Sonic comics no longer available in Australia?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Sonic comics no longer available in Australia?

Postby Matt7325 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:55 am

Sooo, I went into my normal comic shop last week and was chatting to one of the guys who works there, and he mentioned there's been a dispute with one of their comic vendors in the USA and there's a whole bunch of licensed comics that are no longer being shipped to Australia - including Sonic and Mega Man, but also other properties too like Adventure Time or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Luckily the guy who owns my store has about about 20 people that buy Sonic regularly so he's specifically ordering those from the USA for us (and absorbing the extra cost - what a nice guy), but he did say they'll no longer be able to afford to put them on the shelves for casual readers to buy on impulse - which as we know, the majority of the Sonic comic's profits come from kids picking it up and buying it on a whim.

Any other Aussies (or anyone else) heard anything about this?
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Re: Sonic comics no longer available in Australia?

Postby TheFatPanda » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:39 am

Not an Aussie, but I've been hearing the same complaints from another Aussie at the SSMB.

...ooooor you're him?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Rubiks » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:08 am

Oh crud. My local comic shop (Comic Zone in Perth Western Australia) stopped being able to get Adventure Time sometime in 2013/2014, then a few months later they couldn't get Regular Show. they explained that Adventure Time was a copyright issue, kinda like how tv shows go up immediately on iTunes for the US, but then take months for us to get. He even showed the catalogue book which has stuff they can order, and then showed how little they can actually get, because of our location. Fascinating, yet also depressing
I'm really hoping they can keep getting it, the guys there are really cool and we always have a good chat.
And also because I like reading Sonic comics
Rubiks
BumbleFan

Postby Matt7325 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:21 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:Not an Aussie, but I've been hearing the same complaints from another Aussie at the SSMB.

...ooooor you're him?

Nope! Not I.
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Postby Scruffy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:38 pm

It hasn't affected me yet, but I have a standing order at my store. My guy orders them in for me anyway, so there probably won't be any change.
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:18 am

My understanding is that Archie ships to the US and Canada only. Any international orders have to be placed through a third party. So maybe it's got something to do with Matt's shop's supplier specifically?

I don't think the digital versions are region locked in any way, so that could be an alternative.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Meliden » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:12 pm

I'm hearing of another Aussie being affected, and their supplier told them that it was a licencing issue too, so they can't post it.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Rubiks » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:45 am

Update.
Went to my local yesterday and questioned why no Sonic issues have been in, and once again licensing issue. Mega Man however is unaffected. They are trying their hardest to see what they can do, as only having one quarter of a cross over is not good business for them.
Rubiks
BumbleFan

Postby TodStar » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:19 am

Ian Flynn wrote:My understanding is that Archie ships to the US and Canada only. Any international orders have to be placed through a third party. So maybe it's got something to do with Matt's shop's supplier specifically?

I don't think the digital versions are region locked in any way, so that could be an alternative.

Being an Aussie, I've been collecting Sonic comics on the official app since SU41 (same with Mega Man since Worlds Collide was announced). And it's the best move I made when it comes to collecting comics (though sometimes I regret missing out on variant covers, and they're sometimes a week late).
*Cheaper than getting them from a newsagent/newsstand, comic shop or online (like eBay, for example)
*Gets to the reader/collector quicker than the outlets above (for Aussies, at least)
*The only space you're using up is in your mobile device, which is pretty small for each issue (I think)

That's just my opinion. I'm sure there's plenty who prefer physical comics to digital, but I just wanted to throw my two cents out there...
TodStar
BumbleFan

Postby Matt7325 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:46 am

I'd be tempted to go digital only, especially as I tend to rebuy all of it when the TPBs are released, but I've been buying the comic for 22(ish?) years - it'd feel weird to stop now.
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Postby Scruffy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:58 am

rage.jpg

...balls.

Ian Flynn wrote:My understanding is that Archie ships to the US and Canada only. Any international orders have to be placed through a third party. So maybe it's got something to do with Matt's shop's supplier specifically?

Ummm... why does the Sonic comics app only have up to issue #264?
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby TheFatPanda » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:27 am

So why is this only affecting Australia not every other non-US territory?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Scruffy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:59 am

TheFatPanda wrote:So why is this only affecting Australia not every other non-US territory?

Excellent question.
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby Sunwalker » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:53 am

Scruffy wrote:Ummm... why does the Sonic comics app only have up to issue #264?

Try the Comixology app, it has all the issues, from #1 to #271.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Scruffy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:39 pm

Sunwalker wrote:
Scruffy wrote:Ummm... why does the Sonic comics app only have up to issue #264?

Try the Comixology app, it has all the issues, from #1 to #271.

Thanks, I'll check that out.
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius