The C&W and TT Thread of Memories

Forum for the Dubworks blog, home of Jonathan Gray's webcomics: Chip & Walter and Time Trouble!

The C&W and TT Thread of Memories

Postby FritzyBeat » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:22 pm

I PM'd Ian about posting a new thread in the "Rubber Chickens & Pie Desert" and he said it was ok. :P

So, as a lot of you might remember, Dub's comics "Chip & Walter" and "Time Trouble" were actually rather popular webcomics way back in the day, and had a relatively lengthy run for webcomics at the time.
I unfortunately was a late comer to the Chip and Walter series, as I only started reading it just before it was taken of the internet, and due to this I only made it most of the way through the first act of C&W, and barely started TT. I still remember a lot about the series though, and learned quite a bit about the pages I missed through some old forums =)
Things like:
Spoiler: show
Mr. Twister's disembodied hand :P

and other creepy stuff like that.

So, this is a thread to talk about the long gone glory days of Dub's comics
Chip and Walter
Time Trouble
and all the things that happened in them during their original run.

Also, keep in mind that this thread may contain some massive spoilers if Dub decides to follow his original story when he eventually reboots the series. So be considerate, and try to keep most of the major possible spoilers in spoiler tags. :)
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Re: The C&W and TT Thread of Memories

Postby FritzyBeat » Sat May 04, 2013 1:41 pm

Wow, just look at all the memories we're resurrecting :P
I'm going to make one last ditch effort to keep this thread alive by asking a quick question about the Chip and Walter and Time Trouble comics thats been bugging me for a while (just in case there are some people other than me who actually read a little of the original series).

As I only started reading the comics just before they were taken down, I never did get to fully complete either of Jon's comics. So I was wondering, exactly how many pages was Dub able to crack out before the comics stopped updating altogether? :?
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby theJcfreak » Sat May 04, 2013 7:02 pm

Took a couple hours of digging, but there were at least 300 strips between TT and C&W. I find nothing beyond C&W #150, which apparently ran from 2001-2006. TT seems to have had 150 strips as well and also ran from 2001-2006. All I've been able to find so far.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby FritzyBeat » Tue May 07, 2013 5:49 pm

theJcfreak wrote:Took a couple hours of digging, but there were at least 300 strips between TT and C&W. I find nothing beyond C&W #150, which apparently ran from 2001-2006. TT seems to have had 150 strips as well and also ran from 2001-2006. All I've been able to find so far.

Wow, where did you do your digging? :shock: I've been looking all over for that information and couldn't find it.

Makes me sad as I was only able to read up to about (or just before) Page 100 in the C&W Series, meaning I missed over 200 strips between the two.
Maybe someone will make the original pages available for download as a zip or something some day, I miss those old pages :(
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby theJcfreak » Wed May 08, 2013 11:26 am

TheMobian wrote:
theJcfreak wrote:Took a couple hours of digging, but there were at least 300 strips between TT and C&W. I find nothing beyond C&W #150, which apparently ran from 2001-2006. TT seems to have had 150 strips as well and also ran from 2001-2006. All I've been able to find so far.

Wow, where did you do your digging? :shock: I've been looking all over for that information and couldn't find it.

Makes me sad as I was only able to read up to about (or just before) Page 100 in the C&W Series, meaning I missed over 200 strips between the two.
Maybe someone will make the original pages available for download as a zip or something some day, I miss those old pages :(

I was looking through archived pages. Unfortunately none of the actual comic pages were archived save for the last strip of each. I did manage to snag some of Dub's old Sonic redesigns though since most of those were still intact. He had a ton of old fanart too, but unfortunately most of that wasn't archived.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby Dub » Wed May 08, 2013 2:13 pm

theJcfreak wrote:I was looking through archived pages. Unfortunately none of the actual comic pages were archived save for the last strip of each. I did manage to snag some of Dub's old Sonic redesigns though since most of those were still intact. He had a ton of old fanart too, but unfortunately most of that wasn't archived.

Thank heavens. That stuff was awful. (hearty laughter)

TheMobian wrote: I still remember a lot about the series though, and learned quite a bit about the pages I missed through some old forums =)
Things like:
Mr. Twister's disembodied hand :P

and other creepy stuff like that.

Skip liked to call him Cuddles. <83

So, this is a thread to talk about the long gone glory days of Dub's comics
Chip and Walter
Time Trouble
and all the things that happened in them during their original run.

Even the computer funeral?

Also, keep in mind that this thread may contain some massive spoilers if Dub decides to follow his original story when he eventually reboots the series. So be considerate, and try to keep most of the major possible spoilers in spoiler tags. :)

Not if, when. I finally have a schedule down that will work for me and my backlog is getting bigger...

The way I want to handle it is that Chip and Walter will relatively follow the same pace that it did before with the story being altered/fleshed out a little more in key areas. When I get to the "Wetbread's Observatory" portion of the story is where it will change considerably.

Time Trouble will also tell the same story as before, but be approached in a vastly different and expanded manner to flesh out the many characters that really needed it and also to expand on the 3 core generations of the main cast. Almond and Nougat via Gen 0 are the interludes that tie things together as the main story switches between Gen 1 (The Timekeeper, the Wizard and King Doberman) and the cast that got the the most focus previously - Kirk, Luis, Lienne, Lucky, Sarah, Kat and Sterling representing Gen 2. That way I'm not rushing it like I was last time and everyone I want to get focus gets it. I'm actually a lot happier with the plot map that I have saved for myself this time around (unlike my previous attempt).

You'll see how it goes once I get things up and ready to go.

As I only started reading the comics just before they were taken down, I never did get to fully complete either of Jon's comics. So I was wondering, exactly how many pages was Dub able to crack out before the comics stopped updating altogether? :?

300+ in total, 150+ each. I didnt upload the ones that I'd completed past that, but the updates for both comics were in tandem with each other which is exactly how I burned myself out pretty quick. I won't be making that mistake again.

NEVER. (hearty laughter)

Trust me, you won't miss them when you see the new/redone material. I'm really proud of the new stuff I'm creating to replace it and this time I'm not rushing it out just to make the dates. Perhaps in the notes I'll put up a few of the old pages to the new ones for comparisons sake, but that's about it. I'm gonna do this kaboodle right.
Dub
BumbleCreative

Postby theJcfreak » Wed May 08, 2013 7:24 pm

Obligatory hurry up and release it already message

Actually I'm hoping you'll be showing off some of the comics at any cons you go to this year. Have you got any plans for that? Any previews or anything?
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby Dub » Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm

I **REALLY** wish I could. Unfortunately any travel that I had planned for this year, unless some drastic changes are made to my schedule and free time, are out. This is primarily due to the bevy of traveling I've had to do recently (Birmingham, the passing of my father, and everything else up to now). My only travel time I have left is Christmas and I dont want to squander that :(
Dub
BumbleCreative

Postby theJcfreak » Wed May 08, 2013 10:29 pm

Aw man that sucks. :cry:

Best of luck though and I'll at least watch this space for news and info on the upcoming comics.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby SurrealBrain » Thu May 09, 2013 4:32 am

I never read the old strips, unfortunately. However, I hope when the new version comes around, I'll have some memories to share here. Until then, though, I'll just be sad about passing up a great opprotunity. :cry:
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby apprentice manta » Fri May 10, 2013 3:57 am

Jon, I'm so sorry to hear about your father passing away. I do remember reading some of your old blog posts, such as the one where you discovered you were an uncle. Does anybody call you Unca Scrooge? I don't think I could resist the temptation. I never commented on the blog because 1. I didn't have a deadjournal account, 2. I didn't know you as well as some of the older Mobius Forum members did & thus didn't feel I had the right the Paparazzi Blitz you w/ questions & comments then.
I read the Chip & Walter comics, but not Time Trouble which for some reason wouldn't load properly. Probly my favorite scenes involved the tragic villain backstory
accidentally shooting his parents during an argument. The hysterical, weeping adolescent & the police officer's horrified but sympathetic facial expressions really make that scene powerful. I still point it out when I hear the "Dub only draws comedy, can't handle serious business" complaints.
I also liked anything w/ Bradley. He was humorous, & often a brat but there was one moment where he sincerely comforted a distraught Nick, towards the end of the series' run if IIRC. I'm sure he would rather have been comforting Nicole though. Details, details.
I also don't think the fanart was terrible. Maybe LaraLe's flower child design counts as awful but that was more of a wardrobe malfunction. (Let's just be thankful LienDa never had one of those. At least one of her leather catsuits came w/ zippers so crisis averted?) I remember the Team Artail pics, particularly the Ant & Bunnie logo where she hangs a 'Do Not Disturb' sign & grins. Of course there was the LNR scenes but thankfully I've had enough brain bleach & Drano cookies to forget MOST of that trauma. Maybe I replaced them w/ memories of the 3B fan-comic as well as the scenes you did for that one Dan Drazen story (the one that opened w/ Tails playing hockey. A major plot point was how Knothole Village was 3 hrs ahead of the rest of planet Mobius, a random concept intro'd in an old Archie Sonic issue, barely referenced in-series, & then dropped w/ little or no fanfare. Drazen used it to prevent a chara death & make Tails more of a hero & not just a little kid sidekick. It was a bit like the Time Turner scene in Harry Potter, despite being written a few years earlier.) I don't remember if that comic was ever finished or if the site only had preview pages, but I'm like 99% convinced you were the penciler. If I remembered that wrong, I apologize for de-railing the thread.
Keep on being awesome & when you get the chance if you can show us any previews of the Chip & Walter revisions I'd appreciate that, but no pressure.
apprentice manta
BumbleNoble

Postby FritzyBeat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:58 pm

For those of you who didn't know: Dub apparently caved in recently and posted a bunch of pages from his original runs with Chip and Walter and Time Trouble On his deviantART page!

It was a great joy to see those pages, esspecially for me since I had never gotten far enough into the story to have seen them before. So I was finally able to read them again for the first time :P

Thank you so much for posting those few pages up Dub! They were a great joy and inspiration to see!
I'll be spamming this thread topic later with questions based on those pages you can be sure ;P
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby FritzyBeat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:19 pm

As promised, here are the pages Dub posted on his DA of Chip and Walter and Time Trouble:

Chip and Walter: (spoiler'd for image sizes and spoilery goodies)

Time Trouble: (Spoiler'd again for the same goodies + a little gore :3 )

Dub was also kind enough to upload a few other old pictures from his comics:

As most of you can probably guess, I was (and still am) the happiest person of all to see these pictures uploaded by Jon Gray. It makes me feel all fuzzy Inside X3

Abyss: Fffffffuzzy inside you saaaayyy? Shall we look and sssseeeee???

Mobi: Bwarg!
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby CaleTheCat » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:38 am

...Wow. Just... WOW.

...I see now why you like Dubs, Mobie... I really do.

Now if you'll excuse me... I need to go and find my brain... Or what's left of it anyway.
CaleTheCat
BumbleClan

Postby pakopako » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:23 pm

CaleTheCat wrote:Now if you'll excuse me... I need to go and find my brain... Or what's left of it anyway.

Funny... misspuar only just mentioned LNR...

-=Pako "No-I-Will-Not-Post-It" Pako=-
pakopako
BumbleNewbie

Next

Return to Rubber Chickens & PiE