Unpopular Sonic Opinions

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Unpopular Sonic Opinions

Postby theJcfreak » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:57 pm

Xabin wrote:Anyway, I've been noticing that Finitevus is becoming quite popular among the casual Sonic crowd. I wonder why? Is it wrong for me to call him a wannabe-Enerjak without the godlike power?

Probably because there's certain big-name Sonic fans who are huge fans of Fini so it sort of just trickles down. In any case, I'd consider him a bit different than Enerjak. Whereas Enerjak wants to reshape the world into a utopia for echidnas in his image, Finitevus just wants everything to burn so the next evolutionary step can redo things better. Of course, this depends on the version of Enerjak.

Which ties into my unpopular (maybe) opinion, Knuxjak was my favorite incarnation of Enerjak. Whether it was in the old Primeverse or the Dark universe, he made for a really interesting character. I felt like Dmitri maybe had the potential to be interesting as Enerjak, but it was never fully explored.

Also ants. I mean what was that even about.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby Specs64z » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:31 pm

MetaL Overlord wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:
MetaL Overlord wrote:And Roger Craig Smith is the best Sonic Voice, he's ever had. He sounds like an actual Person, for the very first time in about 20 years

Yes. This. Thank you.

You're welcome. I cannot really grasp the the Need of having mediocore (Ryan Drummond) or just plain awful Voice Actors(Jason Griffith) to return. Let's face it. Roger Craig Smith has a fantastic vocal Range and can make Sonic act believably. When I watch Sonic Boom , I feel that those Antromorphic Creatures are actually real People because of the incredible good voice Work.

I mean, Griffith had his moments, but I'll agree he had pretty poor quality voicing overall. Especially in Shadow... it's pretty gross. He also had the unfortunate opportunity to role of in some of the worst written Sonic games ever, so I feel like his ultimate potential may have never been reached (well, except parts of satbk. That ending especially was really good). I thought Drummond actually did a pretty darn good job, especially for a game in 2001. I still say he had and always will have the best Sonic voice. He just had tons of energy, and sounded like he was just having a good time. I read the comics (in my head, of course) with the character voices, and Drummond is almost always how I read Sonic. As you all know by now, I'm not exactly a huge fan of the writing as of late, so that has likely skewed how I view Smith as Sonic, but I really disliked how Sonic sounded in Colors. Just, ugh. Games after Colors have been kinda meh for Smith in my opinion. He does a fantastic job, and he has energy, but I just don't really know what to think about it other than it's just not how I imagine Sonic would sound. That said, I actually really like and can't imagine boom Sonic being anything less than Smith's take on it.
Specs64z
BumbleFan

Postby Mobotropolis » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:25 pm

Is it wrong for me to call him a wannabe-Enerjak without the godlike power?

That ... wasn't who Finitevus was at all.

He didn't want to enslave the world. He wanted to watch it burn.

One thing to say, though, is that the " Rival " characters of the most popular characters in the franchise tend to be extremely popular. So Shadow, Silver, and Knuckles are popular because they can be seen as rivals to Sonic. Finitevus and Scourge became very popular very quickly for becoming foils to Knuckles and Sonic respectively. Shoot, even Geoffrey was getting some fans for standing opposite Sonic and Silver during his last arch.

Even though Thrash seemed to be created for that role he never really got a chance to realize it before going poof. The arch he debuted in ended with a big stupid fight between Knuckles and Finitevus so ...
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:06 pm

the thing about Griffith is that I didnt think he was a good Sonic (too mellow for the part) or a good Jet (despite being the first Jet, his replacement doesnt sound like 4kidz Usopp), and while he wasnt necessarily bad as Shadow, I preferred Humphreys, so despite having 3 roles there wasnt a single one where I would actually want Griffith. for Sonic, I like Smith and Drummond about even
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Xabin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:38 pm

Mobotropolis wrote:
Is it wrong for me to call him a wannabe-Enerjak without the godlike power?

That ... wasn't who Finitevus was at all.

He didn't want to enslave the world. He wanted to watch it burn.

One thing to say, though, is that the " Rival " characters of the most popular characters in the franchise tend to be extremely popular. So Shadow, Silver, and Knuckles are popular because they can be seen as rivals to Sonic. Finitevus and Scourge became very popular very quickly for becoming foils to Knuckles and Sonic respectively. Shoot, even Geoffrey was getting some fans for standing opposite Sonic and Silver during his last arch.

Even though Thrash seemed to be created for that role he never really got a chance to realize it before going poof. The arch he debuted in ended with a big stupid fight between Knuckles and Finitevus so ...

He got transformed in a similar way to Dimitri!Enerjak, he has similar powers, and destroying everything so that the "superior race" that emerges from it can thrive isn't that much of a Darwinian excuse than enslaving the world so that the "superior" Echidnas can rule. I see no real difference between the two, except their design, honestly.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby The KKM » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:08 pm

Dimitri had warp rings?

Also their personalities should count for something here, no?
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Mobotropolis » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:21 pm

I see no real difference between the two, except their design, honestly.

So I guess if you ignore that they had different goals, philosophies, and personalities they were exactly the same?

Alrighty then. :P

You may think that it's a minor difference but it really does matter. Just look at Sonic, Scourge, and Shadow. All three share about 90% of their skill-set, but are very different from one another.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Xabin » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:18 am

I don't see much difference between the philosophy of "Conquer the world so the superior Echidna species rule" and "Burn everything so that the superior species that remains rule"; different methods, but similar madnesses. They're both basically Godwin Darwinists wanting what they believe to be the superior species to be on top.

As for their personality... besides Finitevus being more subdued than Dimitri-Jak's cackling, I don't remember either of their personalities that much, which I guess shows just how vapid they are as characters to me. And need I remind you that their origins are pretty much the same, including their reasoning behind their actions? Sorry, but to me, Finitevus is just a more methodical copy of Enerjak.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby DudestofGuys » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:29 am

Xabin wrote:And need I remind you that their origins are pretty much the same, including their reasoning behind their actions?

Dimitri essentially wrote:My name's Dimitri the Echidna, and I'm a scientist. I've been working with my brother to find a way to anchor the floating island we live on. Our governors canned my work, so I tried to do it on my own and went mad with power was possessed by an ancient ghost. I decided to enslave my people and become this planet's god-emperor.

Finitevus essentially wrote:My name's [REDACTED] Finitevus, and I'm a scientist. I've been working under Gala-Na and the rest of the Albion Council for some time, and during my most recent assignment I was tasked with neutralizing a super powered being. Something went wrong in the process, and I was overcome with negatively charged energies. My mindset changed, and I plan to lay waste to this disgusting world and see what rises from the ashes.

I mean, I guess they were both Echidnas and scientists. And they're evil. And Chaos Emeralds factored in somewhere.

That's fair, I suppose. Kinda like how Amy is just a copy of Sonic, since she's an unnaturally fast and colorful hedgehog who's a good guy, fights Eggman and has snazzy red shoes.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby ToaArcan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:13 am

Question: How the heck did Finitevus ever get minions? I can see why Scourge would work for him, since he's from another world and has displayed an even worse level of "Everybody @#$% dies!" (Finitevus wants to wipe out all intelligent life, Scourge decides to commit double-planetcide once he gets the power to do so in 196). But most of his other minions have a vested interest in Mobius not getting scorched. They're typically mercs, and I know that Frog's insane, Drago was a moron, and evil!Fiona's not winning any awards for intelligence, but surely the rest of them can figure out that working for the guy who wants to kill everyone is going to leave them a little short on work.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby DudestofGuys » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:45 am

Yeah, and don't they realize that while merc work nets them a profit in the short term, eventually they'll be busted and lose it all? It's just so illogical to commit crime!

Pretty much everyone except Fiona and Sleuth (& Knuckles) underestimates Fini because everything he says and does is completely ridiculous. If you're trying to say they're incorrect to assume they can get away with this...yeah? They're the villains in a kids' book, they're SUPPOSED to be wrong about things. They don't know Fini the same way you do because they don't read the script, and they aren't perfect because that would make them extremely boring.

And by the way, if you're gonna keep doing that thing where you separate Fiona into different characters because her arc doesn't fit your head canon of how she works, can you at least call them Fiona and "good!Fiona"? You may prefer the latter one, but her personality from ~131-159 is the outlier across the character's appearances.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby Mobotropolis » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:14 am

Mobius is full of cardboard prisons.

It took Sonic maybe five minutes to escape the two times he was seriously taken into custody. Nack demonstrated that he could literally escape at any point during almost year-long imprisonment. Having bars wide enough for the average adult mobian to squeeze through seems like a critical design flaw.

Incidentally, Geoffrey was responsible for both of those. :roll:
Question: How the heck did Finitevus ever get minions?

He paid them.

Judging by Scourge and Fiona's reaction to seeing Enerjak Finitevus might have omitted some (read: the entirety) of his plans.

I guess if you want to ask how Finitevus got the money to pay these people that might be a valid question.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Xabin » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:04 pm

DudestofGuys wrote:
Xabin wrote:And need I remind you that their origins are pretty much the same, including their reasoning behind their actions?

Dimitri essentially wrote:My name's Dimitri the Echidna, and I'm a scientist. I've been working with my brother to find a way to anchor the floating island we live on. Our governors canned my work, so I tried to do it on my own and went mad with power was possessed by an ancient ghost. I decided to enslave my people and become this planet's god-emperor.

Finitevus essentially wrote:My name's [REDACTED] Finitevus, and I'm a scientist. I've been working under Gala-Na and the rest of the Albion Council for some time, and during my most recent assignment I was tasked with neutralizing a super powered being. Something went wrong in the process, and I was overcome with negatively charged energies. My mindset changed, and I plan to lay waste to this disgusting world and see what rises from the ashes.

I mean, I guess they were both Echidnas and scientists. And they're evil. And Chaos Emeralds factored in somewhere.

That's fair, I suppose. Kinda like how Amy is just a copy of Sonic, since she's an unnaturally fast and colorful hedgehog who's a good guy, fights Eggman and has snazzy red shoes.

Same could be said of any recolored character that is similar to a main character in the franchise; I've heard plenty of arguments over how Trevor Burrows is similar to Knuckles and Thrash in their general design and powers. People are just that generalized with stuff like this.

For me, the differences between Enerjak and FInitevus is the differences between Sonic and Shadow, ie. too trivial to really consider. Yeah, they might have slightly different agendas and personalities, but when you get down to the fundamentals of them, they're really not any different from each other. The only real difference I see is that Finitevus has the warp rings and an arguably better design than Enerjak does.

And please note, I don't buy into the whole "there were multiple Enerjaks before Dimitri" theory; that seems contrived and unsubstantiated to me. I'd rather believe that, instead of a "ghost" that possesses those with an overdose of Chaos Energy in them, they're just corrupted echidnas made that way through the overdose of Chaos energy, and nothing truly "mystical" about them.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby The Shadow Imperator » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:26 pm

Xabin wrote:And please note, I don't buy into the whole "there were multiple Enerjaks before Dimitri" theory; that seems contrived and unsubstantiated to me. I'd rather believe that, instead of a "ghost" that possesses those with an overdose of Chaos Energy in them, they're just corrupted echidnas made that way through the overdose of Chaos energy, and nothing truly "mystical" about them.

It's not a theory. It's canon.
The Shadow Imperator
BumbleFan

Postby Mobotropolis » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:28 pm

You seem to completely disregard anything that inconveniences your headcanon.

Even things that are actually canon.

I can respect that, and have made note not to waste my time in the future. :P
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius