Sonic Universe #74 Preview/Spoilers/Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic Universe #74 Preview/Spoilers/Discussion

Postby TurboTailz » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:37 am

I think Phage foreshadows a greater threat to all, support or just there to be there again to fill up panel slots. She can be interesting for the fact that she's interested in Nicole's physical form. Her character looks like she might be build as Nicole, but just an evil version so this can be her ongoing rival in future stories.

I think working under Eggman is just one of her cover ups or will be since there's so much she can do in the digital world and electronics in general. That's my insight on that character throughout Spark of Life arc. She might not be great now because how she was introduce, but I hope she can become greater in later stories.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:39 am

This was a great issue, and it was intense. Seeing Phage grow bigger made the action more exciting, and the way he infected Dr. Ellidy's robots was also pretty tense. Seeing Big's skilled fishing skills was also cool. The conversations between Sally and Nicole were also good and made the story better. The way that Sally and Nicole fought Phage was a clever way to do it, especially how Nicole tried closed that wall. Seeing Tails and Big fight off those Dark Gaia monsters was pretty brutal. When the robots broke into the room Dr. Ellidy was in, he placed the Red Star Ring into the machine, and this transformed Nicole into Overclocked Nicole, and that was awesome. And the way she took care of Phage after that was also cool, and this disinfected the robots, which helped Tails and Big with the Dark Gaia Monsters. The ending of the story was also nice, and seeing them fly off in the end was also cool. The Off Panel was also pretty good too. Also, I'm glad Sally made it out OK by the end of this story arc, but what was with the line "Will Sally sacrifice it all to save her friends and the world?" in the solicit? Was that to scare the readers or what? Either way, this story arc overall was nice and had good character development as well.
NiTROACTiVE
BumbleClan

Postby Sciz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:37 am

Reminds me of how I felt about Shadow Fall, overall. Good idea for a plot, lots of nice little character moments, new villain not established well enough to be particularly interesting. Eclipse turned out better in his second go around, so I'm not too worried about Phage in the long run, whenever she comes back. Digital world could use some creative rethinking as well, but that might just be my inner programmer talking.
Sciz
BumbleFan

Postby Scruffy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:20 am

Wow, there's been a lot of negativity in this thread. :| I enjoyed the arc and had no major issues with it. My jaw dropped that NICOLE of all people got a super form. That was a pretty awesome moment, but I guess it's true that I would have liked to see what she could do other than just slamming a door shut.

I'm intrigued to find out more about Phage's back story - what was the mistake that he/she/it made in the past? I do have a couple of theories, but I'm pretty sure the chances that it is a reincarnated Eve and/or Adam are practically nil. The other one is probably waaaaaaaaay off base too, but I was just thinking... is it possible that Phage is Tails Doll? I mean, we saw it sneaking aboard the Sky Patrol, so we know it's still in play. While Phage probably most strongly resembles a cat, it's arguable that its design is a bit fox-like. That circle on its forehead could represent that control jewel sticking out of the Tails Doll's head. And as a robot, maybe Tails Doll doesn't get a Sims icon for its avatar like Sally and Dr. Ellidy did. As Nicole pointed out (sort of anyway, in this issue... was this discussed in the previous issues? I'll have to go back and check), one's digital avatar is a representation of how they see themselves. Well, if the fanbase can see Tails Doll as some twisted, horrifying monster, it makes sense to appear as just that (not to mention its ultimate form from directly before/after Worlds Collide). The main problem with this theory is how Phage got into Dr. Ellidy's systems - the logical conclusion is that it infiltrated when Dr. Ellidy started checking out the digital realm in the first place and left the back door open, but that doesn't answer how Tails Doll would get into the digital realm in the first place.

Oh, and one question on the topic of those Sims avatar icons - why did Sally's change from green to red throughout this issue?
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby Zack_GLC » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:44 pm

I can see why some people are disappointed with this story, it was kind of anti-climactic, but I wouldn't say Leah blew it. That's a little far. I can't remember what the last story she wrote was exactly, but I know this was an improvement. She just started contributing stories recently, and is already improving. I don't think people should be dropping the book since this is kind of an experimental time in the comics. Whoever did that is a drama queen (as another poster has already said). Keep doing yo thang Leah. I'm excited to see more.
Zack_GLC
BumbleNoble

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius