The Archie Sonic comics... in French

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: The GENESIS saga...in french

Postby squeakyboots13 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:07 pm

Adamis wrote:Hello random cast...

Lazy stock art looks lazy.
squeakyboots13
BumbleCult

Postby TheFatPanda » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:10 pm

Adamis wrote:Yes.
It's funny because they translated "Scrap Brain zone" as "La zone de ferraille des cerveaux", but they kept "Robotropolis" and "New Megalopolis". Also, about the "tête d'oeuf" we were speaking of earlier, Sonic actually uses it as an insult when he meets Eggman in his Final zone machine.
About his master plan, he says "Je dois juste trouver ce fameux plan. A quoi servira cette station de bataille ?" which means "I just need to find that plan. What's the use of that battle station ?" or something like this :)

That's very interesting...
I initially got the idea that the publishers where simply trying to sell this as a standard retelling of Sonic's origin, with no context or hints as to it being a part of a much bigger story. But if they kept these references in, are they actually using this as a testing ground for whether an Archie Sonic publication would do well in other countries?

If that isn't their intention, then won't most of the French readers who most likely have never even heard of the Archie series just be left with a whole load of throwbacks that would make absolutely no sence out of context? I mean, what are the readers gonna think when Sonic suddenly gets a seemingly random flashback of Sally being gunned down?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Adamis » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:12 pm

I'm sure it's just Sega who gave them some random arts to put in the book... I mean, you see this when you open it :

Also, for those who want a better look :

FatPanda : We'll have our answers in November...
Adamis
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:49 pm

I'm sorry, but my reaction to that inner cover page was a resounding "LMAO". Looks like they wanted a grab at as many potential buyers as possible so crammed in those stock arts to remind them that this is very much an official Sonic property.

While it's not true that all the French are unaware of Archie, I do think this is just serving as some sort of taster for those who are. Seeing how they react to a different media with a different cast by giving them something which treads lightly and simply with them.

Given that this is the same country that gave us Princess Alucion, I think they can handle a few diversions from the game canon, whoever decided to do this. :?
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Tsurugi » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:53 pm

Who's Alucion? :|
Tsurugi
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Tsurugi wrote:Who's Alucion? :|

See the Echidna on this cover? The one who looks like Knuckles in a leotard and with a headdress? That's princess Alucion. You can ask Adamis all about her.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Tsurugi » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:52 pm

Ah OK, thanks Meliden :)
Tsurugi
BumbleNoble

Postby ReifuTD » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:26 pm

Adamis wrote:Image

Does the credits say who traslated the comic into French?

I hope they decide to do this te the rest of the comic manly the newer issues.

Heck the weirdest thing that could come out of this of a French spin off Genesis world.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:43 pm

I doubt it's going to do that well. As far as I know, comics have died off in Europe on a huge scale.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Adamis » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:40 am

Meliden wrote:I doubt it's going to do that well. As far as I know, comics have died off in Europe on a huge scale.

That's new to me, and I'm European :) There are difficulties, but comics didn't "die off" at all, at least in Belgium and France. There are always new comics, good ones and bad ones. It's just that there are more bad ones than good ones nowadays...
And this Sonic comic is doing well apparently : in my favorite comic shop "Slumberland", they only had three or four left, and they always put a good pile of the newest comics on the shelves. In two other places, they simply sold them all.

Also, Princess Aluçion... :(hearty laughter): heh, I find her very funny. Too bad they didn't continue that book, we would have had another, curious continuity :)

Adamis
BumbleNoble

Postby Vampfox » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:18 am

I love how they show Amy, Knuckles, and Cream here even though they have nothing to do with the Genesis storyline. :(hearty laughter):
Last edited by Vampfox on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:37 am

Knuckles doesn't either. They just know who the consumers expect to see...
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Super Rayzor » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Adamis wrote:Also, Princess Aluçion... :(hearty laughter): heh, I find her very funny. Too bad they didn't continue that book, we would have had another, curious continuity :)

So, when they made the comics, did they not realize Knux was a guy or was both her and Knux in the book?
Super Rayzor
BumbleNoble

Postby Meliden » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:48 pm

Super Rayzor wrote:
Adamis wrote:Also, Princess Aluçion... :(hearty laughter): heh, I find her very funny. Too bad they didn't continue that book, we would have had another, curious continuity :)

So, when they made the comics, did they not realize Knux was a guy or was both her and Knux in the book?

Given the gaff Spain made with Tails' gender in AoStH, the former scenario would not surprise me one bit.

Adamis wrote:That's new to me, and I'm European :) There are difficulties, but comics didn't "die off" at all, at least in Belgium and France.

Oh, then it must be a UK thing then. Our comic industry has all but shrivelled up with only the most major of publications surviving.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby MetaL Overlord » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Super Rayzor wrote:

No It's a different Character. Knuckles shows up too. Still looks more Original than Penders Work.
MetaL Overlord
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius