SU #73 - Spark of Life, Pt. 3: Talkback & Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: SU #73 - Spark of Life, Pt. 3: Talkback & Discussion

Postby Chosenoneknuckles » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:12 am

Liking the character development for Nicole, Sally and Dr Ellidy here. Phage falls abit flat in comparison atm, though.

I wonder how Nicole will take the truth of her origin in the finale?
Chosenoneknuckles
BumbleNoble

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:23 pm

I seriously doubt Ian's going to kill off Phage so soon after her introduction...but I suppose there is a precedent in Black Death.

So...do we know which Emerald is on Isolated Island yet?
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:51 pm

I was just reading an older thread and someone on it made a sardonic comment about how non-sega characters can't star in SU arcs. and now here we are, a story focusing on Nicole, Sally, and Nicole's creator (who was essentially made up on the spot), with Tails and Big only playing supporting roles, and one issue even had Nicole to herself on a variant cover. I'm diggin it.

this is the sixth emerald right? I kinda lost track, but I think the Freedom Fighters have 2, Eggman has 1, Knuckles has 1, and they're competing in the tournament for 1. so that just leaves 1 left for them to pick up after (during?) Worlds Unite?
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Sunwalker » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:37 pm

I also noticed that the story is primarily focused on Archie's exclusive character. But I think that this is a testament on how the writing can stand by itself, without having to rely solely on brand recognition.

I am not saying that the SEGA cast must be put aside, just that it is good to see that there is substance to the writing.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Sciz » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:46 pm

Loved the throwback to that beautiful old story from #151 that's still the bedrock of modern Nicole's character.

re: Eggman
Spoiler: show
Assuming that Phage really is another failed Nikki copy, I'd expect Eggman found her data sitting around the Mobotropolis servers when he was pulling up the roboticizer files during his takeover. Impossible to say yet if she was explicitly reprogrammed to serve him, or if she's doing it of her own volition and serves as an example of how very dark Nicole could've turned out without Sally's guidance. Either way, intelligent AI is one of the most treacherous character archetypes in fiction, so I wouldn't bank on Eggman having a strong grip on her in the long run.
Sciz
BumbleFan

Postby SimonSays » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:01 pm

Sciz wrote:re: Eggman
Assuming that Phage really is another failed Nikki copy, I'd expect Eggman found her data sitting around the Mobotropolis servers when he was pulling up the roboticizer files during his takeover. Impossible to say yet if she was explicitly reprogrammed to serve him, or if she's doing it of her own volition and serves as an example of how very dark Nicole could've turned out without Sally's guidance. Either way, intelligent AI is one of the most treacherous character archetypes in fiction, so I wouldn't bank on Eggman having a strong grip on her in the long run.

This does make me wonder whether Eggman was around in Mobotropolis for any amount of time before Ellidy left, or if he arrived afterwards.
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby Tylinos » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:43 am

AllHailShadow wrote:this is the sixth emerald right? I kinda lost track, but I think the Freedom Fighters have 2, Eggman has 1, Knuckles has 1, and they're competing in the tournament for 1. so that just leaves 1 left for them to pick up after (during?) Worlds Unite?

Yep, that's where they're all at right now. As for the last Emerald, the Universe 75 solicit mentions one, so unless the one here or at the tournament gets lost somehow and has to be found in 75, the last one should show up there.
Actually, since the 75 solicit says Sonic chases Metal Sonic down for the Emerald, it's possible Metal really might steal the tournament one after all.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby ReifuTD » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:27 pm

Before reading this issue,

I was kind of hoping the Digital World was actually some kind Chaos Energy Matrix thingy, Because Chaos Energy seem to be a type of life force in Sonic's world it would be the place where dead souls go. It would have made Nicole and Takal the same kind of being witch would be interesting.

That still might be the case, But if the Digital World was something like that their would have been signs of it, Like Nicole meeting Takal in the past. Unless all the computer options stuff sealed off from the rest of the world.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Axel T Rat » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:19 pm

+Well that was quite the fake-out with Ellidy looking menacing last time. One would assume he was possessed by Phage and probably forget about Dark Gaia.
+Phage is creepy awesome and has some good dialogue.
+Believe this is the first we officially seen Sally without her jacket/vest in the new version
+Surprised we're still able to reference the old Stargazer story, then again Nicole's lynx form did originate from that
+Pretty emotional at times

=Part of me's okay with Phage Eggman related, but part of me wouldn't have minded her as her own entity. And yeah I assume I'm not the only one assuming Phage is female.

-Sorry but species aside, Nikki and Nicole don't look that similar
-Yeah that off-panel sprite is less "Genesis" and more "indy game trying to be retro".
-What's with the "Sim Gem" over Sally? o.o
Axel T Rat
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:36 pm

Axel T Rat wrote:+Well that was quite the fake-out with Ellidy looking menacing last time. One would assume he was possessed by Phage and probably forget about Dark Gaia.

I...honestly don't think anyone would think that.

+Phage is creepy awesome and has some good dialogue.

Am I the only one imagining "her" with kind of a GLADoSy voice?

+Surprised we're still able to reference the old Stargazer story, then again Nicole's lynx form did originate from that

Well Tania Del Rio still works for Archie so that might have something to do with it.

-Sorry but species aside, Nikki and Nicole don't look that similar

Yeah I'm not really seeing the resemblance either.

-What's with the "Sim Gem" over Sally? o.o

Dr. Ellidy had one in part 1.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby TurboTailz » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:48 am

Maybe if Nikkie had some black fur spots there could be some sort of resemblance, but that doesn't mean Phage could take the Nikki's image for future use.

Ellidy's alignment would be put on the line if it were to come to that.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:42 am

I'm still kinda miffed about Phage working for Eggman. She could've had so much potential as her own stand alone villain, but she ended up working for that fat egg instead. I get it, Eggman controls like half the world or whatever, but still, the comic needs more stand alone villains too. I mean look at this:

Team Eggman:

Lord Hood
Axel
Tundra
Thunderbolt (the only Egg Boss whose actually DONE anything so far)
Cassia & Clove
Tassle Boy
Metal Sonic #whoknowsatthispoint
The Hooligans(to an extent. Eggman is always hiring them. We've yet to see them hired by anyone else in the reboot)
Phage

Team-Not Eggman

Captain Metal (Sol Dimension)
Eclipse + Dark Arms
Dr. Julian Snively (Pretty much know he's evil)

See what I mean?

I know we're still world building here, but even so, Phage could've been developed into a major threat on her own. Heck, she could've been a threat to both the freedom fighters and Eggman! Having someone like that running around in the digital world, causing problems for both sides,
maybe try to develop an artificial body like Nicole, or try to gain the resource for her to actually make herself into a real, fleshy being!
!

But in the end, she just end up as another slave for the Eggman Empire. All that potential...
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby akessel92 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:06 am

NxtWaltDisney wrote:I'm still kinda miffed about Phage working for Eggman. She could've had so much potential as her own stand alone villain, but she ended up working for that fat egg instead. I get it, Eggman controls like half the world or whatever, but still, the comic needs more stand alone villains too. I mean look at this:

Team Eggman:

Lord Hood
Axel
Tundra
Cassia & Clove
Tassle Boy
The Hooligans(to an extent. Eggman is always hiring them. We've yet to see them hired by anyone else in the reboot)
Phage

Team-Not Eggman

Eclipse + Dark Arms

See what I mean?

I know we're still world building here, but even so, Phage could've been developed into a major threat on her own. Heck, she could've been a threat to both the freedom fighters and Eggman! Having someone like that running around in the digital world, causing problems for both sides,
maybe try to develop an artificial body like Nicole, or try to gain the resource for her to actually make herself into a real, fleshy being!
!

But in the end, she just end up as another slave for the Eggman Empire. All that potential...

You forgot Naugus, btw. It's still only three issues in. Plus Sniveley was he not a devotee to Eggman empire cause once? For all we know, phage could just be using egghead for her own gains.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby TurboTailz » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:17 am

NxtWaltDisney wrote:I'm still kinda miffed about Phage working for Eggman. She could've had so much potential as her own stand alone villain, but she ended up working for that fat egg instead. I get it, Eggman controls like half the world or whatever, but still, the comic needs more stand alone villains too. I mean look at this:

Team Eggman:

Lord Hood
Axel
Tundra
Cassia & Clove
Tassle Boy
Phage

Team-Not Eggman

Eclipse + Dark Arms

See what I mean?

!

You forgot to put Breezie on the list even though her status is neutral she goes either sides as long its within her favor. Honey could fall under that same belt because she's also a business type.

Phage might work under Eggman, but I think sooner or later if that antagonist still alive then she might run her own show. She's a digital threat to Eggman and FF, but if she too attains a holographic form like Nicole. It probably will increase the threat % a bit.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:23 am

oh yeah, I forgot about Nagus...but Breezie seemed nuetral to me so I didn't bother to put her on the list. I'm just saying Phage would've been better as her own villain when she was introduced instead of working for Eggman until she possibly may or may not betray him.
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius