Ask Ian for Jan'09 - New Year, Old Favorite

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:40 pm

1. In the games, Metal is a recurring villain, while in the comics we've Metal Sonic is spades. What are the chances of seeing a recurring Metal Sonic model as an adversary?

2. So the echidna population has reached a minuscule level and what remains has been taken to Albion, almost completely removing them from Angel Island. Did any other species get removed from Angel Island or are they assumed to still be on the Floating Isle?

3. You mentioned one of your reasons for killing Tommy was that he added nothing to the Freedom Fighter team. In your opinion, what could a potential new freedom fighter bring to the table?

4. I don't have the spare cash to buy Chronicles yet, so I've been deprived of one of my only two chances to see one of my favorite characters. Is there any chance I can see G.U.N. Commander in the comics?

5. The Sonic Multi-verse is obviously limitless. Recently we've seen the Prime Zone, Moebius, Sonic X verse, and Special Zones. From the looks of things, we seem to be going to Blaze's dimension and the No Zone pretty soon. Are there any other verse's you plan to visit sometime in the comic's run?
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Questions

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:12 am

1. Had Bunnie not been partially roboticized, would she have developed NIDS like Buns, or is that one of those things that wouldn't necessarily have happened?

2. Is there any chance of Mathias Poe making a comeback, or is he dead like the other magicians?

3. Do you have any sort of reasoning behind why Spectre looks different from the other Guardians, or is that just his personal style and not the result of some interesting history?

4. Is there any chance of Bunnie or Jules being restored to fully organic states at some point, or are they just going to be left as they are?

5. Will Black Doom and the Black Arms be making an appearance anytime soon?
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Sockie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:40 pm

You've mentioned that you'll be using Sonic Universe to rebuild Knuckles' rogue gallery, but will Shadow also be getting his own?
Sockie
BumbleNoble

Postby Legionfan44 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:18 pm

I finally have enough extra time to get online again! yay!

well I only have a few Questions this time..So here goes.

1. Will We see the 6S in a main story or backstory in STH ot SU this year?

2. It seems that gamma will be in su#3 will we learn what he's been doing all this time since the end of th Sonic adventure story arc.

3. on the cover of SU#1 it shows Blaze & marine, would you say marine is a good a side kick as tails is to sonic, or is she just completly usless & annoying.

4. in the preview of the cover for STH#199 it looks like the Dark legion is planning somthing, will they be getting there freedoom soon? or better getting rid of the bombs robtnik put in their systems?

5. ok final question. Will we ever see chaos or Tikal again in STH or in SU?

Thank you for your time mr. Flynn. :)
Legionfan44
BumbleKnight

Postby Para » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:26 pm

1. What runs the economy in Acorn Kingdom and the rest of Mobius? Do they use some sort of money, or is it a trade and barter type system? (I can't recall ever actually seeing anyone have to pay for anything, come to think of it..)

2. How restricted is travel and trade between the different countries now, as opposed to in the earlier Knothole-era time?

3. Is there a reason Mighty stayed behind in New Mobotropolis instead of going back to Angel Island with the rest of the Chaotix?

4. Is there a reason Ray didn't stay behind with him?
Para
BumbleNoble

Postby Bleeding Fingertips » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:59 pm

I know this has been awnsered before but I can't find it.

How do you write the script for the comic?/ example.
Bleeding Fingertips
BumbleCitizen

Postby Excelhedge » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:03 pm

1)In sonic Universe will we see anymore Blended/Parody Zones???

Pic is for example purposes only. Not Fan Idea (as I too lazy to scan in some Paradoy zone pics)
Last edited by Excelhedge on Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excelhedge
BumbleKnight

Postby Legionfan44 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:17 pm

[quote="Excelhedge"]1)In sonic Universe will we see anymore Blended/Parody Zones???

Pic is for example purposes only Not Fan Idea (as I too lazy to scan in some Paradoy zone pics)

I would love to see an anime parody in SU! but i think a DBZ parody would make the most since...cause you know,,super sonic, super sayin, 7 chaos emeralds 7 dragon balls, all though I guess somthing like FMA, or Death note would be parodible as well (Shadow as light & silver as L...LULZ!) :(hearty laughter):
Legionfan44
BumbleKnight

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:18 pm

Legionfan, questions only.

Postby Sir Bert Leaman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:58 pm

1. I realize it was nuked but will we ever return to the ruins Robotropolis to discover how the bubble is maintained and/or what remains?

2. What are the Substitute Freedom Fighters (those who aren’t council members) up to these days?

3. How does Bean entertain himself when not on a job?

4. Could we ever hope to see some of the long since seen characters like the Nerbs or even Car-heem to ever make an appearance in the book again, even if it’s a small appearance?
Sir Bert Leaman
BumbleNoble

Postby nuckles87 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:04 am

1. What audiences do you consider when you write for the Sonic book?

2. Which audience takes priority?

3. What made you decide to go with such action heavy plots in the book?

Edit:

4. Did you...drop Dubs on his head one day? Or was he always like this?

5. How do you deal with Dubs' pure awesomeness overshadowing your less awesomeness?
Last edited by nuckles87 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

Postby Dub » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:53 am

So Ian.

I haven't asked you questions in a while. I think that needs to be rectified. >8D

I feel that now is an opportune time to do so since it's the end of the month and we'll be getting a full moon sooner or later. Gotta keep up my quota. So let's see if you can find the underlying theme to today's $20,000 Pyramid question set:

1. How has ARETHA FRANKLIN'S HAT helped you to become a better Sonic writer?

2. Many feel that Scourge would have been a much better character if Tracy had designed him wearing ARETHA FRANKLIN'S HAT instead of that silly black tiara. Why did you instruct Tracy to use said tiara instead of ARETHA FRANKLIN'S HAT?

3. Everyone knows that ARETHA FRANKLIN'S HAT trumps the Chaos Emeralds and Anarchy Beryl in every way. ARETHA FRANKLIN'S HAT is more powerful than the Egg Grapes, the Sword of Acorn, and the Egg Fleet combined. Knowing and embracing this staunch fact, if Doctor Eggman got a hold of ARETHA FRANKLIN'S HAT and placed it on his head would that automatically be the end of the book for all the characters? There would be no way to defeat him!

4. Mammoth Mogul gets into a fight with ARETHA FRANKLIN'S HAT. He replaces the Chaos Emerald in his chest with it and immediately proceeds to sing the National Anthem in cold weather killing all who stands before him. Who is at fault for letting this happen?

5. Shadow gets ahold of ARETHA FRANKLIN'S HAT and puts it on his head. Sonic retaliates with EARTHA KITT'S CATWOMAN SUIT and and Scourge joins the fight with several copies of DELLA REESE'S TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL. Who wins?

I hope you realize that I only ask these questions to help make you become a better writer! APPRECIATE MY EFFORTS! And remember people, questions in this thread only! (Also Toby says hi.) <83
Dub
BumbleCreative

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:53 am

We're already half way through January. Where does the time go?

Question #1 wrote:Do you consider the "afterlife" to be the same across the multiverse?

That's not something I've considered before, honestly. I'd think each zone would have its own unique afterlife, or lack there-of. I don't know if we'll ever get to address that.

Question #2 wrote:You mentioned a while back (as I recall, I could be wrong) you were toying with the idea of General Brass taking over in Station Square or launching a coup or something. Any chance this plot or something similar will come to fruition this year?

I believe that was a Karl Bollers idea. I don't have any such plans.

Question #3 wrote:I know you're an extremely blessed man because you have a job doing what you love, but is there a time where the fun crosses the line into actually feeling like work?

There are some days where I just don't feel like writing, or when the workload gets especially heavy. And I've always hated revision, despite its necessity. But those are all passing grumbles.

Question #4 wrote:Here's a question you may not be able to answer, but here goes. Have you received the script for Black Knight yet or are they even wanting you to touch it?

I don't know if I can comment on it at all just yet. Sit tight.

Question #5 wrote:Once again, maybe asking a question, you probably won't answer, but on the matter of super forms, are they proportionate to the original power of the person, ie, since Sally is weaker than Sonic, would her hypothetical super form be weaker than SS?

Not to delve into too much detail, but no, there wouldn't necessarily be a proportionate difference.

Question #6 wrote:Have you met all the Sonic staff in person or even at all?

I've met Tracy Yardley, Matt Herms, Jon Gray, Jim Amash and Teresa Davidson.

Question #7 wrote:Last question, speaking of Mobian TV, do they watch shows through cable, satelite, or some other sort of medium?

I'm not well-versed in how that kind of media is trasmitted in the real world, so I couldn't hazard a guess. I'm going to copout and say "nanites" for now.

Question #8 wrote:What's the point of "new realm-building" for Knuckles when it will probably just get convoluted like the last one and you'll have to kill off practically everyone involved with it again except for him?

It probably will be a bit dense, admitably, but that will stem from me building off the source material. The history that has come before hasn't been changed; I'm just adding to it. I'll (eventually) be looking at different angles, inject a few new ideas, but the history of Knuckles remains unchanged.

Hopefully this will stick since it's built with Knuckles in mind. The purging that I did removed the excess - the parts that didn't add anything to Knuckles at all. Each new element will be built with Knuckles in mind, not his society, not the echidna people in general, not the etheral.

Question #9 wrote:Considering what you've already done, if you suddenly decided to permanently destroy everything significant and kill off most of the people important in Sonic's life like you did to Knuckles, just how badly do you think the rest of us readers would take it?

Cheeky. Firstly, I did no such thing to Knuckles. His mother, half-brother, girlfriend and closest friends are still alive. One of his first (echidna) friends and mentors - Remington - is alive and well. His father is gone, but in an action that proved the love of his son. And the Brotherhood's fate remains unknown. His most notable villains - Gen. Helmut von Stryker and the Dark (Egg) Legion - all remain. What's gone are the seas of nameless, faceless echidnas that didn't fit with the theme of a gruff, often solo, tribal-esque character like Knuckles.

The question I think you're asking is "how do you think folks would react if you off'd the Freedom Fighters and leveled New Mobotropolis?"

I think there'd be about three equal camps of response. The first would obviously be outrage over the loss of their beloved characters. Second would be cheers from those who have long felt the supporting cast is superflous to the idea of "Sonic." The third would be the new readers who might find the devastation interesting, but wouldn't necessarily get what all the hub-bub was about.

Question #10 wrote:In the course of filling in the burial plots within your "character graveyard", are there any that you did put there and now regret doing so from a personal or practical standpoint?

I still miss M a little, albiet only a little. Somebody here pointed out that A.D.A.M.-Tommy was a pretty cool villain, and I can't disagree. But everyone gone went for a reason and I think the book's stronger for it. No regrets.

Question #11 wrote:Why did you write your follow-up to M:25YL the way you did, when there does not appear to be the slightest perceivable correlation between it and the status quo in the present?

Aside from Rotor, Knuckles, Tails, Lara-Su, the city of Portal on Angel Island, Lien-Da's family, and Queen Sally?

When I was asked to wrap up M25YL, I was given the following directives:
- eleven pages per story
- there must be a King Shadow

I added one of my own:
- Lara-Su needs to be awesome

One of the tropes of any time-travel story is that fiddling with the past will affect the future, and probably not in the way your expect or want. Heck, Ken Penders did that himself during the Green Knuckles Saga. Couple this with the insufferably pig-headedness of King Sonic (pre-finale) and I had all I needed for a quick morality tale.

(Old) King Sonic, who didn't seem to give a fig about his title or family, brazen jumps into the past to fix the future. When he returns he finds he's been forgotten by time and lost all he had gained in his life. What Tails and Lara-Su find is the humbled (New) King Sonic. New perspective on life, same heroic attitude. The rest was bringing things back to the old status quo - King Sonic re-crowned and next to Queen Sally, Knuckles a good-guy, and Lara-Su shown to be just as kick-butt as the generation before her.

Question #12 wrote:At what point and how did the overlander/human territories expand from just "Station Square" to this whole "United Federation?"

That's something I'm very eager to get into at some point. Quick and totally unjustified answer: it's always been there, we just didn't know it.

Question #13 wrote:The money Mina raises for the war effort, Who owns it and decides what to do with it? Mina, Ash, or someone else and how is distributed?

Who said there was money involved? Maybe she did free concerts.

Question #14 wrote:Where did Mina go when she was on tour? Did she just go to the cities and towns around Mobuis or does she to places where people are fighting Eggman and some USO type stuff for other fighting groups at the battlefields?

Both. Raise morale on the frontlines and build support at home.

Question #15 wrote:What is the makeup of Eggman’s current sub bosses roster around the world? Like are they all robots and robotized people that still haven’t turned back to normal. Or do they include Mobuins and Overlanders that decided to side with him.

That's something we'll be touching upon this year and hopefully delving into deeper in the future.

Question #16 wrote:The Japanese back story says that Nack/Fang says he’s part wolf and part weasel. What is the Archie version part wolf and part weasel too or at does he have a wolf and a weasel for parents maybe?

I think the book has always just called him a weasel. I'd like to work in that "wolf-weasel" side of him at some point.

Question #17 wrote:I've a question from the latest issue, regarding the "come-down state" of the Anarchy Beryl. Namely, why would it do that? I understand the whole "opposites" thing, but at the same time, that seems like a rather out-of-left-field idea for Sonic to comprehend, since most of the "opposite" stuff seems to apply to the morality of the characters and how that follows.

It extends beyond morality, though. Dr. Kintobor was skinny before I got to him. Sunken Island was physically different, as were the sizes of the Anarchy Beryl when we saw them. The Kingdom of Acorn was physically in ruin - arguably a result of the moral decay, but still a manifested sign of change. Mobius seems to be a garden world beyond Robotnik's influence while the Anti-Freedom Fighters didn't have to look far for a poisons body of water to dump Sonic in on Moebius.

It's better to think of Moebius as the "Anti-Mobius" over the "Evil Mobius." Things are inherently "wrong" there. It can't be a perfect one-to-one ratio (Scourge the slow, apathetic Yellow Lizard) but it can lean towards the negative side of things.

Question #18 wrote:Do you think that you would do another arc that is as long as "Bold New Moebius" was?

Oh, I know I will. Longer, even! But not quite as compact, so hopefully it will feel less overbearing.

Question #19 wrote: Whatever happened to Rosey at the end of the "Bold New Moebius arc?

You'll just have to wait until we return to Moebius to find out.

Question #20 wrote:Do you have any plans for E-102 Gamma in Sonic Universe?

I most certainly do. It's long overdue for a resolution.

Question #21 wrote:Is it possible that Spaz can do the art in one of the stories?

If he ever has time, sure.

Question #22 wrote:Is it the prime Sonic, the Sonic of Sonic X or some Sonic from a new world on the Cover of SU #1?

Sonic Prime.

Question #23 wrote:maybe it's a bit late for this, but, aside from the differences in tone, which shared characters between sonic X and StH did you approach the same, and which differently?

Honestly, everybody was a little different and it was because of the tone. Sonic and the rest of the main cast looked at the world in a gentler, more innocent way. Sonic's always very light-hearted in his approach to his heroism, but the SX-Sonic had significantly less angst. The Chaotix were much more comedic themed, and Dr. Eggman...well...c'mon. El Gran Gordo. Need I say more?

Question #24 wrote:Which universe is Fiona in, mobius or moebius?

Mobius.

Question #25 wrote:Will we be seeing characters like Silver, Blaze, Marine, Shadow, Metal, etc. on a regular basis, or just once, and a while, like Shadow currently has?

Most of the newer SegaSonic cast will be more like the occasional guest star.

Question #26 wrote:If we see G.U.N. can we expect humans like the Commander, or other Sonic creatures like Rouge as soldiers to be seen as agents?

G.U.N. is made up primarily of humans and Overlanders since they protect the United Federation. There might be the odd mobian, but it's mostly humans/overlanders.

Question #27 wrote:In the last batch of answers you said that Psudo was smashed by the F4. Of course wernt the Classic Badnik hoard smashed by the same group too?

Granted, but there were more still in the Robo Hobo Jungle, and conceivably more outcasts when Robotnik moved on to the SWAT Bots as the standard.

Question #28 wrote:Is there still a Sonic in Eggman/Robo-Robotnik's old Dimension?

We only have Robo-Robotnik's word on this, and he said he managed to blow that Sonic up.

Question #29 wrote:Does Eggman even keep track of his old dimension?

Probably not. He won there and moved on.

Question #30 wrote:Was Gamma's return always on the cards or did public demand swing it?

I've always wanted to finish Gamma's story. Things fell into place with SU#003, and I'm very happy with how it came out.

Question #32 wrote:Any Chaotix action upcoming in the near future?

You might just get sick of all the Chaotix you'll be seeing.

Question #33 wrote:Have you got any plans for the Power Rings?

As a matter of fact, I do. We'll be seeing the Lake of Rings in action this year.

Question #34 wrote: Who would win in a fight? Writers or Pencillers?

We writers are a wily lot, but the pencilers are armed with pointy objects and are (arguably) crazier than writers. They also outnumbers us ten to one.

Question #35 wrote:Will the following changes at Diamond (listed below) affect the sales of the Sonic the Hedgehog comic book in any way?

"In a change that will have a far greater impact, according to numerous reports, Diamond is raising its benchmark for products it will carry from $1500 to $2500. ...the short version is that unless orders to Diamond on a product are consistently greater than $2500 at wholesale, Diamond will no longer carry the product."

This is the first I've heard of it. I'm fairly confident SONIC sells well within that range.

If not, this might just be a good thing. Diamond has had a near monopoly on comic distribution for nigh upon a decade. Dropping some of the smaller frie (so to speak) might give other start-up companies an "in," and it might anger the bigger publishers enough to shake things up.

We'll all just have to wait and see.

Question #36 wrote:Exactly how far ahead of the comics are you in terms of written material?

We're usually about six months ahead of the currently published issue.

Question #37 wrote:Could you please tell us the whole story of the Benny Lee/Karl Bollers thing? I get that it was really Karl Bollers, I was just wondering why he used a pseudonym.

Tempting as it may be, that's Mr. Bollers' albatross to bear. It's none of my business.

Question #38 wrote:I think you may have misunderstood my question, so I'll try to phrase it a little better this week.

In Sonic Adventure, it is stated that Sonic uses the positive energies of the Chaos Emeralds to transform into Super Sonic. However, the negative energies can also be used to induce a transformation, as seen with Perfect Chaos. My question is, is this what Scourge is doing, and if it is, is this why his Super form is unlike the other traditional Super forms?

Excellent scenario example - I miss the point, or the wrong side of the question is answered. Ask again! Clarify! In this instance, I get what's being asked this time around.

In answer - no, Super Scourge is the same as Super Sonic. If Scourge had used the Chaos Emeralds, he would appear the same and have the same powers. Likewise, Sonic could've used Anarchy Beryl to turned into his usual Super Forme. The difference is the after-effect: a positive little boost from the Chaos Emeralds or a heavy negative drain from the Anarchy Beryl.

Question #39 wrote:I had a thought. Would the humans/Overlanders in the book still consider Mobius to be called Earth? Or do you think that would just cause needless confusion?

I think that would be a beautiful nuance to play with that I'll never have the time/space for. I'd think the human populations left over from the hide-out from the Gene Bomb would have a movement - perhaps small, perhaps large - to maintain that it's "Earth." Others would have moved on, or in the case of the Overlanders, they largely grew up with it being "Mobius."

Question #40 wrote:There have been instances where Marvel and DC joke about each other in their comics, even going as far as very vaguely mentioning about the other somehow in their arrangement of alternate dimensions. So saying this, out of the multiple Sonic universes out there, is there a Sonic Fleetway universe?

I don't think I can get in trouble for saying "sure, why not?" Due to a nasty misunderstanding a few years back there will be no mentioning of StC in STH ever again. I don't think a little conjecture could hurt, though.

Question #41 wrote: We saw them get their butts kicked by Scourge, but will the Moebius population of Echidnas be safe from your wrath? XD

Given that Mobius has such a small population, it would make sense Moebius held on to all of theirs, doesn't it?

Question #42 wrote:Are we ever going to see the story about how Knuckles and Espio met?

They first met in the Knuckles Chaotix Special, now reprinted in Sonic Select vol. 2.

Question #43 wrote:Likewise, are we gonna see a reason for his changed personality besides the games dictated it?

What change? He was fairly reserved before hand. Seeing the destruction wrought on Angel Island and the Golden Hive Colony may have made him get a little more serious about things, but that'd be about it.

Question #44 wrote:Since the Dingoes are the predominant species now on Angel Island and warlike, would the Chameleons' presence create more warmongering for them?

Probably not given that the chameleons seem content to live in seclusion. The dingoes are still stuck in the heart of the Sandopolis Desert to boot, so nobody is in a position to get war-like with anybody else right now.

Question #45 wrote:Any chance you'd delve into the past of Vector?

A teeny bit, yup.

Question #46 wrote:If eggman were not so obsessed with defeating Sonic and focused more time on the empire, would he handle the day-to-day stuff or just delegate it.

I don't think he thinks in a "day-to-day" kind of fashion. He thinks in big, broad strokes - outside of "kill that hedgehog." He's invested in multiple projects and experiments, leaving all the maintenance and construction to his machines or Snively. That's all taken a bit of a back seat to Sonic lately, but normally that'd be how he went about his business.

Question #47 wrote:If someone makes a comic or story that has a plot idea you had planned to use, do you have to change it?

I'm assuming this is on the topic of fan-fiction, and that all depends on the situation. I'm very publicly adamant about not reading fan-fic and dodging fan-material that might sway me at some point down the line. This is for my own protection and for the sake of everyone else's intellectual property. We also work about six months ahead of the currently published material, and most fan-works (at least when I was among the fan-creatives) seem to stem mostly from the current issue or story arc.

All that said, I'd think you'd have a heck of a time proving we did something identical to a fan-creation. I'd dare say it's impossible, but there's a lot of creative minds out there. There's bound to be a little bit of conceptual over-lap at some point.

Question #48 wrote:Was there a specific reason why in the past Archie just used the Green Emeralds in the book even though from the beginning of the games there were always the 7 different colors?

If there was I don't know it.

Question #49 wrote:Will we see any story of Sonic put to the test by Feist for a Chaos Emerald in the near future?

Sonic? No. Someone(s) else? Yes. Whenever Sonic does return to the Special Zone, though, he won't get off so easy. The Grey Chaos Emerald was a gift for services rendered - everything else he'll have to work for.

Question #50 wrote:If you could totally restart the continuity for a character from the main Freedom Fighter group (not Sonic) who would you pick?

Eh...it's a toss-up between Amy, Tails and Sally. Rotor, Bunnie and Antoine are all either very well done already or have so little there's not much point to doing over. There's aspects of Amy, Tails or Sally that I wouldn't mind undone and rebuilt, but I don't have the luxury of doing that. Nor would I at this point, I don't think. It's a much more interesting challenge as a writer to work with what I've got than to just so "do over!"

Question #51 wrote:How did the pitch for Sonic Universe go with Sega and Archie?

I actually had a very, very small hand in all of it. From my understanding it was Mike Pellerito championing the notion of another spin-off. SONIC UNIVERSE has been in the planning stages for a long time, and I was brought in on it only once it was approved and SONIC X's end set.

Question #52 wrote:Will Matt Herms be coloring more issues any time soon?

I don't know what Matt's schedule is, but I'm pretty sure he'll be coloring something this year.

Question #53 wrote:Why was Shadow trying to access the Special Zone?

Why indeed? You'll just have to pick up SONIC UNIVERSE #1 to find out.

Question #54 wrote:Where did Tails go in 196? He just sort of disappears mid-fight, and isn't even in the group shot afterwards.

He was there, just not there-there. It's not a plot point or anything, he just didn't get featured in the art. He returned to Mobius with everyone else.

Question #55 wrote:Are there any Sonic games you HAVEN'T played?

Mostly the obscure ones. I've not played SegaSonic Arcade, and I never did really play G Sonic. Everything else I've at the very least dabbled in.

Question #56 wrote:why was Metal Sonic in the Special Zone?

He . . . wasn't? Metal Sonic teleported from Mobius to Moebius in STH#195, and then into SX-Earth between STH#196 and SX#40. The Special Zone never really factored into any of this. All will be explained in SU#001.

Question #57 wrote:What do you consider Blaze's world to be in the comic? A seperate zone in the multiverse or a pocket dimension in the Prime Zone (kind of like the Special Zone)?

Until the games prove me wrong, I'm saying it's a whole different zone, like Moebius.

Question #58 wrote:This one's about Amy. When I said precious, I was assuming Amy was at least a very close friend to Sonic. So is she just an acquaintance? And if she isn't why does Sonic value her as a close friend?

I think you're trying to express a nuance to their relationship that just isn't there. Sonic cares about her like he cares about Antoine, or Bunnie, or any of his friends. He's very simple in his relationships. Amy is absolutely smitten with him, and he knows that. He doesn't begrudge her having those feelings (until she starts to get on his nerves), and he doesn't reciprocate them either.

Question #59 wrote:The next ones are follow up questions because I felt that the answers I got were a bit too vauge at points for me to understand. When you say Sally provides direction to his ever moving lifestyle, how do you mean that specifically. Like, on a given day how does that usually play out?

When the question is about the thematics of individual characters' interactions, you can't have specifics. When asking about such in-depth character studies, the answer isn't a specific point in time or a panel that can be referenced; it is a general look at what elements they have and how they interact. It's like asking how Oedipus and his mother felt about each other and answering "he killed the sphinx."

In the terms of how Sally impacts Sonic's life, it means she can - and often will - give it direction. Sonic can do whatever, whenever, and not put too much thought behind it. She provides specifics - the where, then when and the how. It's not like she orders his lunches for him, but she would have a suggestion while he half-attentively glanced at the menu. Of course, in that scenario, he'd go with chili dogs anyway, but that's besides the point.

Question #60 wrote:If the sonic rush adventure is cannon when did it happen? like between which stories or something...

It is canon and we'll be addressing it in SU#001. (wow that one issue's getting a lot of traction this week) As to when it happened - at any given point between major story arcs.

Question #61 wrote:Why do Silver's speech bubbles have a blue border around them?

I . . . really don't know. That was added in after the fact. Maybe to help him stand out in the sea of hedgehogs?

Question #62 wrote:Do you have any plans to resurrect the Freedom Fighter Special? I know it seems kinda pointless since we have warp rings now, but still.

The Freedom Fighter Special is still around. I'm more inclined to use the Tornado, but we might trot it out at some point.

Question #63 wrote:So the echidna population has reached a minuscule level and what remains has been taken to Albion, almost completely removing them from Angel Island. Did any other species get removed from Angel Island or are they assumed to still be on the Floating Isle?

We have visual evidence the Fire Ant settlements, and I'd assume any of the non-echidna residents seen around in Echidnaopolis would've been caught too. The chameleons probably fared the best and hid out in Rainbow Valley.

Question #64 wrote:I don't have the spare cash to buy Chronicles yet, so I've been deprived of one of my only two chances to see one of my favorite characters. Is there any chance I can see G.U.N. Commander in the comics?

A very, very good chance.

Question #65 wrote:Are there any other verse's you plan to visit sometime in the comic's run?

Not especially, no. STH#197 will actually shed some light on that.

Question #66 wrote:Had Bunnie not been partially roboticized, would she have developed NIDS like Buns, or is that one of those things that wouldn't necessarily have happened?

You'll note that Buns's case developed in the base of her spine. Bunnie's is, at least in part, roboticized and thus neutralizing the threat of infection.

Question #67 wrote:Is there any chance of Mathias Poe making a comeback, or is he dead like the other magicians?

Sir Connery said he'd slain all the dark magic users, so I'm assuming he was thorough.

Question #68 wrote:Do you have any sort of reasoning behind why Spectre looks different from the other Guardians, or is that just his personal style and not the result of some interesting history?

I definitely have an idea for an origin story that'd explain that. Maybe one day I'll get to tell it.

Question #69 wrote:Will Black Doom and the Black Arms be making an appearance anytime soon?

Nope.

Question #70 wrote:You've mentioned that you'll be using Sonic Universe to rebuild Knuckles' rogue gallery, but will Shadow also be getting his own?

Not yet since Shadow needs his entire sub-world built up first. Once we've established his supporting cast and setting, then we'll look into giving him somebody to struggle against on a regular occasion.

Question #71 wrote:It seems that gamma will be in su#3 will we learn what he's been doing all this time since the end of th Sonic adventure story arc.

Yup, we'll find out what he's been up to.

Question #72 wrote:ok final question. Will we ever see chaos or Tikal again in STH or in SU?

Yes....maybe. Kinda. Sort of. You'll see.

Question #73 wrote:What runs the economy in Acorn Kingdom and the rest of Mobius? Do they use some sort of money, or is it a trade and barter type system?

I think it's a very small, self-contained mercantile system. You probably have a good chance of paying for your dinner with the same mobiums received from a morning purchase.

Question #74 wrote:How restricted is travel and trade between the different countries now, as opposed to in the earlier Knothole-era time?

It'd be much more open, but much more dangerous. Traders don't have to worry about sneaking in and out of Knothole, so goods can conceivably come and go much more freely. At the same time everything is now out in the open, and New Mobotropolis has a nice big target painted on it. On Mobius in general, I'd say it's largely unchanged.

Question #75 wrote:How do you write the script for the comic?/ example.

Writing Sonic - Info Megathread

Question #76 wrote:In sonic Universe will we see anymore Blended/Parody Zones???

No. They were fun in the past, but at this point I want any time spent else-zone to have more purpose to the plot than to be a sight gag. (Not that there was anything wrong with it in the past, it's just not how I'm handling the book)

Question #77 wrote:I realize it was nuked but will we ever return to the ruins Robotropolis to discover how the bubble is maintained and/or what remains?

I plan on us actually seeing it this year, but I don't know if we'll get to delve into its mysteries.

Question #78 wrote:What are the Substitute Freedom Fighters (those who aren’t council members) up to these days?

Until I get the time / think of something: enjoying civilian life.

Question #79 wrote:Could we ever hope to see some of the long since seen characters like the Nerbs or even Car-heem to ever make an appearance in the book again, even if it’s a small appearance?

Highly unlikely. I love using old continuity, but some of it is simply too old. I did put in a nod to Weeet during "Order from Chaos," though, so you never know.

Question #80 wrote:What made you decide to go with such action heavy plots in the book?

Initially it was because the general consensus was that the book was too plot-heavy and slow paced. When we saw an uptick in sales, I figured if it ain't broke, don't fix it. That said I have heard folks saying it's been a little too actiony lately. I'll see if I can't work some slower moments back into the book.

Question #81 wrote:How do you deal with Dubs' pure awesomeness overshadowing your less awesomeness?

BANNED! ....and HOUSE EGG'D!

Eighty questions. Whew! And this needs to be revised. But it's 7AM and ya'll want your answers, so I'll proof-read later. Enjoy!
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby FairFieldFinder » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:36 am

#1: You and Dub seem to have a good laugh with each other. Would you say you get along well with the rest of the Archie staff?

#2: I've seen Omega on the covers of SU: #3 and #4. Will he have any more appearances?

#3: Can you accept any fan ideas at all?

#4: Who would you pick as the ideal comic team for the next big project like StH: #225? I'd have Spaz doing cover art, (maybe with Tracy planning how it would look). Tracy doing interior. And Matt Herms doing colours.

#5: Will Omega's relationship with Shadow and Rouge mirror that of in the games?
FairFieldFinder
BumbleClan

Postby nuckles87 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:10 am

#1. Since you are going to be building up Shadow's world, do you plan on building it in a fashion that will make it manageable in the event of SU's cancellation?
nuckles87
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius