The Reprint Thread of DELAYED AGAIN and CANCELLED

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: The Graphic Novel Thread of Reprints

Postby MegaHayzer » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:40 pm

I think I'm completely regretting and going back on my statement of my loathing for reprints. I'm going to start collecting TPB's and when my actual issues begin to overlap (as they have from 50-onward), I'm going to wholesale my comics in lots. Less shelf space, better quality, albeit losing some of the authenticity.

That said, I hope the Knuckles Archives don't stop because of the broo-ha-ken. I'd really like to finally read the entire Knuckles series. :/
MegaHayzer
BumbleClan

Postby BlackHawkOmega » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:31 pm

PC the Hedgehog wrote:I love the reprints, myself. Heck, I wish they'd release 'em even faster.

I always thought that when they get to later issues, they'd come a bit faster. I mean, the more recent issues don't really need the recoloring and restoration, right?

MegaHayzer wrote:I think I'm completely regretting and going back on my statement of my loathing for reprints. I'm going to start collecting TPB's and when my actual issues begin to overlap (as they have from 50-onward), I'm going to wholesale my comics in lots. Less shelf space, better quality, albeit losing some of the authenticity.

That said, I hope the Knuckles Archives don't stop because of the broo-ha-ken. I'd really like to finally read the entire Knuckles series. :/

It certainly helps with those cross-over stories that span multiple series. Isn't the Adventure adaptation like that? I've never actually read it.

Broo-ha-ken? That's a Street Fighter move, right? But, no, I don't think they'll be any problems. Judging by my (poor) math, the Knuckles books should take at least 6 books to complete all 32 issues, so we're halfway there.
BlackHawkOmega
BumbleNoble

Postby TheFatPanda » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:16 am

@Diamonddeath: freaky, isn't it :wink:

PC the Hedgehog wrote:I have a feeling we may be seeing a shakeup in the way the Archives are presented in Volume 21. Switching to the Sonic Adventure Uekawa-style art would be a good way to indicate the change, though I know many fans would miss the classic Sonic style artwork.

I'm betting that the Uekawa-style will be employed from Volume 21 onward. The way I see it, the mixture of modern designs in the classic art style for Volume 19 and 20s covers are meant to represent the transition from classic to modern, since not everything in the comic changes to the modern stuff at once. First we get new-look Sonic, then a few issues later the new "Robotnik" comes in. At the end it's not until the Sonic Adventure adaption that everything has officially switched over.

I'm still trying to figure out what I'd think of the Knuckles back-ups being in a Knuckles Archive. On one hand, splitting up the Sonic issues would kinda disrupt the purpose of the Archives, to print every issue in their entirety in order. On the other, it'd free up more space for more Sonic-related stories, resulting in issues being released at a faster rate: but if that where to happen, what if it was decided that there would be less Sonic Archives per year to slow things down a bit?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Tross » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:38 am

What a coincidence, I plan on doing something where I outline my opinions on all the graphic novels, at some point in time. I was planning on waiting until the Encyclopedia comes out, so that I could mention it too. I may just bump this thread when I decide to go through with that. Anyways, as it stands, I agree with what has been said about the Archives. They are meant to collect all of the stories from a particular issue. I was expecting the Saga series to be like that too, but I guess it's not the same thing. So, to sum it all up, it's not actually 6 full issues. It's more of a selection of stories from various issues, omitting less relevant stuff. It's still a decent collection, and it is full sized, with the same amount of features as the SU GN series, and the upside is that it's more flexible. It's interesting to note that even though both stories from issue 162 are included in this GN, they are not reprinted back to back. It's probably so that the whole Darkest Storm arc is reprinted back to back instead, but that alone tells me that it's not about collecting the issues, so much as it is about collecting the main stories and arcs.

When I receive my order of the latest GNs, I tend to be most curious about the new series, since, at that point, I don't have an opinion on them yet, and I want to know what they're like in terms of format, features, etc. What my initial experience with the Saga series tells me, is that there will be reason enough to continue with the Archives series after it reaches the point where the Saga series begins. The Saga series will still be relevant at that point, because it has the advantage of size, and it does seem to be designed to collect up full story arcs above all else, whereas the Archives is all about collecting up full issues, mostly in volumes of four. Besides, if the Archives were to end at the point where the Saga series starts, depending on how things are handled in the Archives/Selects in regards to the Sonic Adventure arc, my math(if it's correct) tells me that we'll either have to miss out on issue 161, or we'll have a 5 issue final volume, or issue 162 will be reprinted twice, or some other content would have to replace that issue. It does seem a little odd that the Saga series doesn't actually start at the very beginning of Ian's run as head writer of the main comic(which started with issue 160), so I guess the intention really is to collect up the big story arcs from that era, rather than collecting up everything from that era. My guess is that Archie is leaving the door open for both series to co-exist, even when they eventually overlap. Besides, the SSSM can't truly compliment the Saga series, since it is limited print, and back issues won't be easy to find forever. It would be nice then, if another series could collect up those issues in full.

As for the GN reprints as a whole, I have always supported the idea, and will continue to. I was a fan of the series a long time ago, but stopped following it over a decade ago. In the last few years, I have become re-acquainted with it, and would love to own all the issues that I either missed, or don't have anymore, since I no longer have most of my original issues, and the few I still do have, have sentimental value to me, and I don't want to damage them by continuously reading them. Ideally, I'd love for the entire series to be reprinted in some form, at some point in time, or at least, the entire series from issue 0, straight through to some point just far enough behind the current issues, with only certain non-cannon stories missing, like Sonic Live, and some of the crossovers. I will say that the way the specials have been handled has made things more chronologically confusing than they already were, but at least the various issues have been reprinted. I wish some of the specials didn't have to be sliced and diced, but if I really wanted to, I could read the issues in their entirety, with two or more volumes in front of me, and could even go far enough to swing back and forth between them to read the stories in their original order, if I really wanted to.

I've kind of become a bit of a completionist, and collect all reprints regardless, with the exception of paperback editions of hardcovers I already own(and I have decided to go for the hardcover editions of GNs that have them). I even plan on keeping up with the Legacy series, even though I'm from the colour over size camp, and already own the Archives. The extra features, and different covers do help justify the purchase a little, and I do take the time to re-read the issues in black and white, since that's just how fond I am of this series.
Tross
BumbleFan

Postby SilverMudkip7 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:27 am

TheFatPanda wrote:And the bonus stories that get bundled in the SU trades, I they'll be the following:
Journey to the East - a selection from #209 (along with a recap of the Iron Dominion storyline)
Tails Adventure- ???
Treasure Team Tango- the back-up story from #217
Silver Saga- the stories from the blogs
Scourge Saga- ???
Babylon Rising- the first part of the Sonic Riders adaption
Scrambled- ???
Secret Freedom- the back-up story from #238

I think they should have the back-up from #218 (Hindsight) with Scrambled.
SilverMudkip7
BumbleFan

Postby TheFatPanda » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:36 am

@SilverMudkip: I completely forgot about that story. Yes, this story with Scrambled, it's so obvious.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby PC the Hedgehog » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:37 am

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the backup stories in the Sonic Universe volumes. I'd much rather they cram the extra pages with more concept art, character profiles, afterwords, and the like.
PC the Hedgehog
BumbleNoble

Postby Tross » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:53 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:Since I don't think I'll get a better opertunity I want to ask this. Why does everyone have such Negative reactions to various reprints that Archie does.

Literally every single Comic Book Company does like a billion reprints of the same matireal so I don't see why Sonic reprints are such a special case of "Oh they're reprinting the old stuff again WORST THING EVER".

I think people don't like the fact that there seem to be more reprints than new material. The fact that the main comics have started to reduce the number of pages for a story doesn't help much either.

But I don't hate the reprints. There's just something about reading collections of old stories in a glossy book format that I enjoy.

I suppose that's true, but we also have two magazine spinoffs now, so there's that too(though I suppose those are largely centered around reprints). I'm not sure there's a correlation between the existence of the GNs and having fewer pages per issue. Then again, if it's a cost saving measure, it does make one wonder about how much in the way of resources is allocated towards the reprints. On the other hand, SU hasn't always been a thing, and there was a time some years back when we just had the main series, and we also have the FCBD specials every year now. Having various reprints doesn't stop the main series and SU from being released on a monthly basis, with one of each staggered every two weeks. If we had more than two series going at once, I think things would get confusing. I know Marvel does it with some of their franchises, and I'm assuming DC does too, but I can't imagine trying to follow that. I'm good with having two series, thank you.

Besides, it's great to be able to collect up some of the past issues. The Archie Sonic series has been going on long enough that there's enough material to sustain multiple GN reprint series, so it's viable from a business perspective, and some people might be curious about how it all started, or what happened in a particular story arc from the past. Each series has its purpose too. At one point I questioned having so many series, but thinking about it, it all makes sense. The Archives deal primarily with reprinting the main issues in their entirety, and occasionally, content from Super Specials, but it's really only good for following the main series. The Selects deal primarily with the various Specials, Super Specials, FCBD Specials, and Miniseries, which were always separate from the main series, but are important parts of the cannon. The Knuckles Archives deals primarily with the Knuckles series, which is another part of the cannon from that period. The SU series reprints the SU arcs, which is another separate series, this time from recent years. The Saga series reprints more recent material, but is centered around major arcs, rather than full issues, though content that is ommitted isn't necessarily that big a deal(in the case of volume 1, the non-cannon game adaptations, and the MXYL stuff is completely separate). The Legacy series is a cheaper, full sized, but colourless alternative to the Archives, and offers the consumer some choice. The Best of Series is more of a tribute to the biggest stories and story arcs. The Genesis GN is a one-off tribute to the Genesis story arc. I will agree that something about having these issues and stories collected in a volume of sorts feels right.
Tross
BumbleFan

Postby diamonddeath » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:33 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:@Diamonddeath: freaky, isn't it :wink:

More specifically: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiEwmiPSmto "Strange, isn't it?!" :(hearty laughter):
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby TheFatPanda » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:27 pm

What does TheFatPanda get up to when he has waaaaay too much time on his hands? Stuff like this:

Sonic Saga #3: Eggman Empire
Spoiler: show
Chapter 1
-"Round Up" (#173)
-"See Ya Later Chao!"- Part 1 (#173)
-"See Ya Later Chao!"- Part 2 (#174)
Chapter 2
-"Eggman Empire" (#175)
Chapter 3
-"Cracking the Empire" (#176)
Chapter 4
-"Home, New Home" (#177)

Sonic Saga #4: House of Cards
Chapter 1
-"House of Cards"- Part 1 (#178)
Chapter 2
-"House of Cards"- Part 2 (#179)
Chapter 3
-"Preparations for War" (#180)
Chapter 4
-"Enerjak: Reborn"- Part 1 ("Rising Evil") (#181)
-"Undone" (#181)
Chapter 5
-"Enerjak: Reborn"- Part 2 ("Fallen Angel") (#182)
-"Albion's Shameful Secret" (#182)

Sonic Saga #5: Mogul Rising (CV: #186)
Chapter 1
-"Enerjak: Reborn"- Part 3 ("Desperate Times") (#183)
-"Ashes and Dust" (#183)
Chapter 2
-"Enerjak: Reborn"- Part 4 ("Chaos Angel") (#184)
-"Anything" (#184)
Chapter 3
-"Mogul Rising"- Part 1 ("Needful Things") (#185)
Chapter 4
-"Mogul Rising"- Part 2 ("Devil's Due") (#186)
-"Honor Bound" (#186)
Chapter 5
-"Mister Popular" (#187)

*NOTE: I omitted #185's back-up story, "Misfit Badniks Salty Soggy Sequel", because the first "Misfit Badniks" story was left out of Saga #2*

Sonic Saga #6: A Bold New Moebius (CV: #192)
Chapter 1
-"Beating the House" (#188)
Chapter 2
-"A Bold New Moebius"- Part 1 ("Unwelcome Guests") (#189)
Chapter 3
-"A Bold New Moebius"- Part 2 ("Duality") (#190)
Chapter 4
-"Metal and Mettle"- Part 1 (#191)
Chapter 5
-"Metal and Mettle"- Part 2 (#192)
-"Father and Son" (#192)

Sonic Saga #7: Hedgehog Havoc (CV: #195)
Chapter 1
-"Otherside"- Part 1 ("How the Other Half Lives") (#193)
Chapter 2
-"Otherside"- Part 2 ("Cross-World Conflict!") (#194)
Chapter 3
-"Hedgehog Havoc"- Part 1 (#195)
Chapter 4
-"Hedgehog Havoc"- Part 2 (#196)
-"Sleepless in New Megapolis" (#194)
Chapter 5
-"Consequences" (#167)

Sonic Saga #8: Turnabout is Fair Play (CV: #200)
Chapter 1
-"Egg Phoenix Down" (#198)
Chapter 2
-"Knocking on Eggman's Door" (#199)
Chapter 3
-"Turnabout is Fair Play" (#200)
Chapter 4
-"Change in Management" (#201)
-"Devotion" (#201)

Sonic Saga #9: Dangerous Territory (CV: #202)
Chapter 1
-"Dangerous Territory" (#202)
-"A Lonely Girl's Story" (#202)
Chapter 2
-"Heavy is the Head"- Part 1 ("Surprise Visit") (#203)
Chapter 3
-"Heavy is the Head"- Part 2 ("Iron Khan") (#204)
-"A Friend in Deed"- Part 1 (#203)
-"A Friend in Deed"- Part 2 (#204)
Chapter 4
-"On the Run"- Part 1 ("All the Eggs in One Basket") (#205)
-"Birthright"- Part 1 (#205)
-"Birthright"- Part 2 (#206)

Sonic Saga #10: Iron Dominion (CV: #209)
Chapter 1
-"On the Run"- Part 2 ("Troubles by the Dozen") (#206)
Chapter 2
-"Blackout" (#207)
-"The Iron Queen" (#207)
Chapter 3
-"Iron Dominion"- Part 1 (#208)
Chapter 4
-"Iron Dominion"- Part 2 (#209)
Chapter 5
-"Home Invasion"- Part 1 (#210)

Sonic Saga #11: Reigning Cats and Dogs (CV: #214)
Chapter 1
-"Home Invasion"- Part 2 ("Security Measures") (#211)
Chapter 2
-"The Roads We Take" (#212)
Chapter 3
-"Reigning Cats and Dogs"- Part 1 (#213)
Chapter 4
-"Reigning Cats and Dogs"- Part 2 (#214)

Sonic Saga #12: Family Matters/Thicker Than Water (CV: #218)
Chapter 1
-"Family Matters"- Part 1 (#215)
-"Future Tense"- Part 1 (#215)
Chapter 2
-"Family Matters"- Part 2 (#216)
-"Future Tense"- Part 2 (#216)
Chapter 3
-"Thicker Than Water"- Part 1 (#217)
Chapter 4
-"Thicker Than Water"- Part 2 (#218)
-"Welcome Back, Chao!" (#217)
-"Hindsight" (#218)
-"From the Inside Out" (#220)

Sonic Saga #14: Chaos and the Crown (CV: #224)
Chapter 1
-"In Service to the King"- Part 1 (#219)
Chapter 2
-"In Service to the King"- Part 2 (#220)
Chapter 3
-"Changing Tempo" (#221)
-"Second Impressions"- Part 1 (#221)
Chapter 4
-"The World Can Wait" (#222)
-"Second Impressions"- Part 2 (#222)
-"Special Zone House Call" (#223)
Chapter 5
-"Chaos and the Crown"- Part 1 (#223)
Chapter 6
-"Chaos and the Crown"- Part 2 (#224)

*NOTE: I imagine this book to be extended by a few more pages, since it'd have to squeeze in the last chapter of "Chaos and the Crown" before the next book*

Sonic Saga #15: GENESIS (CV: #226)
Prologue
-"One Step Forward..." (#225)
Chapter 1
-"Sonic: Genesis"- Part 1 ("In the Beginning...") (#226)
Chapter 2
-"Sonic: Genesis"- Part 2 ("Fate and Friends") (#227)
Chapter 3
-"Sonic: Genesis"- Part 3 ("Divide and Conquer") (#228)
Chapter 4
-"Sonic: Genesis"- Part 4 ("Reset") (#229)
Epilogue
-"...Two Steps Back" (#230)

*NOTE: This volume would partially be a Sonic Saga re-branding of the Genesis graphic novel*

Sonic Saga #16: Lost in the Moment (CV: #231)
Chapter 1
-"Lost in the Moment" (#231)
-"Haunted" (#231)
Chapter 2
-"Dark Tidings" (#232)
-"Fragile" (#232)
Chapter 3
-"The Trial of Geoffrey St. John" (#233)
-"From the Shadows" (#233)
Chapter 4
-"Unthinkable" (#234)
-"Dark Hearts" (#234)
Chapter 5
-"Remember the Fallen" (#235)

Sonic Saga #17: Cry Freedom! (CV: 236)
Chapter 1
-"Cry Freedom!" (#236)
-"Leader of the Band" (#236)
Chapter 2
-"Loyalty"- Part 1 (#237)
Chapter 3
-"Loyalty"- Part 2 (#238)
-"Heart to Heart" (#237)
-"Foundation Work (#238)
Chapter 4
-"Heroes"- Part 1 (#239)
Chapter 5
-"Heroes"- Part 2 ("For the People") (#240)

Sonic Saga #18: Endangered Species (CV: #246)
Chapter 1
-"Unraveling" (#241)
-"Unfriendly Skies" (#242)
Chapter 2
-"Endangered Species"- Part 1 (#243)
Chapter 3
-"Endangered Species"- Part 2 (#244)
Chapter 4
-"Endangered Species"- Part 3 (#245)
Chapter 5
-"Endangered Species"- Part 4 (#246)

Sonic Saga #19: At All Costs (CV: ???)
Chapter 1
-"At All Costs"- Part 1 (#247)
-????
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Thats a pretty good way to list them,tfp.
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby TheFatPanda » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:54 pm

I figured this would be a better place to post this rather than a random spoiler thread:

(I would've picked #24's cover...)
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:54 am

Huh. Well that is a funny cover but I do agree with you Panda #24 would have been a much better choice.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby squeakyboots13 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:53 am

Sonic Saga Series #2 Preview

Right click the thumbnail and open in new window/tab to see the images in full size.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby TheFatPanda » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:31 am

squeakyboots13 wrote:Sonic Saga Series #2 Preview

Right click the thumbnail and open in new window/tab to see the images in full size.

I picked that up last week.

Just to reiterate, it contains every story from 168-172 with the exception of "Island of Misfit Badniks" from 170.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius