Bunnie's design at the end of SU#49

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Bunnie's design at the end of SU#49

Postby Mobotropolis » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:07 pm

It was close, but I figured she wasn't completely done yet or else she wouldn't still be there.

But Rotor's not so easily explainable, is he?

Started working out. Skipped leg day.

... but in all seriousness his change physique might be him becoming more active in his Iron Rotor Suit.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Tracy Yardley! » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:45 pm

Hey all. I was just procrastinating for a few minutes and came across this, so I thought I'd show the concept drawings I had done for Bunnie.

Keep in mind these were not set in stone at all. Even though I had drawn her with the hair in that silhouette, we still had not nailed her design down. I went with a more "realistic" robotics design where we could see joints and have a more anatomical foot which is how I tend to go with robots. However, I'm very glad they went with the design they have now. Its MUCH better imo, and I think all the new redesigns are really fantastic.

Tracy Yardley!
PROFESSIONAL

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:24 am

Ooh, going to miss the shoulder mount for options.

...or does the new design have that?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby GentlemanX » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:19 am

While I like the design they went with for the limbs, I think Bunnie looks better with the shorter hair here. I still don't care much for the pony tail.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby Toby » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:14 am

Rotor's design was already starting to be altered in the issue he left the council.
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby lalalei2001 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:33 am

I really like those robot limbs and the hair! It looks like a mix of her old designs and the new one.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Mobotropolis » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:10 am

I kind of like the limls in the first prototype more. Mainly the detail. I can see how they can be a problem for some artists to draw, though.

Not a big fan of the hair in either version. The first looks too much like Cream and the second I feel is a few inches too long. A pony tail can work if it was a more manageable length. Not just for aesthetic reasons for practical ones. Long hair to a female fighter can be a bit of a hindrance.

I was kind of hoping -
Spoiler: show
That Bunnie would change her hairstyle periodically since liked being a hairdresser.

Head-canon sort of explained Bunnie's inconsiderate style as her freshening up her appearance.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby TheFatPanda » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:50 am

Really cool looking concepts there Tracey :)

So had the original continuity remained, would that have been the design we got or would it have eventually evolved into what we have now?

Also, DEL cybernetics?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby The KKM » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:55 am

TheFatPanda wrote:So had the original continuity remained, would that have been the design we got or would it have eventually evolved into what we have now?

Ian Flynn wrote:The design hadn't been finalized by that point, but it would've been what we ended up with anyway.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby linebyline » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:54 pm

Toby wrote:I figure the redesigns were going to happen one way or another, whether the reboot had happened or not.

Yeah. Ian came out and said that (I think it was on his deviantArt page) around the time Sally's design was revealed. This is back when Archie's lawyers had their heads buried under the sands of "Penders doesn't have a legal leg to stand on." (Because metaphors.) So it had nothing to do with the reboot; that just provided a cleaner way of accomplishing it.

Meliden wrote:Ian wouldn't know, but I'd wager it was simply due to the comic staff not being bothered about adapting the comic to fit the game style. Heck, even the SEGA characters were handled in a clunky manner (some just changed over because it wasn't a big deal, Sonic and Amy got contrived stories to explain the changes away when they could have just changed their clothing a bit and called it a day), it would have likely turned out a nightmare if they did the same with the rest of the cast with that mentality.

I don't know why they didn't just have the whole Super Emerald thing end with a big flash of light that altered everyone who needed a redesign.

Yes, it would have been a stupid, heavy-handed cheat, but it would have been hard to do worse than what they actually went with.

Tracy Yardley! wrote:[pictures]

You are my hero. Honestly, while I'm not a huge fan of the backpack, I otherwise strongly prefer these designs.

Bunnie's current arm just looks like metal pipes. I don't really like that look. The noodle-limbs work for the organic characters, but not so much for robots. There's a reason Metal Sonic doesn't have them even though Sonic does. Bunnie's shoulder especially looks wrong to me; it seems...I dunno, like it's just there, rather than actually connected to her torso. Come to think of it, her elbow doesn't look like a real joint, either--more like two cylinders that just happen to abut one another. Meanwhile, her hand is very detailed and, for lack of a better word, robot-y, which looks rather jarring next to the unadorned cylinders of her arm.

I admit these designs could use some simplifying, because they do need to look like they come from the same universe as the noodle-arms (including the one attached to Bunnie's other shoulder!) but the final design took that too far, in my opinion.

I definitely want to know what would have happened with the deroboticized-Bunnie subplot, but I suppose that will have to wait for Lost Hedgehog Tales.
linebyline
BumbleKnight

Postby Meliden » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:01 pm

linebyline wrote:I don't know why they didn't just have the whole Super Emerald thing end with a big flash of light that altered everyone who needed a redesign.

Yes, it would have been a stupid, heavy-handed cheat, but it would have been hard to do worse than what they actually went with.

To be fair, all the characters that needed redesigns didn't have redesigns at the time of Sonic Adventure. Then you'd have weird scenario of the Super Emerald changing Sonic, Amy, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman in one go, then three of the Chaotix waking up one morning months later and finding out the Super Emerald had a delayed reaction to them because it was bone idle.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:23 pm

Meliden wrote:
linebyline wrote:I don't know why they didn't just have the whole Super Emerald thing end with a big flash of light that altered everyone who needed a redesign.

To be fair, all the characters that needed redesigns didn't have redesigns at the time of Sonic Adventure. Then you'd have weird scenario of the Super Emerald changing Sonic, Amy, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman in one go, then three of the Chaotix waking up one morning months later and finding out the Super Emerald had a delayed reaction to them because it was bone idle.

Of those design changes, though, Vector was the only truly drastic change. Espio and Charmy changed their clothes, and anything else could be chalked up to stylistic differences.

As for Vector... I think I got a line in there that Mighty had been training him so he bulked up? I can't remember.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby The Shadow Emperor » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:33 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:As for Vector... I think I got a line in there that Mighty had been training him so he bulked up? I can't remember.

Yep, it's stated by Mighty in #212 and again in the Encyclopedia.
The Shadow Emperor

Postby TheFatPanda » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:24 pm

And even then you still got the continuity error: he was trained during Sonic's year in space, so why do we have lanky Vector in "Home" and then suddenly turns buff out of nowhere in "Home: Epilogue"?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Toby » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:29 pm

The Echidnas/Bem/Nate Morgan did it.
Toby
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius