The Reprint Thread of DELAYED AGAIN and CANCELLED

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: The Reprint Thread of Graphic Novels and Digests

Postby DudestofGuys » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:45 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:I teeny tiny part of me wouldn't be so surprised if the Sagas in particularly got canned.

When it first came out, its primary purpose was to serve as a modern equivalent of the Archives, but then the Nu252 graphic novels kind of made that purpose redundant.

I felt like the addition of the reboot TPBs actually made Saga more relevant. It became a plug for the gap between the current run and the decade of issues yet to be reprinted. I get the feeling the Archive sales are destined to dwindle as they dig deeper into the dozens of issues even diehard fans aren't keen on, so having Saga alongside to collect fan favorite story arcs made sense.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby squeakyboots13 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:12 pm

From a quality control standpoint, it would make sense for them to give Archives the kibosh fairly soon but we'll see what happens.

I honestly can't imagine them cancelling Saga Series since that's the book that features fan favorite material plus it runs alongside the Universe trades.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby TheFatPanda » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:30 pm

The problem with canning the Archives is that new fans will be left with a big gaping hole in the old timeline.

Ideally, it'd be nice if at this point they released them at a faster rate just so they can get through those darker times more quickly.

...pfft, who am I kidding?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby OncleSam » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:01 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:The problem with canning the Archives is that new fans will be left with a big gaping hole in the old timeline.

Ideally, it'd be nice if at this point they released them at a faster rate just so they can get through those darker times more quickly.

...pfft, who am I kidding?

I so agree with you.
OncleSam
BumbleKnight

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:27 pm

Waves of Change is delayed to July 19th 2016.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby TheFatPanda » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:04 pm

As has Worlds Unite Volume 1.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby TheFatPanda » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:09 am

Oh boy...I knew there was something different about the Amazon listings that I couldn't put my finger on, but now I've realised what it is...

All upcoming Saga books have been removed.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Shadowclaw98 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:55 am

Oh...that ain't good :S
Shadowclaw98
BumbleNewbie

Postby Mobotropolis » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:25 am

All upcoming Saga books have been removed.

Expected/10

Now to see how long it'll take for Sonic Saga to completely and silently fall off the face of the Earth.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Re: The Reprint Thread of DELAYED AGAIN and CANCELLED

Postby PC the Hedgehog » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:11 am

*waits patiently for Archie to give up and cancel all Sonic and Mega Man graphic novel series*
PC the Hedgehog
BumbleNoble

Postby GentlemanX » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:12 am

Good. The less reprint lines Archie has the better. These are all issues Archives should have been allowed to get to eventually anyway.

What Archie's finally realizing is that trying to produce multiple lines simultaneously floods the market and creates buyer confusion ultimately resulting in people buying less instead of more. This should have been really easy.

Sonic Archives collects old issues of Sonic. Knuckles Archives collects old issues of Knuckles. Sonic Universe GNs collects old issues of Sonic Universe. Sonic Boom GNs collect old issues of Sonic Boom. Sonic X fans are out of luck. Sonic Select collects everything else. Done. Simple. Easy.

Instead, Archie chose to make the reprint lines a mess. Best of Sonic had to die. Sonic Legacy had to die. Sonic Saga had to die. Sonic Super Special Magazine had to die. All of these lines, plus stuff like Worlds Collide and Worlds Unite, only end up clogging up and delaying/cancelling everything.

Hopefully Sonic Spectacular also dies and everything can finally be streamlined.

- Sonic the Hedgehog premieres new main stories.
- Sonic Universe premieres new side stories.
- Sonic Super Digest targets the grocery store, Archie digest audience that ordinarily doesn't read the comics while premiering new game tie-ins, Sonic Boom stories, Sonic Comic Origins, etc. (i.e. short form stories)
- Sonic Sampler targets the Free Comic Book Day audience that ordinarily doesn't read the comics.
- Sonic Archives collects pre-reboot stories from Sonic the Hedgehog.
- Sonic the Hedgehog GN collects post-reboot stories from Sonic the Hedgehog.
- Sonic Universe GN collects stories from Sonic Universe.
- Knuckles Archives and Sonic Boom GN collect stories from Knuckles the Echidna and Sonic Boom. (Please finish this Archie. That's eight books between the two lines five of which are currently out. Currently Boom #2 is slated for May 31st. Interestingly, both Knuckles Archives 5 and 6 are still on Amazon, with a release date of "November 21, 2017".)
- Sonic Select collects everything else (i.e. original Digest/Sampler content).
- Sonic X fans are out of luck.

Still a fair amount of lines, but everything has a clear first release and permanent collected version. And without all those other lines that clutter everything up.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby RaceProUK » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:16 am

GentlemanX wrote:Interestingly, both Knuckles Archives 5 and 6 are still on Amazon, with a release date of "November 21, 2017".
I had those on pre-order with Amazon for ages; within the last month or so, both pre-orders have been auto-cancelled, as Amazon were basically unable to get any info on when they would be released. Worryingly, they're also unable to get release dates fixed for some SU GNs I also have on pre-order; I'm half-expecting an e-mail saying they're cancelled too.
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby Meliden » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:32 am

If Sonic Saga didn't exist, you probably wouldn't get to Ian's era before the Archives were killed off, now that they were fast approaching the dark era.

Knuckles Archive is the most confirmed for cancelled at this point, too.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby GentlemanX » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:17 pm

I really doubt the post-Adventure, pre-Ian stories will sell all that worse than the other books. The audience for Archives is for people that just want to own long out of print Sonic stories. Only a small minority knows or cares which issues are viewed as good or bad. Saga was an attempt to profit from Ian's stories under the assumption that their perceived higher quality would generate their own unique interest. Clearly that wasn't the case. There's just as much evidence that Saga's existence resulted in people going "what, another line of reprints? what's the difference?" I think the worst part of all these cancellations is that Archie still won't acknowledge it. Lines may come and go, but heaven forbid the company actually practice public relations to explain why.

And I am aware Knuckles Archives is dead. Hence why when I talk about it it's primarily in the form of a plea.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby ReifuTD » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:07 pm

I just want a Sonic Origins collection.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius