Sonic Universe #74 Preview/Spoilers/Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic Universe #74 Preview/Spoilers/Discussion

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:45 pm

...Am I the only person who thought this arc was pretty solid beginning to end? I guess I can see the issue with Phage and Tails and Big's only contribution was to grab the Chaos Emerald but I'm really not seeing how this arc was apparently so horrible someone would drop the book over it?

It might not have been the most action packed story of all time but it was overall a really solid character and word building piece. Sometimes the smaller simpler arcs are nice.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Mikail » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:15 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:...Am I the only person who thought this arc was pretty solid beginning to end? I guess I can see the issue with Phage and Tails and Big's only contribution was to grab the Chaos Emerald but I'm really not seeing how this arc was apparently so horrible someone would drop the book over it?

It might not have been the most action packed story of all time but it was overall a really solid character and word building piece. Sometimes the smaller simpler arcs are nice.

I agree. Also, I'd say this is Sally's best story in years, if not the best ever. I'd say this was a return to form for her, but I don't remember the last time she was written this well.
Mikail
BumbleNoble

Postby Sunwalker » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:52 pm

I got the issue today from Comixology.

I liked the dynamic between Sally and Nicole. In the real world it was Nicole who usually aided Sally, but now it was Sally who came into Nicole's realm and fought side by side with her.

During the fight, Phage stated that she had to accomplish her mission otherwise Eggman wouldn't forgive her for her past mistakes with him. This implies that there is more to her than just being a minion of him. Since the comic is a serial medium, I assume it has more about Phage's origin to be revealed in the future. Especially considering that she is still around.

After the fight Nicole said that it was thanks to Nikki's life that she was able to grow. I am interpreting this as that the process of scanning is what got Nikki killed, even though she wasn't healthy to begin with. Or it could just be that she died before her brain could be fully scanned (last issue' s flashback said that the first pass of the scan would get just the general structure, and after thar scan the specifics). I guess this was intentionally left ambiguous. Either way, it was the partial scanned data that allowed Nicole to get a mind of her own and grow self-aware. This was the Spark of Life in my opinion, it was what allowed Nicole to become truly alive, instead of just functioning.

On a different note, the digital issue finally has again the fanarts, the off-panel and the letters. It has been some months since the last time. It was cool to read about the father who got the comic for his 7 and 11 yo, and the younger one got his Tails fanart published. When reading about the comic on the Internet it is easy to forget that there is a younger audience out there, even though I am part of the "periphery demographic" of the comic :P.

The letters also had a question about wether Dulcy would appear again, and it was said that only Ian knows that answer. Of course the editor (who I assume to be the one replying the letters) knows the answer, ha ha :D. I guess this letter was here to tease about her future appearance, in the same way that was done with Honey the Cat on a few occasions.

Nice closure. On to the next issue we go!
Last edited by Sunwalker on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby DabigRG » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:56 pm

This arc has been a good Day in the Limelight to something that isnt just a fight or a treasure hunt . I can understand if some people dont exactly care for that sort of thing in an action series, but whatdayagonnado?
*The origins of Sally and Nicole gave some insight on Mobotropolis, which weve only seen for two issues.
*Phage is...ripe for potential? Not suprised that things turned out the way they did concerning her but, to be fair, a lot of TV shows do this sort of thing with a mysterious, new force. Whether its as affective in a monthly comic book series is up for debate. Though, the comic did do something similar with Mammoth Mogul, Monkey Khan, Iron Queen, and Thrash the Devil, so thats something....
*Tails and Big really were just there but I do appreciate that Big got some "development." Tails doing little to nothing does make me wonder if he might got another arc to himself....
*The offpanel is a such mixed bag, its not even funny. Or unfunny. More "Robotnik, please put your pants back on "-funny. On one hand, it has this Gravity Falls-esque humor about it in that I can totally see Sonic in this type of situation. On another hand, I seem to recall Mr. Esqueves being a basebreaker in the past, so the reception isnt strange. On the other hand, it does remind me a little too much of those weird "Swallow me whole, girl"-pics floating around Google to be safe.*Looks at Nic with disappointed/traumatized look*
*Overclocked Nicole is much more positive. While the garishly bright pinks and silvers were a little much, it served its purpose in a way that gets it a pass.
*What was up with that Control Gem over Sally's head?

Good work, Ms. Baker/Flynn/Chameleon-thingy(?)! Hope we get more stories like this and more stories by you!
DabigRG
BumbleNoble

Postby Tylinos » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:05 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:...Am I the only person who thought this arc was pretty solid beginning to end? I guess I can see the issue with Phage and Tails and Big's only contribution was to grab the Chaos Emerald but I'm really not seeing how this arc was apparently so horrible someone would drop the book over it?

Despite the issues I had with Parts 3 and 4 (the first half of Part 3 feeling disjointed to me and the climax of Part 4 feeling cheap), I enjoyed it as a whole for pretty much the reasons you said. I loved the character interactions, and it did some pretty solid world building. It was a fun little arc, but it just had those two bits that hurt my thoughts on it a little.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby ChaosJam » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:03 am

akessel92 wrote:Wow, Leah you blew it. No thanks to this issue a friend of mine is dropping the comics all together. It was a long time coming since this lousy reboot began. But this was the last straw for him. As for me, I don't know. I am just disappointed and this just adds to my growing list of doubts about you and Ian's abilities in writing.

Well I was going to comment on this and MM 47, but you are right I forgot that Ian/Leah are not allowed to stumble on an issue, dark times are upon us. I'm so upset that "a lot of people" are "disappointed" in that Champions story in StH as well. Time to jump ship I guess. That lousy reboot, all the current writer's fault to completely rebuild the whole universe...
Sorry but I had to get that out of my system or I would honestly explode.

My thoughts on this issue, overall I enjoyed it though the ending did seemed a bit rushed. I like the "sister" character building between Sally and Nicole. I like this origin for Nicole so much more than "random computer sent from the real, possible, real real, really an alternate future." I find it interesting that Nicole's original program overtook the "digital brain" easier than Nikki's brain pattern. Makes you think that if Nikki survived, then Nicole wouldn't be more than a dead toned database that probably wouldn't have helped/saved the Freedom Fighters on some occasions. Also it's something Nicole can revisit in the future.
Phage I find interesting and I'm not too concerned about her "just being an Eggman A.I." First we don't know her origin, she seems to be a complicated/strong A.I. that, while works for Eggman, seems to get sidetracked with things that pique her interest; mainly being Nicole now (which also may play into her past failures with Eggman, maybe she has been showing some independent thought lately). She seemed to be very upset she wasn't the superior A.I. and I thinks that's going to play well into her future development.
Overclocked Nicole, not too big on the name. Also not big on how Ellidy just plugged the Red Star Ring into Nicole without a thought on what could happen. Might had been better if he had a few thought balloons during that sequence. But I do like that we have a new "Super form" to play with. I also would like to see the digital world more, maybe with more detail than just a red or green grid.

So for me, overall a good arc with some missteps but nothing too bad.
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:29 am

akessel92 wrote:Wow, Leah you blew it. No thanks to this issue a friend of mine is dropping the comics all together. It was a long time coming since this lousy reboot began. But this was the last straw for him. As for me, I don't know. I am just disappointed and this just adds to my growing list of doubts about you and Ian's abilities in writing.

your friend sounds like a drama queen tbh

I do not really have any experience with the pre-reboot stuff, but, most of what I seem to hear from being on this forums is that, before Ian, most of the writing was not actually very good, so I am not sure why would you doubt his writing at this point, unless maybe you were judging him in a context other than "people who've written for Sonic." like sure if you wanted to compare Ian's writing to something like The Maxx, he might not live up to your expectations, but I dont know why you'd do that.

I dont see what's lousy about the reboot. for one thing, just as this arc is getting a bit of negative reaction, the Champions arc in its companion series seems to be getting a lot of positive reception. maybe you hate Champions too, I dunno, but most people seem to be loving it, so it seems like some cognitive dissonance to say it's all ruined when there's a good arc and a different arc going at the same exact time.

for me, the reboot is a blessing. it happened just before I suddenly became interested in reading the comics, and thus I, as a new reader, was basically being handed an entirely new world that I would get to experience as it goes, rather than needing any prior experience. if I had tried to jump into the middle of the post-reboot, I probably would've been a lot less satisfied, as I'd be wading into a big confusing mess that I didnt understand the history of.

from what little I understand of the old stuff, this new universe seems so much more consistent. if I was in Ian's shoes, I'd probably feel inconvenienced at first, having to scrap my years worth of plotting I'd been working on to get a new slate... but in the long run, I'd be relieved to have a new slate. a slate where I am the one making the rules, rather than trying to salvage Penders' goofy concepts.

like, worst case scenario, people lost some characters they liked such as Scourge, Mina, Shard, etc. but, in exchange for losing that, they get an entirely new world to explore with fresh eyes. I dont see why people are so opposed to that
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby TurboTailz » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:58 am

How did they blew it? What were you expecting that it didn't meet your expectation? What does your friend has to do with you and your likes? I can understand if you're losing interests with the comic and stuff, but getting dissatisfied because of a friend response is kind of silly. Nevertheless the franchise was knocking on death door seeing what characters could return or not. The reboot is still fresh and it's trying to gain what it has lost and neither of us liked what has happen.

So you either gonna stick with the comics for your own personal interest because you like Sonic or just drop it and see ya later til you come back.

I do have a question though

What is it that you don't like about Ian's writing?

My only problem with his writing is that I think he holds back on the action a bit, but then again I have to understand this isn't anime / dragon ball Z fight scenes. However Champion arc was decent with the fight scenes so I approve on that. His endings sometimes can be a bit soft like back with Scourge when he was Super. Sonic tricked him to go back to normal to prove he can beat him in any form. I wish Scourge beat Sonic a bit more to the point he forgot he was running out of energy and Sonic made a comeback afterwards.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby QuantamEdge » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:12 am

I'd say this is probably one of the stronger stories in the reboot. What it lacks in story somewhat, it makes up in character focus. Except for Tails :P I really enjoyed how much mystery there was after several arcs that haven't been that unpredictable. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoy Aleah's writing here, especially since Sally doesn't feel too much of a Mary-Sue here.

There are some stumbles, but most stories have them. As for seeing Aleah do more work, I'd be more than game. Plus I want to see her write Sonic once and for all :P
QuantamEdge
BumbleKnight

Postby SimonSays » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:11 am

Coming out of Bumble-hiatus to give my thoughts on the issue.

While I was expecting more of a twist or "big reveal" during this issue and ended up a little disappointed, I really enjoyed the arc as a whole, and thought it was a nice change of pace from the other writers. It was a slower build and did a great job of fleshing out Sally, Nicole, and Ellidy's characters. The Sally and Nicole friendship was well written, and I think this is the most likeable Sally's been in awhile, especially in part 3. The character interactions and the flashbacks were the highlights of the arc, and I said it before but I hope that this is how more of the characters origin stories are explored later on. It sounds silly, but I think my favorite moment in this issue was when Sally was too logical-minded to imagine herself with superpowers in the digital world. It was small, but I liked what it said about her.

I think Phage was the biggest weak point- only because the arc seemed to be setting her up to be someone relevant to Nicole and Ellidy, but by the end, she's as unrelated to them as Naugus or Metal Sonic. Whether or not that stays the case once we learn more about her, it really should've taken place here. I don't think it's a good idea to ask the question "just who is the mystery character???" if the answer is going to be the obvious/sensible choice. That was my gripe with Mecha Sally as the traitor. Not that it happened, but that the book was still acting like it was going to blow my mind with the reveal. I was expecting Phage to get the same kind of awesome development that the others got during this arc, so I don't think my disappointment comes from what happened, but instead that I thought there were four main characters in this arc, not three.

So, Phage didn't really do much for me this arc. But I didn't like Eclipse in his first arc and now the little turd is one of my favorites from the rebooted cast. I think once I'm past that she's got a different story than I was expecting, she might become more likable. Wanting to make something up to Eggman sounds like it might be interesting. Have to wait and see.

I'd really like to see Aleah take on another arc sometime. I think she'd be especially suited to something with Antoine and Bunnie in it. Her strengths and weaknesses are different from Ian or Tracy's, and it feels refreshing. It's hard to tell from just one story, but I feel like she's a lot better at the small, introspective cast, while Ian thrives on stories with a gazillion characters in it like Champions and Treasure Team Tango. I hope we get to see more from her again in the future.
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby Shadowthehedgehog » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:55 am

Well if you never cared about sally or nicole, I can see why this arc wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.
Shadowthehedgehog
BumbleKnight

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:42 am

Getting breadcrumbs on Phage [in general] was definitely the disappointing part of this arc to me [but hey, at least the door have been left open for a return - seems to be a thing atm], but the Sally, Nicole [and to a lesser extent, Big] moments were good.
Chosenoneknuckles
BumbleNoble

Postby NicTheWeasel » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:35 pm

Wow. The last page really made my jaw drop.
Not the end of the story, but the covers for #75. ... Really?!?! A total of NINE covers?
*insert Yosemite Sam rant here*

Spark of Life was a good story though. Possibly my favorite since the reboot. (Either this or Waves of Change.) Very character-driven and compelling. I liked it a lot and it makes me look forward to whatever's around the corner. This was just the right time for an arc that was so strong in terms of the things that I enjoy in my entertainment. Frankly, I needed a little more optimism and enthusiasm for the Sonic books and this arc delivered.
NicTheWeasel
BumbleFan

Postby Axel T Rat » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:27 pm

+Nicole has a super form
+Some interesting new skills with Sally
+Villainous breakdown a plenty.

=Still a whole lot of unanswered questions regarding Phage
=Split between how much time we get between Sally/Nicole bonding and the action

-Said super form only gets briefly

BTW, has anyone else noticed that Overclocked Nicole kinda looks like "Trance" forms from various Final Fantasy games?
Axel T Rat
BumbleKnight

Postby akessel92 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:10 am

Well my reasoning for why Leah blew it is that so much could have been added in this issue. Such as phage, I don't mind her being eggman's flunky but compared to other new introduced villains in this continuity (excluding the egg bosses) such as captain metal, Black Death and Eclipse whom are properly introduced while phage nothing. She has no backstory, no influence nothing she's just an ADAM and EVE wannabe. Also, not much was done with Nikki as well. I mean all we have is pictures and nothing else on her aside from she's ellidy's daughter and she died the end. I mean though I did liked most of the arc, however but because these details are barely touched upon it's simply the one weak link that toppled what would have been a great arc.

Also, it feels rushed because it's the second to the last issue the crossover on the universe side. I guess this is why hate the crossover because it pulls focus away from the main stories and everything has to be finished when it comes along. This makes it all the more disheartening that a dumb crossover gets priority over main story.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius