Unpopular Sonic Opinions

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Unpopular Sonic Opinions

Postby Mobotropolis » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:26 am

I think she was a Red Panda and that the species was changed because that was kind of ambiguous.

Disregarding the tail she looked like any other fox.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby ToaArcan » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:19 am

Got to love the logic there.

"Not sure if she's a red panda or a tiger..."
"The only solution is to make her a fox."
"GENIUS!"
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby ShadowBat20 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:22 am

ToaArcan wrote:I suppose I'll make one last post, because I've been discussing this with friends on Skype, and it's quite an interesting one: What the heck was up with Li Moon?

This is Li Moon is she was introduced in Issue 60:

Here we can see that she has small cat ears, brown eyes, and a very obvious feline tail. Also, her grandfather is a lion, and interbreeding between lions and tigers is a relatively well-known thing.

And yet, when she returns in SU13, she's a younger Fiona with a different haircut. Her eyes, ears, and her entire species have changed for... what reason, exactly? I mean seriously, what was the point in changing a character's species, especially if the result is her looking like a clone of another character?

Huh. Never noticed that. Always did kind of wonder at the "lion as her grandpa" thing...though, in hindsight, if a hedgehog and a squirrel/chipmunk can have kids, I suppose a lion and a fox could too.
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:33 am

Maybe it's because she's drawn by a different artist. Seriously Artists have different takes on characters all the time.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Azul » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:30 pm

ToaArcan wrote:They could've given Tails the googly eyes without changing her species, though. Or does he only go for people that look like Fiona now?

Dang, Fiona really screwed up Tails in the head, huh? All jokes aside, I think it'd be super lame if they changed her species just to give Tails some eye candy. It's not like inter-species romance isn't a thing.

SonicBlueRanger wrote:Maybe it's because she's drawn by a different artist. Seriously Artists have different takes on characters all the time.

Myabe. Or it could be due to the overall ambiguity in her design intial altogether. She wasn't the only character whose species has allegedly changed. According to the letters section of issue 71, Regina from the pre-boot was a badger. Not that it was obvious or anything.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:33 pm

dont forget Feist
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby ToaArcan » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:11 pm

Feist might be a able to change his appearance, since he's a weird sort of god-thing.

Regina being changed to human didn't really change her appearance, that was just a really weird thing.

Li Moon's design actually changed, to something that wasn't even one of the original suggestions.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby Tsurugi » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:35 pm

I'm guessing they only saw the main body for Li Moon and assumed she was a regular fox like Tails when doing the arc. How they missed the tail? Well, you got me on that one *shrug*
Tsurugi
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:54 pm

It's weird because we know plenty of characters with similar looks but different species (looking at Erma here, although she was more of a clone under Ian's time than Angelo's. Ironic), so the idea that they would look at that and say "Oh, she looks a bit like Fiona, let's make her a fox!" is a bit weird for me to accept.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby akessel92 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:57 pm

And plus she was secondary character from an older issue that hardly ever got mentioned until the iron dominion, so I guess most people wouldn't take notice.

Alright I got a bombshell of one. Mogul and finitevus are overrated villains. I mean for mogul he had potential for being an nigh immortal character but it's not until later issues that was ever touched upon nor was there hardly a conflict within his order that would have made him more intresting. I wish there was a time he and Naugus could have put up their magic dukes and fight.

As for fini well, I just dislike because everyone else thinks he's a better villain then Eggman/Robotnik. I mean buttnik may not do good at his job but what villain has. I guess I just dislike fini because he's too good of a villain.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby ToaArcan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:05 am

MOgul had a lot of potential, but he got nerfed badly in Ian's run. I think the biggest example is 173, where he gets bonked on the head by a hoverbike and OHKO'd. THough to be honest, if "Drop a hoverbike on them" became a go-to plan for world-ending villains, that might be pretty amusing, but TBH, 173 and 174 were mainly "Let's make the FF look awesome and happy before we blow them all to @#$% next arc!" Same reason that Sonic and Sally got together in 222: To make Sally's looming two years as a robot zombie even sadder.

He did manage to pull off a pretty good scheme when he escaped... and then he became a giant plot roadblock. Whether it was the dumb "Well, he fairly obviously kidnapped Sonic, this place is full of villains, he's an escaped convict, and there's our Chaos Emerald sitting in the middle of his chest, but we're not going to arrest him even though we totally could and should", or the fact that any plot involving the Chaos Emeralds would necessitate dealing with him somehow, it didn't strike me as a good idea.

As for Finitevus, the comics treated him as a Knuckles villain at a point where Knuckles doesn't have his own series and it wasn't easy to work him into every story. THe type of villain that he is makes him very tough to defeat, what with him being more of a schemer than an active threat. But you can turn some of his quirks against him: His desire to destroy everything can make it hard for others to work with him. After all, he's not exactly subtle, so anyone with two brain cells to rub together should be able to suss out that it's probably a bad thing if he succeeds.

In the case of both characters, I feel like it was probably to try and avoid them taking the villain spotlight from Eggman and the recolour.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby Specs64z » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:44 pm

This is where my posting started, so it seemed fitting to make what will likely be my last post right here. Here are my top ten Sonic games (there is likely enough unpopular-ness for it to count as such).
1. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
2. Sonic Colors
3. Sonic 3 and Knuckles
4. Sonic 2
5. Sonic and the Black Knight
6. Sonic Adventure DX
7. Shadow the Hedgehog
8. Sonic Heroes
9. Sonic Unleashed
10. Sonic CD

A la fin, je n'ai pas beaucoup de chose que je voudrais dire. A la fin je dis simplement: <<Au revoir, mes amis.>> ^_^
(At the end, I don't have much I would like to say. At the end, I simply say: "goodbye, my friends")
*My awesome cape fluttering in the gentle breeze, I stare at the sunset from the cliff that overlooks a wide, flowing river with lush, green flora all around the banks. I am ready for a new beginning to be birthed from the ashes.*
BumbleKing. I bid you adieu.
Specs64z
BumbleFan

Postby Mobotropolis » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:07 am

Well. This is it.

Just going to shoot off my opinions at this point.

- Penders version of XYL was better than Ian's.

- Team Hooligan is terrible. They're the Team Rocket of Archie Sonic.

- The Traitor Subplot was a huge waste of time and did not have a satisfying resolution.

- Scourge didn't really need a team to function. I was disappointed when he took in the Destructix.

- The Freedom Fighters possibily being dissolved was one of the most interesting things to happen to the Status Quo in a long time. The Team Fighters Arch was handled poorly, but I saw potential in a smaller group of world travelers.

- Sonic/Sally and Bunnie/Antoine were two things I didn't think the book needed. I'd rather they all just be friends.

- I wish Team Dark wasn't affiliated with GUN. Maybe then they would interact with Sonic/the Freedom Fighters more instead of being siloed in their own little world.

- Lara-Le is my favorite mom in the books. Then Alicia Acorn. I didn't like any of the fathers. Rosemary Prower was a borderline antagonist. I would have loved for Tails to have had a chance to disown her for being so horrible.

- I like Eggman more when he is out-of-focus and not actively trying to antagonize Sonic/The Freedom Fighters. His attack during The Eggman Empire was the best in the series because I could believe that no one saw it coming. Instead I'd like for Sonic and Friends to fight other threats and have other conflicts outside of the Empire.

- Rotor returning to the Freedom Fighters was probably the worst thing to happen to his character.
Spoiler: show
Assuming that #12 is Snively that is also the worse thing to happen to his character.

Snively worked so hard to get free of Eggman and here he is again. A shame. A sham.

And finally ... Archie Sonic is some of the best that Sonic has to offer, especially these days. I've read almost every issue of the book and have played almost every Sonic game -- and feel like this defines Sonic more for me than the games. I love this. Though the book has had its ups and downs it's mostly been good and readable -- and it just keeps getting better. I complained a lot, but that's only because I deeply cared about the book and its future.

As an artist myself I know that there's no such thing as " perfect " and that we are all constantly trying to improve. To make it better. To fix past mistakes. To please ourselves and others. I hope that the creatives both past and present continue to improve their craft and put out great things. I know sometimes that's not easy, but keep at it! :mrgreen:
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius