BKC Forum - Death Throes

Information Hub. MANDATORY READING WITHIN!
Rules, FAQs and More

Re: BKC Forum - Death Throes

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:33 pm

LilacDownDeep wrote:Then it is settled! I will be very, very happy to donate a few bucks or so to help out this cause! I can check if my friend Zach is able to work with these boards as well and see what he can do if Litch is unavailable.

That would be nice if you can get your friend to help fix the forum's bugs. I sure hope Ian Flynn finds a good workaround besides replacing the forum.

Toby wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:We can hold a marathon! =D

If you do this I will donate all the moneys!!!

Oh Toby, it would be nice if a marathon could happen so you could give all of the money needed to save the forum from getting replaced.
NiTROACTiVE
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:09 am

I feel I should make a point of saying that if we did do another marathon, it probably wouldn't be a production on the scale of the Lost World one (unless, for some reason, Ian really wants something like that...). Ideally, I'd think it should be smaller and more focused on the Bumbleking/Sonic community (which really, the last one seemed to be anyway, despite all efforts to the contrary). As it is, I've only recently recovered from putting together the last one, and I'm still working on various contest things there.

There was talk before about Unleashed and '06 if we had time, but it turns out the Xbox 360's connection wasn't suitable for our equipment. Easily remedied, just not at the time (a LOT of last minute stuff getting that together). I'd also love it if we could get classic games working right, too, as that was a complication we ran into in testing.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter right now. Again, something like this would be Ian's call, but now we've got the tools, and we've got the talent...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby TheFatPanda » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:36 pm

I DON'T LIKE CHANGE.

If a "clean up" of the forum we have now is doable, I'd go for that. If opening a new place is absolutely necessary, that's fine too.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Meliden » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:50 pm

Just coming in to point out a couple of problems I've had.

-The edit function borks every time I try and make an edit, although it fixes up after a refresh.
-The search function is completely broken.

Probably a repeat of what others have said, but oh well.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Spinehog » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Would there be a way to bring over old important threads?

Like say those old, old Q&As you did as Sonic characters?

That'd probably be the only thing I'd really miss..
Those were such a fun read..
Spinehog
BumbleNoble

Postby Ryu The Weredragon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:38 pm

Wait, that was on this forum in particular? Where? <_<
Ryu The Weredragon
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Spinehog wrote:Would there be a way to bring over old important threads?

Like say those old, old Q&As you did as Sonic characters?

That'd probably be the only thing I'd really miss..
Those were such a fun read..

I don't know. If we've got to bail ship to a whole other forum, this one would remain online for archive purposes, just locked to any new posts/user accounts.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby linebyline » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:37 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:Like the link offered earlier? I don't have phpMyAdmin. Plus, the only server access is FTP. So a lot of the typical tools aren't at my disposal, or for any technician.

The person writing the blog post used PhpMyAdmin, but the solution wasn't built into it. It was just the means by which the SQL query was run. If you have any way at all of running a query, then it should work. And "any way of running a query at all" includes a PHP script.

Assuming it would work, that is. I haven't tested the repair table query.

I'm inclined to think that something like this would work.
Code: Select all
<?php
$pdo = new PDO('mysql:host=localhost;dbname=YOURDATABASENAME', 'YOURUSERNAME', 'YOURPASSWORD');
if ($pdo->query('repair table TABLENAME')){
print 'Success!';
} else {
print 'Failure.';
}
?>

If you don't have PDO support you could use the mysqli extension or, if necessary, the old mysql extension to do the same thing.

In theory, you should just be able to copy that into a file (say, make_forum_not_die.php), upload it to your web space, replace the database/username/password values (and maybe the hostname depending on your setup), and then access it through a browser. In practice, I'd be leery about doing that until I had a chance to test it out.

Are you sure you don't know anyone at your web host who can run a mysqldump so you'll at least have the database backed up? Is there perhaps some way in PhBB's admin interface that will let you export threads? I really, really don't want to give you a "solution" that will cause data loss. So again, consider the above code brainstorming on my part.

Here's what the MMySQL docs have to say:
MySQL Reference Manual: 13.7.2.6. REPAIR TABLE Syntax wrote:Caution
It is best to make a backup of a table before performing a table repair operation; under some circumstances the operation might cause data loss. Possible causes include but are not limited to file system errors. See Chapter 7, Backup and Recovery.

Warning
If the server crashes during a REPAIR TABLE operation, it is essential after restarting it that you immediately execute another REPAIR TABLE statement for the table before performing any other operations on it. In the worst case, you might have a new clean index file without information about the data file, and then the next operation you perform could overwrite the data file. This is an unlikely but possible scenario that underscores the value of making a backup first.

So you'll definitely want to (a) take backups first and (b) take everything offline first. If you can't do that, contact your web host.

And again, to be clear, the above code snippet is untested and I am in no way guaranteeing that it will work. This is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Void where prohibited. Results may vary. Do not take if you are nursing, pregnant, or may become pregnant. May contain nuts.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck.
linebyline
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:52 am

This. This is the best post.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Speedlion » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:44 pm

Meliden wrote:Just coming in to point out a couple of problems I've had.

-The edit function borks every time I try and make an edit, although it fixes up after a refresh.

I would like to add a completely broken poll function...
Speedlion
Honorary BumbleCult

Postby Daluna13 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Speedlion wrote:
Meliden wrote:Just coming in to point out a couple of problems I've had.

I would like to add a completely broken poll function...

Alucard: Oh that's bad we need that right? Walter we need that right?

Walter: Yes very important.

Alucard: Thank you Walter

Walter: Of course Sir
Daluna13
BumbleNoble

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:06 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:This. This is the best post.

Seeing how Ian likes linebyline's informative post, this could mean that Ian could find a way to fix the forum without having to make a new one. If that's the case, I'll make linebyline a picture to honor what he did.
NiTROACTiVE
BumbleClan

Postby ShadowBat20 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Um, no idea if anyone else is having this problem, but I can't see a post. In the Mega Man 34 Preview thread, it says there's a new post, but when I click on the topic the post isn't there...just thought I should probably let someone know about that.
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

Postby BlackHawkOmega » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:44 am

NiTROACTiVE wrote:
Ian Flynn wrote:This. This is the best post.

Seeing how Ian likes linebyline's informative post, this could mean that Ian could find a way to fix the forum without having to make a new one. If that's the case, I'll make linebyline a picture to honor what he did.

Um... yes, we can gather that from what he said.
BlackHawkOmega
BumbleNoble

Postby SurrealBrain » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Here's to hoping the current forum can be fixed.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

PreviousNext

Return to BumbleKnowledgebase