Ask Ian XXVII - Let's Try that Again

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby dragoonanime » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:56 pm

1) Will eggman ever go back to the way he was before issue 200?

2) Have you ever thought about bring characters in from the DIC cartoons or the sonic ova?

3) When did you decide to change the iron queen from dark magic to technomagic?
dragoonanime
BumbleCitizen

Postby Frontier Psychiatrist » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:57 pm

First of all, I'd like to thank you for taking the time out of your insanely busy schedule to tackle our questions. There aren't very many writers out there with the magnanimosity or the desire to do things like this. I've only got one question, myself:

Your portrayal of Dr. Eggman is easily my favorite of them all. He's ruthless, cunning, wild, inventive, selfish, affable (if anyone disagrees, just look at that scarf), and monstrous all at once. Though Snively always has a scathing remark and his sanity has given him the slip ever since the "Road to 200," he has generally been a competent threat without the decay exhibited by his Sega counterpart. He is always an entertaining read for me and I am always pleased to see one of my favorite villains portrayed well. I suppose my question (I apologize for my inane rambling) is this: How would you summarize your Dr. Eggman's personality (pre-insanity, of course), and what inspires the way that you write him?

Thank you kindly for your time.
Frontier Psychiatrist
BumbleNewbie

Postby Gigazubyte » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:08 pm

1:What are your thoughts on doing stories set in the past at some point in the future, like more 'Tales of the Great War' or a look at the forgotten war with the Order of Ixis?

2: I know you don't look at fan material to avoid being accused of intellectual theft, but how do you feel about the reverse? That is, fans using ideas that you specifically have added to the mythos. I know some writers really hate it, and others find it flattering.
Gigazubyte
BumbleKnight

Postby shinginta » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:40 pm

1:If you had to cast Nathan Fillion for voice actor for any character on the cast, who would it be?

2: Have your attitudes about certain characters changed between reading them as a fan, and writing them as an author years later?

3: I have the feeling this's been asked already, but skimming through the past questions thread, I couldn't find it- Who's your favorite currently-running-comic author? eg: Bendis, Fraction, Millar, etc.
shinginta
BumbleNoble

Location: Aperture Science Enrichment Center Non-Discriminatory AI Disposal Ditch

Postby Illustrious Q » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:55 pm

2. Just wondering about the possible joke comic from February's Ask Ian session. Any word that you can give on it or has it been placed on hold?
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby Vampfox » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:18 pm

1. What character do you have the hardest time writing dialogue for?
2. Looking back do you wish that you could do some of your past stories differentially?
3. Are we ever going to find out the fate of the original Lara-Su, who was last seen in issue#109?
Vampfox
BumbleCult

Postby SonicGTR » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:44 pm

Haven't seen this in a while. Cool.

1. Any plot ideas for the "Elemental Wars" mentioned back in SU #8? (yes or no will do.)

2. A while I back, I had asked you what King Max had meant in his statement "Yes, I suppose.." from STH #178. I recall that you left us with half of an answer to that. Any new developments concerning this?
SonicGTR
BumbleNewbie

Postby shigamado » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:01 pm

1. Can anyone here send in fan funnies? I got lots of ideas. :D

2. If you had to start over and make your own Freedom Fighters who would they be?

3. Have you ever written a script where the artists went somewhere completely different from what you had in mind?
shigamado
BumbleClan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:08 pm

1. Any ideas for a return to sonic x?

2. If so will we see El Gran Gordo?
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Luger » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:03 pm

1.) Was the High Councilor who was hired/bribed by Lien-Da to assassinate Dimitri in StH #108-109 also the Dark Legion candidate who replaced Benedict as the Dark Legion's elected member of the High Council (briefly mentioned by Dimitri in KtE #24)?

2.) What were some of your objectives when writing Birthright Part I? I'm specifically curious about why you chose to write the story focused more on Kragok's character than Luger's.

3.) Why did Kragok and Lien-Da consider Moritori Rex more of a father if he was off in Mobius Prime acting as Tobor?
Last edited by Luger on Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Luger
BumbleNoble

Postby WinkingSamurai » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:59 pm

1.) I'm curious about the offhand comments made by Vector and Ray in SU #9 about detective work being an important part of being a Chaotix member. Was this just a small homage to the SegaSonic Chaotix, or was this the beginnings of a retcon?

2.) Since Sonic's parents and the other formerly-roboticized mobians spent a decade in their roboticized state, does that mean that they're still physically the ages they were when they were first roboticized?

3.) This question might be a bit premature, so I won't be insulted if you can't answer it yet. Is Eggman's current bout of insanity in the comics part of a larger plan to bring his personality closer to the one he has in the Sega games, where Eggman isn't so much a cruel dictator as much as he is an childish instigator?
WinkingSamurai
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:01 am

(moved my question later on and changed it)
Last edited by Mavrickindigo on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlur » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:03 am

1. Do you plan ever write your own Sonic Special?

2. When can we expect to see Fiona again?

3. Do you have anymore of your own original characters that you'd like to introduce in StH or SU?
SonicBlur
BumbleFan

Postby Adamis » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:16 am

1. Are we going to see more devellopment for Blaze and Silver? Blaze only appeared in SU1 and Silver was knocked out for almost 2 issues...

2. Why did you create Perfect Tikhaos?

3. Did you let the M30YL story unfinished on purpose? (Nobody knowing King Shadow is out, we don't really know what happens to Tikhaos...)
Adamis
BumbleNoble

Postby 2tailed » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:15 am

1. Sega has allowed the comic to use certain recent-game characters in certain ways, and some have barely appeared in the comic at all. Do they keep tight reins on the more obscure characters/plotlines from older games that haven't yet appeared in the comic? (I'm thinking specifically of the Battle Bird Armada, but there are a few others.)

2. Which has more sway regarding what characters, etc., appear in the comic: constant demand in these forums, or constant requests in Sonic-Grams?

3. What does a comic book writer like yourself do to earn the rest of your money?

P.S. Thanks for giving this another shot. It's such a generous way to give even more to fans than you already are.
Last edited by 2tailed on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2tailed
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius