The New Continuity Roll Call (updated to NEWEST issue)

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: The New Continuity Roll Call (updated to NEWEST issue)

Postby Damo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:50 am

Matt7325 wrote:For all we know Sega was exasperated (to put it mildly) after the Penders saga drama and demanded everything non-Sega was removed from the book as part of the reboot/cleanup.

That's an entirely plausible scenario. However, it would make more sense in that situation for them to deny usage of any characters not from the games. And if the reason they're allowing new characters is that it's okay in the case of writers currently working for Archie, then there's a few other characters created by authors who still work for Archie, who haven't shown up. If they do, I'll be somewhat more inclined to believe that explanation. A SEGA mandate is a plausible scenario, but I don't think it's more plausible than Archie just failing to secure the rights correctly. For years Archie told us (and its own staffers) that everything was good and legal in regards to the Penders situation, and it turned out in the end that was just not true, and that they'd been hoping to bluff their way through with a poor case. Given that they turned out not to have the necessary documents to prove ownership of Ken's creations, but had long claimed they had, I'm not inclined to believe they have everything in proper order when it comes to all the other old creators. It would be incredibly bad luck if the only old staffer to have holes in his file was also the one old staffer to give Archie trouble. And if it was just a matter of whether or not the characters could appear, I'd be inclined to grumble and move on (probably with some occasional grousing, to be upfront about it). With creator's rights on the table though, I don't think that people should just let sleeping dogs lie.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Matt7325 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:01 am

SEGA: "Archie, what the froot loops. This situation with - what was his name, Penders? - has been a real drag to deal with. We love the Sonic comic but we're a bit annoyed with you at the moment; we lease you the comic licence to promote Sonic for us, we don't wanna have to deal with crap like this."
Archie: "Yeah our bad, it's been an unpleasant situation for everyone involved. After Worlds Collide (plugplugplug) we're going to be dropping all of Penders' characters from the book."
SEGA: "We don't want this headache again, just stick to the game characters and get rid of the other random stuff."
Archie: "Oh mannn. Can't we keep the stuff that other people made? We have this awesome character called Bivalve, and a singing Mongoo-"
SEGA: "What? No. Just get rid of them."
Archie: "Well could we keep the SatAM characters at least? You own them, they're the most popular characters in the comic - after the game characters, of course! - and they've been in the comic since the start, so..."
SEGA: "Oh alright, if you must. At least try and make them look like Sonic characters though, will you? That fox soldier guy just looks weird."
Last edited by Matt7325 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Postby The KKM » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:02 am

I get (or think) the point you're trying to make of "we can speculate anything", but there's really nothing pointing out SEGA forcing the removal of characters and instead there's plenty pointing the opposite and letting characters stay so long as problematic elements of them were removed. This whole ordeal is very clearly mostly just between Archie and the writers.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Mobotropolis » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:45 am

Well ... I don't see much evidence pointing to " clearly ". This all just seems to be speculation on our part based on snippets we've seen both sides say. Those sides have given us conflicting information, by the way.

So much that I kind of doubt there's a concrete document laying around outline which characters are theirs to use and which ones are off the table. Just You can use this, you can't use that, and here's about a hundred other characters we're not really sure about so don't use them either. There may be at most five characters from Category C even remotely worth fighting over, but would it be worth it when they already lost the first case?

The book can survive even without them, you know.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:21 am

Gleaned from a discussion on a certain graphic novel series by a certain writer taking place on a certain floating island, it would appear that Athair is still up in the air, so to speak. He won't appear in that certain publication, to be sure, which means if Archie wants to, they could discuss Gallagher about it.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Damo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:44 pm

Axel T Rat wrote:I just had this thought after seeing that we now have aquatic Mobians. Since sea-life is now anthromorphized, what's to say other species wouldn't get the same treatment like say...dragons? Like say...Dulcy? I for one would welcome that concept just to see how she would turn out. Just as long as she keeps the general color scheme, her personality, classic techniques (Crack the whip, breath attacks), and the little foot wings. Yes it would be a bit different from the classic, but hey we already got a Mobian Muttski. besides that there's the fact that Nicole's been changed for a while and everyone loves her so far.

I knew there was an Ian quote to drop here, but it took a while to locate.

Ian Flynn wrote:
Dubs wrote:Dulcy

Being someone whose job is to think about this, let me share my two cents on the docile dragon.

I think one of the biggest problems Dulcy has in functioning within the confines of the book is her design versus the medium. In SatAM she was longer, leaner and in some scenes moved around like a dinosaur. She would swoop and soar and uses all sorts of powerful attacks and the animation allowed for the camera to pull in and out and otherwise show that off.

Now plunk her down in the static medium of a comic book. Here she got a lot squatter, presumably to wedge her into each panel. Not only was she now competing for room with the cast, but with the word balloons too. She'd either be a head swooping into the scene, or the rest of the cast would have to be produced in miniature just to fit everything in.

As for action scenes, Sonic can flit around as a ball. That's comparatively much easier to illustrate in a small space that a big ol' dragon with the wings and the tail and all the details. From a purely technical standpoint, Dulcy's too big for the book.

Then it comes to her character. She's sweet, a little sassy, compassionate but not afraid to throw her considerably powers around. That's Bunnie all over again. (Not to say their characters are identical, but they fill the same niche). When you factor in the size issue again, why go with the complicated dragon when you've got the more compact rabbot?

I like Dulcy. It's really hard to find a proper place for in the book, and when we do, find a way to use her effectively. And until that time comes I'd rather let her frolic off-panel happily than wedge her in awkwardly for the sake of including her.

She's on the "To Do List" as it were.

On the one hand, "Mobianizing" her would eliminate the size issue... but it would also eliminate the biggest (no pun intended) aspect of the character that makes her fundamentally different from Bunnie. It's a tough nut to crack.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Meliden » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:56 pm

Dulcy's big role and the reason she had to be so big in SatAM was to be transport for the characters. Will they really need that here when they have the Sky Patrol and the Tornado and the Twister and personal airboards?
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Damo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:08 pm

Meliden wrote:Dulcy's big role and the reason she had to be so big in SatAM was to be transport for the characters. Will they really need that here when they have the Sky Patrol and the Tornado and the Twister and personal airboards?

Well, everything's better with dragons. And they have a million and one uses. For instance, did you know dragons can be used to determine the true heir to the Iron Throne? Straight up. And you could make at least three movies and a TV show out of how to train them.

Joking aside, dragons are cool, they could appear in the book's setting, and Dulcy is pretty much the obvious choice to be the face of dragonkind.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Mobotropolis » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:23 pm

Dulcy's big role and the reason she had to be so big in SatAM was to be transport for the characters. Will they really need that here when they have the Sky Patrol and the Tornado and the Twister and personal airboards?

Iron Dominion. I can think of some situations where Dulcy would be more useful than a mechanical transport.

It worked best in the SatAM environment because the Freedom Fighter's entire existence hinged on their ability to work with stealth. When your opponent is a robotics genius who can probably (I.E. certainly) spot an enemy airplane coming from quite a distance it's best to try an alternative mode of transportation. Dulcy was organic which Robotnik had problems sorting, fairly quiet on takeoff and in-flight, and could more quickly adapt to a changing situation around her.

Classic Dulcy's comparable to one of the Freedom Fighter's Biplanes, I think, in size and function. Large enough to transport multiple people but small enough to maneuver well in a battle situation. Dulcy probably has more fire power, though, and probably more range when it comes to striking back.

She's also comparable to other flyers in the Freedom Fighters. Sometimes a situation arises where there is literally not time to power up your mechanical jalopy and you need to get people out of there now.

Appearance-wise ... today pretty much on accident (someone linked to their Speedy on another thread) I found a design I'd be willing to live with that draws inspiration from Vector's. She'd still be the tallest Freedom Fighter but not ridiculously so. Could still work as a transport. Could stand in an enclosed room without being awkward/out of place.

I feel like going too mobian with it would completely wreck the character kind of like Ben (Muttiski). Update her appearance to make her more modern and functional, but don't lose the original design's charm.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Damo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:46 am

Mobotropolis wrote:Appearance-wise ... today pretty much on accident (someone linked to their Speedy on another thread) I found a design I'd be willing to live with that draws inspiration from Vector's. She'd still be the tallest Freedom Fighter but not ridiculously so. Could still work as a transport. Could stand in an enclosed room without being awkward/out of place.

Making her, effectively a slightly taller Bunnie. Still basically a mobian, a sweet but occasionally saucy personality, very strong, firepower, flight. Like Ian said, she's very similar to Bunnie, and the more mobian you make her the more that becomes clear.

Like I said, I'm inclined to think it'd make more sense to go the opposite direction and make her a fullblown dragon. Yes, that obviously brings in size constraints, not being able to fit in buildings, but that would set her apart. And it's not like she's on the short list to being a regular character.

We had Feist, Omega is chilling around... "big character" is doable under the right circumstances.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Meliden » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:17 am

Omega is nowhere near the size of Feist or old Dulcy. At 1.50m, he probably doesn't even compare to Bark.

Just pointing this out for accuracy.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:14 am

Spoiler: show
Maybe Dulcy could be like Yoshi; large enough for one or maybe two to ride on, rather than a whole team.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Tonberry2k » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:55 am

So i've neglected this for a while. Anyone want to tell me who I should add to the first post?
Tonberry2k
BumbleNoble

Postby SilverMudkip7 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:52 am

Tonberry2k wrote:So i've neglected this for a while. Anyone want to tell me who I should add to the first post?

Rosie SCO1
Rotor's Dad SCO2 (Not Sherman Walrus)
E-106 Eta 259
Coral the Betta 259
Relic the Pika SU63
Fixit SU63
Razor the Shark 260
Crusher 260
Pearly the Manta 260
Capt. Striker the Mantis Shrimp 260
Chip/Light Gaia SU64
Echo the Dolphin 261
King Puff 261
Queen Angelica 261
Tikal SU66
Chaos 263
Moss the Sloth 263
Cassia 263
Clove 263
Thunderbolt 263
Dark Arms SU67

I think that's all of them...
SilverMudkip7
BumbleFan

Postby akessel92 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:15 pm

Not to mention
Mighty & ray
Spoiler: show
akessel92
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius