Unpopular Sonic Opinions

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Unpopular Sonic Opinions

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Mon May 19, 2014 11:36 am

Okay first this is a flame free zone this is just a place for people to share their less than popular opinions on Sonic Games Cartoons and Comics.

Comics

-I think a reboot's been needed for a long time. The plot of the comics has been highly incoherent for years and I also hoped the first Genesis Wave had altered Reality permanently.

-Which leads me to my second opinion. Sonic Genesis is awesome. Yeah it reads like a saturday morning cartoon and the plot is fairly light but honestly I think that makes it the perfect anniversary story. The Games had very light story and not everything needs to be the biggest most epic story the books ever seen.

-I despise The Iron Dominion arc. The pacing is horrible, Steven Butlers artwork is stiff and porportions are off (yes I know I used to defend him but in highnsight his arts just kind of bleh), There's the massive plot hole of Regina not thinking about controling Nicole until Snively mentions it and the best thing that happened in it was the character development of Monkey Kahn.

-While I love Ian's Sonic work I don't think it's the best work he's ever done. To me that would be New Crusaders with a close second being Mega Man.

Games

-I don't think Shadow The Hedgehog is all that bad. It's not great but people hold iit to the standereds of a Sonic game when it's not trying to be one. It was trying to be something different and I feel if it had been streamlined a little more it could have been really good.

-I don't hate the 4Kids voice actors. I think that a lot of them were major steps up from the SA-Heroes voice actors who sounded like they were just reading the script instead of acting. Rouge's was awful though.

Cartoons

-Sonic X isn't that bad. There is some spotlight stealing by Chris but I don't think it's anywhere near that bad. I feel like when they have a better team at TMS working on it the animation is fantastic and that after season 1 the show gets really good. I think the Japanese version is a thousand times better though.

-AoSTH is the best Sonic Cartoon and SatAM is overrated. (But everyone already knew this one)
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Re: Unpopular Sonic Opinions

Postby TheFatPanda » Mon May 19, 2014 11:49 am

Comics
-I loved Sonic Genesis. It was a fun and fitting story to celebrate the 20th anniversary, plus it gives a feeling of suspence as you read. But you know what makes the story most poignant to me? The fact that Sonic and co. are going about this new reality as if nothing is amiss, completely unaware of the bigger picture that has taken shape right under their noses.

-Endangered Species was still pretty good, despite the shake-up behind the scenes. Not as great as what it could've been of course, but considering that short timeframe it had to be changed in, I feel it still did it's best with what it was left with.

-I found "Darkest Storm" boring. Ian's main objective when he first arrived on the comic was to clean up Penders mess, but I sorta feel he tackled a bit too much in one go here. I honestly had no clue who Sir Connery was supposed to be, nor why I was supposed to care about his death. James Fry's art didn't help much either.

Games
-I enjoyed Sonic 06 because of the glitches. Mainly the ones you could exploit to do fun stuff with. I got a real kick out of going into areas that your not supposed to, and messing with the flow of a levels (I ain't playing as slow-butt Tails, let's infijump past the whale and speed to the gate switch).

-I loved Shadow the Hedgehog. I spent a lot of the Christmas holidays playing that game, playing every possible scenario. I didn't even mind the guns that much.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby QuantamEdge » Mon May 19, 2014 12:05 pm

-Like you guys said I have a big soft spot for Genesis. I'm actually surprised it's considered an unpopular Sonic opinion. The art was some of the best the comic's ever had (thanks Spaz and Tracy!) and the story might have been light yes, but it evoked everything the old Sonic games were about.

-I think the reboot is one of best things the comic has had. I'll admit I wasn't happy about it at first, but seeing how so much more Sonic-cy it feels compared to the last canon makes up for it. Plus it gave the comic more potential than it's had in a long time.

-Unlike many who find it bad, I actually love Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Robotnik and his cronies were comedy gold and though some will say it's a blatant Looney Tunes rip-off at its core is that such a bad thing?

-I found the change from original Sonic game VAs to 4Kids Vas a change for the better. Oh sure there were some bad moments, but Black Knight was when they were at their best I feel.

-Eclipse is actually one of my favourite characters that have come out of this reboot. I don't care how many people keep calling his design uncreative, he was one of the highlights of Shadow Fall.
QuantamEdge
BumbleKnight

Postby streetsonic13 » Mon May 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Games:

- Sonic Riders is better than the sequels. It took me a couple of days to figure it out why I wasn't beating the game correctly, it was because I didn't do the air tricks properly on ramps. Zero Gravity got on my nerves, though.

- Shadow the Hedgehog had some great ideas. The branching stories was one of the ideas that was supposed to be used in Sonic Adventure 2, although over 300 routes is too much. It just that it was trying to be dark and edgy to the crowd and well...

- Could Sega just accept other media characters already and add them in spin-offs?

- 4Kids actors: only Amy and Eggman were the best (They should've kept Lisa Ortiz for Amy. Cindy Robinson, while good, needs to be recast to another female character because the Minnie Mouse needs to go away, hire her whenever/if Russi Taylor (Minnie's VA) finished.)

Comics:

- Besides Spaz, I enjoyed Steven Butler's art during the Dark ages. Much more acceptable at the time. J. Axer and Dawn Best are right behind. (And yes, even the artwork for M25YL, and that included how he drew Julie-Su for fanservice).

- None of the characters were interesting (besides few of the Knuckles cast) at the time. Didn't care for Elias, Geoffrey and others. Most of the time, visualize these characters in a Sonic game gave me headaches.

- Reboot was definitely needed. If the drama didn't happened, some of the cast (Julie-Su reimagined as an example) would've returned.

Cartoons:

- SatAM is overrated. So is AoStH.

- Needs more Underground love (minus the musicals and necklaces).

- X would've been fine if they would've followed the pilot with Chris and Danny as major characters.
Last edited by streetsonic13 on Mon May 19, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
streetsonic13
BumbleCitizen

Postby Adamis » Mon May 19, 2014 12:11 pm

Games

- I like Sonic 06 a lot, especially the story (and no, I'm not offended by the kiss scene : it's a fairy tale kiss. Also think Jessica and Roger Rabbit)

- I love the Unleashed/ Generation boost gameplay. Best gameplay for Sonic IMO.

- I like Sonic Heroes too, despite some repetitiveness.

- Big the Cat is a wonderful character

Comics

- I like what I've seen so far in the reboot.

- I really love Sonic the Comic and its universe.

- Axer's art was overdetailed, stiff and lacking emotions. I'm not a fan of Butler's style either. But I want more Dubs !
Adamis
BumbleNoble

Postby Sonicpolo » Mon May 19, 2014 12:16 pm

Comics

-I don't care for most of Penders' Characters that are now scrapped from the comic. Most of them were generic echidnas and I don't even know half of who they are. Rob'O Hedge, Geoffrey, Elias and Sonic and Tails's parents are the only ones I care about.

-To me, Scourge is a overrated character. I can see why everyone likes him, but I find Shadow and Knuckles to be more interesting Rivals to Sonic than him.

-Mega Man is Ian's best work in Archie Comics.

Games

-Sonic 06 is a good game. It could of work if Sega didn't rush the game. The story isn't that bad and Silver is one of my favorite characters.

-I like Sonic Heroes. I've seen some negative feedback on this game, but I find it to be much better than SA1 and SA2

Cartoons

-I never did like Satam, Underground, and Aosth. Satam was too overrated, Aosth was... odd, and Underground wasn't that interesting to me. I'll might give Boom a chance. Sonic X is okay, but I like the OVA better.
Sonicpolo
BumbleCitizen

Postby TheFatPanda » Mon May 19, 2014 12:24 pm

Adamis wrote:- I like Sonic 06 a lot, especially the story (and no, I'm not offended by the kiss scene : it's a fairy tale kiss. Also think Jessica and Roger Rabbit)

Same here. I also didn't think Elise was that bad of a character either.

Adamis wrote:- Big the Cat is a wonderful character

That opinion's unpopular? Really?

Oh, also agree about the boost gameplay. I thought they made a huge mistake ditching it in LW.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby SamCyberCat » Mon May 19, 2014 12:30 pm

- I really like both Big the Cat and Cream the Rabbit as characters and hope to see more of them as part of the Freedom Fighters.

- Not so much an "unpopular" opinion as just one I've never seen anyone else have, but I think that Mobians (or whatever the new name for the species is) have shorter lifespans than humans do and also mature faster. So although Cream and Tails might seem to talk in a way that's a bit more advance than a human child of that age probably would, by their specie's standards that's normal. Well, other than Tails being a genius.

- I love the Sonic Genesis arc.

- Bartleby was my favourite character in Sonic Underground.

- While we're at it, I've always really liked Dulcy as well and hope to see her turn back up in the new universe eventually.
SamCyberCat
BumbleCitizen

Postby streetsonic13 » Mon May 19, 2014 12:32 pm

I forgot one:

- Sonic Drift 2 is way better than any other Sonic racing game! (People panned it because it felt it was a Mario Kart rip-off... yet it wasn't. Did Mario Kart even let players press the up button on the d-pad to use an item?)
streetsonic13
BumbleCitizen

Postby DanTheValencia » Mon May 19, 2014 12:43 pm

Apparently it isn't popular to believe that Mega Man is Ian's best work. So then I'm not the only who buys every issue but can't get myself to actually read them til months later? I've actually dropped that book on two different occasions but caught up (twice) for my collection's sake.

Unpopular opinions:
Treasure Team Tango bored me to tears.
Scourge's SU arc was also boring to me.
I wish Worlds Collide never happened.
I don't really find Omega all that funny. He's kind of becoming a one-trick pony to me. (in my OPINION).
The lightweight plot and aimlessness of this latest Knuckles/Chaotix arc has me in doubts.

All that being said, I love just about everything else. Go Ian Flynn!!! Go Sonic!!!
DanTheValencia
BumbleFan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Mon May 19, 2014 12:51 pm

I don't really get how Knuckles current potrayl is somehow a "Betrayl" of the character. Knuckles has always never been especially bright not even in Penders Knuckles comics.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby FoxsDumbSeriesMaker » Mon May 19, 2014 12:53 pm

Comics:

- I actually hated the Genesis arc, mostly because the hype for it was just too much. Even now, they keep advertising it like it was the best thing ever. In my opinion, Worlds Collide is much better. Edit: Now that I think about it, Genesis wasn't too bad. Not as bad as I thought, at least. Haha

- I liked the Iron Dominion arc, even if it was a little long and Steven Butler's artwork wasn't the best. Despite the pacing, it was a nice change of, er...pace, compared to Eggman always being the badguy. I wouldn't mind more stories were someone else was the main villain. Kinda like Naugus, but even then, Eggman was still having a huge impact on the story.

- I think Geoffrey is a really cool character. I also liked Drago, if only because he's a wolf and has a cool design. That, and I like to laugh at him. Also, Fiona is still one of my favorite characters, even after the Tails slap.

Games:

- I also liked Shadow the Hedgehog, and I think it would have been cool to get at least a couple more games based on his character, even if they didn't involve the Black Arms.

- I didn't mind the 4Kids actors much (I wouldn't mind Jason Griffith being the current voice for Shadow), but that voice company is kinda cheap compared to the current cast, which appears to have much more experience.

- I would like to see Chip come back in a future game. And Big. And Marine. Heck, throw Sonic Man in while their at it.

Shows:

- I liked Sonic X, but I can see its many flaws. Some people say the Japanese version is way better, but I also hear that it's not much better at the same time, so I'm not sure.

- I love both AoSTH and SatAM. In fact, I would even go as far to say that AoSTH is much funnier than most cartoons today.
FoxsDumbSeriesMaker
BumbleCitizen

Postby therealfalconpawnch7 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:16 pm

Comics:

*I don't actually mind the Image Crossover. It's not the best thing ever, but it could have been worse.

*I don't like Genesis. Mostly because it felt stretched out longer than it needed to be at times, and squished thin at other times.

*I prefer the RtAI outfit that Lien-Da wore to any other outfit if only because of the Snake arm band giving me an excuse to make a Whitesnake joke.

*I like the Chaos Knuckles saga.

Games:

*I Think Big was a nice breather in Sonic Adventure.

*I prefer Gamma over Emerl

*I think Shadow and Sonic are over-rated.

*Knuckles Chaotix is my favorite game.

*I think Amy showed competent character development in the Adventure games, and was the best developed character in those games.

*I actually like the Werehog gameplay.

*I think the Half-Pipe from Sonic 2 is the best Special Stage in the franchise.
therealfalconpawnch7
BumbleKnight

Postby SonicSoul » Mon May 19, 2014 1:23 pm

No TV show or comic-related ones come to mind so I'll just keep this games-only:

-I didn't mind the 4Kids voice actors. To me they only got better overtime especially Griffth as Sonic.

-I think the Storybook games are underrated for their stories. They're right up there with Unleashed and Lost World in terms of balancing light and dark tones. They also have perhaps the most underrated villains in the series.

-I think the Deadly Six were good villains and characters. They were stereotypical sure, but then again, every Sonic character before is a stereotype to a degree, so they fit right in. Plus, their dialogue with Sonic and with each other was admittedly amusing.

-I like the Babylon Rogues. They may be considered 'meaner' versions of the main trio, but I like their dynamic and how they're a dysfunctional family at times. I even admire how Jet got some subtle development throughout the series, like his respect for Sonic as a rival.

-I like the Werehog's design.

-I don't think Elise is the worst character ever. Like everyone else she was just another victim of 06's bad writing.

-I like it when Knuckles is played up as a comic relief character as well as serious, but only as long as it's not over-exaggerated. Portrayals like in Chronicles he had just comes off as boring to me. Like they're trying to make him act more like Shadow minus the angst. It's okay to give him fallible moments without flanderizing his flaws to make it seem like he's the complete goofball of the group.

-I thought Eggman's "mincemeat" line in Tail's story of SA1 was more stupidly funny than menacing. Maybe it's how Deem Bristow says it, but I can't help but chuckle a little every time I hear it.

-I hate Eggman Nega. Not only does he make Shadow look better as a 'recolor' but his entire presence and dialogue just reeks of a pathetic attempt to make Eggman look like the lesser of two evils.
Last edited by SonicSoul on Mon May 19, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby TheFatPanda » Mon May 19, 2014 1:25 pm

This may come off as just plain whack to some:

- Despite their intimidating and unfriendly designs, I actually think Thrash and Drago are...kinda cute :P
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius