End of console sonic.... Or what?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

End of console sonic.... Or what?

Postby akessel92 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:49 pm

With sega's announcement that will focus on mobile and pc gaming and pulling out of the console market for an indefinite amount of time what will this mean for the comics? Maybe not much but hearing that sega of America will be moving it's headquarters from San francisco to Orange County, it will mean they will be laying off staff and it could mean other changes. Anyone else think so?
Last edited by akessel92 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Re: End of console sonic.

Postby Sunwalker » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:53 pm

For the sake of context, this is the piece of news that akessel92 is probably referring to: Sega to Focus On Digital/PC, Relocating to South California, 300 jobs to go (from Sonic Stadium).
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:08 pm

I'm seeing a lot of news on the SEGA business stuff trickling in, perhaps this thread should be about that in general?

Anyway, I'm worried, as this could mean the end of Sonic soon. Brightest thing I can think of: perhaps SEGA loosens its grip on Archie because it no longer makes Sonic games, same as with Capcom and Mega Man being more laid-back and the only real mandates being legal things (like characters they don't own can't be used)
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:13 pm

When it can no longer make Sonic games, that's when the entire franchise is dead, so there wouldn't be a comic to mandate.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:14 pm

Meliden wrote:When it can no longer make Sonic games, that's when the entire franchise is dead, so there wouldn't be a comic to mandate.

That's true. Unlike Mega Man, Sonic is SEGA's life support system
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby lalalei2001 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:33 pm

What about Sega of Japan and Europe? Couldn't they still make console games?
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Kellox » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:50 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:What about Sega of Japan and Europe? Couldn't they still make console games?

Sega and Sonic Team of Japan is still in the safe-zone, since the arcades games are still doing pretty well
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:56 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:What about Sega of Japan and Europe? Couldn't they still make console games?

The big Sonic team game turned out to be a mobile title.

I'm a little worried
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby akessel92 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:28 pm

I think ign and all those stuck up classicist are to blame for shifting away from consoles. I hope this is just a hiatus but probably not cause sega might go the way of Atari.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby Kellox » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:00 pm

Its pretty sad to see that Sonic Boom failed before it could even deliver I wonder how it will effect the tv show and comic books.
Keep in mind the Tv series are part of the Game series so if there is going to be zero Boom games anymore there is no reason for the company to continue the tv show either.
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby Joggoman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:19 pm

Before people jump to conclusions, the press release itself can be found here https://twitter.com/segabits/status/561161814755377152

Based on what's actually written, I think it's too soon to say definitively that Sonic is "console only". Granted, Digital Games are seen as a growth area into which new focus will be put, but that's not to say console game development has been shelved completely. Indeed, Sonic is only mentioned once, in relation to Sega of America. It will be "reinforced to establish a structure which can generate stable profits." Vague corporate-speak, but the precise impact on the Sonic franchise at this point is unclear, especially as Sonic is their biggest franchise and would probably be the most viable continuing on consoles than all of their other franchises.
Joggoman
BumbleNewbie

Postby akessel92 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:01 pm

Joggoman wrote:Before people jump to conclusions, the press release itself can be found here https://twitter.com/segabits/status/561161814755377152

Based on what's actually written, I think it's too soon to say definitively that Sonic is "console only". Granted, Digital Games are seen as a growth area into which new focus will be put, but that's not to say console game development has been shelved completely. Indeed, Sonic is only mentioned once, in relation to Sega of America. It will be "reinforced to establish a structure which can generate stable profits." Vague corporate-speak, but the precise impact on the Sonic franchise at this point is unclear, especially as Sonic is their biggest franchise and would probably be the most viable continuing on consoles than all of their other franchises.

Oh I see but the way they phrased it seems like they're putting on the shelf. Sega really needs to change its PR. I mean the other companies who make games have a better time explaining changes instead of just either giving corporate jargon and have handle on info and have it blown out of proportion so much that it seems like the sky is falling.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby OncleSam » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:02 pm

I'm confused even after reading all that's on the links here ... No more console Sonic games, only PC/Android games ? Or no more games at all ?
OncleSam
BumbleKnight

Postby akessel92 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:04 pm

OncleSam wrote:I'm confused even after reading all that's on the links here ... No more console Sonic games, only PC/Android games ? Or no more games at all ?

I think it's more focus on mobile and PC games and less console games.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby OncleSam » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:08 pm

I want to say it's too bad if that's true but after Sonic Lost World and Sonic Boom I think it's not bad to have a break from these awful console games.
OncleSam
BumbleKnight

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius