Scourge: The Return

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Scourge: The Return

Postby Betz! » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:36 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:
Nack wrote:As cool as Scourge was, if I were to be frank then I must admit that I kinda have my fill of Hedgehog characters in this series. I feel we have enough between Sonic, Shadow, Silver, Amy, heck even the robots are Hedgehogs... for the sake of variety I would rather see new characters(that is not a different colored hedgehog) arise in his place.

This is in part why I enjoyed the "Waves of Change" arc so much. The variety of characters we were introduced to in that arc felt refreshing and it was a joy to explore that world in those issues because the characters were so enjoyable.

That said, I am not against the idea of Scourge returning as I am a fan of that character. I guess I'd like to see his return in an interesting way, if his return is even legally possible as I am not up to date with the characters that are usable by Archie. I probably wouldn't like to see an entire arc devoted to him though.

~Nack

I'm certain if he came back, he'd have an arc devoted to him.

Yes. He would. 100% sure.
EDIT: Yardley!, how would YOU redesign Scourge?
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby The Jazzyman » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:03 am

Nack wrote:As cool as Scourge was, if I were to be frank then I must admit that I kinda have my fill of Hedgehog characters in this series. I feel we have enough between Sonic, Shadow, Silver, Amy, heck even the robots are Hedgehogs... for the sake of variety I would rather see new characters(that is not a different colored hedgehog) arise in his place.

This is in part why I enjoyed the "Waves of Change" arc so much. The variety of characters we were introduced to in that arc felt refreshing and it was a joy to explore that world in those issues because the characters were so enjoyable.

That said, I am not against the idea of Scourge returning as I am a fan of that character. I guess I'd like to see his return in an interesting way, if his return is even legally possible as I am not up to date with the characters that are usable by Archie. I probably wouldn't like to see an entire arc devoted to him though.

~Nack

I personally don't see how the Scourge that Ian Flynn created would not be allowed back in legally. Sure, maybe they would not allow him to be an anti-sonic, but the character Scourge as we know him today was Ian Flynn.
The Jazzyman
BumbleFan

Postby Betz! » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:43 pm

So, just out of curiosity, what are the chances of the Prelates coming back in some form or another?

@ChaosCroc Since they're linked to Enerjak/Lara-Su/Jani-Ca? Same as Scourge and Shard.

Scourge is lost.
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby The Shadow Emperor » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:58 pm

The Jazzyman wrote:

~Nack

I personally don't see how the Scourge that Ian Flynn created would not be allowed back in legally. Sure, maybe they would not allow him to be an anti-sonic, but the character Scourge as we know him today was Ian Flynn.

You're right, of course, but Archie isn't taking any risks since Penders has proven to be very sue-happy.
The Shadow Emperor

Postby Betz! » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:31 am

The Shadow Emperor wrote:
The Jazzyman wrote:

~Nack

You're right, of course, but Archie isn't taking any risks since Penders has proven to be very sue-happy.

This is the same guy who went and copyrighted a character he can't even use! (Scourge basically being Sonic but evil) If he can't use them, then why does he try to keep Archie (who CAN use them) from using them?
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby Oakie620 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:00 pm

Betz! wrote:
The Jazzyman wrote:

~Nack

This is the same guy who went and copyrighted a character he can't even use! (Scourge basically being Sonic but evil) If he can't use them, then why does he try to keep Archie (who CAN use them) from using them?

As I understand it, Ken Penders believes he has full rights to "Evil Sonic", considering him an entirely different character (despite evidence to the contrary). While it's difficult to imagine Ken Penders successfully maintaining the rights to an alternate version of Sonic, he made it clear in his message board that he is willing to go to court over what he has (or believes he has) ownership of.

Archie Comics already had their credibility shaken when their failure to secure SEGA's rights to the comic's contents and dubious regard for creators' rights were exposed in litigation. The fact said litigation ended on a settlement is proof that Archie Comics doesn't have a solid enough case to take the matter to court a second time. Aside from the financial costs involved, it's just not worth it to risk damaging their public image and relationship with SEGA even further (which could lead to the loss of their license) over characters which are ultimately unessential to the success of the comic book, no matter how popular they are.
Oakie620
BumbleFan

Postby Betz! » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:02 pm

Oakie620 wrote:
Betz! wrote:
The Jazzyman wrote:

~Nack

As I understand it, Ken Penders believes he has full rights to "Evil Sonic", considering him an entirely different character (despite evidence to the contrary). While it's difficult to imagine Ken Penders successfully maintaining the rights to an alternate version of Sonic, he made it clear in his message board that he is willing to go to court over what he has (or believes he has) ownership of.

Archie Comics already had their credibility shaken when their failure to secure SEGA's rights to the comic's contents and dubious regard for creators' rights were exposed in litigation. The fact said litigation ended on a settlement is proof that Archie Comics doesn't have a solid enough case to take the matter to court a second time. Aside from the financial costs involved, it's just not worth it to risk damaging their public image and relationship with SEGA even further (which could lead to the loss of their license) over characters which are ultimately unessential to the success of the comic book, no matter how popular they are.

If Sega had those popular characters, and they had everything cleared with Penders, could they still use them in the games?
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicSoul » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:44 pm

Still a fat chance of that ever happening.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby ChaosJam » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:21 pm

Betz! wrote:If Sega had those popular characters, and they had everything cleared with Penders, could they still use them in the games?

As opposed to when they did have those popular characters, didn't have to worry about Penders and STILL DIDN'T included them in the games?
It didn't happen then, most certainly won't happen now. Dealing with Penders is clearly a toxic option that neither Archie nor Sega would take regardless of how popular these characters were.
ChaosJam
BumbleNoble

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius