Ask Ian for October '07 - Witty Title Pending

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby Aurora_Redwinters » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:15 am

Non-Sonic related question:

1. Is there any chance that the avatar size limit could be upped? (somewhere between 20-40 kb, which is pretty standard for many nice 100x100 icons)

Sonic-related questions:

2. I believe you mentioned before your interest in bringing back Nate Morgan. Is that still within the realm of possibility?

3. Is the Chosen One hoopla over and done with or is there going to be more to it?
Aurora_Redwinters
BumbleNoble

Postby zjstress » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:30 pm

1. Ian, do you ever browse through previous Q&A sessions just to see if your missing or forgetting something you promised a while back I.E. acknowledgement of the mural in RtAI?

2. Would you ever plan to bring in some old fan ideas of yours such as concepts from Other M, or 3B into the comic, or make it as dark?
zjstress
BumbleNewbie

Postby Radz the Hedgehog » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:46 pm

What's your take on the revelation of Sonic as the latest addition to the Smash Brothers Brawl roster?
Radz the Hedgehog
BumbleKnight

Postby Sockie » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:16 am

Will we ever see the Tails Dolls, Metal Knuckles, and/or any other metallic doppelganger aside from Metal Sonic?
Sockie
BumbleNoble

Postby Carl Fox » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:03 pm

zjstress wrote:2. Would you ever plan to bring in some old fan ideas of yours such as concepts from Other M, or 3B into the comic, or make it as dark?

Ian addressed this over on SonicHQ a while back :

Ian Potto wrote:I really, really, really don't like discussing Other-M for fear of it getting tangled in red tape. I don't know if it's a problem that I once worked on the book, but I've very much like to not risk undoing all the hard work the artists had done for me.

(...)

There will never be an OM-adapt in the official book. OM is not even remotely all-ages, skews the Sega-canon material to an incredible degree, and would alientate a vast majority of the readership. OM was fun at the time, but it's best to let it lie.

Original post is here.
Carl Fox
BumbleNewbie

Postby EHH123 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:09 pm

Two questions:
1. I know that some comics have editors that usualy make the big story choices and have writers make them do those stories. Is this how it is with you and Mike?
2. Why are you doing this Enerjak arc? Is it because you want to merge the worlds of Sonic and Knuckles more closely? If not, why?
EHH123
BumbleKnight

Postby Glaber » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:44 pm

When Sega wants you to do an adaption how do they go about it?
Glaber
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:08 pm

Answers for 10/7/07 - 10/13/07

Question #1 wrote:Has Sega ever imposed any changes on the Sonic X scripts since they are more strict with the Sonic X comic than StH?

I know a few SX scripts were out-right rejected. When those were, who they were by and why are all details I don't think I can part with.

I would say the criteria for SX is more strict than STH. The well-known "Cream embargo" keeps her and all closely-related characters exclusive to SX. Shadow isn't allowed to pop up due to being in stasis at this point in the continuity - perpetually. They've also made it clear they're not keen on game elements being incorporated. That said, we still have a fair amount of creative room to work with - as SX#26-27 will prove.

Question #2 wrote:I believe you mentioned before your interest in bringing back Nate Morgan. Is that still within the realm of possibility?

Nope. I had a very off-the-wall idea, but reviewing it with Mike, we concluded it was a little too out there. We know Nate was a Robian statue and in Robotropolis when it was nuked. I think we can safely assume he's radioactive slag at this point.

Question #3 wrote:Is the Chosen One hoopla over and done with or is there going to be more to it?

Pretty much. I think Tails has a great deal of potential to further explore his mystical side despite his current tech-based interests. But in terms of the Prophecy of the Chosen One and the Great Harmony, yes, I think we're done with that.

Question #4 wrote:Will we ever see the Tails Dolls, Metal Knuckles, and/or any other metallic doppelganger aside from Metal Sonic?

As always, nothing is set in stone until it actually sees print. That said, I'll answer with a hopeful "yes."

Question #5 wrote:I know that some comics have editors that usualy make the big story choices and have writers make them do those stories. Is this how it is with you and Mike?

Not at all. I have a great deal of autonomy when it comes to choosing the direction of STH (and SX to a lesser degree). Mike acts as a guiding force - what ideas work, what would be better used elsewhere, what will likely to get approval from all parties involved, etc.

Usually I'll come to Mike with the next story idea and pitch it to him. Half the time the concept is solid enough I can start work immediately and I iron out the kinks along the way. The other half we bounce it around, tweaking it until it works for both of us and I start in on it. Very rarely does Mike present the initial idea, and that's usually to see if I like it and can do anything with it.

Question #6 wrote:Why are you doing this Enerjak arc? Is it because you want to merge the worlds of Sonic and Knuckles more closely? If not, why?

Part of it is to consolidate the mythos of both books and bring some closure to elements that have been running since "Return to Angel Island," others longer than that.

Another part of it is I love the "Knuckles" side of things and want to keep it alive. I've tried to keep attention on it with stories like "Call of Duty" and "Enforcers," and this is the one arc where I can really get in deep with the material.

And another part is it's Enerjak. C'mon now - Enerjak! How cool is that? And I get to be part of it! All the plotting, planning and creation aside, it's just fun to work with the material.

Glaber wrote:When Sega wants you to do an adaption how do they go about it?

Normally all contact is handled by Mike Pellerito. He's the one who plays switchboard to everyone on our end and the Sega representatives.

Things start off with Sega contacting us with an interest for the tie-in. Provided there is enough time to do the tie-in, we're usually given the English script in its current state. I read through that and get the general ideas. And I do mean "general." There is a definite possibility details could be changed before the game's release. Also, as detailed in the previous session, there usually isn't time to do an in-depth integration of the new SegaSonic material with the Archieverse.

From there I write up the breakdowns/pitch for the story as I would for any other script. This gets scrutinized a little more closely than the average script, or so it seems to me, and sent back with whatever revisions need to be made. From there the process isn't any different than with your regular story, only with a much tighter schedule and closer critical eye.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby BlueFantasy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:01 pm

1) It was shown that the Bem could deroboticize any species, even those that were naturally evolved into metal, correct? So, did they make a choice not to un-mechanize the Dark Legion like they did with Jules? Or was there something else at play?

2) Regarding the board itself, is there a chance the character limit for sigs could be increased? My sig has 7 words in it, and hovers near the limit because of url bbcodes needed to make links.
BlueFantasy
BumbleKnight

Postby Sockie » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:10 pm

Would Fiona be reluctant to fight Ray? I mean, back in the KtE back-up arc with Mighty meeting up with her and Nic, she did seem to have sort of a friendship with Ray...
Sockie
BumbleNoble

Postby 2tailed » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:50 pm

1. Given how they ended up last time, will Heavy and Bomb be reappearing again?
2. Do you plan to ever have the Black Arms (having defeated the Xorda, I guess, by necessity) show up a la Shadow the Hedgehog?
3. How can so many characters do the Spin Dash when originally it seemed that the trick to doing a Sonic Spin was...being Sonic and having those sharp spikes?
4. Why does Rotor always stay home these days? Seemed like he was a fine Freedom Fighter back in SatAM.
5. What is your opinion on the Forty Fathoms Freedom Fighters? Is it weird to have talking fish talking to talking animals?
2tailed
BumbleKnight

Postby Luger » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:17 am

1.) Is New Megaopolis the same city the Overlanders lived in during the Great War, and abandoned after their defeat (and currently acts as the capital of the Eggman Empire)?

2.) Now that there's been an introduction to various alien races outside the Mobian solar system, do you have any plans to have Mobius play an intergalactic role at all, or will stories remain more-or-less focused with on-world events?

3.) How technologically advanced would you rate Albion as compared to the Dark Legion or the Eggman Empire?

4.) Did Kodos die when he fell into the canyon waaay back when (or to the radiation poisoning) or is there a chance he'll show up again down the road?

5.) After Knuckles' death, we got to see how rad red got to meet Vector and Mighty. Do these events retcon how they met in the Knuckles Chaotix special issue?
Luger
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:45 am

Answers for 10/14/07 - 10/20/07

Question #1 wrote:It was shown that the Bem could deroboticize any species, even those that were naturally evolved into metal, correct? So, did they make a choice not to un-mechanize the Dark Legion like they did with Jules? Or was there something else at play?

I would assume the left the Dark Legion alone since they were only partly robotic in nature. Since all the broo-ha-ha revolved around sentients that were either all organic or all robotic, and given Ceneca 9009 was already doing something illegal, it was probably thought best to leave any grey areas (i.e. the Dark Legion) alone.

Question #2 wrote:Would Fiona be reluctant to fight Ray? I mean, back in the KtE back-up arc with Mighty meeting up with her and Nic, she did seem to have sort of a friendship with Ray.

Given her actions in STH#172, I sincerely doubt Fiona would hesitate to act without Ray's best interests at heart. She's a selfish, vindictive character who is currently wallowing in her own "Dark" status, thanks in part to Scourge.

Question #3 wrote:Given how they ended up last time, will Heavy and Bomb be reappearing again?

I have an idea on how I'd like to portray them, but we really don't have anywhere for them right now. They're Sega-canon, so they definitely aren't gone forever. There isn't any immediate plans for them, though.

Question #4 wrote:Do you plan to ever have the Black Arms (having defeated the Xorda, I guess, by necessity) show up a la Shadow the Hedgehog?

The war between the Xorda and the Black Arms with the Bem being brutalized in the process was all orchestrated so that we could get Shadow's origin story (STH#171) without having to deal with a full-fledged invasion of Mobius. As long as the Black Arms don't show up, we can canonically say they're at war with the Xorda. If we ever did decide to break that stalemate, you can rest assured the invasion would be vastly different than it was in the game.

Question #5 wrote:How can so many characters do the Spin Dash when originally it seemed that the trick to doing a Sonic Spin was...being Sonic and having those sharp spikes?

To date the only other characters that can Spin Dash aside from the hedgehogs are Tails and Knuckles. Tails, having been under Sonic's tutelage for all his life, was bound to pick up on the move. Knuckles used it only during the Free Comic Book Day special. This move can be explained in two ways, and you can pick your favorite:

1) Knuckles' long-time rivalry with Sonic, coupled with his own prowess as a combatant and an athlete, allowed him to pull off the move.

2) It was a little SegaSonic cheat since the book would be reaching the hands of a far wider audience than the usual crowd.

Question #6 wrote:Why does Rotor always stay home these days? Seemed like he was a fine Freedom Fighter back in SatAM.

Rotor suffered serious trauma to his back in STH#175. He's still recovering and is making excellent progress. Since his election to the Council of Acorn, he has duties that remove him from the field. His position has been taken up by the far more able-bodied Tails.

Question #7 wrote:What is your opinion on the Forty Fathoms Freedom Fighters? Is it weird to have talking fish talking to talking animals?

I love them! They're terribly punny, but that's part of their charm. I would love it if we could spend some time investigating their efforts against the Eggman Empire, and I do have a story or two in mind if we ever get the chance. The chief problem, however, is our main character is in great peril around deep water, thus the ocean is a hard local to put him.

Question #8 wrote:Is New Megaopolis the same city the Overlanders lived in during the Great War, and abandoned after their defeat (and currently acts as the capital of the Eggman Empire)?

There seems to have been some confusion, or at least changes, over time. Going off the information the comics have presented over the years, I've been working under this mindset:

MegaCentral - listed in SSS#2, I believe this is the former capital of the Overlanders. When Colin Kintobor Sr. lead a vast number of his people into space, the city was abandoned.

(Old) Megaopolis - as referenced in STH#37 was an island city conquered by Dr. Eggman. Whether he had eradicated the Overlander population from here or it had been abandoned after the Great War is unknown. It's all moot since the whole place was blown up.

New Megaopolis - presumably the city of the Overlanders who stayed behind after the Great War. This city was cleansed of its population during the First Robotnik War (post-coup, pre-STH#75). We saw one of its inhabitants in SSS#6.

I would like to think many of the Overlanders fled to Station Square and other hidden human enclaves. When Colin Kintobor Sr. returned with his people they all eventually moved on to Station Square, and ultimately, the rest of the United Federation.

Question #9 wrote:Now that there's been an introduction to various alien races outside the Mobian solar system, do you have any plans to have Mobius play an intergalactic role at all, or will stories remain more-or-less focused with on-world events?

No, I don't have any plans to investigate the outer cosmos. We paid homage to "Tossed in Space" in the emerald-gathering sequence during "Order from Chaos" (STH#168-169). The Black Arms have made their murderous way through the stars and are currently destroying the two greatest powers we encountered; the Bem and the Xorda. We have plenty to do on the ol' terra firma.

Question #10 wrote:How technologically advanced would you rate Albion as compared to the Dark Legion or the Eggman Empire?

Albion is far beyond the Dark (Flame/Frost) Legion and perhaps a couple of generations beyond Dr. Eggman. However, that comes with two provisos:

1) Albion technology has stagnated. They evolved rapidly and achieved great things but turned inward. They live in a utopia, but at the price of being shut out from the rest of the world and influences that might inspire their technology into new directions.

2) Dr. Eggman is an adaptive genius. Hypothetically speaking: if they were put at odds, all Dr. Eggman would really need is the element of surprise. He might suffer heavy loses, but he would be able to figure out and counteract the Albion defenses. That's all conjecture at this point, though. That said, "Who would win in a fight?" is always a fun question.

Question #11 wrote:Did Kodos die when he fell into the canyon waaay back when (or to the radiation poisoning) or is there a chance he'll show up again down the road?

As much as I like Kodos, he's dead. If the magical fire didn't do it, and the fall didn't do it, the radiation poisoning which was already rapidly eating away at his higher brain functions would've killed him by now.

Question #12 wrote:After Knuckles' death, we got to see how rad red got to meet Vector and Mighty. Do these events retcon how they met in the Knuckles Chaotix special issue?

Not necessarily. Knuckles' reactions to their appearances could be argued for or against evidence of a retcon. Regardless, we should take the flashback story after Knuckles' death as canon.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:33 am

Wow, came into this week's too late. Ah well, first for next, I suppose. Hope you don't mind if I sprinkle a little opinion with my questions (which I bolded for ease):

Question #7 wrote:
What is your opinion on the Forty Fathoms Freedom Fighters? Is it weird to have talking fish talking to talking animals?

I love them! They're terribly punny, but that's part of their charm. I would love it if we could spend some time investigating their efforts against the Eggman Empire, and I do have a story or two in mind if we ever get the chance. The chief problem, however, is our main character is in great peril around deep water, thus the ocean is a hard local to put him.

This reminded me: Sonic used to be able to swim earlier in the series (Sub-Sonic Speed). Is that still valid, or has he taken to a more SegaSonic "water=bad" mentality?

To date the only other characters that can Spin Dash aside from the hedgehogs are Tails and Knuckles. Tails, having been under Sonic's tutelage for all his life, was bound to pick up on the move. Knuckles used it only during the Free Comic Book Day special. This move can be explained in two ways, and you can pick your favorite:

1) Knuckles' long-time rivalry with Sonic, coupled with his own prowess as a combatant and an athlete, allowed him to pull off the move.

2) It was a little SegaSonic cheat since the book would be reaching the hands of a far wider audience than the usual crowd.

I'd really like it if that were kept, personally. Supposing you do, think the move could be evolved, maybe into some sort of team-maneuver?

And, as for the main part of my question: it seems Sonic's going to be picking up some new moves in what are essentially non-canonical games over the next few months. For starters, it looks like he'll have a nice moveset based on what he can do and what he's done before in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Gotta love the pavement-shattering kick in his debut trailer. Anyway, think if a new move (or even basic moves) comes up in Brawl, we could wind up seeing it implemented into his fighting style in the comics?

On a related note: Sonic and company fencing at the Olympics. I know the Olympics are probably out (I'd be nothing short of amazed otherwise), but the thought of a sword-or-other-like-object fight strikes me as a little appealing. Think we could ever see Sonic duel Eggman or someone in such fashion? I have one idea where he could learn such skills... shouldn't be much of a stretch, oui?

And lastly, just the idea of the Olympics got me to thinking. Do you think we'll ever see a time in the Sonic comic where Eggman isn't the ruler of the planet? I know they ditched him for awhile once, that didn't last too long. But I mean put him in the position of hunter (for dominance) than the hunted?

Or would that make it too much like Sonic X?

I ask, as I do have to wonder just how far you can go in a story where a status quo like this remains perpetually.

Hope these weren't too bad. ;P

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Tonberry2k » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:32 am

We've had a lot of Sonic cartoons over the years, and each one has characters specific to that cartoon. In each cartoon, Robotnik also has a unique "sidekick."

Adventures of sonic the Hedgehog; Scratch, Grounder, and Coconuts
SatAm; Snively
Sonic Underground; Sleet and Dingo
Sonic X; Decoe, Bocoe, and Bokkun

1) Which group do you like the most?
2) Although the cartoon was pretty terrible, I always thought the idea of Sleet and Dingo was pretty cool. Any chance of them ever showing up in the comic? We HAVE seen that their zone exists, and villains zone-hopping isn't unheard of.
Tonberry2k
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius