The S-ports Thread: Re-Releases and Ports of Sonic Games

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Sonic 2 re-release & Sonic ASRT for iOS & other devices

Postby Spinehog » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:59 pm

I hate re-buying games.. But getting new zones to play is so tempting.. :/
Spinehog
BumbleNoble

Postby Staf » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:18 pm

Spinehog wrote:I hate re-buying games.. But getting new zones to play is so tempting.. :/

There's a chance it will go on sale for 99 cents for some Christmas or New Years sale.
Staf
BumbleFan

Postby Spinehog » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:10 pm

Staf wrote:
Spinehog wrote:I hate re-buying games.. But getting new zones to play is so tempting.. :/

There's a chance it will go on sale for 99 cents for some Christmas or New Years sale.

If it does, I'm going to have to force myself to cough up the buck..
Spinehog
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:59 pm

Hidden Palace Zone is okay. Clever way to get there. Boss sucks pretty hard, though. Love having the new Badniks around; I hope we get the little dinosaur one in the comics and other games sometime. Can't place the music...

The trailers and such make it sound like there's more than one added level.

No Super Tails. =(

Debug code makes a sound to indicate it works, but I don't know how to actually use it upon doing that.

Still can't access Hidden Palace from the stage select. Super Sonic code works without needing the debug code, though.

I swear, it seems like making Tails fly/swim is a lot more difficult here. He doesn't seem to travel as far or as fast, and wears out before you can really make much use of it. Glad he can do it, but...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Daisetsu » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:13 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Can't place the music...

Mystic Cave 2 player.

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:The trailers and such make it sound like there's more than one added level.

Haven't watched the trailer yet, but it might mean the added multiplayer zones.

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:No Super Tails. =(

Super monitor in debug, my friend. Speaking of which...

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Debug code makes a sound to indicate it works, but I don't know how to actually use it upon doing that.

If it's like Sonic 1, tap the score.

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Still can't access Hidden Palace from the stage select.

Odd, I'm able to get to Hidden Palace through the level select... Well, you can always go back to it if you select your completed save file. So there's that.
Daisetsu
BumbleNoble

Postby squeakyboots13 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:19 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Still can't access Hidden Palace from the stage select.

I believe this is a bug that they're going to patch later.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:46 am

Tsk. Pity, that. Oh well, it's hardly the only one they've got... had some real doozies earlier.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Daisetsu » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:30 am

So... how about that secret Special Stage?

It has the twisting tube, just like S4E2 (either that, or 3D Blast). It's kinda hard.
Daisetsu
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:27 am

Forgive me for this mega-super bump which technically doesn't have any news, but I think you'd want to see this and it doesn't particularly fit in any other topic (and it's not worth making its own topic for at all).

Basically, the Sonic 2 port is looking like the last one for the classic trilogy, since Sonic 3 and Knuckles isn't looking likely. He even goes into detail about what he would have added if he was able to do it, so I don't think he's got his hopes up for being able to work on it in the future.

On the bright side, Whitehead himself seems to have plenty of stuff to be working on.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby squeakyboots13 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:47 am

Could we at least get Wii U ports of these games? That would be very, very nice.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby EthanEmerald » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:21 pm

Maybe Sega doesn't realize now much fans love S3&K? Maybe if a bunch of us write to Sega, they will more strongly consider it.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Meliden » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:58 pm

There's rights issues surrounding the music of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. If that's part of the reason why it won't be made, no amount of letters would do anything.

Besides, I'm sure SEGA are more than aware of how much the fans adore it given that more fans probably cite that as their fave than Sonic 2.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby PC the Hedgehog » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:03 pm

The fact that Sonic 1 and 2 are always the games in the classic trilogy that get all the love saddens me greatly. I find Sonic 3 (and Knuckles) to easily be better than both of them combined.
PC the Hedgehog
BumbleNoble

Postby EthanEmerald » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:54 pm

Meliden wrote:There's rights issues surrounding the music of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. If that's part of the reason why it won't be made, no amount of letters would do anything.

Well, that's not true either. IF music issues are what is what's holding back the project, Sega can simply license the music from the Michael Jackson estate. The same way Archie licenses Sonic properties from Sega.

Now, more likely, they may think that option is too expensive to be worthwhile. If that's the case, then pressure from their fans and customers can certainly make a difference.
EthanEmerald
BumbleKnight

Postby Matt7325 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:11 am

This makes me sad, S3&K is m legit favourite game of all time and I was looking forward to it getting the deluxe treatment.

Maybe one day. Sonic's 25th is not too far away, I'd love a huge collection (Mega Drive era through to Shadow, maybe?) to come out around the same time to celebrate.

I would have thought Sega had the rights to those songs given they hired MJ to write for them, but who knows. It hasn't seemed to impact on any ports/etc. in the past. Perhaps they're wary of the Jackson Estate claiming copyright and trying to publish The Sonik 'n' Nukles Chronicles.

At any rate, they could still use the (sadly inferior) tracks they were put together for the PC version.
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius