Concept art ahoy

Forum dedicated to "Sylvanna" by BumbleKing and Gloryhound Productions

Concept art ahoy

Postby Chordsy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:01 pm

I thought I'd share some of the older stuff with you guys in this thread... some of you may have seen some of these. Hope they're largely new for the majority of you, however:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

More to come..!
User avatar
Chordsy
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:42 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Concept art ahoy

Postby FritzyBeat » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:25 pm

Wow, these all look really awesome!
I love looking at and studying concept art a lot, Just looking at the structuring of locations and characters without all the colour overtop is something that I've always found very intersting, and this is some great stuff indeed!
I esspecially love the location designs, and the facial expression info will be most helpful if when I draw my own fanart of the series.
I look forward to seeing more :mrgreen:
User avatar
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan
 
Posts: 3027
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Up in the cold cloudy night sky~

Re: Concept art ahoy

Postby Chordsy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:42 am

Why thank you! Definitely going to have more..!
User avatar
Chordsy
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:42 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Concept art ahoy

Postby Night the Cat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:11 pm

I love this. Concept art is one of my favorite parts of any project or game. :)
User avatar
Night the Cat
BumbleNewbie
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:03 pm
Location: Frog Forest

Re: Concept art ahoy

Postby Chordsy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:35 am

Night the Cat wrote:I love this. Concept art is one of my favorite parts of any project or game. :)


Excellent! Here's s'more:

Image Image Image Image
User avatar
Chordsy
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:42 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Concept art ahoy

Postby Aelius » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:36 pm

It's neat to see how the designs and style evolves through development. Cool material here!
User avatar
Aelius
BumbleNewbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:46 pm
Location: GA, USA

Re: Concept art ahoy

Postby FritzyBeat » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:27 pm

I love the expressions you put on Xixa in those sketches.
I must say, of all the characters I've seen so far, Xixa has by far been the most interesting for me. I mean, A god-like being who knows everything thats ever happened and everything that will happen, who's also a little spacey and doesn't take her "job" seriously? Awesome, I'm also a big fan of non logical plans, and that design is just so awesome!
User avatar
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan
 
Posts: 3027
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Up in the cold cloudy night sky~

Re: Concept art ahoy

Postby Night the Cat » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:35 pm

I love the idea of floating islands. They just look so cool. I also like Halcyon's design, especially in the test page. He almost looks more like a gargoyle than a bird with the way his beak is shaped.
User avatar
Night the Cat
BumbleNewbie
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:03 pm
Location: Frog Forest

Re: Concept art ahoy

Postby Chordsy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:02 pm

TheMobian wrote:I love the expressions you put on Xixa in those sketches.
I must say, of all the characters I've seen so far, Xixa has by far been the most interesting for me. I mean, A god-like being who knows everything thats ever happened and everything that will happen, who's also a little spacey and doesn't take her "job" seriously? Awesome, I'm also a big fan of non logical plans, and that design is just so awesome!


Haha! That's great!

I know it's not only unfair of me to choose a favorite character here, but it also may be impossible... I will say that Xixa has been one of my favorite character types to write. She's insanely complex and you don't get to delve into that until you see a few brief shining moments of how seriously she actually does take things. Needless to say, her history plays a HUGE part in the story. More than what you'd initially think/we've given away, even. :)

Night the Cat wrote:I love the idea of floating islands. They just look so cool. I also like Halcyon's design, especially in the test page. He almost looks more like a gargoyle than a bird with the way his beak is shaped.


I thought it'd be interesting if the planet didn't adhere to typical physics, like you'd find on Earth. I got the idea of doing a world that had levels: floating islands, a middle-ground, and an underground. Really shows through on that last sketch. As for Hal's face -- he's definitely one of my favorite to draw for that reason and I'm glad you dig it!
User avatar
Chordsy
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:42 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Concept art ahoy

Postby Night the Cat » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:10 pm

I'm glad you decided not to adhere to regular physics. Normalcy is so overrated. XD Seriously though, think you could do some sketches of the underground next? I'd like to see some of the underground avian citadel.
User avatar
Night the Cat
BumbleNewbie
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:03 pm
Location: Frog Forest

Re: Concept art ahoy

Postby CaleTheCat » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:41 am

These are amazing, Chordsy! I just love concepts, especially-

Chordsy wrote:Image


Hang on... That mask... It's... Kinda familiar...

:!:

I got it!

Spoiler: show
Image


Coincidence? Or inspiration?

Night: That's one awesome dragon!
User avatar
CaleTheCat
BumbleClan
 
Posts: 2878
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:30 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Concept art ahoy

Postby Speedlion » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:23 pm

CaleTheCat wrote:These are amazing, Chordsy! I just love concepts, especially-

Chordsy wrote:Image


Hang on... That mask... It's... Kinda familiar...

:!:

I got it!

Spoiler: show
Image


Coincidence? Or inspiration?

Night: That's one awesome dragon!


That's why I thought that mask looked familiar!

Though I doubt that's done intentionally... more like a coincidence...
User avatar
Speedlion
Honorary BumbleCult
 
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:24 pm
Location: Katwijk aan Zee - The Netherlands

Re: Concept art ahoy

Postby Chordsy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:44 pm

Speedlion wrote:
CaleTheCat wrote:These are amazing, Chordsy! I just love concepts, especially-

Chordsy wrote:Image


Hang on... That mask... It's... Kinda familiar...

:!:

I got it!

Spoiler: show
Image


Coincidence? Or inspiration?

Night: That's one awesome dragon!



That's why I thought that mask looked familiar!

Though I doubt that's done intentionally... more like a coincidence...


Haha! Coincidence!
My original inspiration came from Noh theatre masks and the cloak style from Iria the Animation. :)
User avatar
Chordsy
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:42 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Concept art ahoy

Postby Night the Cat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:11 pm

CaleTheCat wrote:Night: That's one awesome dragon!


Thanks. ^^ It was a Water Dragon. I didn't design it, but I did hatch it. Now I'm working on another one. :)

Hey Chordsy that pic up there is of Jaide right?
User avatar
Night the Cat
BumbleNewbie
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:03 pm
Location: Frog Forest

Re: Concept art ahoy

Postby Chordsy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:16 am

Night the Cat wrote:
CaleTheCat wrote:Night: That's one awesome dragon!


Thanks. ^^ It was a Water Dragon. I didn't design it, but I did hatch it. Now I'm working on another one. :)

Hey Chordsy that pic up there is of Jaide right?


'tis, yes :)
User avatar
Chordsy
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:42 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Next

Return to In Search of Shards - Sylvanna



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron