Characters who may not show up again

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Characters who may not show up again

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:38 pm

Well, the first issue of "Champions" has a lot of folks excited about the introduction of new characters Breezie and Honey, and the return of our old buddies in the Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad (try saying that five times fast). However, it also seems to have put to rest any hopes of us seeing the return of our favorite prehistoric pachyderm from the original reality, ol' Mammoth Mogul, since the 6S appear to be in a role similar to that seen before Worlds Collide, but with a new boss in the form of Breezie. As such, it seems most likely that the current staff can't or won't utilize Mogul-which may be confirmation for the fate of other old reality characters. Based on what we've seen so far-now that we're over a year into both Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Universe "nu252"-it seems likely that characters originating from the following members of Archie's creative staff over the years are gone:

*Ken Penders-but we all knew that.
*Angelo Decesare-who gave us the Arctic Freedom Fighters, Cyril and Larry, the Nerbs, and a handful of other characters.
*Dan Slott-the mind behind the characters from the Godzilla, Sailor Moon, and Gatchaman parody Zones.
*Frank Strom-the guy who gave us most of the early Dragon Kingdom cast, including Monkey Khan, the Yagyu Clan, and the Iron Dominion.
*Karl Bollers-father of Dr. Finitevus (despite claims to the contrary), A.D.A.M. and Mecha, the Sand-Blasters, and a number of others.
*Michael Gallagher-who created Auto-Automaton Fiona, Athair, the Downunda Freedom Fighters, the Ancient Walkers, and others.
*Romy Chacon-creator of the infamous Tommy Turtle and the Original Freedom Fighters.
*Scott Fulop-Mogul's creator, as well as of the original Fearsome Foursome, Merlin Prower, Sir Connery, and the other "Search for the Sword of Acorns" characters.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the creations of the current Archie staff may not have escaped the reboot unscathed either. While the departure of some of Ian's characters is likely given the legal issues that resulted in the reboot-mainly versions of other writer's characters from other timelines or universes created by other writers-with such notables as Edmund, Jani-Ca's team of Freedom Fighters, and Rosy the Rascal-there are others who seem likely to be gone for various other reasons:

*The Ninja Clans of the Dragon Kingdom-the Yagyu were created by Frank Strom as previously noted, while the Gossamer and Raiju Clans are both largely derived from characters created by other writers: Fulop's Lightning Lynx and Penders' Uma Arachnis. As for the Shinobi, Sega's put the kibosh on known Sega characters having relatives, though I suppose that they could be painted as the group Espio trained with.
*Beauregard Rabbot and Matilda the Armadillo-Ian may have brought in the original character of the Baron, but his name was dropped by a previous writer. I also find it highly suspect that he's entirely absent from origin story presented for nu252 Bunnie, which seems like it would have been the place to establish that he's still around if he was. As for Matilda, it wouldn't surprise me if she got the axe under Sega's anti-video game character family edict.
*Any and all Echidnas, Fire Ants, House of Acorn members, Robotniks/Kintobors or other sundry characters derived from Ken's old reality concepts. Regrettably, this also includes various characters Ian introduced us to or hinted at on Dark and Light Mobius, such as the D'Coolette twins, E-107 Theta, and-as mentioned previously-Jani-Ca's Freedom Fighters.
*Potentially Alan Quail of the Mercia Freedom Fighters, just because he follows Ken's old Robin Hood parody deal. Though he doesn't seem to have been copyrighted by Ken given his appearance in Chaotix Quest, Friar Buck is most likely gone as well. We know Bow is back, and as Thorn and Munch aren't Robin Hood parodies (at least in terms of naming) I don't see them being gone.
*Potentially Thrash-not due to any legal issues, but just because it seems like Ian would have to completely rewrite him, and not have any of the factors from the old reality that made him such an interesting character.

There's also a Sega group that I suspect may no longer be present, mainly because the new continuity followed the events of the games more closely:

*The Battle Bird Armada-the end of Tails Adventure seemed to hint at their possible demise, or at least that of the leadership, who so far as we know would have been aboard the Battle Fortress when it crashed into the ocean.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Re: Characters who may not show up again

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:43 pm

Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:*The Battle Bird Armada-the end of Tails Adventure seemed to hint at their possible demise, or at least that of the leadership, who so far as we know would have been aboard the Battle Fortress when it crashed into the ocean.

The Battle Bird Armada is fine. They appeared in Babylon Rising Pre-reboot and there was zero elements from any of the other writers in The Tails Adventure so that arc should still be canon and have happened as it did normally.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby jazzflower92 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:55 pm

You forgot to mention Mina who I know for sure will never appear again much to the chagrin of her long time fans.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby Tylinos » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:11 pm

Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:*Angelo Decesare-who gave us the Arctic Freedom Fighters, Cyril and Larry, the Nerbs, and a handful of other characters.

In fairness, last I heard, he actually still does occasional work for Archie. While that definitely doesn't mean his stuff's safe by any means, it at least has a slightly better chance than the others.
Tylinos
BumbleKnight

Postby GentlemanX » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:47 am

I'd like to think Descesare's cast is still usable given Archie kept Nicole's Lynx persona which was the invention of Tania del Rio, indicating some elements from writers still associated with Archie are in the clear.

Though, the fact all it would have probably taken to keep Bollers' cast is giving him a call and asking still doesn't sit right with me. I mean, unless Archie's being forced to not try by Sega or something, it is literally not lifting a finger to help fans.

Anyway, the character I'm probably most confused about is Shard. He's a Sega creation that was retooled by Ian to resemble another Sega creation, with a naming gimmick based on another Sega creation. He's clearly popular with fans so I'm wondering what the hold up is with not at least name dropping him unless he's off limits too. Which again falls back on Sega since there isn't a single aspect of him that they doesn't go back to them.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:29 am

GentlemanX wrote:Though, the fact all it would have probably taken to keep Bollers' cast is giving him a call and asking still doesn't sit right with me. I mean, unless Archie's being forced to not try by Sega or something, it is literally not lifting a finger to help fans.

This right here is probably the worst thing about all this. Actually, scratch that. The worst part is that we will never have an explanation as to why they never even attempted to contact Bollers about it. All we'll ever get is a "move on" type statement from anyone, or flat out ignoring the question.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:41 am

Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:.
*Karl Bollers-father of Dr. Finitevus (despite claims to the contrary), A.D.A.M. and Mecha, the Sand-Blasters, and a number of others.

*The Ninja Clans of the Dragon Kingdom-the Yagyu were created by Frank Strom as previously noted, while the Gossamer and Raiju Clans are both largely derived from characters created by other writers: Fulop's Lightning Lynx and Penders' Uma Arachnis. As for the Shinobi, Sega's put the kibosh on known Sega characters having relatives, though I suppose that they could be painted as the group Espio trained with.

Actually isn't Arachnis Bollers creation too? I'm still not entirelly convinced that Frank Strom's characters are gone. I mean MK was on the Sonic Legacy Vol. 4 when no other Pre-Reboot characters have been on covers since this all went down.

There's also a Sega group that I suspect may no longer be present, mainly because the new continuity followed the events of the games more closely:

*The Battle Bird Armada-the end of Tails Adventure seemed to hint at their possible demise, or at least that of the leadership, who so far as we know would have been aboard the Battle Fortress when it crashed into the ocean.

Honestly while maybe a little more accurate to the game I don't think it's impossible Tails Adventure happened the same basic way as the old universe. I mean the plot's pretty stand alone and Tails Adventure could literally happen at any point in canon.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Spin » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:56 am

Would be interesting to see Archie go back to Ian issues and edit them to make reprints take place within the new canon. Remove or replace off limit characters with edits of new characters, rework the script even to the point of making new stories out of the old, and do minor edits on the SatAM cast to give them their current SegaSonic design. With the exception of Rotor, who'd be easier to just alter as a new character. Maybe even adding new original stories between edited stories to better tie-in the new universe.

If Archie has zero plans to negotiate with writers not named Penders in the future after the heat dies down. Better to salvage some of the stuff done with the old stuff, instead of trying to resell it as expired goods.

Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:*Potentially Alan Quail of the Mercia Freedom Fighters, just because he follows Ken's old Robin Hood parody deal. Though he doesn't seem to have been copyrighted by Ken given his appearance in Chaotix Quest, Friar Buck is most likely gone as well. We know Bow is back, and as Thorn and Munch aren't Robin Hood parodies (at least in terms of naming) I don't see them being gone.

Munch is the Robin Hood expy of Much.
Last edited by Spin on Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Xeric » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:01 pm

I'm guessing we'll be seeing Decarese's cast again. They've been reprinting his work, so i'm assuming we'll be seeing the Artic Freedom Fighters again at some point.
Xeric
BumbleKnight

Postby Sparky » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:24 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:.

Actually isn't Arachnis Bollers creation too? I'm still not entirelly convinced that Frank Strom's characters are gone. I mean MK was on the Sonic Legacy Vol. 4 when no other Pre-Reboot characters have been on covers since this all went down.

Honestly while maybe a little more accurate to the game I don't think it's impossible Tails Adventure happened the same basic way as the old universe. I mean the plot's pretty stand alone and Tails Adventure could literally happen at any point in canon.

The actual game of Tails' Adventure takes place before Tails met Sonic.
Sparky
BumbleNoble

Postby Spin » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Sparky wrote:The actual game of Tails' Adventure takes place before Tails met Sonic.

Before in Japanese version. After in English versions. So it doesn't matter.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:41 pm

Japan tends to trump english in most things related to video game continuity. I think its pretty interesting that Tails was his own person before Sonic, but that would kinda throw his arc off in Sonic Adventure.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Spin » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:53 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:Japan tends to trump english in most things related to video game continuity. I think its pretty interesting that Tails was his own person before Sonic, but that would kinda throw his arc off in Sonic Adventure.

But this is still a comic for Americans. And Tails Adventure is an unimportant handheld. So no one at Sega is going to raise a fuss demanding that the Tails Adventure arc be placed in a situation in which the games events took place before Tails met Sonic as per their Japanese mythos. And if Ian is trying to mesh the canon with SatAM even if he's not allowed to outright say it. Makes the events almost impossible.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Meliden » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:59 pm

If any of the Mercian FFs were to be excised from the Avalonian Merry Men, it's be Friar Buck as he was a Penders-created character who somehow slipped through the cracks in Chaotix Quest. Wouldn't be able to deduce why though, maybe Archie didn't recall it when they did the initial cuts.

And I don't think Ian is trying to mesh it with SatAM, not that strictly anyway. Wasn't Tails already adventuring before Sonic inspired the FFs in this continuity? How would that even begin to mesh with SatAM events?
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:42 pm

Meliden wrote:
And I don't think Ian is trying to mesh it with SatAM, not that strictly anyway. Wasn't Tails already adventuring before Sonic inspired the FFs in this continuity? How would that even begin to mesh with SatAM events?

There was a reference to Tails being from Mobotropolis and he was suppose to be in Sally's SCO before being replaced with a green...thing. I think the idea is the Freedom Fighters were inspired by Sonic fighting Eggman during the events of the original game and Sega Sonic Arcade (And Maybe the GG Sonic 1) and when he arrived in Westside Island he met them and Tails at the same time.

I think that's the basic idea.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius