Sonic Universe #74 Preview/Spoilers/Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic Universe #74 Preview/Spoilers/Discussion

Postby Arkus0 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:33 am

Overclocked Forms? Add that to the list of Super-Forms for fans to play with ^^

Its an interesting idea, but obviously limited to the Digital World or possibly other machines. Anyone else thinking of Overclocked Omega?
Arkus0
BumbleCitizen

Postby Penguin God » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:03 am

A whole lot of decent buildup that didn't really end up paying off in the end. Phage was easy to take care of once the incredibly obvious easy solution came in, and it turns out there really wasn't anything more that the story wanted to tell us about her. The actual plot of this arc ended up so boring it's somewhat irritating: the story literally would have been better if Phage had never even shown up. All she ever does is control the Badniks (a good start) and then vauely creep about the boring digital world until someone closes a door on her. There's obvious teases that she's supposed to have more character later, but I don't know why I'd be interested in finding out when it took four issues for her to get to this non-point. The story ends with her doing nothing, showing barely any character (she gets curious about NICOLE being real but boy does that go absolutely nowhere) and essentially just being forced to leave.

Nicole gets some much-needed character detail (for an arc about her, it's a bit strange that we only really get insight into how she feels at the very beginning of the story and very end, and her reveal of being a failed Nikki was apparently so unimportant it got skipped over outside of a single panel) and that's fine. Her relationship with Sally is shown, and really Sally and Ellidy both come off just fine: this was entirely their arc from the beginning, so that's not too surprising. Ellidy's character arc is really really basic but there's no problems with the execution. Big is still wonderful, and Tails proved that he didn't really need to be here. I don't think Tails did absolutely anything this entire arc, so I guess he was just there to sell some covers.

Really the big redeeming bits of the issue are the characters: just, only some of them.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:35 pm

Got the issue today and enjoyed it a lot. This arc has been a great Character study and I hope we see Phage again in the future and we explore her failures to Eggman.

People keep calling Overclocked Nicole a super form but I don't see it. Her programs are at peak with a Red Ring sure but she doesn't really seem to be like Super Sonic or Burning Blaze level. Then again she appears for two pages and shuts a door on Phage so there's not really enough material to get a grasp on her.

I loved the note it ended on with Ellidy giving Nicole the other Red Star Ring. It shows a nice Subtle development on his part with Nicole.

Also maybe I'm just weird but did anyone else picture him with Jeffrey Combs voice? For some reason that was the first voice to pop into my head reading his dialogue.

Overall a really nice issue to end a really good arc. I hope Aleah gets to do more SU or STH arcs in the future. Like she said she hasn't gotten the chance to write the Blue Blur himself yet.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Astrobot7000 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:55 pm

Why the off panel hate? I thought it was actually really funny.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Razorsaw » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:30 pm

Ellidy's using the ring doesn't strike me as a case of "they could have done this at any time" scenario. Up till then, he wouldn't have done it because he flat out didn't accept Nicole. Him putting the ring in was him finally choosing to put his faith in her, even for a brief moment.
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby Tylinos » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:39 pm

Razorsaw wrote:Ellidy's using the ring doesn't strike me as a case of "they could have done this at any time" scenario. Up till then, he wouldn't have done it because he flat out didn't accept Nicole. Him putting the ring in was him finally choosing to put his faith in her, even for a brief moment.

While I assume that was the intent, the issue doesn't show that in the slightest. The issue only shows him panicking when the Badniks break in, looking to the Red Rings, and putting one on Nicole's console. And it still doesn't change that, acceptance or not, putting the Red Ring in instantly solved the problem.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby apprentice manta » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:44 pm

Astrobot7000 wrote:Why the off panel hate? I thought it was actually really funny.

I'm glad people talked about the Off Panel because it WOULD have been upsetting for me to see that w/ no warning. I've never been more grateful for sonic stadium's spoiler tags. As a recovering anorexic, I still struggle alot about body image, seeing myself as fat even when doctors warn me I'm still underweight.

Body shaming is not something I want to see in media. I don't like it when someone's weight or appearance is the punchline. I cringe at comedic weight gain gags: all the inflation & fat fetish art on deviantart can be very triggering. At least on tumblr you can block certain tags. I've actually burst into tears seeing fat Equestria Girls Fluttershy art because I'm like "that's me. that's what I'll become." Eating disorders are scary. They're a serious health concern & shouldn't be a source of quick humor.

Knowing that the Off-Panel is there ahead of time, I can avoid flipping to that page. It means not reading the letters & fanart (which I usually enjoy) but for own comfort level, SU 74 stops when the story stops. I hope this next issue has an Off Panel I can safely enjoy. This wasn't funny to me, not by a long shot.
apprentice manta
BumbleNoble

Postby TurboTailz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:04 pm

Apprentice manta, you better be trolling and I'm serious on that one. I mean I got what ya saying, but come on. The off panel concept was very simplistic that even old cartoons already have done it.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby The Shadow Emperor » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:24 pm

TurboTailz wrote:Apprentice manta, you better be trolling and I'm serious on that one. I mean I got what ya saying, but come on. The off panel concept was very simplistic that even old cartoons already have done it.

Evidently you don't get it, otherwise you wouldn't have made such a rude and inconsiderate post.
The Shadow Emperor

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:25 pm

TurboTailz wrote:Apprentice manta, you better be trolling and I'm serious on that one. I mean I got what ya saying, but come on. The off panel concept was very simplistic that even old cartoons already have done it.

*Tells a very real problem with weight issues* *Considers her to be trolling*

This place can be insanely disgusting sometimes. :(
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby TurboTailz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:47 pm

The off panel didn't have that intention and ya both know that. This is the internet and they're full of traps. I just stepped into one and now I got two super saiyans on my trail.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:50 pm

Not making the situation better with saying crap like that yunno.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby TurboTailz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:55 pm

SonicSoul wrote:Not making the situation better with saying crap like that yunno.

You know what? Y'all not making it any better because you're turning it into a situation than it should be.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Polish Pete » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:57 pm

Can we please just move on? If she has some private issues concerning this silly little Off-Panel, she can just ignore it and skip that page, like she said. Let's just end this discussion here and forget it happened, kay? No need to drag it on even more.
Polish Pete
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicSoul » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:04 pm

Polish Pete wrote:Can we please just move on? If she has some private issues concerning this silly little Off-Panel, she can just ignore it and skip that page, like she said. Let's just end this discussion here and forget it happened, kay? No need to drag it on even more.

I'd be okay with it had someone not accused her of "trolling" when it obviously wasn't and then had no decency to admit they made a slip-up about her personal feelings. But no, let's just act like I'm being a bad person for calling that person out.

And that's all I'm going to say.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius