Unpopular Sonic Opinions

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Unpopular Sonic Opinions

Postby Azul » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:45 pm

Is it unpopular to not like Sonic the Comic? I don't hate it entirely but I don't many of the characterizations, the art, or some of the villians. It does have some really cool moments and plots, my favorite being that time Sonic laying a verbal beat down on Robotnik when he gained reality altering powers but overall, and the Metallix plot was pretty epic but all in all the cons outweigh the pros.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby DudestofGuys » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:55 pm

Penguin God wrote:Unless Amy showing up counts as the plot grinding to a halt to show her as super-amazing, I really can't find examples. She's gotten about as much attention as Tails, Rotor and Big. That's not exactly intrusive when she's one of the five main cast members of the franchise.

You're trying to argue semantics with someone whose rebuttal to "If you're going to give different periods of a character's existence different names, at least only modify the part that shows up the least for clarity's sake" is "but I think that one makes more sense so that's the REAL one." Y'know, like if someone called Sally during the period where she had long hair "Sally" and the rest of the character's existence becomes "shorthair!Sally".

You're not going to win a battle of syntax here.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby Mordum » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:03 pm

He does become more and more fascinating with each post, though, so I want this to keep going. Preferably forever.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby akessel92 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:40 pm

Mordum wrote:He does become more and more fascinating with each post, though, so I want this to keep going. Preferably forever.

Or until this forum fades out.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby lalalei2001 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:01 pm

Azul wrote:Is it unpopular to not like Sonic the Comic? I don't hate it entirely but I don't many of the characterizations, the art, or some of the villians. It does have some really cool moments and plots, my favorite being that time Sonic laying a verbal beat down on Robotnik when he gained reality altering powers but overall, and the Metallix plot was pretty epic but all in all the cons outweigh the pros.

I don't think it's that uncommon, particularly with how Sonic himself was portrayed.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby ToaArcan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:26 pm

DudestofGuys wrote:
Penguin God wrote:Unless Amy showing up counts as the plot grinding to a halt to show her as super-amazing, I really can't find examples. She's gotten about as much attention as Tails, Rotor and Big. That's not exactly intrusive when she's one of the five main cast members of the franchise.

You're trying to argue semantics with someone whose rebuttal to "If you're going to give different periods of a character's existence different names, at least only modify the part that shows up the least for clarity's sake" is "but I think that one makes more sense so that's the REAL one." Y'know, like if someone called Sally during the period where she had long hair "Sally" and the rest of the character's existence becomes "shorthair!Sally".

OKay, because apparently this gets skipped over every time I bring it up, I'm going to post it here with no waffle around it.

Earliest appearances of Fiona: Neutral. She's a criminal, but she's doing it to survive and she never once antagonizes the heroes. She has two appearances during this phase, and in both of them she aids the heroes (Though 125 probably shouldn't count). Being a criminal doesn't automatically make her evil.

Post-time skip appearances of Fiona: Good. This really shouldn't need much explanation.

Post-172 appearances of Fiona: Evil. Again, this doesn't need explaining.

Future timeline Fiona: Good. She's a member of Jani-Ca's FF, and there's no traces of her presence being something she's been forced into. Okay, yes, Dark Mobius is only a possible future, but the other possible future is totally impossible because Locke's in it but he already died in the present. Unless it's been changed again and Dark Mobius is just an AU once more.

But yeah, Fiona being a villain is totally the norm for her character. Except when you look at the actual timeline of her life and it looks more like a rebellious teenager phase taken to the extreme.

Yeah, I think I'm just about done here. Hanging around has been an interesting experiment, but when the "Unpopular Opinions" thread is comprised mainly of people arguing because someone expressed an unpopular opinion,
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby akessel92 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:00 pm

ToaArcan wrote:
DudestofGuys wrote:

OKay, because apparently this gets skipped over every time I bring it up, I'm going to post it here with no waffle around it.

Earliest appearances of Fiona: Neutral. She's a criminal, but she's doing it to survive and she never once antagonizes the heroes. She has two appearances during this phase, and in both of them she aids the heroes (Though 125 probably shouldn't count). Being a criminal doesn't automatically make her evil.

Post-time skip appearances of Fiona: Good. This really shouldn't need much explanation.

Post-172 appearances of Fiona: Evil. Again, this doesn't need explaining.

Future timeline Fiona: Good. She's a member of Jani-Ca's FF, and there's no traces of her presence being something she's been forced into. Okay, yes, Dark Mobius is only a possible future, but the other possible future is totally impossible because Locke's in it but he already died in the present. Unless it's been changed again and Dark Mobius is just an AU once more.

But yeah, Fiona being a villain is totally the norm for her character. Except when you look at the actual timeline of her life and it looks more like a rebellious teenager phase taken to the extreme.

Yeah, I think I'm just about done here. Hanging around has been an interesting experiment, but when the "Unpopular Opinions" thread is comprised mainly of people arguing because someone expressed an unpopular opinion,

Alright, you have a point on the chronology. However, though she never directly antagonizes them. But when she saw mighty again, did she help him out of finding Ray out of the goodness of her heart? It occurred to me she was working with nic to help mighty out of her own self interests. Though she had to survive she tied and networked herself into the mobian criminal underworld.

Also, why did she join the freedom fighters? When she could have taken this network on her own by being an insider. However, not one mission she joined did she ever ask to bring down any criminal boss like ebony hare, sleuth, drago wolf, the rest destructix and so on. Only Intel on rouge was gathered. Not any of the more dangerous ones. So her intentions of joining has come into scrutiny.

And finally, dark mobius is only an alternate future not a canon one. (Which I actually like alternate futures for ongoing fiction because it makes the curious of how this future came to pass and so on.) So, it's unknown as to how she was good here when truly her history in early issues (first appearance to prior 172) are neither good nor evil.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby Mordum » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:50 pm

Canon doesn't mean "definitively will happen." In the context of the previous universe, at the time the story was published, Dark Mobius was a canonical future.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby SwingofThings » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:02 pm

That seems legitimate to me but still I think it´s hard to say if Fiona really is good in the Dark Mobius. To me it seems she could also be neutral person caught between a rock and a hard Place. To me it at least seems that all kinds of people had a common enemy (Enerjak) and they decided to cooperate to bring him down. Some lost sooner some later. I´m not saying she couldn´t be good in that future after all, I´m just exploring ideas.
SwingofThings
BumbleNewbie

Postby 009* » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:18 pm

I kinda wish we didn't have the second crossover. It was still nice, but with how it ended, it makes me wonder why it wasn't a separate series.
009*
BumbleKnight

Postby Penguin God » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:23 pm

Oh, that opinion's not unpopular at all.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby ToaArcan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:59 pm

I suppose I'll make one last post, because I've been discussing this with friends on Skype, and it's quite an interesting one: What the heck was up with Li Moon?

This is Li Moon is she was introduced in Issue 60:

Here we can see that she has small cat ears, brown eyes, and a very obvious feline tail. Also, her grandfather is a lion, and interbreeding between lions and tigers is a relatively well-known thing.

And yet, when she returns in SU13, she's a younger Fiona with a different haircut. Her eyes, ears, and her entire species have changed for... what reason, exactly? I mean seriously, what was the point in changing a character's species, especially if the result is her looking like a clone of another character?
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby lalalei2001 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:28 pm

I forgot what current Li Moon looked like, so here's a picture XD
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:54 am

...That IS current Li Moon (considering I think she maybe one cameo after and then got booted with the reboot), and I won't lie, that is one that got to me too. Like, I can understand people having ambiguity between a tiger and a red panda (although Li Yuen being there and the fact the markings are black suggests tiger pretty clearly), but that's not a licence to just up and turn her into whatever species you want to fit to give Tails the googly eyes. She never resembled a regular fox (a red panda is also known as a firefox, but they're still not foxes).
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby ToaArcan » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:45 am

They could've given Tails the googly eyes without changing her species, though. Or does he only go for people that look like Fiona now?
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius