Sony, SEGA and Marza make live-action/animated Sonic movie

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sony, SEGA and Marza make live-action/animated Sonic mov

Postby squeakyboots13 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:49 am

FritzyBeat wrote:That is my biggest worry for this movie honestly. It seems like filmmakers today are obsessed with inserting some star human actor in every movie who is "trying to get the girl" or something, and trying to make us invest in them as the main character when nearly everyone in the theater came to the movie to see the title characters as our main heroes, and see THEM interact with each-other.

It's proven to create bad movies, and it's also proven to make big bucks at the box office, so I wonder how much longer it'll be before filmmakers realize just how terrible an idea it is, and how much more they could make if they just made good movies.

I always think about how amazing Looney Tunes Back in Action could've been if they didn't do that. They got pretty much everything about that movie perfect and then they threw in some generic romance plot with Brendan Fraser for some reason.

I'm hoping that they end up changing their minds on the Sonic movie being live action. If it's still in the script writing phase, then there is still time for them to turn that around. Every attempt at putting Sonic in a more realistic environment in the past has never been successful. Surely, Sega realizes by now that fans didn't like Sonic X or Sonic 2006. And unless the entire movie is going to take place in a city, it would be difficult/uncanny to recreate the classic Sonic locations in live action.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby DC » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:56 am

Sonic just seems one of those things that would not work live action.
DC
BumbleKnight

Postby QuantamEdge » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:18 am

DC wrote:Sonic just seems one of those things that would not work live action.

If that fanmade film from last year was anything to go by, then absolutely, yes.
QuantamEdge
BumbleKnight

Postby ReifuTD » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:28 am

I think live action Sonic movie could work as long as they keep it mostly CGI character and keep the characters looking simple. Witch I mean all the main characters like the games except for Eggman should be computer animated any live action or practical effects should exist to add ambiance to the movie. When Sonic and crew enter a city have real people walk in the back ground and for them to interact with. Take time to build real sets even if only animated characters will be interacting with it. No insert human to fallow Sonic around and save his butt every time they get into a fight.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:35 am

squeakyboots13 wrote:I always think about how amazing Looney Tunes Back in Action could've been if they didn't do that.

Are you implying a movie where Bugs and Daffy fight a Dalek isn't amazing?
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Specs64z » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:07 pm

I guess I could add to why I don't like the idea of live action Sonic, but this video says it all.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rPq6KEU_wrQ
Specs64z
BumbleFan

Postby squeakyboots13 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:23 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
squeakyboots13 wrote:I always think about how amazing Looney Tunes Back in Action could've been if they didn't do that.

Are you implying a movie where Bugs and Daffy fight a Dalek isn't amazing?

I'm implying that a movie where Bugs and Daffy fight a Dalek without Brendan Fraser being there would've been even more amazing.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:31 pm

squeakyboots13 wrote:Surely, Sega realizes by now that fans didn't like Sonic X or Sonic 2006.

*raises hand* I like Sonic X. Outside of the pre-reboot Archie comics it's my favorite Sonic product. I like Chris, his family, his friends, and all the other original characters in the series. Sonic and the game cast don't feel out of their element at all. I also like parts of 06's story, though admittedly Elise is not among them.

Putting personal beliefs on quality aside though, Sonic X was nothing if not popular. The show ran in the US almost continuously for over a decade with only 78 episodes. It was also popular enough for Archie to not only make a comic of its own (unlike say Underground) but for that comic to run for 40 issues and end not due to low sales but due to Archie deciding to try Universe and not wanting three Sonic books on the shelf at once (unlike say Boom which has been cut short at 11 issues). All that and the fact the show received a few toy lines, a video game, and more indicates it was definitely a success financially and among the fandom (at least, the kid fandom, which is the target demo after all).

Bringing it back on topic, if Sonic X were to be considered "putting Sonic in a more realistic environment", then it actually is clear evidence for use of that formula in other media.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby FritzyBeat » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:53 pm

Yeah, not gonna lie, I thought Sonic X was great.

It had it's bleh moments of course, heck, even SatAM (a show I praise to the ends of the earth) I can admit had some dumb moments. But all in all, Sonic X was actually really enjoyable for me. Great voice cast, a lot of funny episodes, some great classic sonic personality, and that last-season epic oh gosh <3

Like I said, Sonic X wasn't perfect, but I still loved it, and it most certainly proved to be extremely popular.
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby squeakyboots13 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:56 pm

When I say that people didn't like Sonic X, I refer mostly to the cast of human characters that play a large role in the show. And they extend beyond Chris and his family. They even made the President a reoccurring character which I felt was too much. And a lot of the time, most of what these characters ever did was just sit around hoping that Sonic can take care of whatever mess the world had gotten into.

And I seriously doubt these characters were the reason why the show managed to be hugely successful in the US. I think that was more just Sonic being a popular franchise in general and being that popular in comparison to any other show 4Kids TV had during the late 2000's. I also don't think it's fair to compare the length of the Sonic X comic to the Sonic Boom comic since the reason for Boom's cancellation had nothing to do with its popularity. (If Archie didn't have any financial issues this year, it would likely still be going.)

I'm not saying Sonic X was a bad show altogether but it should serve as an example of what not to do when making a live action Sonic. (That is of course if they are still insisting on it being live action. A fully CG animated movie is still a better idea and I can't see how implementing live action will do anything that would make kids like it more.)
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby Kellox » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:12 am

I won't just say this cause I dislike Sonic X but even the most hard core Sonic X fans weren't pleased with Chris replacing the roles of several other characters (in the arcs based on the Adventure games) and the fact that Chris was the big star of the show didn't set well right either.
Kellox
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:49 am

Seemed like his role in SA1 wasn't nearly as bad as SA2.

And really, I think I liked pretty much every other human character besides Chris.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:03 am

The adventures of Sonic and Helen would have been the most adorable thing ever.
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:10 pm

Toby wrote:The adventures of Sonic and Helen would have been the most adorable thing ever.

Well that is basically the best episode of any Sonic cartoon ever.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby GentlemanX » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:11 pm

I loved how they incorporated Chris into SA2's plot, it felt very natural and fitting for him to bond with Shadow the way he did. Given his relationship with Sonic and Shadow's relationship with Maria, it seemed perfectly logical to put them together.

I mean, I can understand the argument of why fans don't like Chris, but as the same time I completely disagree. Not only did he have his own personality and development, but he was always looking to help and play an active role in any of Sonic's adventures, ultimately maturing into his own contributing member during the Metarex arc. But to get to that point, after a multi-year time skip, he had to go through the character arc he experiences from episodes 1-52. I have a hard time watching say episode 26, 38, 49-52 etc. and figuring out why people don't like Chris. He's not just the viewer insert character, he's got so much more to him than that.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius