Ask Ian for October '07 - Witty Title Pending

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby oca2007 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:07 pm

Ian I have been collecting StH since #39 and your stories have been some of the best I've read. I greatly enjoy your plotlines as well as the plot twists. Thank you for your hard work!

1) Back in the earlier issues, everyone but Sonic and Tails had four fingers. In recent issues, they've had five. Why do they have five?
2) I believe that this question has already been answered, but will we ever see an issue where Super Sonic will fight and win without any help?
3) Since #124, Shadow has been protective/intrested in/of Hope. Will you explore this area further?
4) Would there be a chance for the Deep Power Stones be put in StH?
5) (I think you answered this as well before) Will Sonic's Hyper form from StH3&K ever make an appearance?
oca2007
BumbleNewbie

Postby Tonberry2k » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:58 pm

oca2007 wrote:5) (I think you answered this as well before) Will Sonic's Hyper form from StH3&K ever make an appearance?

Ian has said a few times that the Super Emeralds no longer exist, so neither does Hyper form.
Tonberry2k
BumbleNoble

Postby Lobotomy » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:11 pm

Tonberry2k wrote:
oca2007 wrote:5) (I think you answered this as well before) Will Sonic's Hyper form from StH3&K ever make an appearance?

Ian has said a few times that the Super Emeralds no longer exist, so neither does Hyper form.

The chaos emeralds *could* mutate again a la Sonic 3.
Lobotomy
BumbleNoble

Postby Kureejii Lea » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:27 pm

Ashura, this thread is not the place for discussion. Keep it to questions and answers.

oca2007 wrote:1) Back in the earlier issues, everyone but Sonic and Tails had four fingers. In recent issues, they've had five. Why do they have five?

Overall consistancy in terms of design. Regardless, this is a matter towards the artist, not the writer. Tracy has his own thread should you want to ask about his artwork.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Para » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:25 pm

Not really comic related, but...
Ian, have you ever considered making Fandom Creative Corner it's own forum instead of just a single, at times hard-to-follow thread?
Para
BumbleNoble

Postby GrandMasterGalvatron » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:13 am

What's good in the hood guy? The name's Galvatron.

Anywho, my first question is about the characters in general. Are you familiar with the character profiles at Sonic Channel? They give information on the game characters such as height, weight, age dislikes, etc. Is there any chance we could see such information about the comic exclusive characters? Not too important on a grand scale, but it'd be nice to have for comparison reasons and all that.

Also, Super Scourge. I saw a hint in his older profile that said he could go Super, but this hasn't happened as of yet. Any plans for this at the moment? Also, what would his colors be like? Red with yellow eyes maybe? XD (Inverse Super Sonic).

Lastly (for this time) are you aware of Sonic's Darkspine mode from Secret Rings? If so, what did you think of the form, and would you like to use it sometime?
GrandMasterGalvatron
BumbleKnight

Postby Luger » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:57 pm

1.) Given the story on Julie-Su's history in SSS #11, Remmington is actually younger than both Julie-Su and Knuckles. How was he able to hold such a high position in the Echidna Security Team being younger than 17 when he held that position? Or, did he age faster as a result of being in the main zone while Julie-Su remained in the Twilight Zone until recently?
(Julie-Su being born when Kragok was 17, and with no mention of a girlfriend/wife at that time in the issue, we can assume Remmington wasn't born yet, and Knuckles was born before Julie-Su).

2.) If it's the latter scenarios in the above question, will we get to see this explored in the series at all, as well as more of Remington's history and why he wasn't raised as a member of the Dark Legion?

3.) With the Enerjak: Reborn arc such a huge success, do you plan to have another huge, titanic arc take place shortly after the ending of it (which starts off the new year, no less) or are we going to have some more one-off, smaller arcs to cool things down a bit?

4.) According to Snively's data file, his mother died while giving birth to him, yet when Snively's dad describes his trip in outer space, he mentions how Snively's mother "didn't survive the trip". Which of these is correct and which is not?

5.) Any plans in the near future to let Snively hit the spotlight again and maybe take on a more leadership role, or be given the chance to show what he's capable of? I always thought that he was cheated out of the spotlight when Robotnik bit the dust in ish #50, and he was captured in SSS #2 so quickly.
Luger
BumbleNoble

Postby Goshzilla » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:11 am

With Rowling's latest question and answer session. Revealing Dumbledore was gay. What exactly is your thoughts as a writer to answering similar kinds of questions?

Are there boundries you have for what us the readers should figure out on our own?
Goshzilla
BumbleNewbie

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:04 am

I'm curious if it's ever been covered as to how Snively wound up with Robotnik during/after the war, and if not, if that might be something we'd see covered someday.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Ed Bellis » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:42 pm

I'm not sure if the first question merits a spoiler warning or not (it's about 181), so I'll word my question carefully.

1. What Dr. Fin said about 90 percent of the echidna population... when exactly did this happen? Is this a result of the dingo regime, Eggman's Egg Grapes (which was only a one-time thing) or both? If the former, why hasn't Locke done anything about it?

2. Has Harry the cab driver returned to dingo society, or does he still refuse to take an active side in the war?

Thanks.
Ed Bellis
BumbleFan

Postby Dakota Bob » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:23 pm

I hope this question isn't breaking any rules, but will Bunnie make any bigger appearances in later issues?
Dakota Bob
BumbleFan

Postby 2tailed » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:26 pm

LBD-Some of Snively's history, including how he joined the original Robotnik, was revealed in issue 72. (I can't remember all of it myself...)

Ian:

1. Marine was a lot of fun in #180. Is there any chance she'll show up in future issues?
2. Any plans to return to the Wolfpack (last seen wandering around when the Nanite City was formed)?
3. I'm betting we'll see an adaptation next year of the new Sonic Riders game coming out. Will we ever see the Babylon Rogues play a more significant part in stories than just showing up for little 5-6 page installments?
4. Speaking of which, do you suppose Jet and the rest of them have any familiarity with Bean ("the Armada" and all that)?
5. If the Battle Bird Armada ever does show up, will Tails have a large role in their defeat?
Last edited by 2tailed on Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2tailed
BumbleKnight

Postby GrandMasterGalvatron » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:26 pm

Another question:

Do you plan on making a tie in for Sonic Rivals (and Rivals 2)?

Also, since Rush Adventure is canon to the comic storyline, where does it fall issue wise? Also, will there be some explanation on how the apparently sentient Chaos Emeralds got out of the Special zone and into Blaze's world?
GrandMasterGalvatron
BumbleKnight

Postby Glaber » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:54 pm

Are you currently working on an adaption? If yes can it be a multi issue story rather than the 5 page advertisement? (Better known as a backup story adaption and the worst of the type)
Glaber
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:03 am

Answers for 10/21/07 to 10/27/07

Just a warning, folks, we're getting chatty again. Pure info here. If you're going to answer, provide a link or an issue number. This goes for mods too.

Question #1 wrote:Sonic used to be able to swim earlier in the series (Sub-Sonic Speed). Is that still valid, or has he taken to a more SegaSonic "water=bad" mentality?

The latest assessment of Sonic's aquatic abilities was during "Home," in which it was stated he could not swim. He did, however, manage to escape a watery grave twice since that declaration. At this point I'm working under the notion that Sonic doesn't know how to swim properly and would much prefer to not deal with water at all, but still has skills that allow him to survive if need-be.

Question #2 wrote:If a new move (or even basic moves) for Sonic comes up in Brawl, we could wind up seeing it implemented into his fighting style in the comics?

Nope. Sonic's appearance in Brawl is non-canon. It holds no bearing on the book.

Question #3 wrote:Any chance of Sleet and Dingo of "Sonic Underground" ever showing up in the comic?

They made their appearance in SSS#10. Unfortunately, given how little a mark SU made within the franchise, I find it highly unlikely we'll revisit them or their version of Sonic's world.

Question #4 wrote:Back in the earlier issues, everyone but Sonic and Tails had four fingers. In recent issues, they've had five. Why do they have five?

Despite being a plot point during the Sonic Adventure adaptation, the four fingers/five-fingers thing remained inconsistent. It was decided to go the five-finger route for everybody for simplicity's sake. Note that this decision doesn't hold sway over concealing gloves (i.e. Julie-Su, Knuckles) or those with decidedly less fingers (i.e. Archimedes, Black Doom).

Question #5 wrote:Since #124, Shadow has been protective/intrested in/of Hope. Will you explore this area further?

That all depends if Hope is still alive. It was left very open-ended as to what Snively chose to do in STH#177.

Question #6 wrote:Would there be a chance for the Deep Power Stones be put in StH?

No. It's tricky enough to manage all the SegaSonic mystical items.

Question #7 wrote:Are you familiar with the character profiles at Sonic Channel? They give information on the game characters such as height, weight, age dislikes, etc. Is there any chance we could see such information about the comic exclusive characters? Not too important on a grand scale, but it'd be nice to have for comparison reasons and all that.

I am familiar with them and I'm disappointed they don't seem to be progressing beyond Metal Sonic. I would love more official word on subject like Dr. Nega, all things Solaris-related, G-Mel and Marine. We can wait and hope.

There was a standard of weight and height introduced in the Data Files a few years ago. Unfortunately they do not sync well with the information provided on the Sonic Channel profiles. Additionally, so of that information seems to change a little as the years go on. While a set of stats on everyone would be nice, I don't want to paint us into a corner.

Question #8 wrote:Are you aware of Sonic's Darkspine mode from Secret Rings? If so, what did you think of the form, and would you like to use it sometime?

As a blanket statement: you can rest assured I'm on top of 99.9% of all things SegaSonic, past and present.

Darkspine Sonic was an interesting alternate super-form but extremely inaccessible. Sonic gained the power from the World Rings, which existed only in the world of the book. Unless we returned to that setting, which is highly unlikely, I would say the World Rings - and thus Darkspine Sonic - are off-limits.

Question #9 wrote:Given the story on Julie-Su's history in SSS #11, Remmington is actually younger than both Julie-Su and Knuckles. How was he able to hold such a high position in the Echidna Security Team being younger than 17 when he held that position? Or, did he age faster as a result of being in the main zone while Julie-Su remained in the Twilight Zone until recently?

There are too many unknowns to answer that, sadly. Kragok was never said to have married so the lack of its evidence in SSS#11 doesn't amount to much. When he sired Remington, with whom, and how Remington wound up in Echidnaopolis instead of the Prime Zone are all totally unanswered. And while Remington certainly seems the adult, we cannot be sure exactly how hold he is.

That's a long way of saying: "I don't know."

Question #10 wrote:According to Snively's data file, his mother died while giving birth to him, yet when Snively's dad describes his trip in outer space, he mentions how Snively's mother "didn't survive the trip". Which of these is correct and which is not?

Unofficially I will have to go with the latter. A Data File is easier to correct than to explain away a line of dialogue. Should we ever explore Snively's origin more in-depth we may clarify this point.

Question #11 wrote:With Rowling's latest question and answer session. Revealing Dumbledore was gay. What exactly is your thoughts as a writer to answering similar kinds of questions? Are there boundries you have for what us the readers should figure out on our own?

As a reader, I enjoy such answers since they give me a deeper understanding of the writer's intentions. I'm of the camp that thinks that there can be "one true meaning" to a work, and that is the one the author intended. There are certainly other meanings, and their validity holds so long as the writer keeps his or her mouth shut, but there is ultimately one truth and that is what the writer writes.

I don't think it can apply so wholly to SONIC, however. What I write is built upon the intentions of numerous other writers, and one day there will be somebody else building off of what I have contributed. So when I answer these questions with my thoughts, intentions and explanations they are only for this brief moment in time. They're footnotes for you to see inside this particular age of the book. When the next writer comes along (later rather than soon, I hope - haha!) all of my intentions will mean nothing. New mind, new creativeness, new ball game. So enjoy these moments while they last.

SONIC fans are very analytical, so I try to sew in subtle hints of things to come. I try to create moments that may not seem like much now, but when you look in retrospect you see I've been planning this from the beginning. Fiona's heel-turn is one such moment. A number of revelations in "Enerjak: Reborn" will be there too, the most notable one right now being Remington. There are seeds planted for the events immediately after "E:R" and from there it's laying the groundwork for #200.

I try to give the reader all the info they need to piece everything together. I want you all to try to put it all together yourselves. But in the event something falls through the cracks, or I'm not clear enough, or I hid things too well, you have this forum as a resource. I don't want it to ever be said that SONIC is inaccessible. That goes for me, too.

Question #12 wrote:What Dr. Fin said about 90 percent of the echidna population... when exactly did this happen? Is this a result of the dingo regime, Eggman's Egg Grapes (which was only a one-time thing) or both? If the former, why hasn't Locke done anything about it?

A large part of the decimation came from the Egg Grapes and the "Return to Angel Island" arc. That wipes out the vast majority of Echidnaopolis's inhabitants. The Dingoes did there fair share, picking away until the Destructix arrived. Now Angel Island is devoid of echidnas except for the small handful that stayed with Lien-Da. The fate of Albion will be reveal next month, and there's plenty of speculation going on about the validity of Dr. Finitevus's claims.

Locke was initially overpowered by Eggman's invasion, which put the Dingoes in power, made the first major culling of echidnas, and put the Brotherhood in their current M.I.A. status. While Locke did oversee some of the rebuiling efforts (STH#151) he has grown increasingly focused on finding his forefathers and nothing else. Dr. Finitevus enabled this sway in thought when he brought the Destructix to protect the villagers - for the time being. Where Locke is now during all this will be answered during "Enerjak: Reborn."

Question #13 wrote:Has Harry the cab driver returned to dingo society, or does he still refuse to take an active side in the war?

Oh how I wish we had room in the comic to answer this. I do not believe Harry is well. He was discovered as the mole during "Return to Angel Island" and was not among those who escaped Cavem Canis (the Dingo city). So Harry has been in the company of Kage and the loyalist Dingoes for some time now. I doubt Kage was merciful.

Question #14 wrote:Any plans to return to the Wolf Pack?

I definitely have some ideas for Lupe and her crew. Like all the other Freedom Fighter groups I'll get to them when I can.

Question #15 wrote:Do you suppose Jet and the rest of them have any familiarity with Bean ("the Armada" and all that)? If the Battle Bird Armada ever does show up, will Tails have a large role in their defeat?

I would love to tell a story involving the Battle Bird Armada and make use of little things I've already hinted at. It's a question of time and accessibility to certain SegaSonic material.

Question #16 wrote:Since Rush Adventure is canon to the comic storyline, where does it fall issue wise? Also, will there be some explanation on how the apparently sentient Chaos Emeralds got out of the Special zone and into Blaze's world?

All going concerns about the Rush series' elements will be answered when we have the time to do so. The apparent will of the Chaos/Sol Emerands introduced in "Sonic Rush Adventure" has me scratching my head, honestly. I don't believe I want to mess with that until Sega has more made their intentions clear on that aspect of the gems.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius