New Project Idea - Monthly Story + Your Input!

Forum dedicated to the ongoing, patron-driven series "Raiders of the Abyss"

Re: New Project Idea - Monthly Story + Your Input!

Postby ShadowBat20 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:25 pm

I more than likely won't be able to donate any money, unfortunately, but I'm definitely keeping my eye on this project. Both ideas sound interesting, not sure which I would rather have.
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

Postby SamCyberCat » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:30 am

I really hope that I have the money to be able to take part in this when it starts, since the project sounds like a lot of fun. Definitely leaning towards #1, though both sound cool.
SamCyberCat
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:25 pm

Here's a statistic for you - at most, 11% of the people who have looked at this thread have actually voted. Don't be shy, people! Yea or nay, your feedback helps me out.

Here's a question for those of you who did vote in the affirmative: is your decision an all-or-nothing thing? If one option wins out over the other, would you still back the project, or would you walk away?

This isn't meant to condemn, or single out or anything along those lines. It'll help be better understand the numbers I'm looking at. If there's X number of votes for one project, I know whether to count them as "maybe" votes for the other or not.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby SurrealBrain » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:52 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:Here's a statistic for you - at most, 11% of the people who have looked at this thread have actually voted. Don't be shy, people! Yea or nay, your feedback helps me out.

Here's a question for those of you who did vote in the affirmative: is your decision an all-or-nothing thing? If one option wins out over the other, would you still back the project, or would you walk away?

This isn't meant to condemn, or single out or anything along those lines. It'll help be better understand the numbers I'm looking at. If there's X number of votes for one project, I know whether to count them as "maybe" votes for the other or not.

I voted for number two, but I'll be happy to support this project when I can, whichever one gets picked. I have enough faith in you either way that I'll be happy even if the one I voted for doesn't get picked.

So you have my support, money or not. That's my stance.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby Sonicpolo » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:54 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:Here's a question for those of you who did vote in the affirmative: is your decision an all-or-nothing thing? If one option wins out over the other, would you still back the project, or would you walk away?

I'm a big fan of both Sci-fi and fantasy, so I would still back the project if the one that's chosen isn't my chose.
Sonicpolo
BumbleCitizen

Postby Tango the Hedgehog » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:42 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:Here's a question for those of you who did vote in the affirmative: is your decision an all-or-nothing thing? If one option wins out over the other, would you still back the project, or would you walk away?

I voted for option one, 'Restoring Gloria,' but the other definitely sounds interesting as well. I'll back it either way, if I can afford it.
Tango the Hedgehog
BumbleFan

Postby SamCyberCat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:00 am

Ian Flynn wrote:Here's a statistic for you - at most, 11% of the people who have looked at this thread have actually voted. Don't be shy, people! Yea or nay, your feedback helps me out.

I think option one sounds the most interesting to me, but I'd still like to back the project if option two wins the votes. At the end of the day, these are only synopsises and I'm getting a cool story out of it either way. I just hope I can afford it when the time comes.
SamCyberCat
BumbleCitizen

Postby Drawloverlala » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:27 pm

waaaw! i loved option 2!
its very interesting!
i love science fiction! and definetly i feel the story could have a great future! i mean
the story can get well spent... without losing strength....

i wish to know soon how Mr. Ian developed "Jamie"'s personality...
Drawloverlala
BumbleFan

Postby Astrobot7000 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:27 pm

Are you saying that the monthly goal for all donators to recieve the new chapter is $10 per month in total, or per person?

By that I mean, if I give you $1 per month, and nine others also give you $1, we all get the chapter?

Or do I have to contribute $10 a month, toward an even higher goal, for all donators to get the chapter?

It make a huge difference.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:53 pm

Astrobot7000 wrote:Are you saying that the monthly goal for all donators to recieve the new chapter is $10 per month in total, or per person?

By that I mean, if I give you $1 per month, and nine others also give you $1, we all get the chapter?

Or do I have to contribute $10 a month, toward an even higher goal, for all donators to get the chapter?

It make a huge difference.

You can contribute however much you want. One dollar, five dollars, twenty - it all goes towards the monthly goal. What I set for the monthly goal will be what I think is reasonable in terms of "number of interested supporters" times "$10." That's why I'm holding the poll - if there isn't enough support, then there's no point in setting even a small goal.

If you can't do ten dollars a month, that's fine. Some can do more, some can do less. I'm just using ten as my base number since I think it's a reasonable average of what folks can afford.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Astrobot7000 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:57 am

Since it seems you do want honest feedback, even if it is critical, I don’t think I could support this project for any more than $2 a month. For $10 a month I could buy two full novels on my Kindle (or 10 full novels, if I went to a used bookstore). Likewise, I could purchase Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe, and Mega Man for $10 a month through subscription prices. This is likely more content than a “mini-chapter.” Without knowing the approximate number of words that entails it is hard to know. I might even only be willing to pay $1 if the chapters are really short. I also have concerns about getting invested in a story, and paying money for it on a consistent basis, only to have it dry up due to a lack of community interest. If I were garaunteed an ending if the support were to end, I would be more willing to jump aboard. Even if that ending is only a chapter or two to quickly tie up all the loose ends. Otherwise, it's kind of terrible to the readers (especially the ones willing to pay higher prices) because their comrades decided they didn't want to play any more.

I understand the appeal of guiding the story along through crowd decisions and it is actually quite an excellent and exciting idea, but if the number of votes goes by the number of dollars the voter donates it would essentially make my vote almost worthless anyway. Kind of like selling the senate seat through a rigged election (Illinois humor).

Please do not misunderstand; I would certainly support this project. I just could not be able to justify $10 a month. I understand that people are allowed to donate what they want, but you seem to want honest feedback of what people would be willing to pay. For me personally it is a tough sell.

Summary: It’s an awesome idea, and I would be happy to support it, but only for a $2, maybe even only $1 if the chapters were truly "mini."
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:46 pm

All fair points, and I appreciate the directness.

I don't expect everyone to throw the same amount of money in the pot. As I said, the ten dollar mark is a ballpark figure. In terms of the actual dollar-for-page rate, it's criminally low. But I don't expect to be crowd-funded at an industry rate, so I'm trying to keep it accessible. The idea is enough people put in so that nobody has to pay alot.

Like, let's look at your three comics example. These books have thousands, sometimes ten thousand-and-more buyers. The $2.99 per book you put in, when multiplied by that magnitude, covers production costs and licensing fees. There's also ad revenue coming in from companies that put their ads in the book. Or in the case of the Kindle books, you've got the printed version providing the bulk of the profit and the publishing industry at large with it's system that I'm not even going to pretend I know all the ins-and-outs of.

Then you have me, one dude typing up a minimum of ten pages a month, approximately 5,000 words+, funded by - at this rate - maybe one hundred people. I definitely understand wanting to get your money's worth, but it's like comparing a corporate farming network to someone's backyard garden.

(Which isn't to belittle the vote of confidence of that one hundred - it's rather humbling to have that many people voice their support on faith alone)

As for the pay-by-vote, as I said at the start, I'm not 100% married to the idea. If people are throwing in votes in the x5 and x10 range, I think it'll pan out. If it becomes evident that the pay-by-vote thing is royally screwing up things, I'll do away with it.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Matt7325 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:04 am

I'm in Ian. I like #1 more but I'll go with #2 if that's the popular choice. You are welcome to my sexy Australian dollars.
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Postby Yarcaz » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:56 pm

I like it and will support you Ian Flynn wholeheartedly! :D
Yarcaz
BumbleFan

Previous

Return to Raiders of the Abyss