Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the most prominent multimedia franchises to have debuted since the 1990s, and it has dominated my career for ten years and counting. Some milestones in my run with the little blue hedgehog:
• In 2016, I became the single most prolific writer of Sonic the Hedgehog comic book material in the history of the franchise with over 230 issues to my name.
• In 2018, my first four issues for IDW’s Sonic the Hedgehog sold out and went into second printings. The first issue sold out twice, receiving three printings.
• I am the single most prolific writer in the franchise having written material featured in comics, television and videogames
• I revived the characters Bean the Dynamite and Bark the Polar Bear and paired them with Fang the Sniper (a.k.a. Nack the Weasel) in the Archie Comics. This trio was later accepted into the games first as cameos (Sonic Generations), then as a boss encounter (Sonic Mania).
• Created the character Og the Froglydite for the second season of Sonic Boom, who has since become a reoccurring character.
|SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (IDW)
Writer and creative lead for IDW’s new take on Sonic’s comic adventures.
|SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (Archie)
(March 2006 – 2016)
Manuscript writer and main creative director for Archie Comic’s top-selling monthly comic, as well as their annual Free Comic Book Day edition (since 2007). I am the regular writer of the monthly solicit previews. Previously I maintained material for the blog which contained product information, reader correspondence and in-character material.
(February 2009 – 2016)
SU#1-32, 37-54, 59-70, 75-78, 90+
Co-plotted #71-74, 91-94
Manuscript writer and main creative director for this spin-off to Archie Comic’s top-selling monthly comic. Prepared project for launch. Additionally I’ve done solicit advertisements and material for the blog which contained product information, reader correspondence and in-character material.
Wrote the limited series focusing on Classic-era Sonic the Hedgehog series. The story was specifically stylized the mimic the style of a 90s videogame.
(October 2014 – August 2015)
Sonic Boom #1-4, 6-10
Lead writer for the tie-in comic to the spin-off franchise, Sonic Boom. Worked with the series producers to produce short, comedy-centric stories that loosely fit within the context of the cartoon series.
(March ’07 – February ’09)
SX #16-17, 23, 25-27, 30-32, 34-35, 37-40
Manuscript writer for this spin-off comic to SEGA and 4Kids Productions hit anime series, produced by Archie Comics. Prepared series finale and carry over into launch of “Sonic Universe” project. Additionally did solicit advertisements.
|SONIC / MEGA MAN CROSSOVER #1
(April – August 2013)
• Mega Man #24-27
• Sonic the Hedgehog #248-251
• Sonic Universe #51-54
Creative lead and writer for this unprecedented crossover of licensed game material for Archie comics. Worked with Archie editorial, SEGA and Capcom to produce a twelve-part series that represented and pleased all parties involved.
Additionally wrote the script for the promotional trailer. The trailer can be found here.
|SONIC / MEGA MAN CROSSOVER #2
• Mega Man #50-52
• Mega Man: Worlds Unite Battles #1 (2 stories)
• Sonic Boom #8-10
• Sonic the Hedgehog #273-275
• Sonic Universe #76-78
Wrote the scripts for the sequel crossover event to the wildly successful “Worlds Collide.” Worked with multiple developers to bring together sixteen different franchises into one adventure.
GRAPHIC NOVELS, TRADES & LONG-FORM PUBLICATIONS
|SONIC SUPER SPECIAL &
SONIC SUPER DIGEST
Quarterly publications. Contributed articles and other original written material. Wrote the “Sonic Comic Origins” series of short stories, bridging events and revealing characters’ backstories.
|SONIC THE HEDGEHOG SERIES
Contributed afterwords, forwards, interviews and/or have work reprinted in the following trades:
Episode 206 – “Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Worse-er” (Dec. 17th 2016)
Episode 215 – “Og Man Out” (Feb. 18th, 2017)
(Beginning October ’17)
Wrote online-exclusive comics used to promote the game before release.
Story 1 | Story 2 | Story 3 | Story 4
Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal
Wrote the script for “Sonic Boom – Prelude,” a short comic included on the game card for Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal. I coordinated with the developers to write a story intended as a lead-in to the game’s story.
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Wrote the script for “Sand, Spirits and Sonic Speed,” featured with the game Sonic and the Secret Rings. This motion-lite comic was included as a promotional bonus with game disks sold from Target stores. I additionally did the page breakdown art for the story.