Unpopular Sonic Opinions

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Unpopular Sonic Opinions

Postby SonicSoul » Thu May 22, 2014 6:50 am

Games:
-I prefer the characterization of the games over the comics.
-I don't mind Silver's design. It's silly, sure, but I'll give props for not looking completely like Sonic or Shadow.
-I don't think making Ian a writer for the games is going to magically fix the problems with how they currently write their stories. If anything, Sega won't treat him any differently than Ken and Pontac.
-I don't mind Solo-Sonic and don't care about other characters being playable again, not counting Boom. Having other characters to play has never been a make-it-or-break-it deal for me. But as long as they actually play good, I'll be okay with them.

Comics:
-Putting Fiona as another Archie character I can't stand especially after her change. Don't get me wrong, she was pretty bland as served as nothing but Sally's replacement when she was on the FF's. But I still found how her 180 degree rather rushed and hypocritical of whatever pre-established character she had (she said at some point that hates self-serving guys even though that's Scrouge to a tee?) She's left a bad taste in my mouth ever since.
-I liked Hedgehog Havoc. Not only did we get the debut of Silver, but it also gave me the satisfaction of seeing Sonic take down Scourge, not by going Super himself, but for using his smarts and telling Scourge off (despite knowing Scourge was never going to listen).

Shows:
-SatAM was boring to me. I only watched a few episodes before giving up. Half of me is probably relieved this show was never aware of me as a kid.
-Sonic X is a guilty pleasure. Yeah, as I get older, it loses some of it's charm and notice more flaws, but it's the Sonic media that finally made me a full-fledged fan of the franchise, so it's rather special to me. I also liked 'Gotta Go Fast' for how cheesy it is.
-Speaking of which, even though this one is half-comic, half-cartoon, I'll always prefer the comic version of X over the show. It fixed some of the shows problems such as less screentime on Chris, more focus on the Sonic characters (especially Eggman) and Sonic was given more of the smart-aleck persona like in the games and less aloof as he was in the show.

EDIT: Took out the robotization since I was wrong about it not being in the comic anymore. Oops.
Last edited by SonicSoul on Thu May 22, 2014 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Sonicpolo » Thu May 22, 2014 7:47 am

SonicSoul wrote:-I'm glad robotization is no longer a thing in the reboot (I think).

It's still in the comics. It was mentioned by Axel in 253 and by Professor Pickle and Uncle Chuck in 259.

Here's some more opinions

Sonic R is my one of my favorite racing games and it's music is a guilty pleasure.

I Think Rainbow Dash can beat Sonic in a race.

Hawaiian Shirt Shadow will be the best thing in Sonic Boom if they make that a thing.
Sonicpolo
BumbleCitizen

Postby TrueBlueAlli » Thu May 22, 2014 9:02 am

Sonicpolo23 wrote:
I Think Rainbow Dash can beat Sonic in a race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R6_Chr2vro

^^Ha, I'm picking. But, I totally agree on wanting to see Shadow in a Hawaiian shirt. I would totally ROFL at that. The show is supposed to be a comedy, after all.

Anyway, here are a few of my unpopular opinions:

*Loved M30YL and *most* of M25YL
*I love the marriage between Bunnie and Ant. One of the best lessons people can learn is that being in love with someone isn't about finding the "perfect" person, but its about loving someone despite their imperfections. I think This couple shows that. <3
*Currently enjoying Sonic 06'...Yes, it has its glitches, but I like the story so far.
*After seeing the teaser for Sonic Boom I'm excited for both the show and the game. I didn't like the changes to Knux, but depending on how they play it out it could be good.
*AoSTH was...errr... not my thing. Total respect to those of you that enjoyed it, though. SatAM for this girl.
*Thinking about it, I've always hated Fiona. Thats what made her a great character. I loved to hate her. Seeing Sally punch her in the stomach was one of the greatest setups in Sonic history. I can only hope to despise a character like hers in the re-boot.
*I love that Knux is the only one of his race again. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Echidna clan. All of them. I grew up reading about them and loving them, but after reading SU 63, it was great. It looked good and the character banter was splendid. <3
*Thinking about it, Sonic being his own leader and not actually being a freedom fighter does make sense. I kinda like the idea. Him continuing to be a freedom fighter isn't bad to me though.
*I'd call myself a huge Sonic fan, but Knuckles' Chaotix was the BEST sega/32x game EVARRRRS...

TrueBlueAlli
BumbleFan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Thu May 22, 2014 9:57 am

Meliden wrote:.
-M:XYL should not have existed. The concept was rotten to the core.

Is that really that unpopular? I mean I thought most people hated XYL.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Toby » Thu May 22, 2014 10:58 am

Not for certain if it's unpopular, but it's an opinion, so I'll go ahead and say it here:

I believe Ben Bates is the best penciller this book has ever had. His four issues of the Mega Man crossover was the best art the comic has ever had, and I think it sets the standard of what each and every issue of Sonic the Hedgehog should strive for. It's a terrible shame to see him go.
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Thu May 22, 2014 11:05 am

I'd say that's pretty popular. I love his work just as much and say he's also one of personal, if not absolute favorites.

I don't really see many people say he's overrated, though I'm sure there are, nor do I really see much criticisms of his work besides the occasional "It's too anime-esque" or something.
Last edited by SonicSoul on Thu May 22, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby ShadowBat20 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:10 am

Sonicpolo23 wrote:Hawaiian Shirt Shadow will be the best thing in Sonic Boom if they make that a thing.

That's not an unpopular opinion. That's fact, right there.

Toby wrote:Not for certain if it's unpopular, but it's an opinion, so I'll go ahead and say it here:

I believe Ben Bates is the best penciller this book has ever had. His four issues of the Mega Man crossover was the best art the comic has ever had, and I think it sets the standard of what each and every issue of Sonic the Hedgehog should strive for. It's a terrible shame to see him go.

Agreed so hard. That spread of Sonic speeding around and fighting the Robot Masters in Sonic 250? That is honestly my favorite image that has ever come from the comics.
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

Postby Meliden » Thu May 22, 2014 11:14 am

I'd say his stuff sometimes looked a smidge off, but nothing major that absolutely reduced the quality at all.

The other topic reminded me of a really unpopular opinion that I have; I prefer plenty of villains from other Sonic media to the game villains. Thinking about it, my fave villains are ones like Mordred and Loot and Anton, but then there's other who are simply more engaging for me on a smaller scale (and...aren't reptiles). I can appreciate Eggman and his great qualities, but can't myself engage with the character. The monsters, while neat (Ifrit!), aren't particularly characters. The Zeti...are just really flat. And the less said about the Marauders the better. The best ones from the games that I've any attachment to I'd say are Captain Whisker and Johnny.

I still much prefer the game cast to the comic exclusives overall, make no mistake.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Thu May 22, 2014 11:48 am

Toby wrote:Not for certain if it's unpopular, but it's an opinion, so I'll go ahead and say it here:

I'm going to add to this with it isn't just a shame he's leaving Sonic and Mega Man but Comics period. I really believed that if he got onto a few mainstream books like Superman or Spider-Man he could have been one of the greats.

Hopefully he returns to the comics scene in the future because he is a massive talent that comics need right now.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby QuantamEdge » Thu May 22, 2014 11:58 am

I wholeheartedly agree with the Ben Bates opinion. Also, here are a few more of mine.

Comics
-I actually liked Adventure 2.5 Omega. It was pretty epic in its own way.

-Order from Chaos was one of the best stories I've read in the comic. Sure it was clean up, darn it was so awesome.

-Although many people liked his development in the King Naugus story, I still dislike Geoffrey.

-Forged in Fire was one of SU's best issues.

-It wasn't great, but at its basis Endgame was pretty solid.

Games
-Sonic Heroes is the best Sonic game and by extension the best game I've ever played.

-I may not have played it, but Lost World looks like some decent fun.

-Sonic and the Black Knight had one of the strongest stories in the games.

-I find Colours to be genuinely funny.
QuantamEdge
BumbleKnight

Postby akessel92 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:00 pm

Meliden wrote:I'd say his stuff sometimes looked a smidge off, but nothing major that absolutely reduced the quality at all.

The other topic reminded me of a really unpopular opinion that I have; I prefer plenty of villains from other Sonic media to the game villains. Thinking about it, my fave villains are ones like Mordred and Loot and Anton, but then there's other who are simply more engaging for me on a smaller scale (and...aren't reptiles). I can appreciate Eggman and his great qualities, but can't myself engage with the character. The monsters, while neat (Ifrit!), aren't particularly characters. The Zeti...are just really flat. And the less said about the Marauders the better. The best ones from the games that I've any attachment to I'd say are Captain Whisker and Johnny.

I still much prefer the game cast to the comic exclusives overall, make no mistake.

So do I but they do spice things up as much as people call sally a don bluthe ripoff, rotor a mcdonalds reject, and Antoine and Bunnie the stereotypes
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby apprentice manta » Thu May 22, 2014 9:39 pm

Comics:

I think Sally & Monkey Khan were a really cute couple, wished they'd been together longer.

Most of the Ret-gone charas I miss were NOT Penders creations. I miss Larry, Shard, Mina, Ash, Monkey Khan (top tier) Conquering Storm, Harvey Who, Beauregard Rabbot, & Matilda (second tier choices). Fiona, Scourge, & the Destructix were alright as villains. Prince Elias was the best Penders chara, primarily because Karl Bollers & Ian Flynn gave him some added depth.

I like all the SEGA Sonic touches, the checkerboard hills, the Extreme Gear, Flickies & Chao in the background, the game badniks, etc.

I do like several of the SatAM & Archie exclusive charas, but I feel they should be less prominent than the SEGA cast. So I don't mind Shadow & Knux getting more SU stories.

Almost all the Archie exclusive charas needed revamped looks. I've wanted them to look more SEGA Sonic-y since 1999. Even w/out the reboot, I still would've welcomed new designs. (I think they were headed that way regardless.)

I thought the Shameless Plugs were funny.

I didn't mind the After The Credits Incentive. I don't usually get the variant covers, this time I actually looked for one & bought it. I would not be adverse to After The Credits becoming an annual thing even though I know many, many people hated the concept entirely.

Bunnie & Antoine are more interesting as a married couple than if they were just dating or single. C'mon, we need at least 1 happy marriage in a comic book.
Spoiler: show
*pleading voice* Don't Mephisto it away, Ian!

There needs to be an Off Panel where Silver & Manic (Sonic Underground) compare quill-styles.

Games:

Sonic Advance 3 was my least favorite handheld Sonic game because I found it too easy to access the Special Stages & beat the final boss (compared to Advance 1 & 2.)

I liked the Riders series more than the Rush series, even though I find Blaze & Marine to be more compelling charas than the Babylon Rogues. It's the gameplay & Extreme Gear design in Riders that I love.

Big the Cat is awesome! I loved him in Adventure, I liked when he had cameos in Adventure 2. (I don't consider the versions that remove those scenes to be canon, nyeh!) He was actually useful in Heroes & Chronicles. Plus his design is adorbs.

The Tiny Chao Garden was a great bonus feature, I wish it would return in newer games. I'd love to see Chao in updated graphics.

Emerl had a better design than Gemerl IMO.

Cartoons:

I liked Season 1 SatAM better than Season 2. The character design was slightly cuter, there were no 11-minute shorts, Antoine was slightly more likeable (they didn't add that neat freak trait to his long list of flaws until Season 2), and there was no Dulcy. Cree Summer is a great voice actress, I like most of her roles, but even she could not make Dulcy appeal to me.

The dubbed Sonic X theme is more memorable & enjoyable than the SatAM tune. I prefer most of the Sonic X background music to the SatAM soundtrack.

Coconuts is my favorite AOSTH chara.

I liked Sam Speed & Agent Topaz more than Cosmo, possibly because I could not picture Tails having a crush on anyone except Sonic.
apprentice manta
BumbleNoble

Postby NicTheWeasel » Thu May 22, 2014 11:41 pm

Thought of another for the games: I like the Sonic 4/Sonic Rush ring physics because getting hit and retrieving rings isn't much of a strategy. Most of the LP's and reviews I've seen talk about how they hate that feature. I think it adds a nice little bit of complexity to the 2D Sonic formula.
NicTheWeasel
BumbleFan

Postby StoryMaker » Fri May 23, 2014 7:51 pm

misspuar wrote:I like all the SEGA Sonic touches, the checkerboard hills, the Extreme Gear, Flickies & Chao in the background, the game badniks, etc.

I do like several of the SatAM & Archie exclusive charas, but I feel they should be less prominent than the SEGA cast. So I don't mind Shadow & Knux getting more SU stories.

Almost all the Archie exclusive charas needed revamped looks. I've wanted them to look more SEGA Sonic-y since 1999. Even w/out the reboot, I still would've welcomed new designs. (I think they were headed that way regardless.)

I agree with these opinions so much.

I will say this: I will miss the old continuity, and it's sad that it's gone forever. In a way, there was a definite charm to all that stupid stuff being canon, and just how intricate and involved the mythos was.

But overall, the reboot still felt like it was a long time comin'. I just wish that all those old continuity concepts were still legally accessible, so that this new universe could keep more references to the old, to "keep it alive" more. But there's no way the reboot would've happened if it wasn't for the legal debacle, so I guess this is just the way it gotta be.

I didn't like #200's art. I just think that Tracey Yardley pencils and Terry Austin inks really don't get along. Or at least, they didn't. I think Austin's gotten better over time.

I really didn't like Yardley's drawings of Sally before her redesign. The reason is because Yardley's style feels so much like the Sega games, and the old Sally design really didn't look like a Sega game character and didn't work as one. Those huge gloveless hands, in particular, were a tad ugly. Redesigned Sally, who know looks like a Sega game character, looks as great as anyone drawn by Yardley.

I prefer roboticization to legionization.

Ken Penders' writing does have some good points. I actually liked how he tried to create a huge mythos. The problem was that the universe he constructed got away from what it was supposed to be about - Sonic. (And Knuckles :P)
StoryMaker
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri May 23, 2014 8:33 pm

misspuar wrote:I like all the SEGA Sonic touches, the checkerboard hills, the Extreme Gear, Flickies & Chao in the background, the game badniks, etc.

Count me in on this.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius