Unpopular Sonic Opinions

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Unpopular Sonic Opinions

Postby SamCyberCat » Mon May 19, 2014 1:30 pm

TheFatPanda just reminded me of another one:

- I actually liked Thrash, felt the story of how his kind mutated over time was very interesting and would have loved to have seen more of his story.
SamCyberCat
BumbleCitizen

Postby TheFatPanda » Mon May 19, 2014 1:39 pm

Ya know what, dare I say...I actually sympathised with Thrash a little.

When something like that happens at the hands of a group of people who all just so happened to fall into a particular category, it can be easy to fall into the trap of resenting everybody who falls under it, which I'll admit I've been guilty of a few times.

Sure, what Thrash did was bad, I ain't denying that, but the base of what drove him to do it is at least human (the spiritual sense). What Thrash felt was human, he just didn't stop it from developing into something non-human.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Astrobot7000 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:48 pm

- The Sonic comic has been declining for many years now. When Ian slows down, the comic is fantastic. Not everything has to be mindless and repetative action, but for some reason the Sonic book sacrifices everything deeper for the sake of another spin dash.

- I detest the reboot. Sure, a lot of things needed to cleaning up, and I don't mind that a reboot happened, but did it have to be this severe even with the Penders characters gone?

- Sega mandates are getting ridiculous. Sega cast cannot even be implies as aging whatsoever? Sonic's planet being named after himself? Ridiculousness.

- I absolutely detest the revised Chaotix.

- I would love a special issue of nothing but Off-Panel or Short Circuit strips. It would of course have to be a stand-alone side special that would not mess with anyone's subscription.

- Ian's work on Mega Man is excellent been though it started off on very rocky (pun intended) footing. His writing has improved a great deal and is superior to Sonic in many, many ways. The primary way, however, is that characterization is not thrown to the side in favor of another Mega Buster shot.

- Is Fire Man ever going to be featured?
Last edited by Astrobot7000 on Mon May 19, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby TheFatPanda » Mon May 19, 2014 1:53 pm

-I'm enjoying the reboot, except I can't help but think Ian went a little too overboard with it. I can't help but think Ian could've found a way to keep some of the plots from the old timeline and rework them, i.e. Antoine's coma and Bunnie's departure could've been carried over with certain details changed.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby The Shadow Emperor » Mon May 19, 2014 2:21 pm

Games:

-Shadow the Hedgehog is fun.
-The Adventure era was the best time for Sonic.
-Sonic Advance 3 and the Rush series were not enjoyable.
-Sonic Heroes is the worst 3D Sonic game of all time.
-The games have been on a constant downward spiral since Unleashed.
-Emulating Mario is a BAD idea.
-I'll take Sonic '06's story over the nonsense we have now any day.
-Characters other than Sonic, Tails and Eggman are a good thing.
-I don't enjoy playing the classics.
-Imperator Ix and Black Doom are the best characters of all time.
-Sega should stop listening to those waxing nostalgic for the classic era.

Comics:

-Bold New Moebius was horribly boring and cliché.
-Light Mobius wasn't much better.
-Steven Butler's art is (was?) good.
-If you get rid of the comic-original cast then you may as well toss the SatAM stuff too.
-The comic should do its own thing and not copy the game timeline with some SatAMers thrown in.
-Knuckles was better off when he actually had a backstory.
-I would rather read Sonic Live than Endangered Species.
-The SegaSonic cast are horribly boring characters who need room for development.
-Sega should influence the comic less, not more.
-I'll take the old continuity over the new any day.
-If you're going to reboot the entire series, start at the beginning instead of the middle of the story.
-I don't believe the comic should change to match what Sega does "just because."
The Shadow Emperor

Postby akessel92 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:43 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:-I'm enjoying the reboot, except I can't help but think Ian went a little too overboard with it. I can't help but think Ian could've found a way to keep some of the plots from the old timeline and rework them, i.e. Antoine's coma and Bunnie's departure could've been carried over with certain details changed.

I agree with that too. But then again there is still stuff we don't know which is my pet peeve. One thing that I wish is that comic characters and satam characters are recognized as official characters because I mean Sega pulls the strings and I am sick of fans treating them as fanfic characters.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby Daisetsu » Mon May 19, 2014 3:48 pm

Sonic Adventure 2 is not as good as everyone says it is.

Sonic Spinball is not a bad game at all.

Story is not important to the games nor should it ever be considered important.

The current mandates are neither stupid nor bad.

Good riddance to nameless ekid'nya #5496 (although, I will miss Dr. Fin).

Sonic X is not a bad show... JP-wise, anyway.

The Chao garden should NEVER come back. It adds absolutely nothing to the games (and it tears me up to see people say they like it over the main game).

The US Robotonik design is stupid and never should have been created. I'm glad it no longer exists in the comic.

Edit: and for the biggest one of all, *crosses arms dramatically* I don't think Marine is annoying in the least.
Daisetsu
BumbleNoble

Postby TheFatPanda » Mon May 19, 2014 4:06 pm

Daisetsu wrote:Edit: and for the biggest one of all, *crosses arms dramatically* I don't think Marine is annoying in the least.

But the annoyingness is what makes her awesome.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Mon May 19, 2014 4:08 pm

Comics

-I enjoyed Sonic Genesis and honestly don't see the hate for it. It's not like it was for nothing. It introduced important elements needed for issues to come and was a fun story overall even if Antoine is unlikeable in it and back to his cowardly self.

-I enjoyed House of Cards. It isn't the best arc by far but for something that had been set up by Mr.Penders/Bollers (I'm not sure if it was Penders or Karl who settled up the sub plot) but I thought it set up the fight with Sonic and Tails good and having the villains cheer them on was funny, especially Mogul's snarky comments to Sonic. But the two major downsides for me is Tails' parents are really unlikeable here. Rosemary at least shows concern for Tails but it takes like one minute before she's convinced to storm Castle Acorn. Both of Tails' parents also acted like they knew what's best for the kingdom and no one else's opinion mattered. It wasn't until Sally comes in that they are brought to reason.

The second thing is Tails being ticked off at Sonic is because of Fiona. That felt stupid. I mean it would be fine if it was a reason why he was ticked off and there were other bigger reasons but no. The reason Tails wanted to kick Sonic's butt wasn't to save his family. It wasn't to prove himself, it was just because he was angry at Sonic for dating Fiona despite the fact she didn't want to date Tails. Fiona is at least 5 year older, and she already backstabbed all of them at this stage to go with Scourge.

Games:

-I liked Shadow the Hedgehog. It was one of my favourites when I was younger and I still like it now although it's not one of my favourites.

-Sonic Riders was a another game I enjoyed, Zero Riders was OK if not harder but Sonic Free Riders is awful.

-I don't think the Werehog is too bad in Sonic Unleashed although they should have had a better balance for Speed and Werehog levels
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby Pyrite » Mon May 19, 2014 4:13 pm

Let's see...

Games
Sonic Heroes is the best Sonic game
Silver and Marine are among my favourite characters

Comics/Other Media
I liked Sonic X (didn't really like Chris but enjoyed the rest of the cast just fine)
I liked Endangered Species
Team Fighters > The FF (although I admit I've warmed up to them in the reboot)
Didn't get the old comic continuity at all - it was far too convoluted
Pyrite
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Mon May 19, 2014 4:15 pm

Sorry for double post but I forgot the cartoons :P

-I'm not a big fan of Adventures of Sonic. I used to watch it when I was younger but I have not seen it in years and I'm not sure if I'd like it or not.

-I do like some episodes of Sonic Underground. Not all of them mind you but there still was some good ones like the one with the evil Sonic,Manic, and Sonia and the Spy Fly one where Manic is brainwashed to serve Robotnik.

-I like Sonic X and honestly wish they would bring it back in the UK in reruns or something. I liked that it stuck to the games and game personalities more and didn't think Chris was too bad in it. I also enjoyed the arc with Tails and Cosmo in the last season.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby Tsurugi » Mon May 19, 2014 4:44 pm

Don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I actually like the "Gotta Go Fast" theme 4Kids did for Sonic X. It's a better theme than what we got in the UK & Ireland when it was airing on Jetix, at least in my opinion.
Here's a comparison:
The Gotta Go Fast theme: http://youtu.be/_wayegf5ULk
and the Jetix theme: http://youtu.be/P7A-oEXmybc

While the rhythm for both songs are okay, the American opening actually has lyrics, while the Jetix theme has the show's title sung in different inflections. I didn't mind it when I was younger, but now it kinda bugs me for some reason :|
Tsurugi
BumbleNoble

Postby Polish Pete » Mon May 19, 2014 5:10 pm

Games:
- Knuckles' Chaotix seriously needs to be re-released. It's a really fun game.
- The Great Clement taught me to enjoy Sonic Labyrinth.
- Sonic Spinball is addictive.
- Come on people, Big and Marine aren't THAT bad!
- I like the new approach the writers are giving to the story in the new games. Simple, enjoyable and funny. That's what made AoStH so great in my opinion.
- In terms of gameplay, however... things finally started picking up after Sonic '06 and the Secret Rings and it reached the peak with Sonic Colors and Generations, but when Sonic Lost World came out, things started to wane again... but I really hope that Sonic Team won't let us down with their next game...

Comics:
- I hate how the characters are shown with human proportions. They're too tall and too skinny. The art is very inconsistent. They should've looked the same way they were portrayed in SatAM, Sonic X and SEGA's official art designs. They're cartoon characters, for cryin' out loud! This is why I love Scott Shaw! and Art Mawhinney's art so much. They knew how to draw them properly. In fact, both of them even worked on AoStH and SatAM, so there's that!
- I don't think I'm gonna miss any of Penders' characters. Too bad about Sonic's parents, though. I kinda liked them.

Cartoons:
- Was Sonic Christmas Blast really that necessary?
- Sonic Underground would be a much better show, if they at least gave us an ending. Is that so much to ask?
- Sonic X is overall just a very underwhelming show, no matter which language you choose. Nothing but a mere quick cash grab. It also doesn't help that the worldwide distribution was handled by 4Kids.
Last edited by Polish Pete on Mon May 19, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Polish Pete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Meliden » Mon May 19, 2014 5:27 pm

Polish Pete wrote:I don't think I'm gonna miss any of Penders' characters. Too bad about Sonic's parents, though. I kinda liked them.

Sonic's parents were Penders characters.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Polish Pete » Mon May 19, 2014 5:32 pm

Meliden wrote:
Polish Pete wrote:I don't think I'm gonna miss any of Penders' characters. Too bad about Sonic's parents, though. I kinda liked them.

Sonic's parents were Penders characters.

I know that.
Polish Pete
BumbleCitizen

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius