The S-ports Thread: Re-Releases and Ports of Sonic Games

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic 2 re-release & Sonic ASRT for iOS & other devices

Postby The KKM » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:43 pm

Because they don't feel like it? What's that to do with Taxman's ability to do original games or not?
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:30 pm

I think we can sum u the Sonic 3 situation from a short Futurama quote, with one or two words added.

Taxman: Do you want some free money?
Sega: Oh my, no.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby The KKM » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:23 am

Yes, ignore all the evidence pointing to legal hurdles, it's just SEGA being dolts.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Daisetsu » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:38 am

Yeah, this isn't a simple case of SEGA not wanting to do something. People seem to forget that Michael Jackson actually did work on this game (or at least all evidence points towards that being the case).

So, Sonic Jam aside (still confused how they got with that), SEGA is legally restricted from re-releasing this Sonic 3.
Daisetsu
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:03 am

The KKM wrote:Yes, ignore all the evidence pointing to legal hurdles, it's just SEGA being dolts.

if there were legal hurdles, how come they've been able to put Sonic 3 (with all of its music intact) in many re-releases?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:13 am

Different circumstances, maybe? But one of creators has stated that there have been legal issues regarding getting the game remade.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Daisetsu » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:31 am

There's a difference between releasing a game that's been rebuilt with a new engine and releasing the exact same build of the game from 1994 through emulation. That's why I said "Sonic Jam aside."
Daisetsu
BumbleNoble

Postby The KKM » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:11 am

Daisetsu wrote:There's a difference between releasing a game that's been rebuilt with a new engine and releasing the exact same build of the game from 1994 through emulation. That's why I said "Sonic Jam aside."

This is likely the reason. Redistributing the same Sonic 3 program from 1994 is different from making a new Sonic 3 program, and the latter likely requires new licensing and whatnot.

Probably same reason there was next to no Sonic 3 material in Generations.

This would probably be solved by switching to porting the PC collection instead, but come on. You know that'd just result in massive outcry of "where's the music I like".
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Meliden » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:27 am

Is this a bump? Oh yes, a hefty one. But I feel people might want to see this, even if I'm not a supporter myself.

Stealth has put forward a new message today (or recently anyway). To summarise; the Sonic 3 campaign should be put on ice for now.

Ok, so, here's a thing. Something has come up that may or may not have relevant repercussions, and I think that it would be appropriate to ask you to put this campaign on hold, or at least avoid any more press for the time-being, by which I mean not only major press sites and such, but also popular youtube users, etc. It's not really something I can talk about, but it seems that pushing the issue further right now would be a bad idea

Don't get the wrong idea; nothing has changed regarding Sonic 3's status - there has been no approval, we have done and are doing no more work, and, to my knowledge, nothing has happened such that the remaster seems any more or any less likely to be approved

Still, please stand by
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby squeakyboots13 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:22 am

In other news, Sonic 2 is coming to the 3DS in September.

If only it were a port of the Taxman version but I already know it won't be so I don't really care about this right now.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby lalalei2001 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:51 pm

Awesome! I wonder if Sonic 3-Knuckles will also be there. or non-Sonic games too!
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Re: The S-ports Thread: Re-Releases and Ports of Sonic Games

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:04 pm

Updated the thread title to be a little more evergreen.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:15 am

I'm kind of confused about what exactly it is that makes the Taxman versions of the game different (other than obvious added features). like, on Steam, you can get the Taxman version of Sonic CD (which is great if for no other reason than being able to select the JP soundtrack), but you only get emulated Sonic 1 and 2. why is the Taxman version not on Steam? and what difference does it make if Taxman were to make Sonic 3 or not if you can already get the normal Sonic 3 on Steam? I dunno

but really, I'm less interested in the Taxman stuff and more curious as to why Sonic the Fighters isnt on Steam. like, it's already been remastered/ported to consoles, so it's not like it would be any extra work to put it on Steam. I got NiGHTS and Jet Set Radio and so on on there, give us non-console havers the Fighters already!
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby squeakyboots13 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:35 pm

AllHailShadow wrote:I'm kind of confused about what exactly it is that makes the Taxman versions of the game different (other than obvious added features).

The Taxman versions were remade from the ground up on a brand new engine and because of this, they run slightly more fluidly than the original versions, can be displayed in a 16:9 aspect ratio, and have many minor improvements and bug fixes. The two main people working on these ports are classic Sonic fans and want them to be as faithful to the original as possible.

AllHailShadow wrote:like, on Steam, you can get the Taxman version of Sonic CD (which is great if for no other reason than being able to select the JP soundtrack), but you only get emulated Sonic 1 and 2. why is the Taxman version not on Steam?

No official reason has been given but it has been speculated that it was because of the deal Sega had with Nintendo a few years back where the next three Sonic games had to be made exclusively for Nintendo systems. Of course, this should no longer apply as Nintendo has gotten their three Sonic games since then (Lost World, Sochi Olympics, and Boom) nor does this explain why they couldn't just release Wii U or 3DS versions. (The Sonic 1 and 2 releases on 3DS are different ports entirely.) Sonic CD's remake and console releases were also made primarily to promote Sonic 4: Episode II so that may play a factor somewhere.

AllHailShadow wrote:and what difference does it make if Taxman were to make Sonic 3 or not if you can already get the normal Sonic 3 on Steam? I dunno

Because a Taxman Sonic 3 would have:
-16:9 resolution
-Smoother graphics on the special stages
-Fix minor graphical glitches or inconsistencies that were in the original game
-Return certain elements from the separate games that were removed when combined with the other. (Knuckles' opening cutscene in Sonic & Knuckles and Launch Base Zone's final boss come to mind.)
-Possibility of the two player stages becoming their own full levels.
-Possibility of new special stages featuring new sphere colors.
-Better quality sound effects and music as most of the emulated releases don't have proper sound emulation.
-There isn't any other version of Sonic 3 on mobile already.
-Maybe some of the other features Tiddles added in his Sonic 3 Complete hack though that may just be wishful thinking.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:21 pm

Actually, Stealthtax have said that the Nintendo deal is why Sonic 1 and 2 aren't on consoles.

Edit: Well, half of why. The other half is that Sonic 1 and 2 have been ported so much already, which hurts when updating the console versions.
Meliden
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius