Characters who may not show up again

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Characters who may not show up again

Postby Meliden » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:08 am

They already have two alternate universes running around as we speak game-wise, don't think they'd be interested in a third any time soon.

Plus the fact that they probably wouldn't want to use the Archie versions of some of the characters and concepts and whatnot.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Damo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:14 am

Meliden wrote:(as confirmed by Karl Bollers saying that he owned the characters he created).

Did I miss something? The only response I've seen from him was him expressing surprise that the characters had vanished from the book.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Meliden » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:46 am

It was said on Twitter, not long after expressing the shock. I can dig it out when I have access to my laptop.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Xeric » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:55 am

Damo wrote:
Meliden wrote:(as confirmed by Karl Bollers saying that he owned the characters he created).

Did I miss something? The only response I've seen from him was him expressing surprise that the characters had vanished from the book.

Xeric
BumbleKnight

Postby diamonddeath » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:41 pm

I can see Thrash being rewritten. He was one of the last Tasmanian Devils, just like how Knuckles is one of the last echidnas. The echidnas weren't really in danger of extinction before the reboot, but as long as the Nocturnus remain trapped in the Twilight Cage, Knuckles is now the last known echidna on Mobius. I'm sure Ian can come up with some rivalry between the two last known members of their race.

As for Beauregard, really it was just his name that was dropped and relationship to Bunnie. He can probably be reworked. Worst case scenario, his name and relationship changes while remaining the same and a relative. I suppose the same or similar could be said of Matilda. She could always be an adopted family member to Mighty like how Ray is and similar to how Chuck is uncle to many.
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:28 pm

No, I'd say they're both off the cards completely. And it's nothing to do with being family, or the relation wouldn't have been reference just before the reboot.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Penguin God » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:36 pm

Thrash is possible with a MAJOR reworking, but Beauregard is outright. His relationship isn't the issue, it's that he's possibly owned by someone else. The family part is really the most interesting bit about Beauregard anyway, even if that were a workable workaround it wouldn't really benefit.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby akessel92 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:43 pm

I think the only member of lupe's pack that may show up in the wolf pack in the old universe is Reynard. He was on satam.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby The Walking Hedgehog » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:31 pm

So I've been hearing some people on DA and Tumblr saying that Ian confirmed on Twitter that Shard will appear post-SGW. Is this true? I haven't been able to check for myself yet.
The Walking Hedgehog
BumbleFan

Postby SimonSays » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:01 pm

I remember him saying he had ideas for Scourge and Shard if they appeared post-reboot, but it was never a confirmation.

Basically, anyone saying Ian flat out confirmed anything is probably not being accurate. He's said repeatedly that he can't confirm who's been erased and who's staying.
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby DabigRG » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:33 pm

SimonSays wrote:I remember him saying he had ideas for Scourge and Shard if they appeared post-reboot, but it was never a confirmation.

Basically, anyone saying Ian flat out confirmed anything is probably not being accurate. He's said repeatedly that he can't confirm who's been erased and who's staying.

Not to mention that even if he wholeheartedly had plans to use previous characters in either book that he intends to use, its easy to forget he's still a hired hand for the comic who just happens to play a major role in it. The ultimate choice of what can and will work goes to his editor and, by inevitable extension, SEGA of Japan.
DabigRG
BumbleNoble

Postby The Walking Hedgehog » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:17 pm

SimonSays wrote:I remember him saying he had ideas for Scourge and Shard if they appeared post-reboot, but it was never a confirmation.

But I thought Scourge is off limits due to him being owned by Penders. I guess Shard could make a remake if Ian pulled some strings. I mean if Captain Metal could get in, who was technically a former Metal Sonic model, than Shar dcould return too right?
The Walking Hedgehog
BumbleFan

Postby SimonSays » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:08 pm

If it's the comment I was thinking of, I believe it was made right at the beginning of the reboot. Things were still really up in the air then, so I wouldn't take it to mean anything for certain.

After wading through over a year's worth of twitter comments: here you go. I can't be bothered to find the Scourge one, but it was basically something vague like that, "I know what I'd do with him if I were to use him" kind of thing, iirc. Maybe that was one of those 4chan posts or something. But at any rate, by now I think it's pretty clear Scourge isn't coming back.

Note that the date was September 2013. Things may have been more uncertain back then, plans fall through. Or maybe not and we're just not there yet. (Hopefully!) We'll have to wait and see.
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:36 pm

I've not confirmed one way or the other if we can use any of the extended cast from before the reboot. This is because I've been asked not to. I also prefer to focus on building the new universe and moving forward.

With regards to Scourge, the issue there is that Mr. Penders has made it clear he would pursue legal action if we used Scourge because of Scourge's connection to Evil Sonic. I don't recall if Mr. Penders said it himself, or if it was Mr. Repas. I believe he/they cite Gaiman vs. McFarlane as the grounds to claim Evil Sonic, and by extension, Scourge.

Mr. Penders also wrote the story that introduced a Mecha Sonic with a power gem core, which was later turned into Shard.

Again, I am not confirming or denying anything. I'm not speaking for anyone else in the matter, nor am I in a position to openly debate or discuss the topic.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby TurboTailz » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:12 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:I've not confirmed one way or the other if we can use any of the extended cast from before the reboot. This is because I've been asked not to. I also prefer to focus on building the new universe and moving forward.

With regards to Scourge, the issue there is that Mr. Penders has made it clear he would pursue legal action if we used Scourge because of Scourge's connection to Evil Sonic. I don't recall if Mr. Penders said it himself, or if it was Mr. Repas. I believe he/they cite Gaiman vs. McFarlane as the grounds to claim Evil Sonic, and by extension, Scourge.

Mr. Penders also wrote the story that introduced a Mecha Sonic with a power gem core, which was later turned into Shard.

Again, I am not confirming or denying anything. I'm not speaking for anyone else in the matter, nor am I in a position to openly debate or discuss the topic.

I figured as much oh well, but it would be nice for a replica of Scourge and it doesn't have to be a hedgehog. Hedgehogs tends to steal the spotlight in Sonic series :wink: . It's probably 50/50 battle with Fiona as well, but if she's accessible that's cool too. However I'm with you on moving forward working on the new universe. It's been good so far on my end.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius