Ask Ian XXVII - Let's Try that Again

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Ask Ian XXVII - Let's Try that Again

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:18 pm

The Rules wrote:"Ask Ian" Rules

(1) I'll Post Answers Once a Week(ish)

I'll be taking questions from Sunday to Saturday each week. Saturday 11:59PM is the cut-off for new questions, and new answers will be posted the following Sunday. That's how it use to be, at least. I'll try to follow that format, but if answers are late-in-coming, just assume I'm buried under work. Answers will come.

(2) Three Questions Each

You get three questions per week. You don't have to ask three, and it doesn't have to be all at once. And none of that tricky "sub-question" stuff that's popped up. If you put some kind of variant on there, I'll count it as another question to be fair to everyone else. Play fair!

(3) Why Not Everything is Answered

I'll be picking the questions I think will benefit everyone reading, so don't be heart broken if I skip over yours. I'm not playing favorites. Also, there's some questions I simply can't answer for behind-the-scenes reasons. In rare occasions, I can't even say that I can't answer! If your question doesn't get answered, it's best to save it for later or move on to something else.

(4) Let Me Do the Answering

I want this feature to be all about official information, and there's a very select few folks here who count as official. Unless you have a link to a forum post of mine or the exact issue and page numbers, your answer isn't going to be "accurate." So save yourself the hassle and let me handle it.

(5) Where'd My Post Go?

As I said, I want this to be info-rich. There's a whole forum for discussion. So if I feel like your post is distracting from the thread's purpose, it's gone. So keep things neat and tidy for everyone else, okay?

Additionally, I'm asking folks to consider doing this brief survey for a friend's research thesis. We both appreciate it.

So....questions?
Last edited by Ian Flynn on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby FairFieldFinder » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:37 pm

#1. What made you want to change Anti-Sonic into Scourge?

#2. What was your favorite story to write for?

#3. Would the Archives series ever reach issues, such as 124 or so?
FairFieldFinder
BumbleClan

Postby Mr Saxon » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:59 pm

Hooray, Ian your back!

1. How long were you planning to bring back the Iron King and Queen as major villains?

2. Were you inspired by Sonic The Comics depiction of Robotnik going insane when you decided to make Eggman go fruit-loops?

3. Why did you decide to make Lightning Lynx the Destructix member to get more focus over the other members?
Mr Saxon
BumbleKnight

Postby Excelhedge » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:09 pm

OMG OMG OMG :P

1) Will "ask Ian" be a regular thing again or is this one-month-one-shot?

2) Dimitri's not stuck in "Limbo" like some other charecters is he?

3) Will we be getting any hints on the next few Sonic universe arcs? (besides what's being going to be revealed this week.)
Excelhedge
BumbleKnight

Postby Milox » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:17 pm

1) *pushes scotch taped coke bottle glasses up bridge of nose* Do the deity / demigod figures (Anceint Walkers, Feist, Mogul, Naugus and the like) exist in the parallel universes, or is there only one?

2) Removed the horrible dupe (accompanied with facepalm)
2beta) In the inevitable event of your departure from the comic (many many years from now) Do you intend to look at the fan content?

3) Prior to your tenure as writer, what was your personal favorite arc in the Sonic Comic?
Last edited by Milox on Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Milox
BumbleClan

Postby Big Al Son » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:20 pm

1. Are you bring back villains Mogul, Naugus, Scourge and Fiona Fox back soon?

2. How are other nations, such as the Federation are dealing with the Iron Dominion or going to?

3. How come you left Mogul, Naugus, and Fiona Fox out for a while?
Big Al Son
BumbleKnight

Postby theJcfreak » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:26 pm

Oh wow, been waiting for this day!

#1) What other comics inspire and perhaps influence your work?

#2) How do you come up with names for new characters?

#3) What do you think of the new information Penders has released on everyone's favorite walrus?
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby Illustrious Q » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:43 pm

1. Back in StH 200, I was blown away when Doctor Eggman snapped and his Black and Red eyes were revealed. My question is how did you manage to get SEGA to approve that?
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby Penguin God » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:49 pm

1. Antoine and Sonic's banter seems to have reappeared quite suddenly (which is simply odd, not in any way unwelcome.) Is there a specific reason for that?

2. How did Lien-Da overload Dimitri's system without visibly touching anything?

3. Sonic and Tails are working as partners a lot recently, even for them (once again, in no way unwelcome.) Is there a reason for this as well?
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby kryptyk » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:03 pm

Oh glory!!!! The long awaited day has finally arrived!!! Thank you Ian!!!:D

1. Given that you have been doing a lot of cleaning house and removing characters that weren't contributing much to the comic, what are you doing to make sure the new elements and figures you are introducing won't follow the same path?

2. Since you've been revisiting older plot points for current stories like the Dragon Kingdom and it's denizens, would you ever consider doing something else- such as the mutates? We haven't seen them since #70 and it just seems wasteful to know there are these giant monstrosities all over Mobius, but they're barely ever around.

3. I know you're trying to avoid Deus Ex Machina alot and made access to the Master Emerald & Chaos Emeralds limited, but doesn't it seem strange to you that in the entire 15+ years of the comic's history that we have not once had a single super transformation during an anniversary issue?
kryptyk
BumbleNoble

Postby bsonic10 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:07 pm

1) How does the ranking system in the Eggman Empire's DEL work? More specifically, would the Grand Master of the Echidna DEL in New Megaopolis (Lien-Da, and previously Dimitri) have more power than the Grand Masters of other Legions (like the Platypus Legion in Downunda), or would they be equal in power/sway?

2) I know this was asked a while back, and I'm not sure if the answer has changed any, but do you have any plans to include back-up stories in SU this upcoming year or beyond?

3) Again, not sure if you can/want to answer, but can we expect the next few SU arcs to be 4 issues, or will they be shorter?
bsonic10
BumbleClan

Postby Duuz Diz Din » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:30 pm

Sup'

1. What's Dulcy been up to?

2. What does Queen Alicia do in her spare time?

3. Anything in the works for Saffron?
Last edited by Duuz Diz Din on Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duuz Diz Din
BumbleNoble

Postby StrudelB » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:30 pm

1. Which character is the most fun to write: Bean, Marine, or insane Eggman?
StrudelB
BumbleFan

Postby Mustachio » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:52 pm

1) I remember hearing that Omega was supposed to be used for #175 but mandates at the time wouldn’t allow it or something. Forgive me if you can’t answer this or you have in an older FAQ but I’m dieing to know: what would have been Omega’s role in #175 if you were allowed to use him?

2) Without getting too specific, can we expect to see more United Federation City-States in the future, like ones from the games (Soleanna, Unleashed locations, etc.)?

3) Will we ever see a Sonic Universe arc that features a villain? Or even just an issue or two?
Mustachio
BumbleClan

Postby jazzyjin » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:46 pm

Back in the day. You did a feature where you asked us for feedback about the series. You mentioned that some of our feedback would be taking into account in the future.

Have you already started incorporating our feedback in the current arc or is it still on the way?
jazzyjin
BumbleFan

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius