Characters who may not show up again

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Characters who may not show up again

Postby Azul » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:07 pm

Looking at the list of writers and their respective work, I'm having a hard time understanding why practically all of the comic exclusive characters and concepts have to go. Mogul was a personal favorite of mine, even if it did irk me that he had a role in training Silver at first. I though he felt out of place there but I got over it. Did KP essentially contribute to the single greatest act of fictional character genocide?

In other news, I've wanted a straight forward Sonic comic taking cues from the games for nearly a decade, but combing using scrapped ideas and taking cues from other media and essentially making it an amaglam of almost all Sonic media? That's the icing on the cake. I wonder if Tiara Boobowski will take life as a character or even as a cameo?
Last edited by Azul on Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Kellox » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:09 pm

oh I would love to see Tiara become a archie exclusive character!
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby Meliden » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:57 pm

Azul wrote:Looking at the list of writers and their respective work, I'm having a hard time understanding why practically all of the comic exclusive characters and concepts have to go.

Basically, when the lawsuit flared up, it created a lot of aggro for Archie as a business. Not only did they have to sort out reprinting rights for the Archives and the other universal back issue trades (although after what's we've seen over the last month, I think Sonic Archives is the only one still going), but they had to make their creative staff rush at the very last minute to touch up two then current arcs (Chaotix Quest got luck as it just covered over two characters, tweaked some dialogue and changed a cover. It sounds a lot, but it suffered far less than Endangered Species), and then had to dance around the issues further on as more Penders concepts were very active at the time (Elias and Geoffrey).

The lawsuit had another effect though; with the case being settled the way it did (I think it was a dismissal with settlement?), it meant that the rights of the characters did default to Penders, and led a precedent for any other writer/artist on the same sort of contract in the past to be able to claim ownership on their stuff (as confirmed by Karl Bollers saying that he owned the characters he created). Archie presumably didn't want to excise the Penders material only to have to face the issue again and again as more creators stepped up, so they cut their loses, cut the hassle and cut the characters of every prior creator not on Archie any more as they were all probably on the same contract. The number still at Archie from before Ian's run are very small in number (Jon Gray, Tania Del Rio and Angelo DeCesare).

Speaking of Jon Gray and a different post about Tiara, I did wonder earlier if the waitress at the diner in #138 was supposed to be a Tiara cameo but got messed up for whatever reason. Doubt she'd be a waitress in the new continuity.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:13 pm

Meliden wrote:(although after what's we've seen over the last month, I think Sonic Archives is the only one still going),

Sonic Saga Series is still going strong with book 7 to be released soon. Sonic Legacy was probably cancelled for the moment to allow the Archives to get another head start again. The only one I'd say is gone for good would be Knuckles Archives.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:20 pm

Sonic Saga is for back issues from after Ian joined as head writer, so I don't really count it amongst the lot when it comes to trades which feature pre-Ian material quite heavily if not solely (So that's Sonic Archives, Knuckles Archives, Sonic Legacy, Sonic Select and Best of Sonic, unless I'm forgetting something), four of which have had something crop up recently.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:40 pm

Meliden wrote:Sonic Saga is for back issues from after Ian joined as head writer, so I don't really count it amongst the lot when it comes to trades which feature pre-Ian material quite heavily if not solely (So that's Sonic Archives, Knuckles Archives, Sonic Legacy, Sonic Select and Best of Sonic, unless I'm forgetting something), four of which have had something crop up recently.

Best of Sonic is still going and I think Volume 3 is still going to be released, Select just simply ran out of material to reprint as Volume 10 had already begun reprinting new universe material and is likely only on hiatus until there's new content, Legacy, as I said was likely due to wanting to allow the Archives time to get a head start again. Knuckles Archives is the only one I think has been truly cancelled.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:18 pm

Well, this thread certainly has gotten people talking-of course, a subject with this much fan invested interest is bound to, I suppose. With regards to the Battle Bird Armada, I simply included them as a MAY be gone because I figure the events of the new reality more closely follow the games. I don't want them to be gone, but I could see where they might be. The comics could certainly use them, and I'd be interested to see if the Riders connection would still be in place or if Sega decided to put the kibosh on that too.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Spin » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:30 pm

Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:With regards to the Battle Bird Armada, I simply included them as a MAY be gone because I figure the events of the new reality more closely follow the games.

We got Honey the freaking Cat. They are fine.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby RadRed89 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Considering Speedy was allowed to appear in Tail's flashbacks to the old continuity, I think it's safe to say there's little chance Sega has put him and the rest of the Battle Bird Armada on the don't touch list.
RadRed89
BumbleNoble

Postby Matt7325 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:31 am

Yes, there just hasn't been a worthwhile point to include them in the story yet.
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:53 pm

Spin wrote:
Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:With regards to the Battle Bird Armada, I simply included them as a MAY be gone because I figure the events of the new reality more closely follow the games.

We got Honey the freaking Cat. They are fine.

Character intended to be in the game, but not included is not the same as "antagonistic force implied tobe destroyed"

It'd be like if Ian brought Black Doom back to life. Though, hey, he brought the Black Arms back once before, so other thought-dead characters and groups could come back.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:33 am

Black Doom and the Kukku Army are in two different positions;

-The Kukku Army are basically ignored in terms of canon anyway because the game they starred in isn't in the game continuity. Ergo, it doesn't matter if they stay dead or not.
-Black Doom's death acted as closure for Shadow's amnesia arc and is very much canon in the game continuity. Him staying dead is pretty important.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:28 am

With so many characters gone that are bound to never return, I've get sad thinking about all the good characters we lost as well as the missed opportunities for some of the development needed for them. I've also been losing interest in the comic lately, and I very bound to drop the book after Worlds Unite and the Shattered World Crisis arcs. But then again, there's a small chance some of these characters will return in the future. And as for the Battle Bird Armada, they might show up again seeing how most SEGA characters are immune to death.
NiTROACTiVE
BumbleClan

Postby TheFatPanda » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 am

So, remind me why Angelo Decesare's characters can't be used anymore, even though he still works for Archie?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby TurboTailz » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:19 am

I just assume Ian doesn't have a spot for them yet until he finished up whatever story he's on. I have faith some may reoccur while others won't.

Trust me I would love to see Fiona, Dr. Finitevus, Arctic Freedom Fighters and many others that have been listed come back to the story. However I would like their return done in a smooth way where their character blends right into the story whatever arc it's on.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius