More DiC characters in the book

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: More Satam characters in the book

Postby SimonSays » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:55 pm

Almost any old character they could bring back into the series would have to be pretty overhauled to fit with the new universe, a la Breezie, so I can't say I really want existing characters back anymore than brand new ones. Don't get me wrong, I'm always really happy to see old characters have new life breathed into them. But at the same time, who they're going to be in the comic isn't going to be the same as what they were before. It's hard to know exactly what you're going to get if you ask for a retooled Griff or Ari or whoever.

I think the book's already pretty full of SatAM characters too. Besides Sally, Bunnie, Rotor, Antoine, and Nicole, there's also King Max, Naugus, Snively, Rosie, Chuck, Lupe, and Dulcy.

So the matter gets a resounding *shrug* from me. The retooled characters have been pretty great. But the new characters have been pretty great too. Personally, I think more could be salvaged from Underground than SatAM at this point, but we all know that's off the table.
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby Xeric » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:03 pm

SimonSays wrote:Personally, I think more could be salvaged from Underground than SatAM at this point, but we all know that's off the table.

I've never quite understood why. Yeah, the book was originally AoStH and SatAM based, but surely the character's could be salvaged, retooled and have no mention of Underground. Heck, Sonia and Manic don't have to be related to Sonic at the end of the day.
Xeric
BumbleKnight

Postby SimonSays » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:26 pm

I imagine it's the same behind-the-scenes stuff that kept the Underground finale from happening, not that the characters couldn't find a way to fit in the comic universe somehow within the rules. Dunno, same thing with Sonic X and the OVA. It's too bad too, because X had a lot of nice, but poorly executed concepts too.

In a perfect world, the Archie books would be able to be a melting pot of all the other series. Ah well.
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby Kellox » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:27 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing more characters from Underground! Since Mina can't be used, we could use Sonia and Manic as let's say the music artist characters in Sonic's world.
Why is Underground's characters and themes off the table when Satam and Aosth isn't exactly ?
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby Meliden » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:24 pm

It's not that Underground is singled out, it's that SatAM and AoStH are literally the only two exceptions to the 'no alt media concepts' mandate that's in place to streamline the image, so to speak. And they're probably exceptions because they have grandfather status in the comic, being present since the very beginning.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:55 am

#BringBackPseudoSonic

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby ChaosJam » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:13 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:#BringBackPseudoSonic

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#BringBackPseudoSonicNOW
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Postby FoxsDumbSeriesMaker » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:34 pm

The only SatAM character I can think of is Ari, just because he was somewhat important. I'm sure he could work in the comics, though. Eh, I always found Dulcy kind of annoying, which is funny, considering some of the shows I watch have somewhat annoying characters. Again, I'm sure she could be reworked. I look forward to see what Lupe will be like. Hopefully she has a cool redesign. As for AoSTH, Wes Weasley and that General dog-dude would be pretty cool to see. They would need heavy redesigns, like Breezie, but it would be great to see them.
FoxsDumbSeriesMaker
BumbleCitizen

Postby Kellox » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:35 pm

I like Dulcy but her role was a bit lacking compared to the other Satam freedom fighters.

Her design tho is pretty outdated and doesn't match the Sonic style at all so I am wondering if they are going to do the same thing they did with Sonic's dog and just give her a Sonic-body type instead.
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:00 pm

Pollo and Dirk-the Rhino and Bear Freedom Fighters-seem like great blank slates to paint on in my opinion, especially with so many Archie Freedom Fighters gone. Also, the fact that the Guardian of the Time Stones, aka Nick O'Tyme (insert rimshod here), the Kraken, and the Nasty Hyenas were mentioned in the Encyclopedia made me want to see them in-story. Lazaar, his Guardian, and Lupe's unnamed dad also strike me as having potential.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby SimonSays » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:40 pm

Hearing that reminds me of something I've liked about the new continuity A LOT but tend to forget about- none of the new characters, either original or refurbished, have been from freedom fighting groups. A major problem in the old continuity I feel was that they had a million and one freedom fighting teams that bloated out the cast. Almost always approximately 5 or 6 members, like it was some kind of requirement. Usually it meant that only one or two of the members were actually interesting. I mean we had the FF, the Chaotix, the Substitute Freedom Fighters, later the Secret Freedom Fighters, the Wolf Pack, the Arctic Freedom Fighters, Sandblast Freedom Fighters, Nerb Freedom Fighters, Forty Fathoms Freedom Fighters, the Mercian Freedom Fighters, the Downunda Freedom Fighters, and then probably some others I'm forgetting.

I LOVE that the new continuity is sticking to having the classic Freedom Fighters, and then everyone else has their own gimmick. The Chaotix are detectives now, Mighty and Ray are jungle hippies, Knuckles is more concerned with Angel Island. Eclipse is alone. The Meropians are tethered to their city and their own concerns, not Robotnik. Relic is a single historian. Breezie is an independent villain with some lackeys. The Egg Bosses all have their own thing going for them, too.

I feel like there's a lot more storytelling potential introducing characters this way. More focused. Less wasted space. No one's stuck with four other nobodies at any given time. I remember it feeling the most obvious pre-Reboot whenever the Arctic FF were in an issue. There'd be Erma and... the rest. Like, who cared?

So whoever gets added or reintroduced, I really hope they keep up keeping them interesting on an individual scale instead of just tossing out five new heroes at a time where only the leader actually matters. This is how it should've been all along.
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby Zulon Eredas » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:21 pm

Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:Pollo and Dirk-the Rhino and Bear Freedom Fighters-seem like great blank slates to paint on in my opinion, especially with so many Archie Freedom Fighters gone.

Agreed. I'm suprised they hadn't been introduced prior to the reboot.
Zulon Eredas
BumbleNoble

Postby Xeric » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:42 pm

Zulon Eredas wrote:
Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:Pollo and Dirk-the Rhino and Bear Freedom Fighters-seem like great blank slates to paint on in my opinion, especially with so many Archie Freedom Fighters gone.

They did show up at one point, they weren't named, I can't remember which issue it was though. Maybe the Wolf Pack adaptation? I'm not sure.

Ari too. :U
Xeric
BumbleKnight

Postby FoxsDumbSeriesMaker » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:00 pm

Wow, they look completely derped up. You can tell the artists didn't care about design, and why does Ari have a beak??
FoxsDumbSeriesMaker
BumbleCitizen

Postby TurboTailz » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:23 pm

Xeric wrote:
Zulon Eredas wrote:

They did show up at one point, they weren't named, I can't remember which issue it was though. Maybe the Wolf Pack adaptation? I'm not sure.

Ari too. :U

Lupe chopped half of Sally's head off :shock:. Yeah that was one of the worst issues I didn't like.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius