When other stuff makes you think of Sonic...

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

When other stuff makes you think of Sonic...

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:18 am

So the other day I was channel-surfing and I happened to stop on Boomerang, where an episode of The Pink Panther & Pals or some such is on. Well, I'm watching one of the Ant and the Aardvark cartoons, and the Aardvark-who's a blue anthropomorphic character-laments that perhaps he should give up on trying to eat the ant and order a chili dog instead. Almost immediately afterwards, he is approached by a Sloth who, throughout most of the cartoon, is colored green.

Having found this quite an amusing combination of elements, I thought I'd post it and invite others to share experiences they've had where other media have reminded them of Sonic.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Re: When other stuff makes you think of Sonic...

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Had another one: saw a commercial for a stop-smoking aid named "Zonnic." I guess our favorite Zone Cop has found himself a new job since the reboot...
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:13 am

I was watching Power Rangers RPM last night and I realized just how much like Sonic SatAM it is. (Heck it's not even just like SatAM since Venjix has two bumbling henchbots like Scratch & Grounder)

Both are arguably darker than most of their other instalments. Both are about a Machines taking over the world. The Rangers are part of the last line of defence against the force that took over the world. The Main 5 Rangers even kind of line up with the FF.

Scott is slightly less cocky than Sonic but he still has a tendiancy to go off on his own.

Flynn is a Tech Guy with sadly little development like Rotor.

Summer is a rich Girl who's great at literally everything like Sally.

Ziggy is the Comic relief guy who has far more depth than you'd expect more like Archie Antoine than SatAM Ant but still.

And Dillion is a Cyborg with super strength like Bunnie.

There's elements that don't match up with SatAM like a military that's helping the Resistance, An emotionally detatched mentor with a very VERY upsetting backstory and welll the fact that The "Freedom Fighters" Morph into Power Rangers and fight Robots with Martial Arts and then jump into Googly Anime Eyed Robots that turn into a bigger Robot to hit the Evil Robots with Swords.

Still the Simularities are hard to deny.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:53 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:Flynn is a Tech Guy with sadly little development like Rotor.

And he's SCOTTISH!

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mikail » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:05 am

Wonder Woman now makes me think of Shadow. Why? Because in the new 52 comics, it's revealed that the braces on Wonder Woman's wrists are power limiters.

Spoiler: show
Mikail
BumbleNoble

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:13 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:Flynn is a Tech Guy with sadly little development like Rotor.

And he's SCOTTISH!

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I approve of this-I wonder if Bunnie would yell "AH'M SOUTHERN!"

So don't know if anybody's been watching Disney XD's Penn Zero: Part Time Hero besides me, but I did see something pretty neat a while back. The main character's aunt and uncle are a bit...eccentric...and one of the episodes features them dressing up a rather angry looking chinchilla in a business suit. The look of sheer hatred on the little guy's face makes me think he'd make an ideal boyfriend for Thunderbolt.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby therealfalconpawnch7 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:41 pm

Most of the time whenever I watch One Piece, if I'm not in the middle of a gripping scenario (Which limits that to whenever no one is fighting, giving exposition, or doing something awesome/funny. So basically during commercials) I always see some base similarities with Sonic characters, and not just the Shonen tropes either.
Luffy/Sonic- What Sonic should be in my opinion (But that's irrelevant) A bit full of himself, always on the sunny side, charismatic, natural leader, strong and determined to grow stronger, dream chaser, free spirit, and of course not that bright, but shockingly brilliant when need be.
Nami/Amy(Stretching)- Both are bubbly, both grow stronger after a design change, both at one point have short hair, and of course, both like sweet things.
Zoro/Knuckles/Shadow- All 3 are stoic most of the time, and that leads to a majority of their humor, All 3 tend to do things on their own, Knuckles is as hot-headed as Zoro, and of course they all have a darker sense of humor (Or at least a different sense of humor).
Ussop/Tails- Both long to be strong and brave, both are intelligent, both are very good with a slingshot, and both of them think Robots are cool
Franky/Vector- Both are SUPAH!, both have Popeye limbs, both wear gold chains, both have lived in bad conditions, both breath fire, both have disproportionate bodies.
That's about all I can think of for now. Though there are lots of Bad Guys in One Piece, only one of them strikes me as reminiscent of a Sonic character, and that's Foxy, and most people don't like Foxy.
therealfalconpawnch7
BumbleKnight

Postby Spinehog » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:51 pm

The show: Kill la Kill, and the game: Lethal League both made me think of Sonic.

They both share a very stylized anime look that pre-06 Sonic games used from time to time. In addition two which, the colorful characters in both are very speed oriented.

My dream Sonic show would be created in the style of Kill la Kill (without the disappointing NSFW content of course), and my dream Sonic fighting game would be built in the style of Lethal League (with a much larger cast).
Spinehog
BumbleNoble

Postby Jazzy76 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:18 pm

I was just playing 'Disney epic Mickey: Power of Illusion' on 3DS earlier today when I noticed Mickeys cutscene reactions look a lot of Sonic.

Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Jazzy76
BumbleKnight

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:38 pm

I'm the weirdo over here re-imagining Metal Gear Solid 4 cutscenes with Sonic characters. Sonic as Snake, Shadow as Liquid, Silver as Raiden, Tails as Otacon, Amy as Meryl, Rouge as Naomi, Cream as Sunny, Eggman as Big Boss...
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:00 am

I don't know why, but Steven Universe makes me think of the current sonic comics
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby Spinehog » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:06 pm

AllHailShadow wrote:I'm the weirdo over here re-imagining Metal Gear Solid 4 cutscenes with Sonic characters. Sonic as Snake, Shadow as Liquid, Silver as Raiden, Tails as Otacon, Amy as Meryl, Rouge as Naomi, Cream as Sunny, Eggman as Big Boss...

idk, you may not be too weird. :)
I suspect my interest in the Metal Gear series grew out of Sonic Adventure 2 being my first Sonic game as a kid. They both share a very dramatic over the top stylized military world ...and they both have Chicken Walker Mechs now that I think about it.
Spinehog
BumbleNoble

Postby The Walking Hedgehog » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:11 pm

Spinehog wrote:
AllHailShadow wrote:I'm the weirdo over here re-imagining Metal Gear Solid 4 cutscenes with Sonic characters. Sonic as Snake, Shadow as Liquid, Silver as Raiden, Tails as Otacon, Amy as Meryl, Rouge as Naomi, Cream as Sunny, Eggman as Big Boss...

idk, you may not be too weird. :)
I suspect my interest in the Metal Gear series grew out of Sonic Adventure 2 being my first Sonic game as a kid. They both share a very dramatic over the top stylized military world ...and they both have Chicken Walker Mechs now that I think about it.

And both have Quentin Flynn as a naive white haired boy that everyone hated when they were first introduced.
The Walking Hedgehog
BumbleFan

Postby therealfalconpawnch7 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:39 pm

therealfalconpawnch7 wrote:Most of the time whenever I watch One Piece, if I'm not in the middle of a gripping scenario (Which limits that to whenever no one is fighting, giving exposition, or doing something awesome/funny. So basically during commercials) I always see some base similarities with Sonic characters, and not just the Shonen tropes either.
Luffy/Sonic- What Sonic should be in my opinion (But that's irrelevant) A bit full of himself, always on the sunny side, charismatic, natural leader, strong and determined to grow stronger, dream chaser, free spirit, and of course not that bright, but shockingly brilliant when need be.
Nami/Amy(Stretching)- Both are bubbly, both grow stronger after a design change, both at one point have short hair, and of course, both like sweet things.
Zoro/Knuckles/Shadow- All 3 are stoic most of the time, and that leads to a majority of their humor, All 3 tend to do things on their own, Knuckles is as hot-headed as Zoro, and of course they all have a darker sense of humor (Or at least a different sense of humor).
Ussop/Tails- Both long to be strong and brave, both are intelligent, both are very good with a slingshot, and both of them think Robots are cool
Franky/Vector- Both are SUPAH!, both have Popeye limbs, both wear gold chains, both have lived in bad conditions, both breath fire, both have disproportionate bodies.
That's about all I can think of for now. Though there are lots of Bad Guys in One Piece, only one of them strikes me as reminiscent of a Sonic character, and that's Foxy, and most people don't like Foxy.

While doodling the Freedom Fighters today I just realized how much Antoine is like Ussopp. I cannot believe how I didn't see it before, both are boastful and semi-cowardly, but both end up doing great things through perseverance and a desire to become something more than what they already are, Ussopp a great warrior of the sea, and Antoine a brave soldier, that his father could be proud of.
therealfalconpawnch7
BumbleKnight

Postby Unknown Tongue » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:02 pm

NxtWaltDisney wrote:I don't know why, but Steven Universe makes me think of the current sonic comics

Dude, I somewhat agree. The show in general doesn't remind me of Sonic but I did get Sonic vibes in Jailbreak during the fight between Jasper and Garnet. That and Dragon Ball Z.

Another thing that reminds me of Sonic is the Sonic drive in. The slogan man. One day I'm going to take my little nephew there and tell him that the restaurant is based off of Sonic. He'd love it. Burgers and Sonic and sometimes hotdogs.
Unknown Tongue
BumbleNewbie

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius