Sonic Dash comes to Windows 10 (UPDATE: Tweet the Dev Team!)

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Sonic Dash comes to Windows 10 (UPDATE: Tweet the Dev Team!)

Postby EthanEmerald » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:29 am

Sonic Dash is one of the most-popular, highest-downloaded games in Windows 10. You can get it on your Windows 10 phone, tablet, or desktop PC from the new Windows 10 store:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/sonic-dash/9wzdncrdv1s0

UPDATE:

Hi all,

I'm asking for a minute of your time. Sonic Dash for Windows 10 currently lacks cloud sync, which is enabled in the iOS and Android versions of the game. This means

• your progress completing missions
  • characters unlocked
  • upgrades spent on characters
  • rings and red star rings collected
  • other game data and achievements
are not synced across your Windows 10 devices. So if your computer fails and you need to reset it, or you simply get a new computer, or get a new phone, or want to switch between playing on your computer and on your tablet, or [insert 1000 other scenarios here], you're out of luck. As soon as you try to play on a new device (and let's be honest, nowadays people get new phones & other devices every 1-2 years), you have to start all over again every time.

This isn't a limitation of Windows 10. Virtually every other app makes use of cloud sync; Candy Crush Saga and Candy Crush Soda use Facebook to sync your game progress, and Microsoft Office, Groove Music, etc. store your data to OneDrive through your Microsoft Account so it's always backed up. This is nice because no matter which device you choose to use, you'll always have the same *experience* across devices. So the technology is there in Windows 10, but the Sonic Dash developers haven't used it.

I've been sending in bug reports through help.sega.net since January 2015, and I only get empty replies from customer support, like

I'm afraid there's not much we can offer in terms of resolution right at this very moment, but they will be reviewing all reports of problems received to help them better plan future updates.

So I'm asking you to lend a hand, by tweeting the developers of Sonic Dash and asking them to enable cloud sync in Sonic Dash for Windows 10. Let them know it's frustrating to have to start all over again every time you upgrade your PC or get a new Windows 10 device (when it could be synced to your OneDrive / Microsoft Account, or to Facebook like Candy Crush and other apps in Windows 10).

The development team is Hardlight Studio, and they can be reached on Twitter at

https://twitter.com/HLGames/

Thank you. Hopefully, with your help, we can get their attention!
Last edited by EthanEmerald on Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Re: Sonic Dash comes to Windows

Postby Mikail » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:35 pm

Awesome, so I can finally play it?

*says I need at least windows 8*

Ah. Well, crap.
Mikail
BumbleNoble

Postby The Bored » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:58 pm

Edit: never mind, if you scroll over it says that it doesn't have mouse or keyboard support.

:(
The Bored
BumbleNoble

Postby Yarcaz » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:55 pm

Must get it!
I must!
Yarcaz
BumbleFan

Postby EthanEmerald » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:05 pm

The Bored wrote:Edit: never mind, if you scroll over it says that it doesn't have mouse or keyboard support.

I'm running it on my Surface Pro in 1080p and it runs fabulous.

However, I have heard from other users without touch displays that they are able to use mouse/keyboard, regardless of what the notice says.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby squeakyboots13 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:46 pm

Mikail wrote:Awesome, so I can finally play it?

*says I need at least windows 8*

Ah. Well, crap.

My toaster of a laptop probably wouldn't be able to run this thing at full framerate anyway. I have Sonic 4 Episode 1 on Steam and it would always stutter and lag.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby 009* » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:33 pm

Okay I have the game, and even bought a windows store gift card so I'm not risking my credit card info, but I can't buy anything. What gives?
009*
BumbleKnight

Postby The Bored » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:31 pm

EthanEmerald wrote:
The Bored wrote:Edit: never mind, if you scroll over it says that it doesn't have mouse or keyboard support.

I'm running it on my Surface Pro in 1080p and it runs fabulous.

However, I have heard from other users without touch displays that they are able to use mouse/keyboard, regardless of what the notice says.

Really, where?
The Bored
BumbleNoble

Postby Spinehog » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:08 pm

I just tried it on my none-touch screen pc.
It works fine.

You can use your mouse, or arrow keys and space bar.
Spinehog
BumbleNoble

Postby The Bored » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:53 pm

Arrow keys and space bar is definitely the easier way to play. Using a mouse tends to not be quite as accurate. It's a fun time waster, but I wouldn't have wanted to get it if it wasn't free.
The Bored
BumbleNoble

Postby EthanEmerald » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:30 pm

Hey all - Sonic Dash for Windows has been updated (brought to version 2.1). The crashing and Facebook syncing has been fixed. Go get it for free from the Windows Store! :)
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby squeakyboots13 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:52 pm

Well since somebody bumped this thread, I may as well pop in and mention that I got a new Windows 8 laptop the other day and managed to pick up this game.

The biggest problem I have with the game right now is that it seems like you can only get red rings within certain intervals of time. Like I played one run through and got two red rings at the end of it. I immediately played again and even though I went further than last time, the game didn't give me any red rings after the second run. From what I can tell, I have to wait a few hours in order to be able to earn red rings again. (Unless I pay money for them but I'm not doing that.) This just really bugs me. I get how they might want people to continue playing the game over days and weeks to unlock everything but there is no reward at all for anyone trying to play multiple times in a row. At the current rate I'm getting red rings, it'll take about three weeks of playing every day just to unlock Tails.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby EthanEmerald » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:55 am

Sonic Dash for Windows has just been updated with new day/night cycles.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby 009* » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:52 pm

EthanEmerald wrote:Sonic Dash for Windows has just been updated with new day/night cycles.

Yeah, it's a pretty nice touch.
009*
BumbleKnight

Postby EthanEmerald » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:45 pm

squeakyboots13 wrote:The biggest problem I have with the game right now is that it seems like you can only get red rings within certain intervals of time. Like I played one run through and got two red rings at the end of it.

Sonic Dash has just been updated, resolving this particular issue.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius