The Thread of general Sonic-related questions

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: The Thread of general Sonic-related questions

Postby DudestofGuys » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:59 pm

Xabin wrote:Take The Big Bang Theory, for instance

I'd rather not; that show is painfully dull.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby Penguin God » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:03 pm

You're trying to appease a fictional audience that you assume is dumb and bigoted without any evidence of either. Even if some of the audience would get confused by Rotor being somehow muscled and into obscure hobbies, that's not really the book's problem to fix. It's the fictional audience member's problem to deal with, that they cannot get past a really specific small stereotype. If you say "Rotor needs an explanation for being muscled and nerdy", all that's saying is "muscled guys can't be nerdy without an excuse." It's not playing with anything in a cool, innovative way. It's just reinforcing the stereotype for the sake of people who don't need to be catered to, and in fact may not even exist.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby The KKM » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:04 pm

oh my god you're literally saying we should be using BBT as a positive example here

what you're saying isn't a bad idea in fiction of how to deal with stereotypes, the problem here is you insisting that that's the way the comic needs to go, and especially with a stereotype that hasn't been commonly accepted for a couple decades already. It'd be like insisting the comic needs to address the stereotyping of Irishmen in 19th century American newspapers.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Xabin » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:15 pm

The KKM wrote:oh my god you're literally saying we should be using BBT as a positive example here

what you're saying isn't a bad idea in fiction of how to deal with stereotypes, the problem here is you insisting that that's the way the comic needs to go, and especially with a stereotype that hasn't been commonly accepted for a couple decades already. It'd be like insisting the comic needs to address the stereotyping of Irishmen in 19th century American newspapers.

Well, at least you're partially understanding where I'm coming from, that's a step. Maybe I should clarify what I mean with Rotor; I, like many other Rotor fans, have always known him as his nerdy, chubby, laid-back, non-action self, and now he's buffer, more aggressive, and more proactive and pragmatic with stuff. That's a major change to his personality and design, and it's jarring for those of us who are used to his old self. Should we accept him for what he is? Sure, but it doesn't make it any less jarring, and throwing in some of his old personality types like being nerdy about comics or games without context confuses that, especially when they make it a point to avoid connections to the old continuity. So giving some context with that, and playing around with that would be better than throwing it in willy-nilly. And it's not like they aren't dealing with stereotypes, still, with the characters; Rotor has always been known as the tech geek, so they're keeping that in the new continuity because it's a stereotypical trait of him, but then they make him like he is, now, and, well... as I've said before, what made him be buffer and more aggressive and pragmatic with stuff, if he wasn't like that as a kid? No context for that, so there's questions to be had, there, and without sufficient answers, people tend to make assumptions.

I hope that clears a few things up.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby The KKM » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:20 pm

He's just a modern translation of the scientist action hero from way back when, that you'd find in old superhero comics or adventure serials. He's Hank Pym, he's a gentler Professor Challenger. The separation between brains and brawn to the drastic point of stereotype that you expect is more recent than we think, and is also more outdated than you think. It may be confusing you, but I really doubt it's confusing any audience to a point that's statistically notable- and if it is, as I mentioned, I really doubt the kids won't just go "eh nerds can't be buffs but this is a fantasy anyways".
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Xabin » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:39 pm

The KKM wrote:He's just a modern translation of the scientist action hero from way back when, that you'd find in old superhero comics or adventure serials. He's Hank Pym, he's a gentler Professor Challenger. The separation between brains and brawn to the drastic point of stereotype that you expect is more recent than we think, and is also more outdated than you think. It may be confusing you, but I really doubt it's confusing any audience to a point that's statistically notable- and if it is, as I mentioned, I really doubt the kids won't just go "eh nerds can't be buffs but this is a fantasy anyways".

Hmm. I guess, I just wish there were more context to it than what they gave.

Anyway, now that I hope that's all been cleared up... Y'know, I don't have any other questions I can come up with for this series, game or comic-wise. Maybe mentioning the newspaper strips I saw a while back and wondering where they came from (sorry, I didn't save them, so I can't give any examples), but that's it.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby LordLaharlsVassal » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:07 pm

Does any of you guys know if one can use one's old account for the old Archie App in the New Archie App? The new Archie app keeps telling me that my email is unknown then I try to logg in with my account.
LordLaharlsVassal
BumbleFan

Postby RaceProUK » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:21 pm

Have you tried the password recovery option?
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby LordLaharlsVassal » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:04 pm

RaceProUK wrote:Have you tried the password recovery option?

The new App does not seem to be willling to recover a password on an email they deem unkown, and the old Sonic app does not have a recover password option, but maybe the old Archie app has?
LordLaharlsVassal
BumbleFan

Postby Meliden » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:12 pm

Oh wow, the same guy who dumped those Arcade ROMs of the police game and the popcorn machine 'game' has apparently discovered this newly found prototype, possibly to SegaSonic Arcade;

This is hilarious given what jokes have been made in the years following this. This also has some pretty major implications for Mighty and Ray's characters.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby squeakyboots13 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:42 pm

(Taking this with a grain of salt for the time being as fake leaks like this are easy to make nowadays. I find it extremely hard to believe that they would even consider making a game with "Bros." in the title back then.)

That said, the way the yellow Sonic is just poking his head out with that glare is hilarious.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby Azul » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:59 pm

squeakyboots13 wrote:(Taking this with a grain of salt for the time being as fake leaks like this are easy to make nowadays. I find it extremely hard to believe that they would even consider making a game with "Bros." in the title back then.)

Why? Sonic was made with the intent of being the antithesis of Mario. Having three bros as opposed to two is something right up their alley.

Regardless, I think the idea is stupid as heck.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby lalalei2001 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:27 pm

It reminds me of that one Sonic X cover with the five recolors.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:35 pm

that'd certainly explain why Mighty and Ray never played any differently than Sonic
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby Tsurugi » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:55 am

And why Mighty looked similar to Sonic's sprites in Knuckles' Chaotix.
Tsurugi
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius