The Thread of general Sonic-related questions

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: The Thread of general Sonic-related questions

Postby Zack_GLC » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Hey all! I've got a question!

So yesterday I managed to find the REAL Sonic CD for Sega CD, and in the manual in the story, Princess Sally is in it! I was like WHAAAAAAAATT?! anyway, my question is, does this mean that Amy Rose was supposed to be called Princess Sally originally? Or was Sally supposed to be in it? somebody explain please! If any of you know.
Zack_GLC
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Zack_GLC wrote:Hey all! I've got a question!

So yesterday I managed to find the REAL Sonic CD for Sega CD, and in the manual in the story, Princess Sally is in it! I was like WHAAAAAAAATT?! anyway, my question is, does this mean that Amy Rose was supposed to be called Princess Sally originally? Or was Sally supposed to be in it? somebody explain please! If any of you know.

It means that the localisation team didn't spend enough time doing their homework to realise that the pink Hedgehog that was incoming from Japan and the squirrel chipmunk thing in one of the cartoons that SoA was about to air were not one and the same.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Zack_GLC » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:18 pm

Meliden wrote:

It means that the localisation team didn't spend enough time doing their homework to realise that the pink Hedgehog that was incoming from Japan and the squirrel chipmunk thing in one of the cartoons that SoA was about to air were not one and the same.

Wouldn't Sega just give them all the info? That seems really weird that a mistake like that would get through (hearty laughter).
Zack_GLC
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:31 pm

Zack_GLC wrote:
Meliden wrote:

Wouldn't Sega just give them all the info? That seems really weird that a mistake like that would get through (hearty laughter).

Well...*ahem*

-No, they wouldn't have. SoJ and SoA have a history of keeping their activities and mythos hidden to the other party, hence why Yuji Naka didn't know about SatAM until years later (and said he would have been angry with SoA if he had found out about it while he was still with Sega).
-Okay, maybe "not done their homework" is slightly off. It's more like they decided to put Princess Sally's name there regardless to plug-in the cartoon, Amy's identity be danged.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby TheFatPanda » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Meliden wrote:

That was how it went?

The version of the story I heard was that SoA simply wanted to connect SatAM to the games.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Meliden » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:39 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:
Meliden wrote:

That was how it went?

The version of the story I heard was that SoA simply wanted to connect SatAM to the games.

Look at the post above yours.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Mustachio » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:03 pm

They named Amy Sally to help consolidate the game canon with the western media for the American audience. She was still Amy in the actual game, they just called her Sally in the game manual.

SoA did this all the time back then. Sonic's planet was always called Mobius, artwork for Dr. Robotnik was ether his AoStH design or a very slight amalgamation of his game design and SatAM design (no eyeballs Robotnik), and even Sonic had design differences to make him more appealing for an international audience. But the games were never different between versions, they were always the same game, the localizations were isolated to game manuals, media, and per-release material.
Mustachio
BumbleClan

Postby TheFatPanda » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:41 pm

This is one of those questions I thought of ages ago, then forgot about, until now.

In the first part of M30YL (SU#5) there's a little kid with an Eggman doll in the crowd scene. To us, it's just a mere Easter Egg, but in the context of the Sonic Universe, wouldn't that basically be the Mobian equivalent of a kid playing with a Hitler doll?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby CaleTheCat » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:11 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:This is one of those questions I thought of ages ago, then forgot about, until now.

In the first part of M30YL (SU#5) there's a little kid with an Eggman doll in the crowd scene. To us, it's just a mere Easter Egg, but in the context of the Sonic Universe, wouldn't that basically be the Mobian equivalent of a kid playing with a Hitler doll?

Well... When you put it that way, yeah, kinda.
CaleTheCat
BumbleClan

Postby Mobotropolis » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:34 pm

There are in-universe examples of Sonic Merchandise/Toys. Presumably, there are toys for Sonic's common enemies as well.

Even at the height of his power Eggman didn't seem to be taken seriously enough to prevent the Freedom Fighters from parodying him in a play. Years after his ultimate defeat/death that probably hasn't changed despite all of the mobian lives he's ruined.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby TheFatPanda » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:50 pm

Mobotropolis wrote:There are in-universe examples of Sonic Merchandise/Toys. Presumably, there are toys for Sonic's common enemies as well.

Even at the height of his power Eggman didn't seem to be taken seriously enough to prevent the Freedom Fighters from parodying him in a play. Years after his ultimate defeat/death that probably hasn't changed despite all of the mobian lives he's ruined.

Still seems rather morbid in context.

I suppose making fun of him when he's still alive makes sense, since even in the days of Hitlers reign there where several instances where he was mocked in media/propaganda, stuff like the play the Freedom Fighters made is essentially the Mobian equivalent of this. But making toys of Eggman after his death is like saying it's okay to make Hitler merchandise years after his death despite the effect he had on the lives of Holocaust survivors.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Scruffy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:03 pm

Maybe it was a voodoo doll, but the child lost the pins? :mrgreen:

I've got one. Back after Sally married Patch and Sonic discovered he was a fraud and not the real Antoine... why did Sonic lug him back to the Anti-verse, rather than tossing his one-eyed butt* in prison?

*Yes, I know he still had two eyes at that point. Leave me alone! :P
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby Penguin God » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:15 pm

The book wasn't really concerned with resolving anything at that point in time, even temporarily.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:48 pm

Spoiler: show
How did Thrash convince Lien-da to get into the Warp Ring?

MOD EDIT: KEEP SPOILERS IN THE SPOILER THREAD.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:14 am

Spoiler: show
Mavrickindigo wrote:How did Thrash convince Lien-da to get into the Warp Ring?

As far as I know, she was unconscious at the time, so he probably shoved her in there with the aide of the devil dogs.

MOD EDIT: SPOILERS. IN. THE. SPOILER. THREAD.
Meliden
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius