The Reprint Thread of DELAYED AGAIN and CANCELLED

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

The Reprint Thread of DELAYED AGAIN and CANCELLED

Postby TheFatPanda » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:01 am

This is where we discuss the Sonic comic reprints, whether it be from the vast Sonic Graphic Novel Library or the Sonic Super Special Magazine (CANCELLED) Sonic Super Digests.

ORIGINAL POST: So yeah, this dump is to talk about the Sonic graphic novels. Or in a more specific sense, the formatting, the stories that get printed and how they're collected.

The one major concern I have right now is the printing of the Sonic Saga books:
-Will each volume change the amount of pages to accomidate the different arc sizes? And what about about the smaller arcs that come between. e.g. will we have a whole book each for "Enerjak Reborn" and "Bold New Moebius" respectively, but then what of the four issues in between them?
-Will the books skip Genesis when they get to it, since it already has it's own book, reprinting the "Chaos and the Crown" arc, and then skipping straight to the Genesis aftermath from #231 onward?

I also wonder what the eventual Sonic Select reprinting of the Tails Mini-series will be collected with? The Sonic Quest mini was collected with FCBD 2010 and 2011 because they're both Death Egg related, and the Sally mini will be released with other Sally-themed stories, from Knuckles #29 to Sonic #222.
But other material is there left to print with the Tails mini?

And the bonus stories that get bundled in the SU trades, I they'll be the following:
Journey to the East - a selection from #209 (along with a recap of the Iron Dominion storyline)
Tails Adventure- ???
Treasure Team Tango- the back-up story from #217
Silver Saga- the stories from the blogs
Scourge Saga- ???
Babylon Rising- the first part of the Sonic Riders adaption
Scrambled- ???
Secret Freedom- the back-up story from #238
Last edited by TheFatPanda on Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:32 am, edited 16 times in total.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Re: The Graphic Novel Thread of Reprints

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:30 am

Part of me has been thinking they're going to put the Tails Mini in the Tails Adventure Trade I'm not srewhy itt just seem's weirdly likely.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Striker » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:57 pm

I think that the extra in the Silver Saga will be the Future Tense prelude
Striker
BumbleClan

Postby PC the Hedgehog » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:43 pm

I really, really hope the inclusion of the assorted mini-stories in the Sonic Universe graphic novels doesn't point to their exclusion from the Archives/Sagas.
PC the Hedgehog
BumbleNoble

Postby BlackHawkOmega » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:15 pm

That's actually a good point about the Saga Series books. I know it's been said time and again that they will reach this point in the Archives, so they'll just reprint them in Archives with all the side-stories? I've been debating on getting the Saga books, as I really want to get the eventual Enerjak: Reborn book, but if I get one, my intense OCD will make me eventually get the others, so should I just wait?
BlackHawkOmega
BumbleNoble

Postby TheFatPanda » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:02 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:Part of me has been thinking they're going to put the Tails Mini in the Tails Adventure Trade I'm not srewhy itt just seem's weirdly likely.

They're gonna have to expand the book by quite a few pages to fit it in.

PC the Hedgehog wrote:I really, really hope the inclusion of the assorted mini-stories in the Sonic Universe graphic novels doesn't point to their exclusion from the Archives/Sagas.

In the Saga books: it wouldn't really bother me if they do. Excluding certain back-up stories that've already been in the SU trades will free up some more space, which could be better used squeezing in more material so that the stories are spaced out better allowing for more complete arc-collections.

As for the Archives books, I feel the whole point of those books is to feature each issue in their entirety. Unless there is a really good reason for not including a certain story, I'm sure each story will show up in each relevent issue. So for instance, I doubt they're going to exclude the first part of M25YL just because it was in SU Volume 2.
Last edited by TheFatPanda on Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Toby Barrett » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:03 pm

The Tails Adventure arc will get it's own trade paperback, just like the previous stories in Sonic Universe did.
Toby Barrett

Postby PC the Hedgehog » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:08 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:In the Saga books: it wouldn't really bother me if they do. Excluding certain back-up stories that've already been in the SU trades will free up some more space, which could be better used squeezing in more material so that the stories are spaced out better allowing for more complete arc-collections.

Still, that'd be confusing as all get out, having to dig through the various Sonic Universe graphic novels to find bits and pieces of storylines spread throughout the Archives/Sagas.
PC the Hedgehog
BumbleNoble

Postby OncleSam » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:57 am

I'm pretty sure they are going to stick with this :

Universe Arcs : Universe GN with bonus content ( like interviews or whatever )
All that concerns the old Super Specials , Mini-Series and " stuff that can go with " : Sonic Select
All related to Sonic The Hedgehog and Knuckles The Echidna : The Archives

I'm not really interested in the Saga Series , but I do hope that the Archives WON'T stop when they reach that saga . And also , I don't think they will bother re-printing in the Archives issues already re-printed in like Sonic Select or Super Sonic Special . I mean , the INTEREST of the Archives is to have ALL THE ISSUES . So it would be useless to skip somes issues just because they were already re-printed . Plus , some people may be just getting the Archives , and not specially the Selects or Specials , so they would be missing some stuff , and THAT would be frustrating .
OncleSam
BumbleKnight

Postby TheFatPanda » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:28 am

I don't think the Archives will stop when they get to where the Sagas pick up.

I think they'll either just keep printing the Archives with the full issues (as in, not taking stories and splitting them up like the Sagas do), or they'll go back and relaunch the Saga books in digest format and rebrand them as Archives, like they did with Sonic the Beginning.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:19 am

Since I don't think I'll get a better opertunity I want to ask this. Why does everyone have such Negative reactions to various reprints that Archie does.

Literally every single Comic Book Company does like a billion reprints of the same matireal so I don't see why Sonic reprints are such a special case of "Oh they're reprinting the old stuff again WORST THING EVER".
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby PC the Hedgehog » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:52 pm

I love the reprints, myself. Heck, I wish they'd release 'em even faster.
PC the Hedgehog
BumbleNoble

Postby TheFatPanda » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:17 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:Since I don't think I'll get a better opertunity I want to ask this. Why does everyone have such Negative reactions to various reprints that Archie does.

Literally every single Comic Book Company does like a billion reprints of the same matireal so I don't see why Sonic reprints are such a special case of "Oh they're reprinting the old stuff again WORST THING EVER".

I think people don't like the fact that there seem to be more reprints than new material. The fact that the main comics have started to reduce the number of pages for a story doesn't help much either.

But I don't hate the reprints. There's just something about reading collections of old stories in a glossy book format that I enjoy.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby diamonddeath » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:25 pm

Oh my god, are you serious TheFatPanda?! I was going to make this thread! Hahaha wow, I've said this to you before, and I'll say it, again- great minds think alike! :D Anyway, what I was going to bring up in my thread is that Sonic Archives 22 will probably include the Sonic Adventure special along with the last two issues of the adaptation, which would make 23 pick up right after with Metal Sonic v2.5, who I am really hoping will be on the cover in the classic SEGA style by Spaz! I'm so excited for the upcoming covers. I just hope I'm not disappointed, but I probably won't be. :)
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby PC the Hedgehog » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:30 pm

Again, I wonder if the Knuckles backups starting with the Knuckles backup in Sonic 79 or 80 (whichever issue they started in) will be included in Sonic Archives or be used in the Knuckles Archives. If the latter, then Sonic Archives 20 should be the last we see of 4-issues-per volume.

I have a feeling we may be seeing a shakeup in the way the Archives are presented in Volume 21. Switching to the Sonic Adventure Uekawa-style art would be a good way to indicate the change, though I know many fans would miss the classic Sonic style artwork.
PC the Hedgehog
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius