BKC Forum - Death Throes

Information Hub. MANDATORY READING WITHIN!
Rules, FAQs and More

BKC Forum - Death Throes

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:53 pm

UPDATE: To email the admins, use BKC.Contact@yahoo.com!

UPDATE #2: The incredibly gracious Sunwalker has backed up all the forum!
Sunwalker wrote:By the way. Since the download link already went to the previous page (it was the last post of page 7 (hearty laughter)), I am posting it again:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6lh1atam3ble290/cmRqXKbv3Z
(for more info about the files, see my previous post)

Hey folks,

As some of you may have noticed, posting or searching for posts sometimes gives an error. This is, unfortunately, just the newest in a growing list of bugs in the forum, including but not limited to:
- timed bans acting as perma-bans
- resetting passwords lock accounts
- captcha doesn't work 100%, requiring manual activation of accounts
- emails sent from the forum don't always go through
- one or two accounts have simply vanished

Part of the issue, I'm sure, stems from the forum not having a proper update in years. Why? Because that's bugged too. And I have neither the time nor the technical prowess to figure out what's wrong.

So what are you going to do about it?

Ultimately: abandon ship. I'm looking at other forum options to set-up, retire this forum for archive purposes, and move everyone over to the new digs. This raises a number of questions, though:
- will everyone need to get used to a new interface?
- what perks and drawbacks would the new forum have?
- can I port over accounts so people don't lose their post-counts and preferences?

What I'd really like to do is have something custom built, but I don't have the funds for that kind of mammoth undertaking.

So what do we do for now?

Post as you usually do, and deal with the forum as best you can. I'll be trying to find time to research and implement the new forum, but it may be a while. This place has been limping along for a few years, it'll limp on for a few months more I'm sure. I hope.

Thanks for your patience, folks.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Re: BKC Forum - Death Throes

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:49 pm

So wait, let me get this straight. There are so many bugs going around this forum right now that you'll have to get a new forum thus ending this one? This can't be true at all...

There has to be some workaround for this. I mean, you could go to this or this page of the phpBB website so you could get help on how to solve the bugs without having to abandon ship.

If you however must abandon ship and have no other choice, then let's hope you can find a way to transfer all of the data (such as the threads, posts, forum categories) to the new forum.
NiTROACTiVE
BumbleClan

Postby Illustrious Q » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:52 pm

The post counts at the very least would be wonderful. JC would be crushed if he lost his current title. :P
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby Ryu The Weredragon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:56 pm

Awww, man. D= And I just got here!

As long as you keep us updated on where to go though, I guess that'd be good.

And yeah, what Q said, I guess.
Ryu The Weredragon
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:05 pm

My main concern about transferring accounts is that there are currently hundreds of inactive spam accounts, with dozens added every day. Any account transfer programs will probably be simple wholesale moves, which would mean the new forum would start off with extra bloat.

Now, I could go through and manually delete them all. But that would be extremely time-consuming, and would require the forum to be offline for days before any actual transfer and launch of the new one happened.

At this point, transferring actual posts is probably not going to happen. The sheer volume of material on these boards is staggering. During the last server move, we almost had to drop transferring the forum at all - the database was that big. When this forum is retired, I'll keep it around for archive purposes.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Toby » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:07 pm

Sometimes these things happen. As long as the old board remains as an archive, I can't really see a reason to complain. JC can have fun gaining such a huge post count again. :p
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby theJcfreak » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:29 pm

On one hand boo my post count. On the other hand I have to say it's about time we made the upgrade to a bigger better board. Bring it on, can't wait to see what we gain from the upgrade.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby The KKM » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:32 pm

Proboards seems a good free alternative, at least at a first stage, no?
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:33 pm

Curse you, SEGA! First the names, then the characters' looks, then the world, and now the forum...

A new forum won't be the same forum I've been visiting for years! How can I possibly hope to get invested with posting in a new forum? It's like everything we've posted here won't even have mattered at all!

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Toby » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:39 pm

I wish I could hug you (hearty laughter)
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:53 pm

I wish I could hug me, too. =(

Also, on an unrelated note, Scruffy has his work cut out for him...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby ShadowBat20 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:38 pm

My little sister drew a weird little doodle to inform me about this (wish I could post it, it's kinda funny :P ). I'll miss the ol' BK, but as long as it's archived, and we get a brand new super awesome forum in its place, I'll be okay. :)

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Curse you, SEGA! First the names, then the characters' looks, then the world, and now the forum...

A new forum won't be the same forum I've been visiting for years! How can I possibly hope to get invested with posting in a new forum? It's like everything we've posted here won't even have mattered at all!

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Way too perfect. XD
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:52 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Curse you, SEGA! First the names, then the characters' looks, then the world, and now the forum...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I applaud your satire.

I now cringe in anticipation for the rumors to start flying that it is SEGA's fault somehow. "I saw it on BrambleThing! One of the mods said it!"

Please Please PLEASE if you see someone spouting such nonsense elsewhere, kindly correct them.

On an unrelated note - I suppose this post could serve as a good place for folks to nominate board options. What other forums do you go to? What do you like or dislike about them? Website, mod capabilities, etc. I'm open to suggestions.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Dimzjak » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:09 am

-
Last edited by Dimzjak on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dimzjak
BumbleNoble

Postby apprentice manta » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:30 am

I followed you guys here from Knothole Village (Sonic HQ's old Mobius Forums). I'm sure I can find the new board, too. You won't be rid of me that easily! *attaches Internet tracking cookies* Mwa ha ha!
apprentice manta
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to BumbleKnowledgebase