Sonic X-Treme is out!

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Sonic X-Treme is out!

Postby Betz! » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:37 am

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2015/02/son ... -playable/

Come be a part of the fun! Don't just be cool, be X-Treme! (get it?)

Betz!
BumbleKnight

Re: Sonic X-Treme is out!

Postby Kellox » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:35 pm

:(hearty laughter):

I am so happy but also creeped out since it was just a week ago that I was watching fan made documentaries on Sonic X-treme.

But only one level is out right?
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby RadRed89 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:09 pm

No offense to anyone who's been looking forward to this, and I won't say much since I haven't actually played this game, but it looks...not good.

I've heard people say that if Sonic X-Treme had came out back when it was supposed to, it could have been a competitor with Super Mario 64 or Crash Bandicoot. I really don't see it. It looks incredibly slow for a Sonic game, and the camera is way too close to Sonic during gameplay.

Sonic Adventure 1 had it's own problems (and it's aged like milk), but I think the Sonic Fandom is lucky that it came out instead of X-Treme.
RadRed89
BumbleNoble

Postby Betz! » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:30 pm

RadRed89 wrote:No offense to anyone who's been looking forward to this, and I won't say much since I haven't actually played this game, but it looks...not good.

I've heard people say that if Sonic X-Treme had came out back when it was supposed to, it could have been a competitor with Super Mario 64 or Crash Bandicoot. I really don't see it. It looks incredibly slow for a Sonic game, and the camera is way too close to Sonic during gameplay.

Sonic Adventure 1 had it's own problems (and it's aged like milk), but I think the Sonic Fandom is lucky that it came out instead of X-Treme.

Think back. It was the 90s. They didn't exactly get everything down at that point.
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby Kellox » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:01 pm

Not to mention the Sega Saturn was a really hard system to develop games for and there were a lot of problems and misscommunication between the American development team and Japanese Sega.

I don't think Sonic X-teme would have been a Saturn-saver but it would have kept some of the hardcore Sonic fans happy because 3D blast didn't do it justice and Sonic R and Sonic Fighters didn't satisfy the fans either.

I do wonder trough if it had been released back then with characters like Sally and Tiara being in a game and it's influence on the rest of Sonic Media.

Would we today now have wars between Sally, Amy AND Tiara fans? :P
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby Adamis » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:34 pm

RadRed89 wrote:No offense to anyone who's been looking forward to this, and I won't say much since I haven't actually played this game, but it looks...not good.

Keep in mind that this release is based on a really early build that wasn't supposed to be seen by the general audience. A test of some sort.
Adamis
BumbleNoble

Postby Dead Guy Perez » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:54 pm

"I don't think that's the point right now, Knuckles."

Seriously though, big picture. I also haven't played the release just yet, and I kind of agree that I'm not sure how well the game would have worked ultimately. However, I think anytime we get to see or play an unreleased game, especially in a major franchise, is a big deal and worth celebrating. Sonic X-treme is also a game that has captured people's imagination because of how in-depth Chris Senn has been about the development over the years. I kind of feel bad for the guy, it's a shame that the only Sonic games he's worked on have been an unfinished game that was never released, and an unfinished game that was released.

So, I'm not saying I think the game would have been anywhere near something like Mario 64. I'm just saying that, either way, I think it's cool that we're getting this much.
Dead Guy Perez
BumbleNewbie

Postby Spinehog » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:09 am

Keep in mind this demo isn't anything like the later in development video and images that have surfaced of the game. While this demo may not be particularly impressive, the final game may have been. That being said, Sonic has never seemed to truly find his footing in 3D and I doubt X-Treme would have overpowered Mario 64.

Speculation aside, and more to the point however, I am incredibly grateful that there are fans out there with this level of dedication. I only had the time to play about 2 minutes of the demo, but I am overjoyed to have this little piece of gaming history.
Spinehog
BumbleNoble

Postby Betz! » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:33 am

RadRed89 wrote: I only had the time to play about 2 minutes of the demo, but I am overjoyed to have this little piece of gaming history.

Wait until the entire game comes out! :D
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby Excelhedge » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:00 am

The sonic fandom confuses me.

They rave and complain with every New game saying it's crappy and unfinished. Then turn around and get excited to play an unfinished canceled game.
Excelhedge
BumbleKnight

Postby Sunwalker » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:16 am

Excelhedge wrote:The sonic fandom confuses me.

They rave and complain with every New game saying it's crappy and unfinished. Then turn around and get excited to play an unfinished canceled game.

It is not an official SEGA release, and also this game gained a sort of legendary status because of its development history and because it never came out. I guess that if it was released back then it would be disliked, especially because it would not match by a huge margin the hype generated by the Genesis era games.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Betz! » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:22 am

Sunwalker wrote:
Excelhedge wrote:The sonic fandom confuses me.

It is not an official SEGA release, and also this game gained a sort of legendary status because of its development history and because it never came out. I guess that if it was released back then it would be disliked, especially because it would not match by a huge margin the hype generated by the Genesis era games.

That and its the spiritual predecessor to Lost World.
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:49 pm

I realize this is just a demo but I'm hoping future releases will have XP support cos I can't open it
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby ChaosJam » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:41 pm

AllHailShadow wrote:I realize this is just a demo but I'm hoping future releases will have XP support cos I can't open it

Seeing as how Microsoft's own XP support has been gone for almost a year, I doubt that will happen.
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:46 pm

I mean Windows32 in general, not specifically XP. people on Vista ( (hearty laughter) ) are saying they cant open it either. if I can run Generations on XP, I should be able to run source code from 1997 :P
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius