Sonic the Hedgehog #244 - Discussion & Spoilers

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Sonic the Hedgehog #244 - Discussion & Spoilers

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:18 pm

Some folks are getting the issue, so up goes the thread.

Pages when they become available.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog #244 - Discussion & Spoilers

Postby The Shadow Emperor » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:37 pm

In this issue, we had:

-No Julie-Su
-No Saffron
-No D.E.L.
-No Lien-Da
-No Remington
-No Lara-Le
-No Albionites

And on top of that, none of these characters appeared even once or were mentioned by name.

Look, all I'll say is this: it'd be really nice if the original, unedited version of this utterly ruined arc would be made available for us in the future, perhaps in TPB form. This is clearly not the story Ian originally intended for us, and it's definitely not the story I was hoping to read.

'Tis all.
The Shadow Emperor

Postby Spin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:43 pm

Oh boy. Where to start? This issue was a doozy. I'll just go ahead and spoil the whole thing.

1. Knuckles arrives in the city alone. Only to find the area deserted with no one around.

2. We get a flashback of Thrash talking to a few echidnas about finding safety in his Warp Ring.

3. Knuckles spots flashing lights in the distance and runs to find T-Pup growling at a Tasmanian Devil. Knuckles shoos it away and T-Pup accompanies him to look for Team Fighters.

4. Team Fighters is found unconscious as Knuckles runs up and wakes them up.

5. Metal Knuckles is found shut down as Sonic and Knuckles get reacquainted.

6. We get a flashback of the fight with Metal Knuckles. Sonic and Amy hold him off as Tails messes with a circuit breaker to turn off the traps. Only for the circuit breaker to get hit and cause a massive surge that renders everyone unconscious.

7. They come to the realization that they are alone in the city.

8. We get another flashback of Thrash. Who arrived at the scene to find Team Fighters unconscious and props them up against a wall. Promising to take care of all the echidna garbage.

9. Knuckles wants to call for back up and Tails sets up communication using T-Pup.

10. We get a flashback of Knuckles talking to Julie-Su unseen through a monitor. Explaining how he left Julie-Su and Saffron to watch over the Master Emerald.

11. They get no response. And communicate with Nicole instead and ask if she can try and get ahold of them. She claims to get no response either. Nicole suggests that they might have got the signal too and used a Warp Ring to go on ahead.

12. Knuckles claims only Vector and he have a Warp Ring.

13. Sonic wonders if it might be Dr. Finitevus who is causing trouble. Knuckles say no on account that Dr. Finitevus wouldn't have left Sonic alive after ruining his plans before.

14 Another Thrash flashback. This time Thrash is in the secret base of Finitevus on Angel Island. He finds Finitevus not home. Instead finding his notes on the echidna homeland and how to supercharge a Warp Ring.

15. As the group is looking. Knuckles begins to expect it might be Thrash due to being the only person he knows with a Warp Ring.

16. They find Thrash with his fist in a Warp Ring. "And that's the last of them."

17. Knuckles demands answers as Thrash thanks Knuckles for help with his quest. Claiming he was the one who let him keep the warp ring he found. And that he got rid of Julie-Su and Saffron guarding the Master Emerald along with the rest of the echidnas.

18. Knuckles goes in a rage as Thrash does his sonic scream. Thrash knocks Knuckles back and claims he'll let Knuckles live only for Sonic to go on the offensive. Sonic says he better release everybody as the two begin to tussle as Thrash once again unleashes a barrage of sonic screams.

19. Meanwhile we see a vine growing from the ground as it covers Metal Knuckles. The comic ends with Metal Knuckles possessed by the Krudzu. "Hey Sonic? I'm Baaa-ack!"

The echidnas are officially gone with the exception of Knuckles and Finitevus now. There were no names thrown around and we only saw the back heads of random echidnas with Thrash. They been hinted as possibly being dumped in the Twilight Cage. So if things do turn around.

I'm not going to bother to say what everyone else is clearly thinking. Instead I'll just leave this.

Spin
BumbleClan

Postby lalalei2001 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:50 pm

So they were warped away, not killed? I wonder where to =\

The 245 solicit mentioned Lien-Da and the Dark Egg legion by name...
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby PC the Hedgehog » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:50 pm

And no one is thinking of the possibility that perhaps the echidnas are just being temporarily indisposed until the whole Ken Penders mess blows over, a la Rob O' The Hedge?
PC the Hedgehog
BumbleNoble

Postby 009* » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:54 pm

PC the Hedgehog wrote:And no one is thinking of the possibility that perhaps the echidnas are just being temporarily indisposed until the whole Ken Penders mess blows over, a la Rob O' The Hedge?

At this point, it might as well be.
009*
BumbleKnight

Postby Mobotropolis » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:57 pm

Ah. So the Mayans Doomsday Theorists were right all along. They just weren't talking about Earth.

... aren't the SEGA Echindas based on the Mayans?
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby lalalei2001 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:59 pm

009* wrote:
PC the Hedgehog wrote:And no one is thinking of the possibility that perhaps the echidnas are just being temporarily indisposed until the whole Ken Penders mess blows over, a la Rob O' The Hedge?

At this point, it might as well be.

I think the main problem people are having is that the arc was supposed to be ABOUT the echidnas.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Dejimon11 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:01 pm

"I think I've played this song before
The melody is different, but I hear the drums of war"

ok seriously guys we've been over this wait until the arc ends then panic please. Like PC said for all we know they could be in the twilight zone the arc isnt over yet
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Postby kryptyk » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:11 pm

Dejimon11 wrote:"I think I've played this song before

ok seriously guys we've been over this wait until the arc ends then panic please. Like PC said for all we know they could be in the twilight zone the arc isnt over yet

Can any of us truthfully say this issue has progressed like any of us would've imagined though?
kryptyk
BumbleNoble

Postby 009* » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:14 pm

You know, it's been suggested that Naugus's rash actions with the first Death Egg attack being what kicked off Eggman's, and the DEL's by extension, recent actions could be used as
Spoiler: show
grounds for his removal from power because of the collateral damage to the whole world.
If an entire species is basically gone now because of that, something that the Acorns can't say happened because of them, that could add fuel to the fire. Ian may yet salvage this mess in future issues.
Last edited by 009* on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
009*
BumbleKnight

Postby Dejimon11 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:15 pm

kryptyk wrote:
Dejimon11 wrote:"I think I've played this song before

Can any of us truthfully say this issue has progressed like any of us would've imagined though?

well in that comic con video Ian did say that there's a reason why this story arc is called "endangered species" and its going to change a lot around especially for knuckles so i was expecting something tragic to happened but not like this
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Postby Vampfox » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:18 pm

Maybe the name of this arc should be changed to endangered characters. :twisted:
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby 009* » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:30 pm

Well if there's one bright side to the crossover, it's that the break from this story line could be enough time to clear all this lawsuit business and let the characters be shown again when it resumes.
009*
BumbleKnight

Postby The Shadow Emperor » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:44 pm

The solicit for this issue mentioned a huge conflict in the city. There was barely any conflict at all.

The solicit for the next issue mentions the ongoing battle and specifically notes that Lien-Da and the D.E.L. and fighting Thrash's devil dogs. It'll be awfully hard for that to happen when the city is virtually deserted and the D.E.L. is stuck in la la land.

Julie-Su was originally on the cover of #244, but aside from her radioing Knux while unseen she had zero presence in the arc.

Ian also mentioned that this arc was going to have 5 or 6 subplots and he even had to cut one to make room for Sonic and Team Fighters. As far as I can tell there's been one plotline and Team Fighters is in the middle of it.

What's going on here is pretty clear cut, guys. This entire arc has been completely redone at the eleventh hour (with the exception of #243 which was too far along in production to change) to shuffle off all the Penders characters and instead of a character-centric battle for Albion we're left with Knuckles and Team Fighters battling Tasmanian devils in an abandoned "Echidna City" for three issues straight. Joy.
The Shadow Emperor

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius