Characters who may not show up again

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Characters who may not show up again

Postby TurboTailz » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:28 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:
TurboTailz wrote:
yensid1971 wrote:What I've been wondering is what is the legal policy itself that doesn't allow for the people involved to speak about the characters. I can understand that it might have been part of the settlement, but what kind of reason is there for people not being allowed to speak about the characters they may or may not own anymore? :|

It's actually best not to ask if you're under certain stipulations because you don't want to reveal the wrong information. Ian already gave us many hints he can possibly squeeze out during that chaotic time and I appreciated that, but would not like if it jeopardize his job. All we can do is wait and see who is saved and who isn't.

Problem is, with the current climate, we may be "waiting" for 20 years

The best closure will probably be The Lost Hedgehog Tales that Ian is kindly doing for his fans. He's really cool for doing that for us while he's busy with his other projects. If someone takes interest by illustrating The Lost Hedgehog tales then that would be great as well if that's allowed. Trust me I know it sucks what has happen, but you got to come to realization that sometimes things don't always goes as planned. The greatest thing we should acknowledged is that

1. This comic is still running for so long and it was suppose to end at issue 50.
2. Sega hasn't pull the plug yet especially after that chaotic phase.
3. Sonic comics are getting more recognition than it did in KP era.
and last but not least
4. We've got an awesome writer and a great crew that he works with plus the most gentle moderator ever.

Plus the fact we get insights that he's allow to hint us with such as future issues.

It can't get any better than that.

P.S
does my sig scare you guys or does it seem crazy to y'all?
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby ClareSilver47 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:19 am

TurboTailz wrote:does my sig scare you guys or does it seem crazy to y'all?

Not really. It could do with some better effects, at least a white border around the text

I read Hunter x Hunter and honestly, the image is stretched in such a way that with the red text it's actually somewhat painful to look at

If you want some creepy, you can go with a white, cold looking, text on a black/dark background with something inhumanly unsettling emerging from the shadows
ClareSilver47
BumbleNoble

Postby TurboTailz » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:35 am

ClareSilver47 wrote:
TurboTailz wrote:does my sig scare you guys or does it seem crazy to y'all?

Not really. It could do with some better effects, at least a white border around the text

I read Hunter x Hunter and honestly, the image is stretched in such a way that with the red text it's actually somewhat painful to look at

If you want some creepy, you can go with a white, cold looking, text on a black/dark background with something inhumanly unsettling emerging from the shadows

Thanks for the tips, reason I ask is that my friend said it was a crazy scary minus the red text image. I told her it's a stressed out person and the text is a reference from a game.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby The Walking Hedgehog » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:06 pm

Not sure if this counts as necroing or not, since it's only been five months, and this is pretty important, but I was looking at Shard's Mobius Encyclopedia page, and on the trivia section, it states that he was confirmed by Ian to not return due to the power gem being created by Penders. Is this referencing the post Ian made earlier in this topic, something else entirely, or false information?
The Walking Hedgehog
BumbleFan

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:50 pm

Ian more or less confirmed that on Twitter.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby Vampfox » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:15 pm

Can someone explain to me why Ian can't just change Shard's power gem to something else such as the fake Chaos Emerald from "Sonic Adventure 2"?
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby lalalei2001 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:18 pm

because the fake Chaos Emerald blew up? :P
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Vampfox » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:43 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:because the fake Chaos Emerald blew up? :P

Doesn't really matter since my point was really just to show that there are plenty of ways to write around Penders power gem.
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby 009* » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:46 am

Vampfox wrote:

Doesn't really matter since my point was really just to show that there are plenty of ways to write around Penders power gem.

If it was just as simple as writing around the old details, we probably wouldn't need so many new characters in the first place.
009*
BumbleKnight

Postby The Walking Hedgehog » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:05 am

009* wrote:
Vampfox wrote:

If it was just as simple as writing around the old details, we probably wouldn't need so many new characters in the first place.

Well they're certainly making it seem like that. Penders only came up with the idea for the Power Gem, so take that out and boom, (non-intentional pun aside) you've got SHard back.
The Walking Hedgehog
BumbleFan

Postby GentlemanX » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:22 am

Archie is handling the old material as "if this has any connection to something a former writer wrote, the entire concept is therefore unusable." E-107 Theta was a completely original creation from Ian entirely based on Sega material, and was first name dropped in a story Ian wrote. Despite this, said name drop was in a story based on a concept introduced by Penders (Mobius XYL) and therefore E-107 Theta is unusable. This same logic is being applied to Shard. He's a Sega character because he's literally the Metal Sonic from Sonic CD, and had only been used in adaptations of other material (specifically Knuckles Chaotix and the OVA), but because Penders had him utilize something he created (Power Gem) Shard is unusable.

I'm sure they're thinking is that they're just being as cautious as possible, but honestly it sets an unacceptable precedent that the slightest change justifies Penders to own something he doesn't. Based on this arrangement, they're literally saying Penders owns Metal Sonic and they don't feel comfortable using him. This same logic can apply to say Turbo Tails (Tails with a cape) and Chaos Knuckles (Knuckles except green), in which they'd be essentially handing over Tails and Knuckles to Penders (he's already doing that with Sonic and Eggman with Evil Sonic and Robo-robotnik).

The short version is this: there's no good reason for Archie to not use Shard and in fact it has potential negative consequences that they aren't, but they're not going to because doing so would require them actually discussing the issue and trying to find a solution that isn't "plug ears and pretend it doesn't exist", which is the attitude they've chosen to take.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:29 am

But they're using Metal Sonic. They are clearly only giving this careful treatment to characters that came afterward, and they're not actually setting any legal precedent by not writing these characters. I don't know how you're getting this leap where they're giving Penders Tails and Knuckles by not using Turbo Tails and Hyper Knuckles: even in that case he would only own the changes of the characters, not the actual characters. So he'd own a red cape, but only if it was on Tails, who he doesn't own. Nobody gets Turbo Tails.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:57 am

Personally I think that Flynn could easily push Shard if we wanted, he just doesn't know what to do with him.

And while I liked Shard, I'm okay with idea that this world will have only Sega/Satam characters. In fact I would prefer if Hood and other were gone too. They just feel awkward as leftover from Preboot.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Meliden » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:51 am

This all assumes that the copyright claims are very specific. If the game that kickstarted it all is brought into the equation, we know it's a lot more broad than that.

Say you change the power gems and instead use a, say, Master Emerald shard (would be unlikely anyway because Knuckles would forever be without a working ME, but this is just for example). He isn't run by a power gem, but he is run by an additional power source that's still very much linked to that concept. So they might try to claim it.

Say you decide to omit the power source entirely. Now he's just a Metal Sonic who happened to turn good. Problem is that the concept is also linked back to the original concept, so again they might try to claim it.

Spoiler: show
This is why invoking that spirit in Gemerl is pretty much the best way you can get what's salvageable of Shard; your entire legal defence is the cost of a GBA and a copy of Sonic Advance 3.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius