SU #73 - Spark of Life, Pt. 3: Talkback & Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

SU #73 - Spark of Life, Pt. 3: Talkback & Discussion

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:51 am

Alright, seems people are getting this. Let the games begin!

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Re: SU #73 - Spark of Life, Pt. 3: Talkback & Discussion

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:32 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Let the games begin!

Wrong series :P

Spoiler: show
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:49 pm

It's a good issue, with the writing and art on point again. NICOLE being a failed copy of a personality that ended up turning into her own self is an interesting concept, and Sally and Ellidy are still well fleshed out and realized. Phage was oddly flat though, just being some computer virus for Eggman. With the digital world being so basic and Phage not having much personality outside of the basic motivation, the actual plot felt not underwhelming, but a bit too functional. Ironically in an arc all about cyberspace and NICOLE, it's the parts in the real world not about her that are much more interesting. Tails being there still doesn't add much, it's starting to feel like he's only there so the arc has a big Sega character attached to it.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby akessel92 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Well phage would be if not for the reboot Adam's little sister. So, nicole was an attempt save Ellidy's daughter Nikki, oops I said too much.
Last edited by akessel92 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby Kureejii Lea » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:23 pm

Penguin God wrote: just being some computer virus for Eggman.

Welllllll... it might not be that simple...
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Penguin God » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:52 pm

Then I may retract that the plot is too functional and not interesting enough, and simply say that it takes until the final act to get where it needs to go, which is less unfortunate.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:57 pm

Ryannumber1gamer wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Let the games begin!

Wrong series :P

Spoiler: show

Hush, you. ;P

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:22 pm

Penguin God wrote:It's a good issue, with the writing and art on point again. NICOLE being a failed copy of a personality that ended up turning into her own self is an interesting concept,

Isn't that how Metastability in Rampancy works for A.I's in Halo? I know that's what it was in RvB.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:17 pm

Kureejii Lea wrote:
Penguin God wrote: just being some computer virus for Eggman.

Welllllll... it might not be that simple...

glad to hear that. When I saw Phage for the first time, I was like
:D
but when I read that Phage worked for Eggman, I was like
:|

it just, really floored the momentum for me, like the way it was presented really killed the sense of mystery to the character.

Plus the fact that reveal came so close to us seeing a scene that shows Sally met Lynx Nicole similarly to the way she did back in Mobius Prime, it associated Phage with A.D.A.M to me.

Anyway, really liked the background stuff, I love this world building. I enjoy pretty much everything except for two points

-the aforementioned Phage reveal. Though its not the end of the character's background, making Phage related to Eggman killed a sense of wonder I had at the concept. I was looking forward to some new unaffiliated entity, because "Sonic's World" is sorely lacking in those. Right now the villain groups we have are

Eggman
Eggman Nega (not likely to show up any time soon)
Eclipse (Shadow Villain)
Dr. Wily (Crossover only)
Sigma (Crossover Only)
Captain Metal (Blaze Villain)

Basically for Sonic and the Freedom Fighters, the only villain we have right now is Eggman. though we haven't seen him nearly as much as we used to, I don't think I care for Eggman as the "everlooming threat" that every other villain works for. He's really supposed to be the guy that's always there in the thick of it. I liked how Dr. Finitevus used Eggman to further his goals. That was a perfect use for him.

anyway, back on track

-The ending of the last issue doesn't mesh with the beginning of this one. At the end of #72, Ellidy is berating Sally for snooping where she doesn't belong, and as we open to #73, Sally just ignores it and goes "oh hey, what's this thing we didn't see last issue because it was outside the reader's view?"

other than those two things, I am really enjoying this. I am so, so, so glad we got a Nicole/Sally Arc.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:26 pm

You know what Paige being an Eggman virus reminds of?

Back in #180 where Eggman attacks Sonic and friends because he's trying to wipe Nicole out with a virus before Sonic convinces him to stop because of the return of Enerjak.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:30 pm

Ryannumber1gamer wrote:You know what Paige being an Eggman virus reminds of?

Back in #180 where Eggman attacks Sonic and friends because he's trying to wipe Nicole out with a virus before Sonic convinces him to stop because of the return of Enerjak.

Interesting, though with Nicole being a much less significant threat in this universe, I don't know if he would expedite the creation of such a virus.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:33 pm

Phage is Eggman's creation?...That's kinda lame. I half hoped she was a product of some failed experiment of Ellidy's, or perhaps even a being who is native to the digital world-like a Digimon or something. It was exciting to think of her as a villain with no ties to Eggman, something that we've been sadly lacking since the reboot: Naugus was around for all of three pages, Captain Metal was Eggman's creation, Whisker worked for Eggman at least briefly since Rush Adventure took place in the new reality, and Breezie and the Hooligans are old minions of his as well. All in all, the only villain(s) with no ties to Eggman are Eclipse and the Dark Arms-not to knock them, but it would be nice to have more villains not associated with him.

Although, I must admit that I did not the similarities between Phage and A.D.A.M., and have toyed with the idea of them somehow teaming up...
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby akessel92 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:41 pm

Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:Phage is Eggman's creation?...That's kinda lame. I half hoped she was a product of some failed experiment of Ellidy's, or perhaps even a being who is native to the digital world-like a Digimon or something. It was exciting to think of her as a villain with no ties to Eggman, something that we've been sadly lacking since the reboot: Naugus was around for all of three pages, Captain Metal was Eggman's creation, Whisker worked for Eggman at least briefly since Rush Adventure took place in the new reality, and Breezie and the Hooligans are old minions of his as well. All in all, the only villain(s) with no ties to Eggman are Eclipse and the Dark Arms-not to knock them, but it would be nice to have more villains not associated with him.

Although, I must admit that I did not the similarities between Phage and A.D.A.M., and have toyed with the idea of them somehow teaming up...

But I think Aleah did say that there is more to that virus than just eggman.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:41 am

akessel92 wrote:
Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:Phage is Eggman's creation?...That's kinda lame. I half hoped she was a product of some failed experiment of Ellidy's, or perhaps even a being who is native to the digital world-like a Digimon or something. It was exciting to think of her as a villain with no ties to Eggman, something that we've been sadly lacking since the reboot: Naugus was around for all of three pages, Captain Metal was Eggman's creation, Whisker worked for Eggman at least briefly since Rush Adventure took place in the new reality, and Breezie and the Hooligans are old minions of his as well. All in all, the only villain(s) with no ties to Eggman are Eclipse and the Dark Arms-not to knock them, but it would be nice to have more villains not associated with him.

But I think Aleah did say that there is more to that virus than just eggman.

she did, but the way it was introduced in the comic is no less disappointing. Not only that, but now all of us, after hearing that there is more to it, are waiting to see the concept of the villain redeemed as an interesting concept instead of eagerly anticipating more to do with Phage.

Essentially we went from

"Oh wow, what is Phage and what does it want!?"
to
"Oh, another Eggman creation?" followed by "Well, Aleah said there's more to it... okay?"

Really,t he readers shouldn't have to rely on the author coming to them and going "oh, its going to be different than what you think, I promise!"

I don't know. It could be really cool, but I personally think its a real gamble to tell the story like this in a month-to-month basis, as there's the real chance of losing the audience after they read the issue. If this were like a novel and you had the rest to read, we wouldn't be so hung up on the reveal as we have it here and we'd be able to absorb the story all at once. I am reminded of the time when Mighty first reunited with Matilda and a lot of fans were sorely disappointed that she didn't care about him. I knew that was because that was the problem of the story that would have been addressed in a few issues, but that didn't stop people from looking at that one issue as the end of the story since it was the only one that would show up that month.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby TurboTailz » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:33 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:she did, but the way it was introduced in the comic is no less disappointing. Not only that, but now all of us, after hearing that there is more to it, are waiting to see the concept of the villain redeemed as an interesting concept instead of eagerly anticipating more to do with Phage.

Essentially we went from

"Oh wow, what is Phage and what does it want!?"
to
"Oh, another Eggman creation?" followed by "Well, Aleah said there's more to it... okay?"

Really,t he readers shouldn't have to rely on the author coming to them and going "oh, its going to be different than what you think, I promise!"

I don't know. It could be really cool, but I personally think its a real gamble to tell the story like this in a month-to-month basis, as there's the real chance of losing the audience after they read the issue. If this were like a novel and you had the rest to read, we wouldn't be so hung up on the reveal as we have it here and we'd be able to absorb the story all at once. I am reminded of the time when Mighty first reunited with Matilda and a lot of fans were sorely disappointed that she didn't care about him. I knew that was because that was the problem of the story that would have been addressed in a few issues, but that didn't stop people from looking at that one issue as the end of the story since it was the only one that would show up that month.

Oh well, but it shouldn't had been that surprising giving the fact Eggman's leftover robots were on that island. I guess many were hoping it wasn't connected to Eggman. However why do you think this will lose consumers interests? The arc is okay for me, but it's not stoked up like champions. This arc is calm, relaxing, slow pace and a bit eerie cause of the unknown source in the digital world.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius