The S-ports Thread: Re-Releases and Ports of Sonic Games

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

The S-ports Thread: Re-Releases and Ports of Sonic Games

Postby kimplix » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:47 pm

SONIC 2 RE-RELEASE
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - This past May, Sonic fans were treated to an extraordinary free update to the original iOS version of Sonic The Hedgehog. As has been hinted at since, a similar treatment is being given to its sequel Sonic The Hedgehog 2. You can expect all the same enhancements from the remade original, like fantastic touch controls and a rock solid framerate.

SONIC & ASRT IOS
Transformed on iOS will feature a brand new World Tour mode designed for gaming on the go, and will include multiplayer both locally and online for up to 4 players. I tried out an early version of Transformed on the iPad and it seems right in line with 2011's iOS release in terms of handling and feel. A boost in visuals and a huge cast of Sega characters should make this latest iteration another great mobile kart racer, so be on the lookout for Transformed to hit the App Store this December.

Source: http://toucharcade.com/2013/10/21/sega- ... emastered/

Press Release for both Sonic 2 & ASRT (Android Confirmed): http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sega-reve ... 00564.html
kimplix
BumbleFan

Re: Sonic 2 re-release & Sonic ASRT for iOS & other devices

Postby Daisetsu » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Taxman wrote:I’m pretty limited in what I can mention about Sonic 2 right now, but when the Press Release says that the game runs widescreen at 60fps, that applies to all aspects of the game… wink wink, nudge nudge.

Those special stages are going to be beautiful and irritating at the same time.
Daisetsu
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:49 pm

Let me guess, no PC release again?

Did Sonic CD sell that badly on PC?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Daisetsu » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:04 pm

I highly doubt the Steam version sold bad, but who knows? (hint: only Valve and SEGA know) But look at it this way, the XBLA and PSN version haven't been announced either.
Daisetsu
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:19 pm

What? No info on Tails and Knuckles? I'm curious whether the former can fly in this one as a player character or not.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Meliden » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:21 pm

A little off the track of Sonic 2, but it looks like S3&K will not be re-released in the StealthTax way.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Big Al Son » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Seems that some of the Sonic games, especially superb ones, have been getting re-released on iOS and portable devices (Android). A lot of people do own either an iPhone or an Android smartphone due to them being multi-functionally then just a phone. It's cause of the young audience love the web and GAMES.

Sonic CD ended up being one of most well-reviewed games on the iPhone. So it gave Sega reason to venture to other devices then just the game machines.
Big Al Son
BumbleKnight

Postby GameBuddy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:43 pm

And it's cheaper.
GameBuddy
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:43 am

Meliden wrote:A little off the track of Sonic 2, but it looks like S3&K will not be re-released in the StealthTax way.

Where was this said?

Big Al Son wrote:Seems that some of the Sonic games, especially superb ones, have been getting re-released on iOS and portable devices (Android). A lot of people do own either an iPhone or an Android smartphone due to them being multi-functionally then just a phone. It's cause of the young audience love the web and GAMES.

Sonic CD ended up being one of most well-reviewed games on the iPhone. So it gave Sega reason to venture to other devices then just the game machines.

GameBuddy wrote:And it's cheaper.

All well and good, but since most of the work is done, why not re-release them on consoles?

Or just make a disc with all of them together. I'm already interested in rebuying them with the enhancements, and SEGA's never been shy about releasing collections, even back on the Genesis.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby kimplix » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:34 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:What? No info on Tails and Knuckles? I'm curious whether the former can fly in this one as a player character or not.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Hopefully, some info for Tails & Knuckles will be said for the re-released Sonic 2 game. I'll look out for that
kimplix
BumbleFan

Postby Daisetsu » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:41 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Where was this said?

Earlier this year, a SEGA official (I forget who) said that were currently no plans to release Sonic 3.

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:All well and good, but since most of the work is done, why not re-release them on consoles?

Sonic CD was sourced through another company for the XBLA, PSN and, for some reason, the Windows releases, so I assume the same would have to be done for Sonic 1 and 2. There's also speculation that SEGA is just waiting for the games to be bug-fixed many times over before releasing them on different platforms so they wouldn't have to pay for updates. Although, now that Microsoft removed the fee it takes to update an XBLA title, it kinda seems like that isn't the case...

kimplix wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:What? No info on Tails and Knuckles? I'm curious whether the former can fly in this one as a player character or not.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Hopefully, some info for Tails & Knuckles will be said for the re-released Sonic 2 game. I'll look out for that

Sonic 2 has (retroactive) native support for Knuckles and Sonic 1 2013 has flying Tails, so I can say with almost 100% certainty that Tails (flying and all) and Knuckles will be in Sonic 2 2013. If not, will then... I don't know what to say.
Daisetsu
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:29 am

Daisetsu wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Where was this said?

Earlier this year, a SEGA official (I forget who) said that were currently no plans to release Sonic 3.

On top of this, GeneHF (a Sonic Retro admin, one who has close ties to the StealthTax duo) has said that the troubles surrounding S3&K is more or less a rights issue.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Matt7325 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:37 am

It's a real pity, because if there's one thing that the Sonic fanbase would eat up, it'd be a 'S3&K: One Golden Ring To Rule Them All' edition.
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Postby Big Al Son » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:44 am

Yeah, the games would need to be reformatted for current and new-generation consoles and devices, when they get re-released, and that takes time. Sega always wanted their Sonic titles to reach a mass-audience, as we seen through the years with the TV cartoons and the comics, then just different devices and machines for the games. A multi-media franchise, which seems to be the norm now for big titles, Disney didn't except Pirate of the Caribbean to be a bigger franchise then what it is. It always boils down to a character.
Big Al Son
BumbleKnight

Postby squeakyboots13 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:20 am

Meliden wrote:On top of this, GeneHF (a Sonic Retro admin, one who has close ties to the StealthTax duo) has said that the troubles surrounding S3&K is more or less a rights issue.

Translation: Music licensing issues with the portion of the soundtrack Michael Jackson may have done.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius