Unpopular Sonic Opinions

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Unpopular Sonic Opinions

Postby NicTheWeasel » Mon May 19, 2014 6:15 pm

GAMES

-I like Sonic 06 for its story, though I'm neutral on Elise.
-Sonic 4 is super fun. HD Episode 1, Episode 2, and Episode 3 need to come to the Wii U yesterday.
-Sonic CD is a good game, but not a good Sonic game.
-Generations is fun, but somewhat overrated.
-I've really grown to appreciate Big's story in SA1. His gameplay's dreadful, but I like the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern feel to it.
-Sonic Spinball is very challenging, but it's addictive and fun.
-I don't like the direction Lost World has started down. After finally refining the modern Sonic formula in Colors, they decided it was time to reinvent the gameplay again. Along those lines, all I've ever wanted from Sonic was essentially the same game with new levels and minor improvements. In the Genesis era, I wanted more like S3K and got 3D Blast. In the Dreamcast era, I wanted more like SA1/2 and got Heroes. In the Modern era, I wanted more like Colors and got Lost World. -.-'

COMICS
-I liked the "dark ages" stories just fine. None of the stories really bothered me at all and I actively enjoyed more than a few of them.
-The Mecha Sally stuff suffered from a seriously slow pace and was a relatively boring lull for the comic. (Though I'd say it's the first and, so far, only real lull of Ian's run.)
-I've said this a lot already, but it seems to be an unpopular opinion: I would have preferred a hard reboot.
-Two years ago, I would've said, "a Shadow arc followed by a Knuckles arc? AWESOME!" But I was underwhelmed by Shadow Fall and am, at best, only whelmed by the Knuckles arc so far.
-I really respected the old comic for things like Knuckles being a child of Divorce, Hershey/Drago, Dulcy/Zan, and Charmy's friend who died in the Knux 13-15 arc.
-I shipped Mina/Sonic in the old universe pretty much from the moment Mina was introduced.
-If they were going to reboot the whole gorram universe anyway, they should've just let the original Endangered Species arc happen, gone into a proper "endgame" and/or epic cliffhanger, and then, once again, because it bears repeating, gone for the hard reboot.
-Even though the new direction is growing on me, I'm still very bitter about everything that was lost...that might actually be a popular opinion; I'm not sure. I seem to mostly see a bunch of "squee" and "get over it" though.
NicTheWeasel
BumbleFan

Postby Toby » Mon May 19, 2014 6:28 pm

The reboot was the absolute greatest thing to happen to the comic.
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby TheFatPanda » Mon May 19, 2014 6:31 pm

I actually really respect the concept of Knuckles and Julie-Su being non-married with a child in MxYL. A lot of kids media likes to avoid the concept of birth out of wedlock, despite it being totally common in this age, and I thought the comic putting it in was pretty bold of them.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Spinehog » Mon May 19, 2014 6:42 pm

-I think the games should revert to the storytelling and gameplay of the Sonic Adventure/06 style.

-Sonic Chronicles is one of my favorite Sonic games. I loved how much story it had, and how it referenced past games.

-I thought Sth4ep2 was great and worthy of being a sequel to the classic quadrilogy.

-I place Secret Rings and Heroes as worse than 06... but not by much :(hearty laughter):

-I think that had Chris had less spotlight Sonic X would have been great.
Spinehog
BumbleNoble

Postby Spin » Mon May 19, 2014 6:56 pm

Games

- I enjoy the music from Sonic R.
- Marine was a great character in Sonic Rush Adventure.
- Sonic Adventure was better than Sonic Adventure 2.

Comic

- I don't much care for the SatAM stuff. So no favors were done for me in keeping them in the new continuity, especially as content heavy as they are.
- Liked the Sonic/Sally/Mina love triangle. It could have been handled better though.
- I loved the slap. Speaking as someone who generally dislikes Sally. I thought it was natural for her at the time and don't hold it against her.
- Wish Chris Thorndyke could be in the new continuity.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby SonicSoul » Mon May 19, 2014 7:00 pm

Here's another from me.

I don't think the Adventure games had the best storytelling and shouldn't be used as templates for how current or future games should do theirs.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Mon May 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Comics:
-I actually liked Endgame despite it's problems
-Ken Penders and Karl Bollers were pretty good when they first started writing stories
-I dislike a portion of Ian Flynn's fanbase, and the portion I dislike are the ones that constantly praise him as the best Sonic comic writer ever and bash other writers, especially the ones that bash characters of Ken Penders. Ian Flynn fans who like other writers are the ones I have no problems with

Games:
-I liked the music from Sonic R as well
-I liked hugely hated characters such as Big the Cat and Cream the Rabbit

That's all I have for now. I'll post more if I think of more.
NiTROACTiVE
BumbleClan

Postby TheMajinV » Mon May 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Comics

- I honestly don't care that most of the Penders characters are gone. Personally, the only thing that miffed me about the whole thing was that it screwed up the whole "King Naugus/Mecha-Sally" storyline, which was starting look pretty good.
- I like Thrash, and the turn they took with him in Endangered Species was actually quite good, and unexpectedly dark for a series like this. I want to see more stories like this!
- *Not sure if this counts* The SU arcs post-Worlds Collide and Reboot have been some of the best I've read in the entire series.

Games

- Not much? I hate what Sonic '06 has done to the franchise as a whole. I enjoyed screwing around with some friends for the experience of it, but at its core it is a very bad game. Even if the rushed production never happened, I strongly believe that it wouldn't have made much of a difference - Sonic '06 would have probably had a similar reception to Lost World, IMO.
TheMajinV
BumbleNewbie

Postby Nintenfreak » Mon May 19, 2014 8:02 pm

I agree with Toby that the reboot is the best thing that could happen to the comic, really. Is it a rushed hassle? Yeah, it is because we couldn't just start fresh for some reason. But it's really helped make the comic must more enjoyable. I don't have to have a whole lot of things I don't understand.

Of course, a lot of this has to do with Ian Flynn being unmatched in his Sonic comic writing ability. Compared to the incredibly dry and emotionless Ken Penders.
Nintenfreak
BumbleKnight

Postby Spinehog » Mon May 19, 2014 8:28 pm

Spin wrote:Games

- I enjoy the music from Sonic R.

Mmmm Living in the City is da bomb.
Spinehog
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon May 19, 2014 9:20 pm

I think Sonic 2006 could have been pretty good with more time in the oven, as I think it had some strong ideas that didn't have the substance to back them up.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby streetsonic13 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Yo! I'm fond of Sonic R music. Best creative lyrics!

Anyways...

Sonic 06 - Could've been better, if they had told the publisher, "GIVE US MORE TIME!!!" Could've came out better in 2007.

Also, I loved Sonic Shuffle and I demand a sequel!!! With better mini-games! More utilities and creative design for the party game!
streetsonic13
BumbleCitizen

Postby Tcat » Mon May 19, 2014 9:50 pm

- I refuse to give Unleashed a chance because of the inclusion of the Hogwolf. (Though I did play the PC fanmade DLC of the day stages. FYI: I didn't mind it - I kind of enjoyed it more than Generations - but there was at least one part in each stage that irritated the snot out of me with those little over-the-water running parts. There were just too many of them and I spent more tim drowning than playing the level.)

- I didn't like the Adventure series... though I thought Sonic/Shadow's parts in 2 were the best thing of the series.

- I'm pretty fine with the reboot, though my interest has kind of gone down the drain since then. I'm not entirely sure why (though the idea of leading to an Unleashed adaption is part of it). I know I'm not a supporter of the 3D games, but I don't mind the game characters themselves. It's sort of a confusing paradoxical thing.

- I think Sonic Chronicles was the best of the 3D games. Still say it did the Dark Legion and Julie-Su better than Ken Penders could ever do.

- I don't mind the idea of a Sonic/Elise love thing. Hey, Jessica Rabbit and Roger had a good thing going.

- That being said I'm glad Knuckles and Julie-Su never tied the knot officially. There's nothing under the sun more binding than lurve itself. :3

- Also, I have Sonic R on my Zune. Nyah. :P

- I really don't like Eggman as a villain. I find him super boring. I don't mind him in the early games as he was just someone to smack around, but as he gets more characterization I find myself wanting to just skip his parts.
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby The Bored » Mon May 19, 2014 10:35 pm

-I find both SatAM & Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog to be overrated.
-If I'm going to watch SatAM, though, I'm going to watch the 2nd season, which I consider superior to the first due to having an ongoing story
-The day stages on the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed were the most fun I've ever had in a Sonic game. Even compared to most of the more recent ones I've played (though I've not played Sonic Generations yet)
-I really hate Roger Craig Smith's delivery as Sonic. I think Jason Griffith was probably the best voice for Sonic so far.
-I really liked a lot of Ken Penders & Karl Bollers' early stories when they were working on the comic. In fact I think Pender's work on Sonic was far superior to his writing in the Knuckles series (excluding End Lame)
-It would be a terrible thing for the comics if the Freedom Fighters were added to the games, then the writer's creative freedom with those characters would be gone
-I actually liked the idea of Robo-Robotnik replacing Robotnik Prime. I liked that they took something that was really pretty obscure from the comics old days like that rather than just revealing that the bad guy survived after all.
-While I'm mostly happy about the reboot, I too feel that to much was thrown out. I think
some story elements should have been kept.
-I think Thrash is a great character & I hope he makes the cut to appear in the new universe
-Sonic Live is a freaking masterpiece compared to the early stories in Sonic the Comic
-While I did like him in the comics, I now find Shadow to be a very stupid character and I wish he'd stayed dead
-I love the Eggman levels of Sonic Adventure 2. I just feel so bad@ when I get to blow everything up.
-Knuckles had the best levels in Sonic Adventure 2 and the best controls
-Cosmo was a terrible character in Sonic X and I'm glad she died.
The Bored
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Tue May 20, 2014 7:11 am

Wouldn't you know, a few more. Only this time I bothered throwing in some non-game ones.

-I didn't really care much for Emerl in Battle. Since he kind of just copied the personalities of mostly Sonic and Knuckles and somehow that made him sound obnoxious, I just couldn't stand him. Even at the end when he was about to die and goodbye to everyone I was all like "JUST SHUT UP AND DIE ALREADY!" And yes, I know it was meant to be an emotional scene since everyone developed a bond with him throughout the game, but it just didn't do anything for me since I barely cared about him to begin with.
-I don't miss any of the old characters or continuity.
-I could care less about the mandates.
-I hated Chronicles for it's tedious gameplay and it's story for it's pathetic attempt to make itself canon by making references to past games, (so the Knuckles clan didn't need the Chaos Emeralds because they were greedy jerks, but so they could beat some other tribe that just so happened to be more technologically advanced than them? Really?)
-I think Mephiles is overrated. Not only do I think his "accomplishment" for being the first and only villain to kill Sonic was a fluke since all he did was blind him and cheap-shot'd him from behind, but some fans just view as some manipulative mastermind in a convoluted scheme to be Solaris again, when he came off more as an idiot who wasted his time tricking a gullible hedgehog from the future to his work for him and (failing) to tempt Shadow to join him when all he had to do was make this one girl cry. Also need I mention his ability to travel through time which honestly would've made this goal much easier to accomplish instead of how he decided to use it?
-I'm not weirded out by Sonic characters being toe-less. They seem more like an aesthetic than something they need.
-I never liked Mobius as a name. Just seemed like a hokey way of saying it's Not-Earth because kids would be dumb enough to think their Earth and a fictional Earth are the same thing.
-I like Chip in Unleashed and don't think he replaced Tails's role like some have said. Tails, as much as I like him, honestly wouldn't have been appropriate for the whole duality between light and dark theme the game had should he have gotten more focus than Chip.
-I don't think comparing Rodger Rabbit and Jessica Rabbit with the Sonelise paring is good justification for the paring itself. RR and JR was played for humorous intentions with occasional sincerity of their relationship. Sonelise on the other hand, was meant to be taken seriously and due to 06's poor writing and understanding of how to write an interspecies romance, it just didn't work and came off more hokey than charming.
-I liked SU#2 for how it showed how developed Shadow and Sonic's relationship has been since SA2.
-Scourge can screw off for all I care. A painfully obnoxious character/villain who I'm supposed to feel sorry for as soon as he brings up his dad and how 'unloved' he was. Gag me.
-I like it when the game's plots tend to be more light and humorous with occasional serious moments, preferably near the end.
Last edited by SonicSoul on Tue May 20, 2014 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius