Sonic Universe #74 Preview/Spoilers/Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic Universe #74 Preview/Spoilers/Discussion

Postby therealfalconpawnch7 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:06 pm

So how about Bigs Fishing Skills, reminds me of the Sonic Adventure Race me and my friends are having, specifically the Big Portion. (Awkward Attempt to change subject is awkward)
therealfalconpawnch7
BumbleKnight

Postby Sunwalker » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:13 pm

These nods to the game lore is something that I rally like about the comics. There isn't much consistency in the games, but the comic still manage to work them into something cohesive to the storyline.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby SonicSoul » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:14 pm

So can this arc be generally summed up as another 'started off really good but kinda fell apart at the climax' type of deal?
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby TurboTailz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:15 pm

therealfalconpawnch7 wrote:So how about Bigs Fishing Skills, reminds me of the Sonic Adventure Race me and my friends are having, specifically the Big Portion.

Yeah that part was cool in the issue. I'm kind of happy Big is getting some development than just being there to be there. He doesn't appear much in this arc, but I like his direction. He's reliable, but makes me wonder if he's the strongest in the group next to Amy, Rotor and Bunnie.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:17 pm

Big's great, but I'd hardly say he develops at all. He shows off why he's a wonderful character to have around, he's useful, he's funny, and he's got a bit of complexity in his simplicity that you wouldn't always expect. He doesn't really learn anything or grow at all though, so he doesn't really develop. That's certainly okay with his performance.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby TurboTailz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:27 pm

Penguin God wrote:Big's great, but I'd hardly say he develops at all. He shows off why he's a wonderful character to have around, he's useful, he's funny, and he's got a bit of complexity in his simplicity that you wouldn't always expect. He doesn't really learn anything or grow at all though, so he doesn't really develop. That's certainly okay with his performance.

Agreed, but I hope he gets just a little bit more.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:46 pm

I'd say that at the very least, Big has proven in this arc why he deserves to be on the Freedom Fighters as a B-list supporting cast member instead of just shoved off to see once every blue moon. He's simple and more of a gag than others, but he's able to bring just as much to the table as Tails, Amy, Bunnie or Antoine.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:09 pm

Just read it. Liked the story overall, but it started much stronger than it ended.

After the reveal that Phage worked for eggman, the villain just went downhill. I don't know about you guys, but having Phage afraid of repurcussions from Eggman is just tiring for me. I'm sure people are tired of hearing me say this, but after the reboot, i was hoping Eggman would be less "Robo-Robotnik" evil and more "Dr. Eggman" silly and scheming. It seems really weird, when characters like Breezie handle him like he's a joke, while everyone who works for him lives in terror of the guy.

Also Overclocked Nicole seemed very underplayed here. We saw Burning Blaze for the first time in Pirate Plunder Panic. In it, she took out the entire Egg-o-War. Overclocked Nicole... closed a door. I mean she doesn't have to be a fighter, but if she did some cool stuff and manipulated the digital world to a degree similar to how OP she was back on Mobius Prime or something, that would have been neat. I mean its a given she'd be more effective than phage after upgrading, but that doesn't really gauge what she can really do. Hopefully this is supposed to be an appetizer of sorts and not the last time we'll see of the form in awhile. With the red star rings in their protection, I assume we'd see the form more often than we'd see Super Sonic (barring crossovers and the like)

really loved the character interactions and the backstory in this. Would love to see another arc that gives us an excuse to sit back and discuss characters and history.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Kureejii Lea » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:11 pm

TurboTailz wrote:The off panel didn't have that intention and ya both know that. This is the internet and they're full of traps. I just stepped into one and now I got two super saiyans on my trail.

That's no reason to dismiss someone's feelings. Speaking of intentions, I would think it obvious that she wasn't trolling, and accusing her of such was rude and completely unnecessary. Please try to be more considerate in the future.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby TurboTailz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:02 pm

Kureejii Lea wrote:
TurboTailz wrote:The off panel didn't have that intention and ya both know that. This is the internet and they're full of traps. I just stepped into one and now I got two super saiyans on my trail.

That's no reason to dismiss someone's feelings. Speaking of intentions, I would think it obvious that she wasn't trolling, and accusing her of such was rude and completely unnecessary. Please try to be more considerate in the future.

Well it did felt out of context for something small as that to go to great lengths. It's not the first time I've seen stuff like that whether it's true or not because we're anonymous after all. However I will apologize for my action earlier I did interpret wrongly. Bumbleking is a very calm and decent forum which I should take under consideration.

However I do like to say one thing
I don't think it is wise to post a personal problem here if a specific concept from the comic that happens to be in good manner need to go to great lengths of explanation. That should be discussed in a thread of it's own.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Chameleon Guy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:37 am

Mavrickindigo wrote: but after the reboot, i was hoping Eggman would be less "Robo-Robotnik" evil and more "Dr. Eggman" silly and scheming.

No, sorry, not that, he commands a lot of armies in the planet, he can't be as silly as in the games, nor as dark as SatAM though. And a lot of people actually complain about his behaviour in the games. As for Breezie... it's just her personality and the way she thinks, it's not like she is really handling Eggman, and the tournament is her world, she is advantaged because she's home. Also, the Champions arc is supposed to be fun with all its AoStH nods.

I agree with everything else on your post anyway.
Chameleon Guy
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:18 am

Chameleon Guy wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote: but after the reboot, i was hoping Eggman would be less "Robo-Robotnik" evil and more "Dr. Eggman" silly and scheming.

No, sorry, not that, he commands a lot of armies in the planet, he can't be as silly as in the games, nor as dark as SatAM though. And a lot of people actually complain about his behaviour in the games. As for Breezie... it's just her personality and the way she thinks, it's not like she is really handling Eggman, and the tournament is her world, she is advantaged because she's home. Also, the Champions arc is supposed to be fun with all its AoStH nods.

I agree with everything else on your post anyway.

I'm saying it didn't have to be that way. I feel the comic missed on a golden oppurtunity to make Eggman a character who has lost everything that once made him great, and as such, he would try desperately to take over the world to return to his past glory, even if he didn't remember WHY he wanted to take over the world so badly (like how Wily didn't know why he felt like smashing eggs in Mega Man 28).

Instead we got an Eggman with the same status quo as before, except now no one, except his underlings, takes him seriously.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Dead Guy Perez » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:33 pm

I think my favorite part of this is Nicole's understated reaction to her transformation: "Oh." :(hearty laughter): Love her design too.

Big was also great in this issue, just like 72. "Yay! I'm a genius!"

Other than that, I don't have a lot to say. There were things that could have been better, but I enjoyed this overall. Maybe I'll have more later after I've let it settle in my mind.
Dead Guy Perez
BumbleNewbie

Postby Kureejii Lea » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:37 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote: no one, except his underlings, takes him seriously.

So... Phage wants to make up for something she did, and that automatically means she's terrified of Eggman, while Breezie, with her own global empire and the confidence that comes with it, in addition to having had worked with Eggman before, defies him on the phone, and that suddenly means that no one takes Eggman seriously, because Breezie apparently represents the average joe.

Sorry, but I think you're jumping to conclusions just a tad.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Astrobot7000 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:27 pm

Personal issues aside (and I'm not trying to say anything about anyone here except for myself), I still liked the Off Panel. It was very Looney Tunesian and made me grin. Because the world is a difficult and complex place it is nice to occasionally see simple cartoonish gags. A person can read as much insensitivity, humor, disgust, or joy into it as they are want to do. At the end of the day I liked it.

As for the issue itself, it was alright. Phage was kinda boring in general, but I liked her speech patterns. The arc itself was overall okay, but that's kind of how I feel about pretty much everything since the reboot. So, no surprise there.

I did like the design of Overclocked Nichole though. Pretty awesome.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius