Am I the only one who can't take Metal Sonic seriously?

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Am I the only one who can't take Metal Sonic seriously?

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:18 pm

Spin wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Spin wrote:Sega has overplayed Metal Sonic in the games, the thing in Sonic Free Riders was something else.

Context, plz?

The E-10000B/Metal Sonic moment in regards to seriousness. E-10000B is abducted by Team Dark as he walks by, verbally abused throughout the game while complaining about not feeling good and slowly malfunctioning. Finally the robot short circuits and smokes. And Metal Sonic pops out of the smoke with no real proper explanation and then there's talk about how he masterminded the whole ordeal out of nowhere. It's not explained if Metal Sonic was inside the robot or if he disguised himself as the robot and only Eggman and quite possibly the player didn't recognize him. In short. Sonic Free Riders is a terrible game.

And while Sonic Heroes was no masterpiece. The game made better work with Metal Sonic as the central theme even with the cheesiness. Whereas this just feels like Metal Sonic was added last minute with no thought put into it.

...huh.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Village » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:03 am

yeah.

There is the red guy who can control chaos emeralds with his super emerald. This crimson and black guy who can warp time and space and slow and stop time a long with a myriad of other abilities and this purple girl who does all the fire, all of the fire. And the last two aside from "blue guy has to win at some point type stuff" and how hard sonic's crap has been kicked, i would probably bet on them.

What I'm saying is, sonic's organic enemies are a heck of a lot more intimidating than the robot... who just kind of looks cute now. The last time i took metal sonic seriously was when shadow was trying to convince him to not be a pawn. I thought that was interesting, but that was a while ago
Village
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:57 am

Village wrote:yeah.

There is the red guy who can control chaos emeralds with his super emerald. This crimson and black guy who can warp time and space and slow and stop time a long with a myriad of other abilities and this purple girl who does all the fire, all of the fire. And the last two aside from "blue guy has to win at some point type stuff" and how hard sonic's crap has been kicked, i would probably bet on them.

What I'm saying is, sonic's organic enemies are a heck of a lot more intimidating than the robot... who just kind of looks cute now. The last time i took metal sonic seriously was when shadow was trying to convince him to not be a pawn. I thought that was interesting, but that was a while ago

Heck, even Captain Metal was pretty pathetic. His modular abilities make him look goofy, and he just gets wasted when Blaze starts to actually get serious.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Lord Exor » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:50 pm

I agree with Penguin; by extension, almost every villain in the book is a clumsy oaf. Due to the climate of the series, I wouldn't expect anything more than that from any antagonist. Even if they appear efficacious during their debut, eventually they will succumb to villain decay. (And "efficacious" is relative in this case, considering Sonic can't ever truly lose in a meaningful way.)
Lord Exor
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:56 am

Lord Exor wrote:I agree with Penguin; by extension, almost every villain in the book is a clumsy oaf. Due to the climate of the series, I wouldn't expect anything more than that from any antagonist. Even if they appear efficacious during their debut, eventually they will succumb to villain decay. (And "efficacious" is relative in this case, considering Sonic can't ever truly lose in a meaningful way.)

I believe some villains can still be effective, despite losing. Its when a character is little more than a tool that has one purpose and keeps failing at that designed purpose that it becomes ineffective. At least Eggman tries different variations to his schemes to attempt different results.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Lord Exor » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:48 pm

So did G1 Megatron, but that didn't make his indefatigable pursuit of "plundering the Earth of its resources" any less of a farce. There are only so many times a villain can lose before the inevitable decay takes hold.
Lord Exor
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:10 pm

Lord Exor wrote:So did G1 Megatron, but that didn't make his indefatigable pursuit of "plundering the Earth of its resources" any less of a farce. There are only so many times a villain can lose before the inevitable decay takes hold.

Anyone who says G1 Megatron was a farce clearly didn't watch the movie.

Spoiler: show
As Victor Caroli narrates, "It is the year 2005... The treacherous Decepticons have conquered the Autobots' home planet of Cybertron."

The Autobots were forced off of Cybertron; Megatron had basically all but won. Yes, a lot of his zanier schemes didn't go well, but he was playing the long game, and ultimately got what he needed to ensure victory.

Then he went and killed their leader. "One shall stand; one shall fall." And while neither were really standing by the end of it, Megatron wasn't the one who faded to black and Optimus wasn't the one still around to defy an evil god (albeit briefly).

Even then, it was basically that divine intervention that ruined everything for the Decepticons. Whether Megatron was alive or not, the Decepticons had won thanks to him.

People tend to ignore all the little things, like how much energon the Decepticons still managed to steal time after time. Not as much as they'd have liked, clearly, but still enough to conquer their world.

Say what you want about Megatron's silliness in the G1 cartoon, but he was still very effective. (Not touching the Marvel comics.)

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Lord Exor » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:09 pm

G1 Megatron had already taken Cybertron thousands of years before the start of the film, leaving Shockwave as the steward of a dead planet. Eggman, similarly, holds expansive territories on "Sonic's world."

Nevertheless, like Megatron, his on-panel appearances do little to punctuate his off-panel accomplishments. We're expected to believe these bunglers are threatening by virtue of exposition.

Although I can safely say I find Megatron more successful if only because I legitimately find him humorous. Eggman attempts humor through concept and character, although his actions seldom accomplish this aim like Megatron does. Eggman being a man-child strikes me as too desperate, while Megatron's corny '80s cartoon antics are funny precisely because he adopts the veneer of a goal-oriented, serious villain--there's a level of irony there requisite for good humor.
Lord Exor
BumbleNoble

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu May 07, 2015 10:57 am

HA, I got to this topic just before it's expiration date :D

Anyway, before I describe my opinion on Metal, there is something I MUST share with you guys :!:. Seriously, it's kinda crazy.

Let me describe Metal Sonic's history: He was created with only purpose to beat Sonic and be faster then him. And when he came out everyone was like "He's so cool, I love him. " But then more and more games came out and his popularity was fading, even if he got something major. Now some people love him, some say he's a joke, but majority agrees that he's no longer a threat to Sonic.

Do you see where I am going with this? No?
Spoiler: show
Metal to Sonic = Sonic to Mario
Read the text again, but replace names respectively. Scary huh?

I guess Eggman made Metal better then we thought. 8)

Ok, my actual opinion: I loooove Metal Sonic, my favorite character. I know that in theory he's just a standard killer robot (with pathetic kill record), but I see a little more depth to him. Plus he has awesome design; not a giant bulk guy like Mecha, but slim, swift and deadly. My favorite version of him are OVA movie and few fanfics I read.

In comics Flynn keeps him just as a killer bot, but that's sufficient for me, not everyone must love Metal. And while I wasn't 100% satisfied with him before reboot, I don't think that he ever became a joke.
1 Like other said, every villains looses. Metal is no exception.
2 Since Flynn took over Metal NEVER lost to Sonic. He was either taken by numbers (from start to SU 1, StH 256), self destruction or at very least tricked by Sonic (SU 75), not defeated. Only embarrassing defeat was from Shard and Metal had sweet revenge later :P
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius