STH#270 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: STH#270 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Sparky » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:17 pm

Shadowthehedgehog wrote:You realize Metal Sonic had just finished trying to kill them, yet you're trying to tell me Omega and Shadow are going to relate to him? That's a pretty large leap in logic.

I don't see the problem, since Shadow is working for the very government that caused Maria's death, the ARKs shutdown, Gerald's insanity, etc etc to happen.
Sparky
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:26 pm

Penguin God wrote:Considering Omega and Shadow weren't really GUN yet and Rouge wasn't there on GUN business, they probably just thrashed him and left the bot for Eggman to repair. Sonic Heroes was a game without very lasting consequences for anybody involved.

Well, technically speaking, Shadow and Omega never joined GUN. Shadow is a free agent who just happens to exclusively work with GUN, and Omega is... around? The comic dances around this by simply not addressing who formally is part of GUN and who isn't - they're just doing missions.

SimonSays wrote:Omega screams KILL ANNIHILATE DESTROY the whole game and you don't think he'd relate to the robot that just tried to do all those things to Eggman?

Neo Metal Sonic wasn't so much rebelling against Eggman as he was actively taking his place and looking to conquer the world - a "Metal Overlord for a robotic world," or words to that effect. Given Omega's single-mindedness about destroying Eggman's robots and Shadow's general ruthlessness, I don't see why they didn't just rip Metal Sonic's head off then and there.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:08 am

if all they were going to do was trash him, I dont know why they wouldnt have done it right then and there. instead they gave each other knowing looks, which to me implied they intended to use him for something. but, obviously, the plotline was never followed up on
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:29 am

AllHailShadow wrote:if all they were going to do was trash him, I dont know why they wouldnt have done it right then and there. instead they gave each other knowing looks, which to me implied they intended to use him for something. but, obviously, the plotline was never followed up on

I think "knowing looks" is a bit of a stretch. I don't think you can clearly read any motivation from that awful CG. And... y'know, Omega being unable to emote.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:31 am

Y'know I've been thinking. Is the Neo Metal Sonic scene hinting at something big happening with Metal? I mean earlier he was hunting down info about the Dark Gaia Temples and when told to focus on the Tournament he looked like he was thinking about for a minute other than just dropping the Apotos elder and following Eggman's orders.

Could this arc see Metal Sonic grow into a more sentient being?
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Penguin God » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:12 pm

Breezie encouraging Metal Sonic's growth as a person in Sonic Heroes is a pretty blatant foreshadowing that something will happen. I somewhat doubt he's going to go back to that persona though.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby The KKM » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:44 am

SonicBlueRanger wrote:Could this arc see Metal Sonic grow into a more sentient being?

oh god please no not again
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Sciz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:01 am

Still endlessly fun, like all good tournament arcs, although for several reasons beyond just the fighting. Wish we could've seen Knux vs. Amy play out a bit, but space constraints, whaddya gonna do. Wouldn't mind seeing Amy throw down with another power character properly again, though. Been a long time since the Iron King.

Kinda miss Metal being able to pull off the T-1000 schtick.
Sciz
BumbleFan

Postby Mordum » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:59 am

Ian Flynn wrote:Neo Metal Sonic wasn't so much rebelling against Eggman as he was actively taking his place and looking to conquer the world - a "Metal Overlord for a robotic world," or words to that effect. Given Omega's single-mindedness about destroying Eggman's robots and Shadow's general ruthlessness, I don't see why they didn't just rip Metal Sonic's head off then and there.

My favorite thing about Metal Overlord as a concept (that Heroes really never explored in much depth, perhaps for the best?) was the fact that he seemed to find the idea of himself being both Sonic and a god on equal standing. Chaos data, Ultimate Life Form data (whatever those even are), all seemed to flow into the idea that Metal had understood, even if subconsciously, that weird pseudotheological hang up concerning Sonic's existence as a freelance miracle that goes around stopping apocalypses.

The running quasi-religious-but-not-really-yet-kind-of theme is my favorite thing about the 3D games for a variety reasons, but Overlord was the best individual idea to come out of that. Game continuity alluded JUST ENOUGH to Metal Sonic's personality disorders and neuroses being doubled on by trying to cope with some higher destiny and existence that put him in a place where he had to actively hunt down godhood not just to gain power, but feel like himself.

I think Shadow can relate to that. Stripping "Ultimate Life Form" of its literal, sci fi connotations and taking Shadow as he actually is in context, a genetically engineered being who is capable of resonating with catalysts that create miracles during apocalyptic scenarios, and he and Metal share a relatable core in that game as two beings made to be things they may not have been obligated to be had they just been born naturally. The curse of being man's attempt to sync with the divine.

So I would grok those who don't interpret Shadow as wanting to kill Metal at the end of Heroes.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby LordLaharlsVassal » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:26 pm

Mordum wrote:My favorite thing about Metal Overlord as a concept (that Heroes really never explored in much depth, perhaps for the best?) was the fact that he seemed to find the idea of himself being both Sonic and a god on equal standing. Chaos data, Ultimate Life Form data (whatever those even are), all seemed to flow into the idea that Metal had understood, even if subconsciously, that weird pseudotheological hang up concerning Sonic's existence as a freelance miracle that goes around stopping apocalypses.

The running quasi-religious-but-not-really-yet-kind-of theme is my favorite thing about the 3D games for a variety reasons, but Overlord was the best individual idea to come out of that. Game continuity alluded JUST ENOUGH to Metal Sonic's personality disorders and neuroses being doubled on by trying to cope with some higher destiny and existence that put him in a place where he had to actively hunt down godhood not just to gain power, but feel like himself.

I think Shadow can relate to that. Stripping "Ultimate Life Form" of its literal, sci fi connotations and taking Shadow as he actually is in context, a genetically engineered being who is capable of resonating with catalysts that create miracles during apocalyptic scenarios, and he and Metal share a relatable core in that game as two beings made to be things they may not have been obligated to be had they just been born naturally. The curse of being man's attempt to sync with the divine.

So I would grok those who don't interpret Shadow as wanting to kill Metal at the end of Heroes.

Wow! What a sublime analysis of Metal’s state of mind in Sonic Heroes, I am so touched and incredibility impressed at the same time, I could kiss you!

I see Shadow and Metal having a short of connection ever since I looked through the cutscenes from Sonic Rivals 2, they work surprisingly well together even when Eggman is offline and Shadow treats Metal rather well all things consider. Shadow to me seems to feel a short of kinship with most weapons, befriending Omega in the end (SH), working with Metal (SR2), bonding with Emerl in the end while resisting(SB), treating the disguised Metal in Sonic Free Riders pretty good (not as good as many of the other goody two shoes characters of the franchise would, but much better than I was expecting from him).
LordLaharlsVassal
BumbleFan

Postby SonicSoul » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:37 pm

Free Riders was pretty weird with character portrayals.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius